PDA

View Full Version : pharmacy ever give you MORE than your prescription is for?

starla
03-12-2010, 09:20 AM
yep.. have you ever counted your pills to find that you've been given more than you should have?

yesterday when i went to pick up my bottle of klonopins i thought something was off when i shook the bottle.. so i counted them. 30 extra pills! i was excited but sad it wasn't my opiates they effed up on.. oh well, can't win 'em all. ;)

i've heard a lot about people being shorted a pill or 2, now i wanna know if the opposite ever happens.

this is not an 'oh my god, am i gonna get in trouble? should i turn them in, HALP!' thread. i'm keepin them.

SeVeN
03-12-2010, 09:42 AM
Never had this happen. I like to think Id turn them back in just to gain cred, But, the pharmacist would have to throw them away anyways. I just hope no one gets in trouble when the do inventory.

Congrats.

Papa Verine
03-12-2010, 09:54 AM
This has happened to me a couple times.

The biggest such fuck-up I can remember is when my sister was getting a script filled, and they actually gave her the bottle they filled from instead of her bottle. She was given over 100 extra pills in the manufacturer's bottle.

Too bad it wasn't anything good.

Import
03-12-2010, 09:58 AM
Wow, win!!!
Although personaly, I would take them back. They have a lot of accountability for narcotic meds, and that extra thirty could lose somebody their job (I think). I couldn't blame you for not reurning them, but your score could really hurt somebody else. And for klonopins?

Im not tryin to say that you need to return them, but just wanna give you something to think about.

Congrats again though!
Ive never heard of this happening before.

opi8fiend
03-12-2010, 10:04 AM
A friend of mine received 10 extra fent patches 50 mcgs, he didn't want to get in trouble, he's pretty good with his pharmacist so he called and told them and they said just to keep them for future use because they'd just throw em away! Crazy! I'm mean that's a tightly regulated CII substance. Needless to say he kept em and was a happy man! Haha.

OCD
03-12-2010, 10:09 AM
One time I had the pharmacy give me 89 lortab when it was supposed to be 90. I didn't say a word about it. No big deal. Then, the very next month when I picked up my lortab there was 91 in there! It's so weird, it's like they knew they shorted me 1 the month before. Ever since then it's been 90 every time. It's a very strange coincidence.

Nonphixion
03-12-2010, 11:00 AM
I got 1 extra klonopin once.

MEKONE
03-12-2010, 11:23 AM
I ALWAYS count my pills as soon as I leave the pharm. and up until last month I never got any extras or any less.However,last month I ended up with 11 extra Opana Ir's and this month 6 extras.
Not like it's an extra bottle but still good shit.

starla
03-12-2010, 01:24 PM
very nice, mekone.. as i said earlier, i wish this had happened with my roxies instead. boo.

klonopins aren't my doc.. so, if they catch up to their mistake i will still have the extra 30. since they throw them away anyways i wonder if they could just subtract that amount from my next months script?

i'm not worried about anyone losing their job, though. this doctors office is ran by a group of friends/family. guess who the pharmacist is? the main doctors daughter. i don't think she will fire her. yall got me thinkin' though. buzzkills. :( kiddin.

i've still got some time to decide what to do. i just don't want them thrown away when they could easily consider using them for my script next month.

not sure if they even throw pills away anyways. if you get a script and it doesn't work out for you.. they ask that you bring them back to the doctors, not the pharmacy because they give them to people who need that prescription but can't afford it, or as samples. which i would think would be illegal? i know they do it, though.. i have a family member who works at said doctors office and has seen it done and heard it mentioned multiple times. my grandmother even took back some neurontin for them to give to another patient. they were capsules.. she couldve put anything inside them. sound illegal? i think so.

nick
03-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Yeah,happened to me and it nearly killed me.

Computerdoc80
03-12-2010, 02:35 PM
A couple of years ago, when I picked up my hydro prescription, I found an extra bottle in the bag with 100 7.5's. It had someone elses name on it. Did I return the extra bottle?? HELL NO!!
Never heard anything else about it.

starla
03-12-2010, 02:42 PM
Yeah,happened to me and it nearly killed me.

well, that's awful. what happened, if you don't mind me asking?

hovadagod
03-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I once was given 60 clonaz instead of 30. Was great a great day. Another time a pharmacist gave me 15 percs instead of 30 and I went back and made a huge scene. They reluctantly gave the pills to me acting like it was somehow my fault.

OrangeLude
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
about 1.5 years ago....just about the time Vicodin were almost meaningless and I was CWE a lot of them....I got a script from my Dentist for 12 5/500's....when I picked them up from CVS the bag felt heavy but I didn't think about it...

when I got home the pharmacist must have put whatever was going back into stock into my vial and the 12 for me went back to stock... the numbers were relatively small so there was never a call out or a call back...in my vial there were 29 of the white f*ckers....almost 3x my prescription.

Nice gift.

nick
03-12-2010, 03:27 PM
well, that's awful. what happened, if you don't mind me asking?

I picked up on a Monday as soon as the pharmacy opened,as usual,because by then I'd be getting sick.Went home,ripped open a box,loaded a works,shot up and collapsed.
In my hurry to get well I hadn't noticed I'd been given 100mg amps as opposed to 10 mgs.

Woke hours later,in my own vomit with the works still in my arm.

dolofina
03-12-2010, 03:34 PM
The last time I picked up my 2mg each Suboxone script, the pharmacy
had mistakenly given me 8mg pills instead of the 2mg pills.
I called my Dr. and told him about it, and he made me trade back in
the 8mg pills for the original 2 mg pills.

Paregoric Kid
03-12-2010, 04:26 PM
yeah one time I went to a pharmacy I don't usually get my meds filled at and when I went home and counted them (ritalin) I realized they gave me like 5 extra.

snave2222
03-12-2010, 04:49 PM
Way back when I first started having pain issues and was getting Lortab (ughh APAP, but wow that stuff used to actually work on me) scripts from two different doctors, the pharmacy would sometimes screw up and call in to both doctors when I requested a refill. As such, I'd end up with 240 pills instead of 120 at a time (or whatever the actual number was.)

HandMeSomeOpiates
03-12-2010, 04:50 PM
A couple of years ago, when I picked up my hydro prescription, I found an extra bottle in the bag with 100 7.5's. It had someone elses name on it. Did I return the extra bottle?? HELL NO!!
Never heard anything else about it.
I couldn't say I wouldn't have done the same bro. I would have been like FUCK YEAH!! JACKPOT! :D

kolesmiv
03-12-2010, 04:55 PM
I picked up on a Monday as soon as the pharmacy opened,as usual,because by then I'd be getting sick.Went home,ripped open a box,loaded a works,shot up and collapsed.
In my hurry to get well I hadn't noticed I'd been given 100mg amps as opposed to 10 mgs.

Woke hours later,in my own vomit with the works still in my arm.

That's pretty fucked up (But awesome at the same time). Had you died it could've been a mess of shit for the pharmacy. Did you call them and tell them what had happened? Or were ya just more careful the next time :cool:

jersey_emt
03-12-2010, 05:03 PM
It's happened a few times to me. Only a couple of pills, I think 5 extra was the most on any controlled substances.

Uncontrolled substances I've been way off a couple of times. A couple of years ago I received something like 132 Soma's on a 90-count script.

nick
03-12-2010, 05:16 PM
That's pretty fucked up (But awesome at the same time). Had you died it could've been a mess of shit for the pharmacy. Did you call them and tell them what had happened? Or were ya just more careful the next time :cool:

I went back and told the pharmacist.Hell,she was a friend of mine.So,I felt obliged to go tell her that she'd made a mistake of this magnitude.

She retired shortly afterwards.

Oh and I'm a lot more careful than I used to be.

ox-e
03-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I was once given 240 30mg roxies in place of 240 15mg roxies. I was shorted 60 pills once when the pharmacist didnt look at the new quanity from 180 to 240 and just filled the quantity in the computer. I immediately knew something was wrong though and luckily it had been like 2 minutes and I wasnt even out the door yet, the guy knew he only filled 180 and added the rest into it.

But anyway dont ever give back the pills if its a increase in quantity or dose, it wont score you points with the pharmacist. Do what I did, I did all the roxy 30s that one time then on my next doctor visit I brought him the bottle and asked him if my script was changed or did they mess up. After he saw I had been on 30s for the entire month he bumped me to that script because he knew the 15s would be too weak now that i was on 30s.

It was a pretty obvious mistake which made it funny, it was two 30mg blue mallinckrodt bottle, and a regular blue bottle with the other 40 in it with my script saying roxicodone 15mg taped around it while the factory bottle clearly said 30mg roxicodone. How the obvious bottle color slipped past them is beyond me. I wish I could just get an even 300 or something or 250 if they made them in sealed 100s and 50s that way I didnt have to deal with counting since I would know whats in their due to the seal.

RxQueen
03-13-2010, 03:14 AM
just a few months ago i got 2 extra 15mg roxies in a script. but one time (a year or more ago), i was scripted #120 10mg percs a month. one month, in order to catch my 2 scripts up to fill at the same time, my doctor wrote me a 15 day refill instead of a 30 day. i filled it and went home without checking it. when i did look, i found out that the pharmacist had just filled my regular 120-count off the computer! it was like a test from the opio-gods or something.... i was actually on the floor crying and moaning, cuz i knew that i had to take those 60 extras back. my pharmacists are good guys, and i KNEW that i was one of VERY VERY few people at that small place taking those particular pills. if i'd have kept them, one of the two would have absolutely lost their job. doubling a schII script is a big deal.

but that's not to say that i didn't skim 20 or so off the top for myself.... i'm fairly sure that he knew what was up with that. when i turned them in and he gave me the correct 60-count bottle, he gave me a little "wink & nod" when he profusely thanked me. then he went to count them as i filled another script for one of my other (non-controlled) meds.... and got a sly smile from him when he gave those ones to me. if you have a good pharmacist, and a good solid relationship with them, treat them well.... it's nearly as good as having a great doctor.

panda
03-13-2010, 03:18 AM
my pmc, goes through a compounding pharmacy and they come in sealed bubble packs, that have a number next to each pill. each sheet counts up to 30, so i get 3 sheets. so it makes it nearly impossible to get extra:(. but also impossible to get shorted:).

my regular doctor goes behind my pain doctors back, and gives me roxi 15s, so i have to use a different pharmacy. i take my roxis to a cvs, and a few times i got 10 extra. they have to know, because my script is for 90 and they give me that mallie bottle! i honestly think the pharmacist has a crush on me or something, and knows i am a junky. she could easily look and see how many scripts i was bringing in from ERs and such.

(in reality she probably don't have a crush on me. she was just probably being lazy and wanted the junky out of the store, in fear that all my slobber would make another customer slip and die)

nycjrt
03-13-2010, 03:58 AM
Nick that is some scary scary shit, glad you made it through.
When I started on Buprenorphine (ampules), there was only one chain of mom & pop pharmacies in the whole city who stocked it. The pharmacy obviously worked in conjunction with the 'clinic' doctors and 'steerers' (ads in back of village voice) - all of whom had to be paid in cash- no insurance, or even a credit card. A typical script was for 150 amps of Bupe, 150 syringes; AND a month's worth supply of: Ambien; Xanax; Clonidine; Soma; Buspar; maybe one or two other...I'm surprised with that combo nobody pulled a Heath Ledger/DJ AM, etc (RIP all)
One month when I ran out of Bupe, went back to my baby dope habit, I ran out of $ but I went to an internist from my insurance, instead of the 'clinic'. The dr. refused to write me any scripts for the 'comfort' meds, but did say he would give me 10 ampules (one box) of Buprenex with which I had to taper off, he was adamant about not repeating this...
I went to the regular 'Bupe' pharmacy, as I knew they would have it in stock - imagine my surprise when I went to pick up the prescription, i expected a little baggie but instead had a proper shopping bag - they gave me 10 boxes of bupe (100 ampules:D) ! I knew it was one of the co-owners who filled the script, so I didn't worry about some kid getting fired - I gladly paid for my '10' amps, almost got fag-bashed on the way home because I was skipping like a little girl getting onto the subway.

Billy the kid
03-13-2010, 04:54 AM
Ive heard of it happening to others. Something similar happend to me. I got a script for 10 valium and they read it wrong and it said 30 on the bottle. Sure enough 30 pills instead of 10. It did more harm then good since i had been tapering at the time. I should sue em! j/k

Dhedmo
03-13-2010, 06:05 AM
You know, that reminds me of a story...

Nope. Never happened.

this is not an 'oh my god, am i gonna get in trouble? should i turn them in, HALP!' thread. i'm keepin them.

LOL

And OCD that shit was weird.

Young Professor
03-15-2010, 09:32 PM
It's only happened to me once, and it was BIG mistake by the pharmacy. The pharmacist was about 80 years old...No shit....So, I'm sure that was the issue. Anyway, back about 10 years ago before I was in PM, I had a bad sinus infection and a headache from hell that wouldn't go away....Lots of pressure.

Long story short, the Doc gave me 30 Amoxicillin @ 3 x day for 10 days and 30 Lortab for pain. Well, the old pharmacist filled both scrips with Lortabs. So, I got 60 Lortabs and no antibiotics. And because it was before I really knew anything about PM & etc. It took me a about 3-4 doses before I caught on....I was taking the same pill for both and didn't know it. My only defense for being a dumbass was that (1) I didn't know anything about PM at the time and (2) They were both generics and I didn't pay any attention to a while oblong pill....Didn't notice they were the same because I was taking them at different times of the day.

I went back to the pharmacy because I desperately needed the antibiotic, and they switched them out for the right pills. Needless to say, had something like that happened with a more potent med, or re: a child, it could have caused some real issues. As you would imagine, they were very embarrassed.

Makes me wonder how many true mistakes are really made. They have to happen, because of this:

- Kapidex name change due to misktake for "Kadian."

http://www.aboutlawsuits.com/kapidex-medication-errors-name-change-8776/

Regards,

YP

hero 1
03-15-2010, 09:46 PM
I got 30 extra 80mg ocs one time
didnt say shit never was ever brought up
still use the same pharmacy