PDA

View Full Version : Butalbital

whiterobot122
02-28-2010, 01:36 PM
Hi, I have been on MMT for about 10 months now, 50mg/a day. Would it be safe to take 50 - 100mg Butalbital for a bad headache? Also, another reason I'm asking, will it potentiate the analgesic effects of methadone? I have been in quite a bit of pain for the past week and have 2, 50mg Butalbital/caffeine/apap combo, is there any general precaution I should take other than the normal "combining depressants with narcotics"?

JonnyM
02-28-2010, 02:28 PM
Mixing barbs (this one you probably know more commonly as Fioricet) and opiates/opiods is really dangerous...

That being said this is what wikipedia has to say

Many opioid-dependent persons frequently use barbiturates as a potentiator to their normal dose of opiates in order to increase the effects, or with a less than normal dose as means of conserving their supply. Especially when used with the stronger Schedule II narcotics, suicide or accidental death occurs much more frequently than first reported with one drug alone. Use of alcohol, benzodiazepines, and other CNS-depressants often also contribute to respiratory depression, coma, and in extreme cases fatality.

Papa Verine
02-28-2010, 02:42 PM
I know this site is about harm reduction and all that... but the Butalbital in Fioricet is very weak. The sedative effects are counteracted by the caffeine, if that tells you anything.

I've mixed them with many things, and never had a problem. I think one or two on top of your methadone dose would be fine, as long as the meth dose you're on doesn't normally have you nodding out.

edit: If the 50mg of done you're on doesn't sedate you heavily, you're OK. There's no magical drug combo, where you can combine a small dose of one and a small dose of another, and accidentally OD. Mixing is dangerous in moderate to high dosages.

whiterobot122
02-28-2010, 03:50 PM
thanks for the help, and yea I read that on wiki, but theres not much info in general on butalbital, other than the normal mixing cns depressants with opioids talk, which I am very aware of. I'm just really hurting and if this could help, it'd be really nice. not looking to get fucked up in anyway, just want to be able to move in an inch without hurting all over, not to mention my head.

Carmen
02-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Do NOT take fioricet with methadone!!! unless you want to have methadone withdrawals. Their isnt much information out on this, but alot of people have experienced this, as myself also, several times. Also alot of people vomit on fioricet also, i've had this happen to several of my friends and sometimes myself also. I use o be addicted to them and loved them when I took oxys, but i does not mix well with methadone at all!!

Be careful!!

whiterobot122
02-28-2010, 04:15 PM
well nevermind then, thanks for looking out.

RxQueen
03-01-2010, 12:21 AM
Do NOT take fioricet with methadone!!! unless you want to have methadone withdrawals. Their isnt much information out on this, but alot of people have experienced this, as myself also, several times. Also alot of people vomit on fioricet also, i've had this happen to several of my friends and sometimes myself also. I use o be addicted to them and loved them when I took oxys, but i does not mix well with methadone at all!!

Be careful!!

what? am i totally misunderstanding something, or are you saying that fioricet causes 'done WD? cuz there's no way that's true. it's not like narcan or something... if it made you vomit, it's probably one of 2 reasons... either the combo of barb + 'done got you over the edge of your tolerance, or simply that fioricet can cause nausea on its own (moreso IMO than some of the stronger barbs).

i still think that the combo (in reasonable doses) would be fine. fioricet is great for headaches, especially migraine type headaches. but it definitely doesn't cause methadone withdrawal.

Billy the kid
03-01-2010, 03:18 AM

Be careful!!
+ 1
In fact most barbs, especially phenobarbital and butalbital, can cause wd from methadone. It is the same enzyme reaction of why you aren't supposed to take anti convulsants that affect this pathway!
Edit=It has to do with enzymes and metabolism not antagonist and pwds. It won't put you in "instant withdrawls" but it will make your dose not absorb as well thus leading to wd.

Papa Verine
03-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I didn't know any of this. Never heard it before... If it's true, and barbs actually will increase the elimination of methadone from your system, then I'm very sorry for posting what I did up there.

Going to go do some reading up on this...

whiterobot122
03-01-2010, 10:03 AM
actually, this does remind me, I was reading on what drugs affect the elimination of methadone from the body and barbituates were found to excrete it from your body alot faster than normal. people were waking up in withdrawal on mmt. Along with excessive alcohol use.

Restharrow
03-01-2010, 10:22 AM
Off topic, but how is the Butalbital for pain relief if you are NOT on Mdone?

I am having problems with acute pain episodes (believed to be nerve damage). So far, the best pain killer is Neurontin plus opiates).

Never tried the Bu --thingy.

Will

whiterobot122
03-01-2010, 10:38 AM
I could not tell ya, want 2 to try? haha justtttt kidding. seems to me like it would offer some decent pain relief, and help take your mind off it.

More Feen
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Before my doctor (from 20 years ago) would use T3s for me, he wanted me to try Fioricet/Fiorinal.

I'm glad that others experienced pain relief from Butalbital, but it did absolutely nothing for me.

I would be interested in trying Fiorinal #3 (with codeine), that would probably work a little bit better than Fiorinal alone, and maybe even T3 alone.

I think these would be good for stress-related headaches.

M F

PS- If you wiki Fiorinal, you can learn of a canadian doctor (small "c" 'cause of the hockey game yesterday) who demanded sexual favours from one of his patients who wanted continued Rx for Fiorinal.

---Jeez, for Fiorinal??!!??

Starting in 1982, she began seeing Dr. Wynrib, an elderly physician, and he began giving Norberg florinal under the pretext of an ankle injury. In exchange, Wynrib demanded sexual favours (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_favour). She eventually brought an action against him for sexual assault.