PDA

View Full Version : xanax and klonopin mix, potentiation? cross tolerance? dose equivilancy?

Reeferz
02-22-2010, 02:43 PM
hey guys, so SWIM is prescribed xanax and usually takes anywhere from 4-8mg a day.

they didnt like having to pop quarters of bars every hour or so so they wanted to try the kpins to kinda keep the benzo feeling/anxiety relief steady, while using the xanax in times of increased stress/anxiety or just for the occasional recreational evening.

they wanted to try klonopin so SWIM bought about 10 of them off of a buddy from school.

weve heard that alprazolam(xanax) and clonazepam(klonopin) are equal in strength per mg, as in 1mg alprazolam = 1 mg clonazepam, just that the xanny is faster acting.

so their question is this:

is it dangerous to mix the two benzos?

if they take 4mg of the klonopin and 4mg of the xanax is that equal to taking 8mg of either one on their own?

Thanat0s
02-23-2010, 08:21 AM
thing to remember is that clonazepam has a much longer half life than alprazolam.

immediate dosing is equiv, but if you REDOSE in a 8 hrs remember you have some clonaz still hanging around.

id be very careful dosing both benzos AND oxy.

benzos alone arent really 'dangerous'
only when used in high enough doses in concert with another depressant like alcohol or opiates.

esp if you arent used to clonazepam... start small,
and wait 'long enough' between dosing.

Reeferz
02-23-2010, 08:45 AM
thing to remember is that clonazepam has a much longer half life than alprazolam.

immediate dosing is equiv, but if you REDOSE in a 8 hrs remember you have some clonaz still hanging around.

id be very careful dosing both benzos AND oxy.

benzos alone aren't really 'dangerous'
only when used in high enough doses in concert with another depressant like alcohol or opiates.

esp if you aren't used to clonazepam... start small,
and wait 'long enough' between dosing.

i dont actually use oxy anymore, im on a sub taper through my doctor. the half life thing is definitely helpful info, thanks for that. instead of taking the xanny this morning two 2mg klonopins (4mg total) were taken, gonna give it some time because it is longer acting than the xanax, well see how that turns out. first time being on clonazepam without already having taken some alprazolam.

swim's benzo tolerance is pretty solid and i havnt blacked out from taking benzos in around a year. i know its a bitch to kick and im going to have to start tapering soon, but for now im steady at these doseages.

so after taking the 4mg clonazepam is it safe to pop a quarter of a bar here or there throughout the day? probably totalling around 4mg kpin and 2-4mg xanax by the end of the night.

Thanat0s
02-23-2010, 08:53 AM
i dont actually use oxy anymore, im on a sub taper through my doctor. the half life thing is definitely helpful info, thanks for that. instead of taking the xanny this morning two 2mg klonopins (4mg total) were taken, gonna give it some time because it is longer acting than the xanax, well see how that turns out. first time being on clonazepam without already having taken some alprazolam.

swim's benzo tolerance is pretty solid and i havnt blacked out from taking benzos in around a year. i know its a bitch to kick and im going to have to start tapering soon, but for now im steady at these doseages.

so after taking the 4mg clonazepam is it safe to pop a quarter of a bar here or there throughout the day? probably totalling around 4mg kpin and 2-4mg xanax by the end of the night.

using the kpins for 'maintinence'/general
and the xanax for acute issues/panic attacks (wtf ever you need em for)
is reasonable,
id try keeping the xanax to a minimum if youre going to be regular with the klonopin,

gonna suck to kick.
think if you really want to have to deal with kicking a long half life benzo like clonazepam.

if yer mainly a recreational user,
id stick with xanax only,
unless yer some kind of masochist.

Reeferz
02-23-2010, 09:02 AM
thanks for all your input thanat0s, i think ill just use these 10 kpins i got then just stick with the xanax.

benzo wd is hell on earth, ill take the short one over the long one lol.

kinda sux though because these kpins are kickin in and i kinda like the relaxed feeling without being too messy.

ive been through benzo w/d from xanax alone before, had a seizure and all that, i can only imagine a longer acting one would be harder to kick, as the agony will be sloow and dragged out.

Restharrow
02-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Thantos was correct. I have been scripted both and the Klon. will build up in your system. I find that .75 mg. of Klon is equal to 1.5 mg. of Xanax when taken on a daily basis. The immediate effect was about the same. the 3rd day I was on Klon. my wife thought I had been drinking during the day.

Be careful. It sneaks up on you. I had to experience it myself to understand it.
Will

Thanat0s
02-23-2010, 09:19 AM
thanks for all your input thanat0s, i think ill just use these 10 kpins i got then just stick with the xanax.

benzo wd is hell on earth, ill take the short one over the long one lol.

kinda sux though because these kpins are kickin in and i kinda like the relaxed feeling without being too messy.

ive been through benzo w/d from xanax alone before, had a seizure and all that, i can only imagine a longer acting one would be harder to kick, as the agony will be sloow and dragged out.

im scripted 1mg kpin daily,
xanax i couldnt maintain on, and even with the kpins
someone else has to hold my bottle.

if you NEED the meds talk to yer doc about switching to a longer acting benzo like klonopin,
i have been trying to get diazepam, but no dice,
yet.

chopstix
02-23-2010, 09:23 AM
I mix benzos all the time, mostly ativan and xanax, but always Valium at night. My use of the other two short acting ones is kinda off and on, but I know the long acting one (valium) will take me about a year to taper off of once I get everything else out of my system..

Reeferz
02-23-2010, 10:17 AM
how would you guys compare the feeling of clonazepam to diazepam? ive never taken valium and have always wondered what "kind" of benzo high it gives you. is it more like xanax where it hits hard and fast? or like the clonazepam where it takes a little while to kick in and lasts a little longer at a lower intensity.

since kpins and valiums are both longer acting ive wondered the difference. which one would be more euphoric? just out of curiosities sake, i dont think my doc will prescribe either with the suboxone im on, thats alot of drugs with long half lives, i think he keeps me on the xannies because of the short half life, so its not building up in my system alongside the suboxone. im not sure.

JonnyM
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
how would you guys compare the feeling of clonazepam to diazepam? ive never taken valium and have always wondered what "kind" of benzo high it gives you. is it more like xanax where it hits hard and fast? or like the clonazepam where it takes a little while to kick in and lasts a little longer at a lower intensity.

Diazepam is another long acting benzo similar to clonazepam however in my experience I would say the k-pins are a bit stronger.

The equivalency is .5mg Clonazepam to 10mg Diazepam.

Papa Verine
02-23-2010, 10:33 AM
I've been mixing benzos for many years. It's not the kind of synergic effect where 1mg + 1mg = 4mg. You'll get roughly the same effects from each different benzo, the major differnece between them are the duration of action. If I take loads of Klonopin one night, I'll feel it well into the next day. With Xanax, it's pretty much over by the time I wake up and have my coffee.

Thanat0s
02-23-2010, 10:38 AM

since kpins and valiums are both longer acting ive wondered the difference. which one would be more euphoric? just out of curiosities sake, i dont think my doc will prescribe either with the suboxone im on, thats alot of drugs with long half lives, i think he keeps me on the xannies because of the short half life, so its not building up in my system alongside the suboxone. im not sure.

valium is by FAR the longest acting of the 'common' benzos,
i find 10mg diaz = 2mg clonaz
the diazepam being by far the most euphoric and relaxing for me.

if the xanax WORKS for you, recreation not included,
stick with it,
the kick from the longer acting aint pleasant,
and i find some benzos just DONT help me,
its hard not to abuse the things, but when you NEED em,
sometimes you have to pick the less 'fun' choice
for actual medical reasons.

weird...

RxQueen
02-24-2010, 01:59 AM
i just wanted to add that if & when you ever do decide to kick, you'll need to switch to a long-acting one to taper with. valium or kpins are ideal for this, since you can keep a certain amount of it constant in your system while you decrease your dose. it's not a fun process (i needed to taper really slow over about 9 months to kick a 12 year daily benzo habit), but it'll reduce your seizure risk humongously.