PDA

View Full Version : Tussionex

ShamanicHaze
02-21-2010, 10:07 PM
Who else loves this stuff? It's probably my favorite next to oxymorphone.

paroxetina
02-21-2010, 10:23 PM
Who else loves this stuff? It's probably my favorite next to oxymorphone.

God, I fucking love tussionex. Even in high doses, I don't find it too sedating. It gives me a warmth that I can't get anymore from other opiates. Lasts quite a while, too. I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd take a bottle of tussionex over dilaudid, fent, oxy, or opana.

Plus, the taste is GREAT! Our office's drug rep for tussionex handed out some scented highlighters that smell JUST like it. But I can't use em cause it makes me crave it :)

ShamanicHaze
02-21-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd take it over fentanyl, morphine, and oxycodone, for sure.

Brony
02-21-2010, 11:45 PM
<snip> I'm probably in the minority here, but I'd take a bottle of tussionex over dilaudid, fent, oxy, or opana.<snip>

I'd take it over fentanyl, morphine, and oxycodone, for sure.

Blasphemy!!!!!!

Taking a C-III opiate over a C-II?!?!?!!!! I think I'm going to faint.

:D:p

Tussionex is most certainly the Cadillac of cough syrups in my book. I never seem to get it though, almost always get the ol' Robitussin with codeine or Phenergan with codeine.

Duckfeet
02-21-2010, 11:54 PM
In the old days, that was only intro to hydrocodone any of us had...it was all oxycodone--percodan, codeine, usually empirin #3, and good old k4 dilaudid....no other hydrocodone pills, that I ever saw anyway...

We first bumped into tussionex when the docs would give it for coughs...couldn't believe the buzz...or course, years later they came out w/vicodin, then norcos and stuff...and finally oxycontin, which changed the world...

But tussionex was a weird and unusual buzz we all started getting from docs around the same time...cough cough cough...one day, one time only, during this period, some doc gave me *dilaudid* cough syrup...

That was better. :-)

paroxetina
02-22-2010, 12:07 AM
Blasphemy!!!!!!

Tussionex is most certainly the Cadillac of cough syrups in my book. I never seem to get it though, almost always get the ol' Robitussin with codeine or Phenergan with codeine.

I never get turned down when I ask for it by name. I only do it a couple times a year, but I just cough my head off and say tussionex has worked well for me in the past, and I'm up all night with this nagging cough. One time a resident working with my PCP tried to tell me codeine syrups are more effective. I told her codeine makes me itch, but tussionex doesn't. She agreed and gladly wrote the tussionex script.

I'm sure a lot of people will think I'm crazy, but I've always preferred the buzz from hydro to any other opiate (IV forms excluded, but I don't IV often anyway). And the polistirex form they use in tussionex seems both stronger and longer lasting when compared to the same dose of hydro pills.

Brony
02-22-2010, 01:04 AM
I never get turned down when I ask for it by name. I only do it a couple times a year, but I just cough my head off and say tussionex has worked well for me in the past, and I'm up all night with this nagging cough. One time a resident working with my PCP tried to tell me codeine syrups are more effective. I told her codeine makes me itch, but tussionex doesn't. She agreed and gladly wrote the tussionex script.

I'm sure a lot of people will think I'm crazy, but I've always preferred the buzz from hydro to any other opiate (IV forms excluded, but I don't IV often anyway). And the polistirex form they use in tussionex seems both stronger and longer lasting when compared to the same dose of hydro pills.

I agree 100%.

Although I couldn't feel *one* Vicodin today–way back when, an equal amount of Tussionex gave a better buzz than a single Vicodin. Those were the days.

Indy
02-22-2010, 01:08 AM
Tussionex taught me that I enjoyed opiates. I'll never forget the first time, I was in morning HS band rehearsal and I thought it was cause i was running out of air on a long note, i started feeling light headed. Then i realized i enjoyed it, and about ten minutes later i realized it was the cough syrup. It just "clicked" like love at first sight. That's why I never regret finding out about poppy seed tea, or finding a source for tramadol (that's what first got me hooked) or having easy access to hydrocodone early on, because sooner or later I would have found a way to experience that again, I know that for a fact.

Synack
02-22-2010, 02:21 AM
I never could get a high or buzz or even pain relief from a pill form of hydrocodone, they'd only cause this awful neck pain for some weird ass reason...

Then I was given half a bottle of Tussionex from a friends tonsillectomy... I actually got pain relief from it that lasted much longer than pills did thanks to the slow release mixture...

I'd take it over hydrocodone pills, but not over any CII...

harmonik
02-22-2010, 02:42 AM
Tussionex... I love that shit. There's some sort of stigma in my head that turns me off of having to take 7-10 10mg hydrocodone to get a good buzz. Huge pills.. lots of APAP.. just NO NO NO. Lorcets are a last resort for me.. Liquid goes down much better. I haven't swallowed an opiate in prolly 5 months, though, so..
Better than dilaudid, oxycodone, fent, morphine?
NO NO NO. Hellz naw you guys crazy. But.. to each his own ya know.

Look at this "sober" view of getting high on hydrocodone.. Don't play with Tussionex (http://raoulpop.com/2009/05/02/dont-play-with-tussionex/)

I guess for an opiate-naive person, that'd probably be crazy. Your first REAL high.. 3 tsp = 30mg = 3 10mg lorcets..

port rhombus
02-22-2010, 02:46 AM
Tussionex = chlorpheniramine = nasty

dieselbaby
02-22-2010, 02:59 AM
I too seem to be one of the people that can't feel taking hydrocodone. I've taken it before in many different doses, up to ~90 mg at a time, with no real tolerance, and I never really felt anything other than a gaseous, bloated stomach.

shoybs
02-22-2010, 03:37 AM
Tussionex = chlorpheniramine = nasty

Agreed. I hate trying to get a buzz off stuff that contains crap like that. Always makes me feel shitty.

Billy the kid
02-22-2010, 04:44 AM
Blasphemy!!!!!!

I usually just get the tussin with codeine but at my last appt. for a cough I just said Tussionex works way better and the codeine makes me itchy and blotchy and it worked. Instead of codeine syrup I get tussionex from now on! It really is in another league. That hydrocodone polistirex makes it last so much longer and 10mg per tsp is a great concentration!

Restharrow
02-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Pineapple lifesaver candy smells just like Tussionex. I used to love the stuff. Last time I took 2 teaspoons, (10 mg. Hydro per teaspoon) it just made me a little sleepy.

My old family doctor used to give 8 oz. with 1 refill. If my math is correct thats 96 doses of Hydro at 10 mg. each. The new young doctor will not prescribe it at all.

Will

ShamanicHaze
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
IMO hydrocdone gives a better buzz than fentanyl and morphine. It's equal to oxycodone. If I were to have the choice between hydrocodone pills and oxycodone pills I'd take the oxy but I'd take Tussionex over oxy anyday.

paroxetina
02-22-2010, 03:20 PM
IMO hydrocdone gives a better buzz than fentanyl and morphine. It's equal to oxycodone. If I were to have the choice between hydrocodone pills and oxycodone pills I'd take the oxy but I'd take Tussionex over oxy anyday.

For me, the highs from hydrocodone and oxycodone are very different. Guess this varies from person to person.

ShamanicHaze
02-22-2010, 03:36 PM
Other than the fact that I can nod off of hydrocodone and not oxycodone, they are pretty much the same for me. Oxycodone is a tad bit speedier but that's about the only difference.

eukodalic
02-22-2010, 03:57 PM
Tussionex taught me that I enjoyed opiates. I'll never forget the first time, I was in morning HS band rehearsal and I thought it was cause i was running out of air on a long note, i started feeling light headed. Then i realized i enjoyed it, and about ten minutes later i realized it was the cough syrup. It just "clicked" like love at first sight. That's why I never regret finding out about poppy seed tea, or finding a source for tramadol (that's what first got me hooked) or having easy access to hydrocodone early on, because sooner or later I would have found a way to experience that again, I know that for a fact.

+1000, Indy. Especially for the opiate naive (which all of us were at one time, eh?) Tussionex was one of the first medicines to show me the world through an opioid-tinctured prism...an experience I surely wanted to have a repeat of. My mom was getting it prescribed for a cough caused by cancer. I didn't use too much of it, 'cause she truly needed it, but it did plant a seed. Later, when I developed a true reason to get opiates prescribed, it (and others) were a natural fit.

Ever see the big pharmacy bottle that Tussionex comes in? Wish I had a pic to post, but it is a breathtakingly large bottle. I'd say close to about a 2/3 QUART- maybe 24-28 fluid ozs. Don't know how many milliliters that would be, but...a LOT. Bottle emblazed with a huge C-III on the front label, and being clearish, you could see the gorgeous goldeney yellow-orangey hue of the precious liquid inside! Imagine setting that bottle down on the lunchroom table at your job, with all the co-workers around! Haha...you wouldn't last too long, after the boss got wind! Or maybe you would, if you gave him some-- funny stuff, that Tussionex. Ain't cheap either, w/o insurance.:rolleyes:

OCD
02-25-2010, 08:28 AM
God I love Tussionex. It taste so good, gives me such a warm feeling, and it last for a LONG time. So much longer than popping 8 hydro 10s.

I get it once a year too. My doctor has no problem prescribing it for a cough, so every late fall or early winter I call his office and ask his nurse to call me in something for a bad cough, and just like clockwork he calls me in a 240ml bottle (which is a LOT) of tussionex within a few hours. I don't even have to go into his office and prove I have a cough. I've never pushed it though, never asked for a refill or anything. So I think in his mind he is just like "eh, one bottle of cough syrup isn't going to cause much harm." It's not like I call every month asking for the stuff. I have a very nice understanding doctor that puts a lot of trust in me. I think it's because I see him on the golf course all the time and he thinks that there is no way I would abuse anything. Now I'm just rambling. Point of my post is, Tussionex is the shit!!!! :D

hd69
02-25-2010, 10:45 AM
No specifics asked for, but do any I.O.P.'s sell it?
Maybe over the counter in any other Countries to look for it?
Don't recall seeing it on anyones' products list.
Thanks.