PDA

View Full Version : The Chills.

maycausedrowsiness
02-08-2010, 11:11 PM
God damnit, I dont think there is any part of withdrawal I hate more than the chills. It's always the first symptom of WD for me, and even when I have stayed off of all opiates for weeks at a time I still feel like I'm always cold. I always know that WD is coming when I feel that cold air and I get goosebumps on my arms..

Then again, it's the price we pay for that blanket of warm relief that comes when you take that dose you've been thinking about all day..

Right now it's winter time here, and it's already cold and windy. Many of us on the east coast are surely dealing with the extreme amounts of snow that have been dumped on us. It's cold enough already, the chill of WD makes it so much worse.

For those of you who live in warm weather... are the chills just as big of a factor when you WD than they are for me? Chills and yawns and teary eyes are always the first symptoms for me, but chills piss me off more than anything. I've always wondered what it would be like to be somewhere warm, and wonder if my WD would be more tolerable..

A few months ago, I vacationed in Jamaica with no meds or dope after about a month-long, every day binge of oxy/dope. I had 7 days with nothing. The first two days I felt shitty and depressed but I managed to keep my head high because I was in paradise, surrounded by beauty and a seemingly never-ending supply of ganja, and there was no supply to be found.

By day 5 or 6, I was feeling almost no symptoms. I think baking in the hot sun all day while smoking weed and stuffing my face with free food. I dont remember feeling very chilly, but I do remember not wanting to jump in the cold swimming pool even though it was 85 degrees out. Moral of the story, being in Jamaica definitely made my WD much more tolerable.

If only we could all WD in paradise... of course I got home and immediately began right where I had left off, hoping to have lowered my tolerance but not really. Couldnt think about anything else on that plane ride home lol

Chipper
02-08-2010, 11:45 PM
I'm in hot, humid weather ATM and it's the exact opposite: I'm suffering excessive sweating (and tapering, as well). I would expect that if I were where you are then the chills would be eating me instead.

Messed up temperature regulation is one of the worst of the side-effects/withdrawal symptoms, IMO.

One more thing - I have developed a slight water aversion, as well.

maycausedrowsiness
02-09-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah alot of people around here say they get the sweats too but for me it's always been the chills. Even in the summer its still the chills. I bet that you're sweaty but if you jumped in a cold pool it would be too cold and not refreshing.. if you were WDing anyway.. It's almost impossible to find that perfect temperature.

I'd gladly trade you some of my chills for some of your sweats and we'll meet in the middle:)

Chipper
02-09-2010, 12:14 AM
I'd gladly trade you some of my chills for some of your sweats and we'll meet in the middle:)

If I could, I would :p

ouaisOut
02-09-2010, 12:17 AM
Well, I live in SF and it's never very cold here, but I'm still extremely sensitive to the chills. I've been on a long taper (pretty successful so far, month 4) and I've been cold the entire time. Except for right after I take my taper dose (never enough to get high). And except for a few minutes here and there when I'm freezing and sweating my ass off simultaneously.

So, I wish I could help you out but all I can do is sympathize. I had a chance to move to the north-east this winter with the opportunity to live almost rent-free for a few months and take care of my diminishing debt. Too cold. Only one of the factors involved, but really I can't imagine being colder than I am here in SF and my house never really gets colder than 50°.

I spend most of my time wrapped up in a comforter at home or in my big subzero Spiewak parka. People look at me funny, but whatever, I'm warmer at least. I've always hated being cold. Maybe I should have considered that before becoming a junkie. It sure was nice to go outside and be internally warm no matter how cold it was.

Fat Pie
02-09-2010, 12:46 AM
When I had WD, I was always excessively hot, despite the weather being freezing over here. No idea why it was like that.

michellebaines
02-09-2010, 08:41 AM
I get both the sweats and the chills at the same time. I spend a lot of time sitting in my bathtub with the warm shower beating down on my back. Helps the muscle aches too.

I'm in michigan, so i know what you mean about the weather, matter of fact, its snowing right now....I HATE winter.

runormal
02-09-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah the chills are horrible! I always think back to this 6 month period when I was trying to quit OCs. Basically each weekend I would try and kick so I would take my last dose on Thursday night. I would make it through Friday barely but then had to show up for a 11am-3pm Saturday shift before I could go home a get in bed until Monday afternoon. Those Saturdays were horrible as I would start getting bad hot flashes and chills and any clothes I would be wearing either felt sweaty and too tight or loose and too cold... ugh. When I would feel them coming on I would go look in the mirror at work and my pupils would be giant black saucers and I knew that wd was really coming on.

The chills on Saturday each saturday month after month. What is kind of sad/funny is that I was never able to kick over those weekend either, as come Monday I would still be feeling like hell and would end up using again and say fuck it I will try again next week...

LuckyNumber13
02-09-2010, 10:50 AM
I also get the sweats and the chills at the same time. No matter what the weather, my body just can't regulate it's temperature.

I absolutely hate detoxing/withdrwals in the winter though. The cold takes on new meaning when w/d'ing. It's a whole different kind of cold, like the cold gets inside your bones or something.

barbiegal
02-09-2010, 11:23 AM
UGH-I hate those chills and I'm in Socal! But actually it's the GI stuff that gets to me. always my first clue to make sure i'm stocked up on immodium. I get the horrible stomach cramping to where I can't even stand upright.
But yeah,those chills and goosebumps,yawning,sneezing..blech. But I never seem to learn my lesson cuz it happens every month. :(

Chipper
02-09-2010, 07:15 PM
Best time to detox must be spring-time -- new beginnings and all that.

OrangeLude
02-09-2010, 07:33 PM
the chills suck.

tapering in the North East & chills are definitely a bummer...one of the hardest things on some mornings is getting through the temp changes of waking up chilled from having sweat in my sleep. Then I get that sorted & I need to take a shower - hot bathroom / cooler house - and I'm in some freak zone of chilly sweats....

definitely chills are near the top of the piss & moan list for WD's ....

eukodalic
02-09-2010, 08:34 PM
If only we could all WD in paradise... of course I got home and immediately began right where I had left off, hoping to have lowered my tolerance but not really. Couldnt think about anything else on that plane ride home lol

+1. But W/D, even is paradise, isn't much easier for me...I once kicked a fairly big percocet habit in gorgeous Kauai...I couldn't think about all the beauty around me. Worst part, besides the chills, were my "exploding bowels." Sorry gang, for that image,:( but you're my opio family-- and like maycausedrowsy said-- all I could think about on the 5 hour flight back to the mainland was opening my safe and retrieving my emergency backup meds....the only thing I could think about- dammit! So, guess I'd rather be in a Hollywood flophouse and well; than be in Hawaii and sick...

The_Chef
02-09-2010, 09:26 PM
The chills do indeed suck but you have to admit that they would be 100% more manageable if it weren't for the god-awful intermittent hot flashes that interrupt them. Consistency may be a hobgoblin but I will gladly adopt that hobgoblin, name it Chester and feed it leftovers just so long as it keeps those god damned hot flashes away.

Dhedmo
02-09-2010, 10:12 PM
SoCal.

Between LA and San Diego.

The chills suck!

When I began a fent taper and kick early last year, the chills--especially my hands--really got to me. Not that it's the most uncomfortable symptom by a long shot, but psychologically it was doing a number on me. Still is, to an extent.

I'd never before experienced cold hands...it was like I wasn't getting enough circulation. I sat in front of a heater, wore gloves, etc. Months after kicking fent (and through re-acquaintance, re-kick, and so on) I still had cold hands. Last year was the coldest since I moved out here in 93 and I was so happy to get out to the desert, where for the first time I didn't have that in the back of my mind!

It got better over the summer, but it's never gone back to the way it was.

Man, if I could have a buck for every time I hear or say those words!

duck
02-09-2010, 10:14 PM

word -- this winter was one of the coldest and snowiest we have had in years, it was truly a brutal kick. However, I'm passing thru PAWS right now and am setting myself up to really be feeling better by Spring -- that feeling I bet is going to be incredible. Actually get back outside and run with my dog and be human again, unlike the past few years.

maycausedrowsiness --

I think you are completely right -- baking in the sun smoking ganja helps A TON when kicking. Mine started on Dec. 20th in the midwest, and the first seven days the temperature did not rise above 10 degrees farenheit, my newer truck wouldn't even start because it was so cold.

The freezing bones and aches really, really drive me crazy. The cold extremeties are the worst, my feet and hands just absolutely frozen. However, whenever I am in the bath or in the dry sauna or jacuzzi, I feel totally better -- and then I feel good for an hour or so after while I'm still warm.

I think I'm really gonna be able to filter out the rest of the opiate crap in me during this spring and especially summer when I can just lay around and bake in the sun while on a boat at the lake :)

Adjudicator
02-11-2010, 03:29 AM
Swim gets chills/sweats terrible when in WD. Typically, the sweats exacerbate the chills for swim.For example, swim's under arms will be soaked and in cold weather this is a real uncomfortable sensation. Walking about outside makes the under arms freezing to the touch, and makes chills a lot more frequent/pronounced.

When feeling this poor, swim tries to rotate shirts and keep himself as dry as possible to help keep the chills to a minimum despite sweating buckets.
There is no escape from chills, but swim does believe he feels a little better in the summer when temperatues aren't so frigid in the first place.

Indy
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Swim gets chills/sweats terrible when in WD. Typically, the sweats exacerbate the chills for swim.For example, swim's under arms will be soaked and in cold weather this is a real uncomfortable sensation. Walking about outside makes the under arms freezing to the touch, and makes chills a lot more frequent/pronounced.

When feeling this poor, swim tries to rotate shirts and keep himself as dry as possible to help keep the chills to a minimum despite sweating buckets.
There is no escape from chills, but swim does believe he feels a little better in the summer when temperatues aren't so frigid in the first place.

I hate this, when I start the car in the cold and have to go somewhere, I always keep my arms close to my body to try and stay warm. this causes my armpits to sweat which makes the chills worse. i'm mildly sick right now (using used poppy seeds) and just the thought of it gives me the chills.

lespaulpower
02-11-2010, 05:26 PM
God damnit, I dont think there is any part of withdrawal I hate more than the chills. It's always the first symptom of WD for me, and even when I have stayed off of all opiates for weeks at a time I still feel like I'm always cold. I always know that WD is coming when I feel that cold air and I get goosebumps on my arms..

Then again, it's the price we pay for that blanket of warm relief that comes when you take that dose you've been thinking about all day..

Right now it's winter time here, and it's already cold and windy. Many of us on the east coast are surely dealing with the extreme amounts of snow that have been dumped on us. It's cold enough already, the chill of WD makes it so much worse.

For those of you who live in warm weather... are the chills just as big of a factor when you WD than they are for me? Chills and yawns and teary eyes are always the first symptoms for me, but chills piss me off more than anything. I've always wondered what it would be like to be somewhere warm, and wonder if my WD would be more tolerable..

A few months ago, I vacationed in Jamaica with no meds or dope after about a month-long, every day binge of oxy/dope. I had 7 days with nothing. The first two days I felt shitty and depressed but I managed to keep my head high because I was in paradise, surrounded by beauty and a seemingly never-ending supply of ganja, and there was no supply to be found.

By day 5 or 6, I was feeling almost no symptoms. I think baking in the hot sun all day while smoking weed and stuffing my face with free food. I dont remember feeling very chilly, but I do remember not wanting to jump in the cold swimming pool even though it was 85 degrees out. Moral of the story, being in Jamaica definitely made my WD much more tolerable.

Withdrawals during the cold season are terrible. But on the other hand, being dope-sick during the hot 90 degree summer days and nights is equally terrible in its own right; I mean, the severe restlessness and fatigue are made exponentially worse by the hot and humid weather, not to mention the sweats, that goes without saying... I definitely feel you bro...

Papa Verine
02-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I think the perfect withdrawal temperature is 72 deg. F. But even then... it's gonna' suck!

maycausedrowsiness
02-11-2010, 06:30 PM
I'd much rather WD in the sun than in the cold.

When I was on vacation going through some serious WD, I just sat there and baked in the sun all day with occasional dips in the beautiful ocean and it really helped me get through it.

I'm the kind of person who enjoys laying out in the sun and getting color, it provides almost a high in itself.. nothin like layin on the beach gettin crispy in the sun.

im glad to see lots of feedback on my post, we can all agree chills are the worst and im sure we've all been that asshole with a winter jacket on in the middle of the living room trying to explain why you're so cold in the house lol

ive found that hot showers help TREMENDOUSLY. i just sit in the shower for upwards of 30 min when im feelin cold and i usually come out with relief from the chills for a little while after.

I feel like when i detox for good (who knows when that will be.. im tryin haha) i need to be somewhere warm. the cold weather and the chills and the feeling of being so cold in general is one of my triggers for going out to cop.. dark and rainy days are also a trigger for me.. but when its sunny and i can walk outside into the hot sun, i dont really crave as hard

yet again, i always want to get as high as possible on a sunny day to maximize it.. a junkie can always make an excuse to dose lol

goodgirlgonebad
02-11-2010, 08:13 PM
I totally agree. Chills kick my ass every time. Jesus, even the next morning (when the pills are out of my system) I sit at my desk with the chills...take a perc and the chills go away. You'd think chills would be a withdrawal thing, but for me it's an instantaneous thing the second the drugs wear off. I can take the extreme tiredness, bitchiness and depression...the chills are absolute TORTURE.

Indy
02-11-2010, 10:19 PM
When it comes to being outside, I prefer warm, overcast weather (cause of the sensitivity to light), with a light breeze. That actually makes a big difference, and I've noticed I can stand withdrawals for a LOT longer in the spring and summer (as long as it's not TOO hot).

jacky
02-18-2010, 07:20 PM
I found a combination that really helps with the chills and sweats when kicking...or weening.

I found that ziziphus jujube, or chinese date, really helps. these are small dried apple looking fruits, that are more like apple than a date...they are about the size of a date...but otherwise they dont taste like date.
as few as 5-10 fruits have helped me with the chills and sweats...but many people will probably want to take more than that. the fruits can be simmered to make a brothy sweet soup that is easier for some people to get down.
the fruits can be sourced at chinese/asian markets usually...or online.
a 5x extract of the fruit works well.

apparently, the pit of this fruit has stronger effect than the fruit...but I have had a hell of a time finding the pits sold in powder form.
when I find a brand that isnt pitted, I save the pits up for a day to do a crushed ethanol extract of the seeds so I can compare to the activity of the whole fruit.

isoquinoline chemistry is probably at work here, the fruits contain nuciferine, and some other isoquinoline that have sedative/hypnotic effects.
eat too many of the fruits combined with salty and sweet foods and you might experience a very powerful somniferic force like I did.

interestingly, these fruits have some comparable chemistry with the lotus or nymphaea flower products..namely nuciferine.

also, the chinese date works great when combined with salvia miltiorrhiza, and or corydalis root.

recently I have found that passion flower extracts works very well with opiates, or when opiates run out.
so I would throw that into the mixture as well if I was planning a detox.

Metrik
02-18-2010, 08:06 PM
I live in the bay area and i hate the chills especially since i get them along with hot flashes and copious amounts of sweating! I actually sweated so much it made sweat stains on the underside of my brand new mattress (my girlfriend accused me of pissin the bed hahaha). By far though the worst part of wd is the insomnia its usually not so bad until like day 4 or 5 it actually made me wanna kill myself which is odd since im the happiest junkie i know.

In the end i guess it dosent matter where u live or what temp it is w/d suck a fat one!

Lil_T
02-18-2010, 10:43 PM
The chills is always the worst for me. Those chills bring on a feeling of not being able to sit still and feeling totally uncomfortable in my own skin. That is THE worst. I think I can handle the stomach cramps to a certain extent, cause I know that all that backedupedness will soon make it's way out, albeit as painful as possible. The teary eyes and the yawniness is also crappy as hell, but, man those chills. And when the chills hit me I get sweaty as fuck too, so I'm hot and take off as much clothes as possible, only to put them on 5 mins later. Usually I'm bundled up more ofter then not, and then I get really sweaty under all my bundledness, but the chills kill me, man, just kill me, I can't handle it. And that's when I turn into a raging bitch. God help anyone around me who doesn't have "something" to take away the fucking sickness. At that point I'm the devil incarnate and anyone who doesn't want to have their head chewed off better stay the hell away from me.

Good luck to the OP and his chills, hope things get better for ya, in the near future!!

Kristy85
04-01-2010, 08:38 AM

Ha, my 'new beginning' never comes :rolleyes: Not for a want of trying though.

Oh, and I'd much rather w/d through the summer time. The cold really does take on a life of its own when in w/d and the meaning of the word freezing and bone cold certainly do make themselves known. The cold from w/d really is some next level shit. My bones always feel like they're shaking it's that fuckin freezing.

Indy
04-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Ha, my 'new beginning' never comes :rolleyes: Not for a want of trying though.

Oh, and I'd much rather w/d through the summer time. The cold really does take on a life of its own when in w/d and the meaning of the word freezing and bone cold certainly do make themselves known. The cold from w/d really is some next level shit. My bones always feel like they're shaking it's that fuckin freezing.

i agree, it's a cold that almost transcends the physical - you're cold right down to your soul. summer is a bit too hot for me though in w/d

mamasou
04-17-2010, 06:52 AM
I live in relatively hot climate.

It is a mix of alternating to hot/cold flushes always accompanied by sweat.

It is miserable.

Billy the kid
04-17-2010, 07:45 AM
This thread reminded me of a time when I was with a friend on our way to score in chicago (like 45 min from where I lived at the time) when we were both soo dopes sick.

It seemed like we were always the opposite. Me too cold and him too hot. Then he would turn the a/c on and I would be freezing. After a while he would get too cold and I would start to get too hot. So, he would turn on the heat! It was his car so he dictated the temp. That day we got stuck in traffic on the edens express sweating and shivering and always the complete opposite of each other.

austinslacker
04-17-2010, 12:29 PM
Yep, chills followed by profuse sweating is what I get. Then quick small spasms kick in on my extremities, for I suffer from neuropathy.

The Mother Superior
04-18-2010, 11:56 AM
it just snowed here yesterday a little bit. i am cold to the bone and no matter what i've done i can't shake it right now. it's an epic cold.

i would rather WD in 80 degree weather for sure. the chills are what kill me every time.

hd69
04-18-2010, 12:33 PM
We had a cold winter here by Florida standards.
Got so cold to the bone that I would sit in front of a space heater until
my clothes would smoke. Still had the chills, couldn't shake them for anything.

Only opies would make it go away, it's finally warm again now, much better. Not using opies
like needed all winter, chills are hell. I didn't move here to freeze.:)

flacky
08-01-2010, 05:05 AM
I'm in Beijing right now and even in the heat I can still get the chills. For me, I kind of alternate between both.

Back in NYC, I had some pretty shitty consequences from the alternation. I was having the chills bad and pulled a quilt over myself just to wake up a couple hours later shivering because my clothes and the quilt were soaked in sweat.

It also sucks when you can't sleep and you need to keep taking the blanket (and/or your shirt) on and off with the alternation.

Also, before I left, I remember wanting to wear a hoodie in the 85-90 degree NYC summer....

danny
08-01-2010, 07:19 AM
dont really bother me.....
now RLS.......:hanged:

joedyclark
08-01-2010, 07:35 AM
it just snowed here yesterday a little bit. i am cold to the bone and no matter what i've done i can't shake it right now. it's an epic cold.

i would rather WD in 80 degree weather for sure. the chills are what kill me every time.
i would rather Wd in Cold weaather i live in okc, and its like 99 here and above 90s and i always thought it sucked so bad, id rather it be cold and then i can get under a warm blanket if i can or whatever
so glad i havent dealt with that since march now!! i think mmt is going to work for me as long and i respect it and use it right

[QUOTE=flacky;518521
It also sucks when you can't sleep and you need to keep taking the blanket (and/or your shirt) on and off with the alternation.
[/QUOTE]
GOD THAT IS THE WORST - off on off on off on like 100 fucking times for me!!

flacky
08-01-2010, 07:37 PM
GOD THAT IS THE WORST - off on off on off on like 100 fucking times for me!!

EXACTLY!....
....and it gets so much worse with every little thing that's thrown into the mess (an AC, two blakets, etc).

FiendMan
08-01-2010, 08:40 PM
i get SERIOUS chills/sweats the whole time im in W/D regardless of what i'm using to detox...done, bupe, lope, etc. however, i have found one thing that really helps w/ the chills...dxm. for some reason this really helps w/ the bone chills and the restless leg shit along w/ some benzos. i had tried everything, then i read on here that dxm could help w/ this annoying aspect of W/Ds and lo and behold...chills are gone!!!

the best thing about using dxm to help w/ the chills is it can be used all by itself to help w/ W/Ds (and it really does help w/ alot of the symptoms), or in conjuntion w/ done, bupe, lope, or whatever you use to detox (kratom, clonidine, etc). this will not stop me from sweating profusely, but i'd rather be hot and sweaty than freezing and sweating. give it a try. some other folks on here have said it helped them w/ the bone chills as well.

B-Willy
08-01-2010, 09:09 PM
cool, thanks for the tip on DXM Fiendman. I guess i'm glad to see/hear that the constant hot flashes/cold sweats, and i mean CONSTANT!, are not just me! I had posted something about this exact wd symptom several months ago in the reconditioning forum i believe, but I don't think anyone replied. I swear I think I can deal with the aches of wd much better than the effing hot/cold flashes! I mean, when having to wd and continue everday life, not only are the hot/cold flashes miserable as hell, but it sucks when standing there talking to a friend, business assoc., veterinarian, etc. etc. and one minute shiver/shakes then flush and dripping, completely dripping from every pore of sweat! It drives me insane, and is by far my most miserable wd symptom. It makes me (ehhh ummm, i mean swim) sniff the shit like i have an elephant trunk when i get my hands back on it.

Funkit
08-03-2010, 05:40 PM
The reason I really hate the chills is because it always seems to last the longest, and always seems to be what gets me back on the train. I could cold turkey from 120mg+ oxy and 3 weeks later im still getting the chills. it just wears me down; feels like they won't ever go away.

I'm in NJ now and the winter was brutal. In florida it was almost worse though; my habit was much worse and my chills would be just as bad. The difference was I couldn't explain them because it was 90 degrees out. I'd be shivering cold and wearing a hoodie in the florida summer. Of course then I was soaked in sweat but I'd almost rather it like that.

starla
08-04-2010, 02:53 PM
funny this thread popped up.. i had just called my husband and told him to hurry up with work, cos i wanted to go fishing.. im sick and they keep it freezing in this house and i just want to get out and see the mountains and bake in the sun.. it makes me feel better. hate these damn chills and not much helps cos im cold to the bone.

the chills are awful. and i pee constantly during wd(am i the only one?) and i mean constantly. by the time i get finishing peeing and sit down, i have to go again.. full force! it drives me nuts.

the absolute worst part about withdrawl to me is the loss of energy.. it's something ive been working on.. making myself go out and not be a hermit cos i spent the biggest part of a year at home sick more than i was well.. wouldnt go anywhere or do anything. its become much better now. now, its time to work on making myself eat even though the thought itself is sickening..

nikita70
08-05-2010, 05:47 PM
I think chills&co. makes you nearly jump out of your skin, but the top is insomnia, which turns the feeling of incomfortable into the endless pain episode, not "divided" by any break. Sleeplessness gives the w/d that specific feature of the real torture.
The w/d symptoms are horrible enough as itself. The insomnia additionally keeps you out of any relief, which the person suffering because of every other kinda disorder (not w/d, I mean) can count for.
The sun sets, the night comes and every creature prepares for the rest---more or less. The sick junkie is the only one exepted from that order. It's out of/against the nature so it hurts so much.

The lack of time intervals while going w/d is probably the reason we often compare it with "hell".
The pain+unknown time of lasting(the hope for relief very vague)=~Hell.

flacky
08-05-2010, 09:33 PM
i pee constantly during wd(am i the only one?)

That happens to me too. Even after I'm done with the WD, I'm still pissing a lot.