PDA

View Full Version : Would it be legal for my doc to prescribe like this?

krinkov
02-07-2010, 06:33 PM
Well, ever since I moved to Kansas City, I have yet to be able to find a doc to write my oxy and fent scripts. My previous doc back in Michigan is a really good guy to deal with and knew I would have a hard time finding a doc to write my scripts.

So, here is what I was wondering if my Doc could do: Would he be able to write the scripts for me and then have them filled and mailed by a mail-order pharmacy? Would this be legal? I know a friend of mine used to get her Avinza scripts filled by a mail-order place. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to do it for me and see what he says. I'd like to know ahead of time if there is even a chance of this happening though. Any info is appreciated!!!

Krinkov

Thanat0s
02-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Well, ever since I moved to Kansas City, I have yet to be able to find a doc to write my oxy and fent scripts. My previous doc back in Michigan is a really good guy to deal with and knew I would have a hard time finding a doc to write my scripts.

So, here is what I was wondering if my Doc could do: Would he be able to write the scripts for me and then have them filled and mailed by a mail-order pharmacy? Would this be legal? I know a friend of mine used to get her Avinza scripts filled by a mail-order place. I'm going to call him tomorrow and ask him to do it for me and see what he says. I'd like to know ahead of time if there is even a chance of this happening though. Any info is appreciated!!!

Krinkov
i dont think his rx is good in another state.
the state lisceeses (fuck spelling) docs.
my uncle couldnt write me a rx cuz hes an MD in MI
and im in OK.

nogo.

missPopET
02-07-2010, 06:39 PM
I highly doubt it, seeing as how both the meds you mentioned are schedule II's (I am pretty sure...at least) With S II's you must obtain a hard-copy from your doctor directly and then take it into the pharmacy yourself. And I'm pretty sure there's something in the laws about crossing state lines to do this as well...but if you have any doubts go ahead and talk to the Doc. Ps: I was born in KC Missouri..and I MISS THE DAMN BBQ CHICKEN.

Actavis
02-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Also, because they are SCH II's there MUST be a F2F with the Doc. (or he could lose his license, or much worse!)

taj
02-07-2010, 06:53 PM
I highly doubt it, seeing as how both the meds you mentioned are schedule II's (I am pretty sure...at least) With S II's you must obtain a hard-copy from your doctor directly and then take it into the pharmacy yourself. And I'm pretty sure there's something in the laws about crossing state lines to do this as well...but if you have any doubts go ahead and talk to the Doc. Ps: I was born in KC Missouri..and I MISS THE DAMN BBQ CHICKEN.

not so sure about krinks actual position, although it seems a bit dicey, but I do know that in my state, you can have schedule IIs filled by a mail order pharmacy, my state's insurance company offers to do it, and I had a friend that used to go to a PM clinic, and I'm pretty sure she had her Schedule IIs sent to her in the mail as well(although now that I think about it she may have just gotten the paper scripts in the mail)

I never was into that idea though, too easy to get mail stolen, and have someone pretend to be you to get it filled.. I used to pick up legit scripts (schedII) for friends at the pharmacy, and all I needed was the person's birthdate..

the crossing state line bit though(like a dr. in one state/ getting a script sent/ filled for a person living in a different state as the dr. ), doesn't sound too hopeful

jersey_emt
02-07-2010, 10:08 PM
CII's can be filled through mail-order pharmacies, but you need to mail them the actual prescription. I'm not sure about when the pharmacy is in a different state however. Call them up and ask.

Dhedmo
02-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Also, because they are SCH II's there MUST be a F2F with the Doc. (or he could lose his license, or much worse!)

This is the kicker on the scripts, though.

And I believe it's every 30 days.
I was able to pick up my fent scripts without a consultation because I saw my PCP often enough (and had to pick up the Rx in person). When I went to a CP doc to quit, it was every 30 days or no Rx.

Might be different in KC, Krink, but I think that's nationwide. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

clinton
02-07-2010, 11:47 PM
Krinkov what are the docs telling you down here?
If you have a legit issue then what's the big deal?
Don't answer that, I've read enough of our fellow members trials to know the answer..
Sorry to hear your going this...

digby
02-08-2010, 12:10 AM
Because oxy and fent are schedule II scripts, you must actually meet with the doctor to get a script. So mail order by itself would not work. The only option is for you to do what lots of people are doing and that is to drive to the state where your dr resides, meet with him, get your script from him (in most if not all states you can get 3 scripts at a time for 90 days of medication - he just needs to write the scripts accordingly), and then fill the script in the state in which it was written. Then drive home with your filled prescriptions until next month or next 90 days. I know of lots of people that are doing this very thing. In fact, I believe it is legal to get the prescription filled either in your home state or the dr's home state.

"The reference in the April article about physicians being prohibited by the Maryland Board of Physicians from prescribing for Maryland patients if they do not have a Maryland license was not intended to indicate that pharmacists could not fill valid prescriptions from prescribers who treat patients outside of Maryland. Pharmacists in Maryland may fill prescriptions from physicians outside of Maryland without the having to verify whether the physician has a Maryland practice license. However, the pharmacist’s responsibility in all cases is to use his or her professional judgment to determine whether an appropriate relationship exists between the prescriber and patient. If the pharmacist suspects that there may not be an appropriate physician-patient relationship then he should not fill the prescription"

I don't know why people are arrested in returning home to a different state after aquiring meds sometimes in Florida by the process that I pointed out above. My guess would be that they get caught for falsifying medical reports, seeing multiple docs for multiple prescriptions and driving home with more pills than one person could possibly take in 30 days time and so get arrested for trafficing. But that is just a guess.
It seems like they shouldn't have a problem doing this in Florida without a problem as long as everything is on the up and up.

panda
02-08-2010, 03:04 AM
yea, as said above, you need a f2f appointment, per script. since they are schedule II, the max they can write is a 30 day supply. so you would need to go see him once a month.

as far as mail order pharmacy's go, i know in PA you can do that. one guy i used to buy pills from, got his from some mail order place from Colorado. also, my pharmacy that i go to, only delivers my medication. they are instate, but my meds are 80mg hydrocodone compounds and 15mg oxy ir. they have a fleet of drives that drop them off at you're house. they also take them as far as West Virginia and Ohio, so i guess you can get them delivered from other states. you're PM or you're pcp, mails you're script to them. so you never physically have it.

i hope you get this worked out, that sucks. i probably would have problems getting scripts if i moved, because of my age. its like being stuck, because you have medical problems!

maybe you can't find a doctor to write you you're medication, because of what you look like. i mean after looking at YOU, in you're avatar, you need to clean up a little:p.

(jp, i know that aint you!)

Actavis
02-08-2010, 04:45 AM

I was able to pick up my fent scripts without a consultation because I saw my PCP often enough (and had to pick up the Rx in person). When I went to a CP doc to quit, it was every 30 days or no Rx.

Might be different in KC, Krink, but I think that's nationwide. Doesn't hurt to ask, though.

Most docs will make you wait every 30 days because of INS companies. my doc sees me every 27, used to be every 25 until they got audited by the DE@. (so now when i get a fill i still have 3 days worth of medication left, or i am supposed to anyway). was nice when it was 5 because i was actually able to save some for emergencies. (not any more!)

nick
02-08-2010, 05:38 AM
If he's that good a doctor why not fly home to see him.

How much is the airfare?

krinkov
02-08-2010, 06:21 AM
If he's that good a doctor why not fly home to see him.

How much is the airfare?

That is my last ditch plan is to fly back. About $350 round trip and a rental car for a day.

WhyCatsPaint
02-08-2010, 06:33 AM
Have you tried having your previous doctor writing a letter about the medications you have been on on what has worked for you so you could share it with the new doctor along with a pharmacy report to show your medication history?

Most new doctors you go to many be more willing to keep you on the same pain control if you are reffered from the previous doctor especially if they know they could possible call this doctor to confirm.

I would try calling a few doctors letting them know you medical history and see if they would be willing to maintain you on your current dosage so you don't waste your time and there's with a first time visit.

You may have already attempted this I haven't had a chance to read your previous posts to see if you have or not.

nick
02-08-2010, 06:34 AM
That is my last ditch plan is to fly back. About $350 round trip and a rental car for a day.

Pricey,but it maybe your best option.

Thanat0s
02-08-2010, 07:10 AM
you are seriously gonna fly to see a dr
for a months worth of scripts?!?!?!

wtf?
methamph, now this?

krink, yer off teh hook, son.

nick
02-08-2010, 07:24 AM
you are seriously gonna fly to see a dr
for a months worth of scripts?!?!?!

wtf?
methamph, now this?

krink, yer off teh hook, son.

I don't know.It could well work out cheaper than scoring on the street and it's certainly safer.It's obviously not an ideal situation,but it could be the best option.

Stonnewolf
02-08-2010, 08:01 AM
i live in w.va and i knew people who went to flordia and filled there scripts in different states.. and another friend sometimes has his doctor from FL mail him his script.

Opuim4TheMasses
02-08-2010, 08:17 AM
I know of a few older people who use the VA and always get their meds shipped to them, while Im sure its an inter-state thing, but still I know for a fact that C-II meds CAN be sent thru the USPS...

Restharrow
02-08-2010, 11:05 AM

My pain clinic lets me come in every other month now. They give post dated scripts.

they stopped the post dated scripts when DEA said it was illegal and within a week of the DEA posting their new interpretation of the law in the Federal Register, my pain clinic started back.

It changes contstantly with me. Been at same clinic 8 years and they used to let me go 3 months sometimes, then every month, and now every other month.

I think some states have controls also.

When pharmacists are not comfortable with a script, they usually claim it is due to some law, when its actually the pharmacist.

will

taj
02-08-2010, 11:47 AM
My pain clinic lets me come in every other month now. They give post dated scripts.

they stopped the post dated scripts when DEA said it was illegal and within a week of the DEA posting their new interpretation of the law in the Federal Register, my pain clinic started back.

It changes contstantly with me. Been at same clinic 8 years and they used to let me go 3 months sometimes, then every month, and now every other month.

I think some states have controls also.

When pharmacists are not comfortable with a script, they usually claim it is due to some law, when its actually the pharmacist.

will

mine too, every other month.. my doctor said he found out you're not supposed to actually post-day the scripts, but write them for that day, then write on them "do not fill til such and such a date" and he's a pretty big stickler for the rules..

I think he sometimes forgets that we;ve switched to every other month finally after 4 years, but I don't say anything, I just go along with the program..

Restharrow
02-08-2010, 04:05 PM
mine too, every other month.. my doctor said he found out you're not supposed to actually post-day the scripts, but write them for that day, then write on them "do not fill til such and such a date" and he's a pretty big stickler for the rules..

I think he sometimes forgets that we;ve switched to every other month finally after 4 years, but I don't say anything, I just go along with the program..
Thats really what I meant by "postdated". Its dated that day and says "do not fill until ______".

DEA has gone back and forth on this a lot. The fact that Ritalin is C II caused an uproar from upper middle class parents when they were told they have to visit the doctor monthly instead of quartly so Junior can get his Rit. script.