PDA

View Full Version : Expired Xanax

Porcupine
01-29-2010, 07:16 PM
I have an expired xanax. By about 2 years. Is it still safe to take?

I've read every thing I could on the internet, but there seems to be a bit of dissent on the subject. 50 percent of people say "NO, it's toxic," and the other 50, "It might just be less potent."

Does anyone have any actual experience taking expired Xanax?

LuckyNumber13
01-29-2010, 07:34 PM
i don't see how they would become toxic, less potent most definitely

bars go for $5 each around these parts, i'd sell em and go buy some fresh ones

flowergirl
01-29-2010, 07:41 PM
If anything at all, it may just lose potency slightly. That prescription is dated to expire from the date prescribed, not the date it was manufactured, so there is lots of time built in there.

dharma bum
01-29-2010, 07:46 PM
I've taken 14 yr old valium that were prescibed to my sister's deceased dog with no ill effect besides the usual drowsiness. That's all I can I add. I doubt it will hurt you though. Is it just one?

Thanat0s
01-29-2010, 08:33 PM
eat m.
dum e.

edit:
pills will usually smell look or taste funny if they go bad at all.
2yrs in dryenough storage.eat m.

More Feen
01-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Its very rare for medicine to "go toxic" past their expiration date.

What does happen is that it become marginally less effective--depending on conditions (temp, light exposure,moisture, etc....).

I can vouch for the fact that many hospitals CANNOT use expired medication for their patients, but this medicine is no less strong the day AFTER it has expired, than the day before it expired.

People have found morphine from the 1800's and it still had 75% or more of its kick. I think there was a movie with Jacqueline Bisset (sp?) THE DEEP, that deals with this issue. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Deep_(film)

Agreeing with Thanatos--Eat 'em up--yum!

M F

Expired Xanax,
Little rod-shaped Xanax,
Expired Xanax, eat them up--YUM!!

(sing to "Fish Heads" s.v.p.)

opieland
01-29-2010, 08:51 PM
swim once stole some expired percs/hydrocodone by about 5 years... sold most of them, the ones swim ate were definitely less potent than what he is used to... swim never even thought about toxicity.

chopstix
01-29-2010, 10:35 PM
I read expired xanax sometimes grows invisible fungus that can give you Ebola. I read it on bluelight, if you start spewing blood out of your eyes and ears, don't cough on anyone..

warbux
01-30-2010, 12:08 AM
expired xanax shouldn't go bad maybe if had been sitting around for century it might be slightly less potent but all in all they are still just as good

also i've had 10+ year old xanax and they were just as good as brand new ones

and no expired xanax cannot grow ebola thats a fact

also ive had 80 year old morphine that was just as good as brand new ones

warbux
01-30-2010, 12:09 AM
also i've had 10+ year old xanax and they were just as good as brand new ones

More Feen
01-30-2010, 01:02 AM
Moderators,

PLEASE, do NOT delete the second post from War-B,

I think it is hilarious!!

M F

More Feen
01-30-2010, 01:03 AM
I think its hilarious !!!

M F

Sister
01-30-2010, 01:44 PM
I had my family dr. tell me that meds are still usuable past their expiration date.

Poppylvr
01-30-2010, 05:16 PM
In part expiration dates came into play as a marketing trick. if a med is expired, well then the patient has to buy new ones, right? More bux for the [harmacy.
There are medicines that truly do loose their potency in a bad way especially if not stored properly - insulin comes immediately to my mind.
But a 2 year out of date xanax should be just fine.

JonnyM
01-30-2010, 05:33 PM
Just dispose of it in my mouth just to be safe :)

Score_K4
01-30-2010, 05:45 PM
I always wondered about this too, a friend offered a friend of mine a bottle of Adderall IR 20mg by Bar that was out of date for like four months. I always wondered if it was safe to take it. My friend was concerned that the amphetamine would not metabolize properly in his body. I guess who wants a dangerous version of speed in his body.r. He was scared to take them and the meds owner threw them down the sewer.

When I was in college, the nurse told me that although the Flonase was out of date, it was still safe to take. She told me that the pharmaceutical companies also uses this as a marketing ploy.

One exception to this rule was that the pharmacy tech told me to be careful taking antibiotics after the expiration date. She told me that they might become toxic. The pills were Cipro 500mg. I threw them away today. Can any healthcare professional verify that the said information for discarding antibiotics are true.

Morphus
01-31-2010, 03:09 PM
What kind of dope fiend would even think of such a silly thing? I'm stripping you of your stripes.

OpiateQueen
01-31-2010, 07:25 PM
i very much doubt that any meds go toxic after expiry date - unless stated very very clearly on the label etc. Otherwise there would be all sorts of horror sotories of people who hadn't noticed the little expiry date, old people who couldn't even read the date, etc etc.
This is assuming stored under normal conditions. otherwise fungus etc may come into play...
heaps of people already try and play on it ("i accidntly gave my child 6 month out of datre cough meds and it made him soooo sick.....") BAH!

I can't remember the time line, but like Poppy says, they are required to put an expiry by law and it is usually years and years b4 when they would really expire/lose potency.

Im happy to be proved wrong though, there are prob exxceptions. I reckon youd be fine with ya xanax though.:)

goodgirlgonebad
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM
I highly doubt anything is "dangerous" to take after the expiration date..just less effective. Though if it was something that was a life or death med (like blood pressure, blood thinners, diabetic drugs, etc) I wouldn't go TOO far past the expiration date, but as far as a pain pill or benzo who gives a shit? I have taken expired hydrocodone and percocet and noticed that it wasn't as potent, but still did it's job. What I want to know is how can somebody possibly allow something so beautiful expire? Brings a tear to my eye...

I think the expiration dates are just to relieve the drug manufacturer of liability...kinda like expiration dates on food. It's not like at midnight on that date the drug magically loses it's chemical makeup. Just take it!

ouaisOut
01-31-2010, 11:36 PM
In part expiration dates came into play as a marketing trick. if a med is expired, well then the patient has to buy new ones, right? More bux for the [harmacy.
There are medicines that truly do loose their potency in a bad way especially if not stored properly - insulin comes immediately to my mind.
But a 2 year out of date xanax should be just fine.

Word. If anything has happened to that Xanax in 2 years, it's maybe lost a bit of potency but I doubt that even.

Maybe my memory is being affected by my desires, but I can remember scripts given to me in the 80s and 90s that had expiration dates at least 2 years out. It seems to me that in the last 10 years or so, coinciding with the triumph of Big Pharma, expiration dates have been shortened for all sorts of medications. I suspect greed and potential liability issues.

My grandmother was the head nurse at Lincoln General for most of the 50s and 60s. In the 80s and 90s, she would regularly take, and give away, meds that were past their expiration date. She was a real fire-brand and had good stories to back up her prejudices against ego-driven doctors and greedy pharmaceutical companies.

Everything she predicted about the medical industry and the pharmaceutical industry has come true. She came up in the Depression and when people were lucky enough to get medicines you know for sure that they didn't just chuck those meds one year after they got them from the doctor.

When my grandmother died, she had all kinds of bottles of pills that she had been using over the years. Sure, she'd chuck certain meds that were prone to aging, but she sure as hell wasn't chucking out valuable and stable meds like seconal or valium because she knew they were still good even if written in the 70s.

BigLou
02-04-2010, 10:05 AM
if it were me id be eating them and not even makin this post :D

digby
02-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I had a 9 year old bottle of xanax that had a 2 year expiration date written on it and they are still good.

I have a brand new bottle of xanax with a 5 year expiration date. Makes you wonder why the same drug would have two different expiration periods with a 3 year difference.

They do because the expiration dates are all bullshit and the manufacturers know it. With very few exceptions such as antibiotics, it is best to ignore expiration dates unless you feel more secure throwing good drugs away.