PDA

View Full Version : DXM - Is it an opiate?

SeedyCat
01-25-2010, 06:36 AM
I'm mid paws time and the thing that keeps me busy seems to be DXM.

Is it an Opiate or derivative or analog?

will it come up in tests?

I barely ever get sick/flu with opiates - maybe every 7 years and DXM seems to be the best thing to bring peace to me throughout paws.

maybe its the detachment, maybe its the space like travel it brings on. It just seems so perfect for paws and pre paws that i cant help thinking the two be related.

I know this is old news but i want more.
FIX FIX FIX i think and a few gulps later Purrfection. Im stuck and dont wanna become a chronic robotripper

Anyone got some great biochemical knoledge to share. I'm just slightly concerned

Import
01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
Well, the opiates that we have all come to love and hate are active at the mu opiod receptors in our bodies. Dextromethorphan is active mostly at kappa receptor sites, although theres always a chance that it has some peripheral mu activation (unnoticeable).
So, while DXM has a type of opiod stimulation, its probably not the kind thatll make you warm and fuzzy and nod off into yer bowl of ramen.
Many people find it helpful, many dont.

Chronic robotripping=probably not great (ulneys lesions and such), but I guess you already knew that.

Not sure about the drug tests...word on the street when I was in high school :rolleyes:was that it came up as phencyclidine (PCP)

Score_K4
01-25-2010, 09:23 AM
Well DXM is an analogue of morphine. It is specifically excluded from the Control Substances Act of 1970. It is in the morphinan class of structures, so it does have the underlying structure of morphine, but it is no a mu receptor agonist. It is an NMDA receptor antagonist so it mimics the effects of glutamine. So chemically it shares similar mu effects ketamine and PCP especially when taken in the third plateau doses and 4th plateau doses. To sum it up, it is structurally similar to the opoiods but it chemically acts like ketamine and PCP. It is classified as a dissociative anesthetic.

Chronic is right. Chronic tripping is not good for the brain. It has caused onley lesions in animal tests. Its still not a definite in humans because it is sometimes difficult to extrapolate the effects of animal studies on human bodies. However, when my friends always robotripped, they complained about being like their brains were being fried. It could be the bromide atoms that are causing that effects. William White did suggest using a benzo like Klonopin after DXM use to slow down the excitatory effects caused by the DXM.

Here is a link to the famous William E. White DXM faq. http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/dxm/faq/dxm_faq.shtml

I hope this answers some of your questions.

Thanat0s
01-25-2010, 09:31 AM
dmx is the dextrorotary isomer of levomethorphan, a potent mu agonist, but dxm isnt thought to exhibit much activity on our fav receptor.
has been a great aid to me in paws, ie: the distraction, the disassociation leaving me still clean, albeit maybe a bit 'spacemanned' at times.

onley's leison's have been largely disproven as a consequence, and they only seemed to occur at reedickulously high dosages.

dxm aint for everyone, dose too much w/o knowing what yer getting into and you are NOT gonna be happy,
but, for those who tolerate and/or enjoy its effects it has been shown(and not just by my, google or look at some erowid archives) to be beneficial in treating symptomology and cravings of both acute and post acute opiod withdrawal.

oh, and ive popped pos for 'done on dxm, and it is reasonable that one my test pos for pcp/ketamine as well.
i piss benzos and weed, occasional seed tea metabloties as well so,
fuckit.

edit:
re: longterm effects 'loosed screwz:' ive been on/off fairly heavy dxm use for recreational/'spiritual'/etc reasons for roughly 15 years. i have noticed no cognitive impairment, no serious physical consequence etc that continues after the drug has left my system. next day after a heavy dose can be a little unpleasant sometimes, but no worse than in the beginning.
that said, i would NOT advise 3rd plateau dosing daily or anything.
the stuff loses a bit of its charm with too frequent dosing anyways, like anything else...

Indy
01-25-2010, 03:11 PM
I don't THINK that it will make you drop dirty for opiates. In fact I'm REASONABLY certain.

Chemically it might share some properties with opiates, and under some criteria it might be an opioid/opiate, but pharmacologically it's definitely not an opiate to me: it doesn't affect the brain the way an opiate does, and it doesn't prevent withdrawal from opiate substances, so for all MY intents and purposes, it's not.

Thanat0s
01-25-2010, 03:16 PM
I don't THINK that it will make you drop dirty for opiates. In fact I'm REASONABLY certain.

Chemically it might share some properties with opiates, and under some criteria it might be an opioid/opiate, but pharmacologically it's definitely not an opiate to me: it doesn't affect the brain the way an opiate does, and it doesn't prevent withdrawal from opiate substances, so for all MY intents and purposes, it's not.

im unaware of its metabolites and interactions with drug tests...

i was however, denied signup at a methadone prog because i pissed positive for m'done when they piss chked me.

i was in H w/d, had dosed dxm day before...

i dunno if the H or dxm would be more likely to cause a false positive...

lespaulpower
01-25-2010, 04:55 PM
DXM is the right handed stereoisomer of Levomethorphan, which IS in fact an opioid..

DXM's main active metabolite is Dextrorphanol, which is the right handed isomer of Levorphanol; which is also an opioid.

Levorphanol and Levomethorphan are both fully synthetic opioids of the "Morphinan" class. The Morphinan structure is a typical three ring stucture much like morphine, only synthetic.

Neither DXM OR it's metabolite Dextrorphan have typical opioid activity, but they both are mirror images of two synthetic opioids.

Dextromethorphan IS a derivitave of the Morphinan group, but has NMDA/Psychedelic activity rather than opioid activity. Several other morphinan derivitaves are non opioid as well.

ALSO; I might as well point out that NMDA antagonists like DXM, Ketamine, or Ibogaine are speculated to be beneficial in treating opiate addiction; this MIGHT have something to do with the fact that NMDA antagonists are believed to interrupt certain types of memory circuitry...

Indy
01-25-2010, 05:09 PM
im unaware of its metabolites and interactions with drug tests...

i was however, denied signup at a methadone prog because i pissed positive for m'done when they piss chked me.

i was in H w/d, had dosed dxm day before...

i dunno if the H or dxm would be more likely to cause a false positive...

Interesting...somebody should research it to know for sure. It'd be good to know if it can cause false positives. How fucking lame is it that you were denied entry to a methadone clinic because you tested positive for (wait for it...) METHADONE!

DXM is the right handed stereoisomer of Levomethorphan, which IS in fact an opioid..

DXM's main active metabolite is Dextrorphanol, which is the right handed isomer of Levorphanol; which is also an opioid.

Levorphanol and Levomethorphan are both fully synthetic opioids of the "Morphinan" class. The Morphinan structure is a typical three ring stucture much like morphine, only synthetic.

Neither DXM OR it's metabolite Dextrorphan have typical opioid activity, but they both are mirror images of two synthetic opioids.

Dextromethorphan IS a derivitave of the Morphinan group, but has NMDA/Psychedelic activity rather than opioid activity. Several other morphinan derivitaves are non opioid as well.

ALSO; I might as well point out that NMDA antagonists like DXM, Ketamine, or Ibogaine are speculated to be beneficial in treating opiate addiction; this MIGHT have something to do with the fact that NMDA antagonists are believed to interrupt certain types of memory circuitry...

Also interesting, but like I said I personally don't count it as an opioid because it just doesn't work as one. I've heard about DXM being used for withdrawal and I could see it helping, but more as a symptomatic/comfort drug than actually tapering off or substituting for an opioid.

lespaulpower
01-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Also interesting, but like I said I personally don't count it as an opioid because it just doesn't work as one. I've heard about DXM being used for withdrawal and I could see it helping, but more as a symptomatic/comfort drug than actually tapering off or substituting for an opioid.

Agreed.

I do not think it's positive impact on withdrawal has much, if anything, to do with it having any opioid activity or similar structure.. I think it's value for treating withdrawal comes from the dissociation it causes; mind being separate from body.

It replaces the sick and depressed feeling with more of a cold, numb, anesthetic feeling..

Indy
01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
It replaces the sick and depressed feeling with more of a cold, numb, anesthetic feeling..

It's funny, to most people, and even to opiate addicts who aren't sick at the moment, that sounds like a very negative effect. But when you're withdrawing, feeling numb and empty starts to sound pretty damn good lol

DCBA
01-25-2010, 06:12 PM
DXM doesn't cause false positives for morphine, don't know if exists any specific tests for methorhan but if so then dxm can turn those postive cause its 50% of methorphan.. But even if methorphan tests exists then the metabolites they would be searching for would be from levomorphan instead of dextomethorphan because thats the stereo isomer that has opioid effects..
It would also turn positive tests for morphinan because dexorphan(dxo) is 50% of morphinan and the other stereoisomer is an opioid drug levophanol.

So resuming DXM could only turn positive tests for morphinan (dromoran) and methorphan. And it only would turn tests positive if the tests would search for any of the stereo isomers, and that must no be the case because the only stereo isomers that are opiates (in effects) are the levo part of that molecules.

DXM is not an opiod! The definition of an opioid is a drug that mimics the effects of natural opiates... DXM doesn't do that!
Its no also an opiate.. an opiate like i said is the natural molecules presented in p.somniferum that have opioid effects.