PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on how to get my sub doctor to up my alprazolam doseage

Reeferz
01-18-2010, 12:44 AM
hey guys, i recently started a suboxone taper program.

im prescribed 3 8mg tablets a day (which i dont need all of lol, one is really enough, honestly 2-4 mg is plenty to get normal) and 2 2mg xanax bars a day.

the problem is with my tolerance 4mg of alprazolam isnt really all that much at all

my question is what would be a good thing to tell my doctor that would get him to increase my alprazolam dose, im lookin to be scripted around 6-10mg a day to be taken either as needed, on a schedule, or some combination of both (sometimes my anxiety isnt acting up all that bad and i dont need as much xanax, but it goes both ways as sometimes it acts up even while im on the 4mg)

even if its just a temporary increase to taper me down to the point where my tolerance allows the 4mg to work as it should. i just dont want to say the wrong thing and blow my chances.

panda
01-18-2010, 05:19 AM
imo, you do not got a good chance. even a less chance if your sub doctor is the one giving you the xanax..

they really don't like to give you benzo's with subs, because of the od possibility.

but if we had more info, like how long you have been on the xanax and reason's why they were prescribed?

i am on 4 2mg xanax a day, prescribed by my pcp. my pm doctor and my doctor when i was on subs, said it was way to much, that in very rare cases should more then 4mg's a day be prescribed.

i think the only reason i get so much is because, i have ended up at the ER many of times thinking i was going to die! and they all ended up being panic attacks. my doctor got my records from the ER at my request and started me on the benzo's. i started out on 2mgs a day, but it didn't help. so he bumped me up to 4mgs a day, and didn't really help that much either. i never abused benzo's at all either, it's just how bad my attacks were. well, i came in for my monthly refill visit and the doctors office gave my info out to my crazy mom. i flipped because she was not on my medical release list. i walked out, saying i was calling the medical board. the doctor chased me down the street, telling me to come back. that day they raised me to 8mgs a day! and even started me on 15mg oxy ir's 3 times a day, even though i was getting pain medication from my pm clinic!

also, when was the last time, they upped your dose?

Reeferz
01-18-2010, 07:39 AM
they havnt upped it since i started the sub, before i walked into his office i was taking 15-25mg a day of alprazolam and had a seizure when i tried to stop CT, this 4mg a day is barely getting me out of bed

i am on 4 2mg xanax a day, prescribed by my pcp. my pm doctor and my doctor when i was on subs, said it was way to much, that in very rare cases should more then 4mg's a day be prescribed.

pcp? what does pcp stand for?

dharma bum
01-18-2010, 07:44 AM
Jayzus that's alotta xanny....That's why I stopped taking xans (emergencies only now) and switched to klonnies---all the frequent dosing because of the short half life quickly had me not feeling 10-12 mg a day.

Reeferz
01-18-2010, 07:45 AM
how would you compare the buzz off of clonazepam to alprazolam?

Opuim4TheMasses
01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
If you are looking for a buzz then stick with the xanax...

If you want anxiety relief then go with the k-pins....

but you can't have it both ways. It doesnt work like that. If u use them for catching a buzz u may as well give up that rx bc it aint gonna work....

Thanat0s
01-18-2010, 07:54 AM
if you NEED benzos for anxiety or panics,
go wit clonaz. long half life

the way to get yer Dr to Rx more?
whatever you do DONT ASK HIM.
lead him to the conclusion your dose is too low.
unless you want all the BUSPAR you could ever want...

docs hate it when you self rx...

Brony
01-18-2010, 08:22 AM
pcp? what does pcp stand for?

Primary Care Physician

dharma bum
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
how would you compare the buzz off of clonazepam to alprazolam?

Yeah, what Opium4themasses and Thanat0s say. And I NEED those little mentholated beuties.

BigLou
01-18-2010, 11:03 AM
this is what i would say (and have said, and should work depending on your doctor)

first thing is how long have you been on the 2mg two times a day? pretend it was a year for example, i'd say Doc ive been on this same dose now for a year and at first it really helped my anxiety and now its not helping like it used to, and i was wondering if you could prescribe me 1 more tablet a day and see if that will solve the anxiety problem because alprazolam is a medication that constantly needs to be upped in dosage.

and if you dont want to mention it (like thana said) because some doctors wont do it if you come out and ask just lead to the conclusion that your dose is too low, (like thana said)

now all i had to tell my sub doc was that my old family doc cut me back to 3 a day of the 0.5's and i was on 4 and that wasnt even enough and he didnt hesitate to prescribe me 1mg 3x a day

best of like ref

Opuim4TheMasses
01-18-2010, 12:05 PM
What I find odd is how some doctors welcome well informed patients with open arms, and are totally cool with input from the patient. Will actually look at things you may have found on the net or whatever about a particular drug, or dosage info.....

On the other hand you have the "I'll dare you trying to do my fucking job, its (ultram/buspar) for you, junkie".....

IMO I would NEVER put something in my body without SOME kind of research first. With dosage mix-ups (mistaking mcgs for mg), horrible, uncaught drug interactions, I personally ask tons of questions, look up everything possible. Take print outs...etc. But I've always had good relationships with my docs/PM docs / methadone clinic staff....

sexualhealing
01-18-2010, 05:26 PM
i would say things that make HIM decide that you need more and ur dose is cutting it.... mention feeling any sort of panic attack symptoms or anxiety and see if he will raise it on his own accord.

u may end up being swithced to kpins if u push or even tapered to nothing and labeled as a drug seeker.

i personally called me doc in between visits and had some major meltdowns on the phone and got extra scripts called in and then when i went back it always was asked if it helped and i would say yes...but i still feel this and this.....and slowly went from .5mg kpin a day up to 4mg.....

i went cold turkey from 2mg/day when i started subs at his request and did everything he asked me to try and just kept saying it didnt work (cuz it didnt!!!) so be patient and play it like a game of chess.....

u know what u want to get, he doesnt. keep it that way and always keep ur eye on the prize, even if u gotta sacrafice a few pawns on the way to make it there.....gain the trust and keep being honest.... time is at ur side.

austinslacker
01-18-2010, 06:46 PM
Yep, I agree with ThanatOs and Opium4masses said and its all the Buspar you can get. Nowadays PCPs are really tight with the script when it comes to Xannies. Worse yet, you may just end up with a referral to a psychiatrist that will give you Paxil or any other SSRI and taper you off the benzos. Be content at least for a while longer.

That's what happened to me: Shrink referral,Prozac, and been on 6mgs. of Xanax for 8 years already. Only take the Xanax if I really need to.
Peace

hydro chris
01-18-2010, 06:58 PM
ahh, sometimes threads like these "or similar" should just utfse.
sorry, dont take it personal and welcome

dieselbaby
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM
Consider yourself lucky to even be getting 4mg of Xanax per day prescribed to you. Some people would kill for that. 6mg might be pushing it, there's no way you're going to get your SUBOXONE DOCTOR to prescribe you 8-10 mg. Don't make me laugh :p

BigLou
01-18-2010, 08:04 PM
all doctors are different man. it is possible just very unlikely

Reeferz
01-19-2010, 11:50 AM
i live in south florida guys, im about 20 minutes from broward county. theres pill mills everywhere. i have a buddy (not swim lol) that walked into a pill mill with an MRI of his barely even slipped disk (honestly if his back was fine he coulda bought an illegal one off somone with a fucked up back for about 200 bucks), saw the doc and left with 60 oxy 80s, 90 2mg xannies and i forgot how many blue 30s i think 120?

its dirty and corrupt down here man, the pain management business in south florida is legalized dope dealing. and they all specialize in bupe detox as well; thats why i chose a legit doc to get my subs at and as much as i want more xanax im kinda glad they dont give in to me and wont give me any more, it gives me faith in them that their a legitamite doctors office and not a pill mill.

so if i was at one of these pill mills for their "maintenance program" i could prolly walk out of there with 90 8mg subs and 120 2mg xannies (they all have pharmacies built in so they fill on site right there), i actually knew a chick who was prescribed to 60 8mg subutex and 120 2mg xannies along with some modafil? modanifil? whatever the fuck it is lol, i know because i saw the bottle and she was always so fucked up that SWIM would steal the bars out of her bottle lol, she atem like candy and had so many so she never caught him.

BigLou
01-19-2010, 11:58 AM
wow sounds like some people i know. well today i go back to my family doctor (the quacky indian) who cut me back to 3 a day because someone called blackmailing me saying i was selling my xanax 0.5 4x daily. so im gonna explain the story and the script was last filled the 24th for 90 and im gonna say i had to take 4 almost everday just to get to sleep so mabye they will date the script for today :) hopefully. worst case senario i get a script of 90 dated for the 24th, but hoping to get one for 120 0.5 dated for today!

sexualhealing
01-19-2010, 05:42 PM
dude fuck that blackmailing shit... DO NOT GIVE YOUR DOCTORS INFO OUT.... people do fuct up shit... i will NEVER tell anyone, not even good friends, who i see..... i may trust them today and tomo, but who knows about a year from now....

will they mention i slipped them a few subs and a few kpins at times??? u never fucking know...

that sucks, hope it works out

OPIcunningham
01-19-2010, 05:54 PM
if you NEED benzos for anxiety or panics,
go wit clonaz. long half life

the way to get yer Dr to Rx more?
whatever you do DONT ASK HIM.
lead him to the conclusion your dose is too low.
unless you want all the BUSPAR you could ever want...

docs hate it when you self rx...

funny, thats how i got a drawer fulla busbar?

i think 2 mg of zanax is a pretty normal dose.. no?

BigLou
01-20-2010, 11:28 AM
there is no "normal" dose everybody's different and if you have a doctor who isnt a quack he knows the dosage needs to be upped like every 6month or even earlier cause you get immune

Poppylvr
01-20-2010, 11:32 AM

2 mg of Xanax is a high dose. In my psych hospital the usual dose is 0.5 3-4 times a day. I have never had a patient IN THE HOSPITAL prescribed 2 mg of Xanax. The docs figure if the patient needs that much benzo then they need klonopin which is much longer acting.

Opuim4TheMasses
01-20-2010, 11:54 AM

U know I had a buddy who would SNORT buspar and shit it gave him a very distinct and different head twisting dizzy light headed sort of feeling. I never tried it, but he claimed it was something to try....

He would actually buy them for like 25-50¢ each from people.....musta did SOMETHING to seek them out like that...

OPIcunningham
01-20-2010, 01:25 PM
U know I had a buddy who would SNORT buspar and shit it gave him a very distinct and different head twisting dizzy light headed sort of feeling. I never tried it, but he claimed it was something to try....

He would actually buy them for like 25-50¢ each from people.....musta did SOMETHING to seek them out like that...

weird, i couldnt imagie what it would do, maybe ill give it a try..i got tons

poppylvr : i meant 2 mgs all day, like my wifes script is for .5 3 times daily... so i meant that as a normal dose? 2mgs at a time 3 times daily i would say is high.. thats 3 bars a day..

Opuim4TheMasses
01-20-2010, 02:24 PM
weird, i couldnt imagie what it would do, maybe ill give it a try..i got tons

Let me know if u really do, I wanna know if it works, not that I wanna try it, but yeah.....

sexualhealing
01-20-2010, 08:05 PM
i know people on 4 2mg bars daily.... highest ive ever heard legit....

of course they doc shop and get double to quad that amount and then the grand mal's begin..... oh vey...

BigLou
01-20-2010, 08:37 PM
i know alot of people who are prescribed 2mg bars 4x a day...it all depends on how bad your anxiety is and also most of the people who get 4 bars started out at 0.5mg 3-4 times a day and year after year it was increased.