PDA

View Full Version : Is there a window of time in which a new written script can be used?

RifRaf
12-28-2009, 01:28 AM
(Sorry if this is the wrong subforum, it seemed this would be the best place to ask this.)

Is there a set timeframe in which you can turn in a new written perscription? I have a script from October that I haven't used yet for Suboxone. Since then I have turned in other newer written perscriptions because I had forgot about it and continued to get new ones. So now I have this script written back in October and I want to know if I may have any problems taking it to my pharmacy.

justonefix
12-28-2009, 01:40 AM
I ran across this once with a Sub script, I wanna say it expired 6 months after it was written. This was in Washington state last year, not sure if it's a state-to-state thing.

Next time you go to re-fill just bring in the old script, if you can use it great, if not you'll have the new one

Swellin
12-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Here in B.C, Canada with narcotics (not sure if subs count as that) a triplicit as they call it, the prescription pads for narcotics they are only valid for 5 days after that a pharmacy will not allow them to be used. Why that is im not sure but my doctor has told me this and my mother many many times.

panda
12-28-2009, 02:14 AM
i filled a script for some percs, 27 days after it was written. the pharmacist told me they expire in 30 days.

i would say your best bet would be to take it to another pharmacy, then you usually go to. they might look and see you had sub scripts filled that were dated after that one, and not fill it.

the only problem that i can see coming out of this is, if you get an asshole pharmacist and they call your doctor. now, your doc thinks you aint filling your scripts for whatever reason. i am not going to speculate on what your doctor might do, because there are so many thing, he could do.

imo, i wouldn't fill it, unless i had no other way to stay not sick till my next appointment.

RifRaf
12-28-2009, 07:10 AM
i filled a script for some percs, 27 days after it was written. the pharmacist told me they expire in 30 days.

i would say your best bet would be to take it to another pharmacy, then you usually go to. they might look and see you had sub scripts filled that were dated after that one, and not fill it.

My Doctor is fine with it. The problem with this, though, is that my insurance would still be able to tell them about any newer scripts I had filled, so I could only do this without giving the new pharmacy my insurance info but Sub's are extremely expensive so I probably couldn't go this route.

ItsLupus
12-28-2009, 08:55 AM
if your dr is fine with it you wont have a problem unless you have allready had a script filled for the same amount/mg and its not time to fill a new one.then the ins will reject it as "can't refill until such and such date" if you dont need them til then tell the pharmacy fine thats when I will get them keep the script on file.If the pharm questions the date just say youve had the script since then and dr knows youre gonna fill it and hes fine with it(they'll most likely call).

The only questions you'll get will be most likely from the pharmacist as to why you havent filled it before now..I'd tell the pharmacist whatever you told the dr...lost,dose change,ran out so the story will mesh cause they'll most likely call him to verify that he is ok with filling an old script.

So whatever you told or asked the dr go with that cause that will be where the story could spiral into a big bullshit drama episode for you.keep it simple and as long as its not to soon to fill it will go thru the ins...if it wont then you'll have to wait or see if they will let you pay cash..some will and some wont but I would stick with your normal pharmacy youre likely to get less bullshit there than presenting at a new pharm where they've never seen you,with an outdated script wanting to pay cash or saying no ins..IMHO that will raise more flags than anything.

If your dr is cool with it then you should have no issue from the pharm other than maybe a few questions.

Good luck

Dr.G
12-28-2009, 08:58 AM
Where I intern, the prescription must be submitted within 30 days or the pharmacy will not fill. You will have to get a new script from the physician, and give him the old one. Or the pharmacy can call the prescriber.

Papa Verine
12-28-2009, 09:36 AM
The pharmacy I use is emplyed by a bunch of dumb kids. I've gotten away with some rediculous shit from the staff there. Two months ago I turned in a script from APRIL. It worked. I'm pretty sure they didn't even look at the date.

This month I got refills on my scripts when I didn't have any re-fills left. I thought I was going to have to ask the pharmacy to fax a request to my doctor's office, when I get a call from the pharmacy saying my meds are ready for pick-up. I ran out the door and got them before they realized I didn't even have a script this month.

And lastly, I picked up 6 refills, six months in a row, a couple years ago, AFTER I quit seeing my doctor. I didn't have a single re-fill. But, every month, for 6 months, I picked them up.

My pharmacy fucks up regularly. I also intimidate the staff quite a bit, and maybe that helps distract them, but still... It's rediculous.

eukodalic
12-28-2009, 11:38 AM
These were some really good answers to your question, RifRaf..the only thing I can add is - yes, the "lifespan" of controlled sub. prescriptions will often vary state-to-state. My state has a 6 month rule-
the script is good for 6 months from the date the doc has written the script. Non-controlled scripts, such as lipitor, are good for a year from written. Dr. G's advice is great- simply exchange the old script for a new one with your doc at the next meeting. Insurance can definitely cause you some problems, if you are not paying out of pocket. Good luck - however it turns out! I know that Sub is really expensive w/o insurance.

Wow- Papa- that is some pharmacy you have!

RifRaf
12-28-2009, 06:19 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys. I took it in today without any problems, they didn't even ask me one question. I have been going to this pharmacy for 2 years, every week for a year and the past year once a month so I am on a fairly friendly basis with all of them and they all know me and know what I get perscribed. The reason I had a 2nd script from my Doctor was because he wrote me one for 2 weeks, but when I got to the receptionist she told me that I had to come back in 3 weeks due to a holiday so she went back to the doctor and got a new script and didn't ask me for the old one. The next time I seen him he accidently gave me a 2nd blank script under my perscription and I handed it back to him and he said "you should have kept that!" (yea, I should have) and then I brought up the extra script I had from before, he told me "that's fine if you need to fill it, better to have some laying around."

Tainted
12-28-2009, 07:34 PM
Awesome. Thanks guys. I took it in today without any problems, they didn't even ask me one question. I have been going to this pharmacy for 2 years, every week for a year and the past year once a month so I am on a fairly friendly basis with all of them and they all know me and know what I get perscribed. The reason I had a 2nd script from my Doctor was because he wrote me one for 2 weeks, but when I got to the receptionist she told me that I had to come back in 3 weeks due to a holiday so she went back to the doctor and got a new script and didn't ask me for the old one. The next time I seen him he accidently gave me a 2nd blank script under my perscription and I handed it back to him and he said "you should have kept that!" (yea, I should have) and then I brought up the extra script I had from before, he told me "that's fine if you need to fill it, better to have some laying around."

Scheduled substances can be filled for 6 months after the date it's written, and all others can be filled for 12 months from date written, in america anyways.

panda
12-28-2009, 09:51 PM

good job handing back a blank script, that was smart. i know people who got into a ton of trouble doing shit like that. sadly in the same situation, i would have to think about, if i should keep it or not.

in your state are sub scripts different then normal narcotic scripts?

RifRaf
12-29-2009, 07:33 PM
in your state are sub scripts different then normal narcotic scripts?

I don't think so. I'm in Arizona.

I may have been able to get away with that blank script when I think about it (I don't like to think about it though). My handwritting looks the same as my doctors and, in the past, he has given me scripts for both Ambien and Klonopin so I could have wrote one of those out and they probably would have never asked. He is so nice too that I wonder if they called him if he would just say "yea, I wrote that", I doubt it but he seems like that type of guy or maybe he would just forget (tons of patients from 2 clinics in different towns). When my pharmacy has called him before on scripts turned in way too early he has always been really cool.