PDA

View Full Version : No veins??

Bud
12-20-2009, 04:01 PM
I searched around and found nothing, i'm a bigger guy and cant ever find a vein.

A couple people I know even couldnt who are experienced as I have only rushed a few times due to never finding a vein so i IM it.

Where is there a for sure vein or any advice i wanna get high not just feel good :)

GOLD N DIEMONDS
12-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Seem that this topic comes up on a weekly basis, with lots of great info in replies.
So, I would first suggest using the search engine here on OPI.
Try various word combos in search.

Bud
12-20-2009, 04:25 PM
I did....and got frustrated because there were similar things but nothing that ended with good results.

So I basically cant?

I dont know how to in the jugular or anywhere fancy.
I'm quite a noobie andm sure ill get told not start IVing. Just if your gonna do it I've noticed some people take it to far and get rude....please dont

Thanks

More Feen
12-20-2009, 04:37 PM
Maybe some nurses or phlebotomists at this site can offer suggestions.

If you cannot see any veins, then try to feel for them.

Tying-off will help you feel for a vein, even if you cannot see anything, they should feel mushy (compressible) & tube-like (sorry, that's the best description I can come up with).

If you feel a "tube" that is pulsating--do not stick it.

If you feel a "tube" that wiggles when you move your fingers/toes, its probably a tendon.

Good luck,

M F

erica
12-20-2009, 05:39 PM
Try searching the internet for harm reduction websites, they generally have some great tutorials on how to IV. Some even have pictures and/or video.

ka11ink
12-20-2009, 06:00 PM
I have a hard time seeing the ones in the crook of my elbows, try a warm bath/shower. And if u still cant c them just try poking in a few spots and try registering, that's how i found mine and i used them for about 3 yrs and they are still good and open bc I shoot safely (well when I was using).

Dr.G
12-20-2009, 06:53 PM
No no, don't just go poking around. Veins are usually in the same place person to person. Feel for the vein on your elbow. It should be bouncy as opposed to skin which isn't. Hold a flashlight to a suspected area and you should see a slight blue due to subcutaneous fat absorbing low frequency wavelengths. When you think you may have found something, poke, draw for blood, and if successful, shoot. Try to stick as least as possible due to the fact dullness of the needle will occur which translates to scarring.

Tainted
12-20-2009, 06:58 PM
Best advise I can give ya is ALWAYS use a sharp new needle. Warm water and try the ones on your feet. I've had some larger friends we always would give it a go in turns trying to find a vein on them, always had trouble, eventually warm water + the foot seemed to work out.

I'm a skinny dude, but I have a similar problem of not having any veins to shoot in. I don't have any that bulge out, and myself and all my friends have a serious problem shooting me up (for a while it was anyways) I finally found one vein (doesn't help you) on my arm kinda towards the top that I can hit without even tying off (it doesn't bulge out, don't know how I even found it or knew where it was before it was lined with scars) but I can't even hit it tying off if the needle isn't fairly new.

Using old needles or dull needles I CANNOT find that vein. If I'm using a brand new needle I don't even have to tye off, one poke and im in.

pdxninja
12-20-2009, 06:59 PM
i used to be a bigger guy and my veins disappeared when this happened which makes for a bitch.

generally if i focused really hard and waved my arm around in circles to get the blood to flow to my arm it helped a BIT

i used to hit my jugular. its super easy. i dont really know what you'd need to know about the harmful possibilities about hitting the jug so dont take my advice at face value. perhaps a medical professional could lay out if hitting the jugular is bad or whatnot.

anyway to hit mine what i would do is hold my breath really hard and you see it pop out plain as day. ive heard you are supposed to lay down and have someone hit you but i always did it in the mirror. i would have someone experienced though point out a jugular to you in person as to avoid... other complications.

i also had better luck with my hands and feet. although it can hurt like a bitch hitting the palm of your hand.

erica
12-20-2009, 08:25 PM
DO NOT HIT YOUR JUGULAR vein unless you are extremely experienced AND you have absolutely nowhere else to hit (meaning your veins are all blown, not meaning you just can't find 'em). There was a thread titled "jugular" just a couple days ago, pdxninja I suggest you go check that out. It explains why hitting there is very dangerous and can be instantly fatal.

I have a hard time finding veins as well, but the more you practice IVing the right way, the better you'll get. It's way better to take the time to find a decent vein, even if it takes 30 minutes, than to poke around and finally just say "fuck it", and screw up. If I'm having a hard time, I'll put the tourniquet on (less taut than usual but still enough to feel some pressure) and swing that arm (or leg) around so I can feel the blood building up. Then I tighten the tourniquet and tighten and release my muscles (if it's my arm - by making a fist), and look for veins. Take your index finger and lightly press in different locations where you know there's a vein (hint: look up an anatomical picture of veins to find out where they are - many harm reduction sites have great guides which show where the best veins to shoot in are located). You'll know when you've found one because the area will be a bit bouncier/spongier. Also, use a new syringe after every ~3 unsuccessful pokes. You'd be surprised at how quickly the needle dulls!

The_Highwayman
12-20-2009, 08:38 PM
Do you tie off? If your a "bigger" guy as in have a few extra pounds then veins will be harder to find under the fatty tissue. If you haven't tie off and lift something with some weight to it, or do some push ups...take a hot shower that will get the veins out...and look at some harm reduction sites they are in google or yahoo and they can help also...good luck and happy (safe) shooting

KoDeInaaaae
12-21-2009, 12:19 AM
big guys cant do pushups. . .naw im jp lol

taj
12-21-2009, 06:41 PM
here are some useful links I posted in another thread about bigger people trying to iv.. if you click on the first link, it'll take you right to a chart of commonly used veins..
http://www.saferinjecting.info/vcbrieftext.html#correct%20intravenous
http://www.saferinjecting.net/safer-injecting-drugs.html

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?p=392558#post392558 this link will take you directly to my post(#10) in that thread, you may also find some additional info in that thread in general, if you haven't already read it

God_Albino
12-21-2009, 07:40 PM
i'm not big, just scrawny with baby veins. even if you're fuckin enormous without a crook popper in sight, you should have some hand veins, which used to be some of my best till i used em to death.

being pale also helps; i can see a lot of deeper veins through my skin even if most are too deep/hard to hit. if you can't hit normal, the last thing you wanna do is fuck with yer jugular, aaargh.

as long as you use fresh needles and follow the vein guide, taking 'educated shots in the dark' really can work, as long as you're not diggin around. i've found some fantastic ones taking a chance.

Ickyuck
12-21-2009, 08:44 PM
I have the same problem.<----- click on me
(http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=24955)

lord of the pings
12-22-2009, 11:34 AM
Shit I am the same way. Even before I got into IV use just getting my blood taken was a major undertaking. now after years of use I have nothing left. No hands, feet, etc. it's not that big of a deal to me since the rush has long been gone and all I want to do is get well. Just use clean points, rotate spots and apply something warm afterwards and everything should be good.

Schwip
12-22-2009, 01:08 PM
Im a big guy also.......

Found using my hands to be good. Also the tops of my thighs(your lap) has a few spots.

And if you use a longer needle, you could try and hit the traditional vein in the crook of your arm.

Make sure you use proper technique.... pull back to create a vacuum. That way when you hit you will see the beautiful red plume instantly.

Bud
12-22-2009, 02:28 PM
Thanks all, I've reading everyones posts and links.

It gets really frustrating because out of the numerous times i've only rushed once :(

I always tie off and pull back when i think ive been in and like i said friends have sat there and tried.
Its not that im a fat guy but im 6'1 220 so built big.

Citricburn
12-22-2009, 03:17 PM
your wrists should be easy enough to hit, just stayaway from the pulse....also try your feet/legs

candy
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM
It is best not to use your lower extremities; legs and feet.
Using your hands and or arms is the safest place to inject.

You really do not want to continue poking yourself, especially if you are missing.
This could lead to problems such as scarring and increase your risks for infection/abscess.

If you are giving yourself IM injections, this is not always the best option either.
I am not sure what type of syringes you are using, but the type used for giving insulin is really only good for an injection under the skin (subcutaneous injection) or for IV use. The needle on an insulin syringe is not long enough for an injection given in the muscle. The fluid you inject when trying to give yourself an IM injection just sits in the tissues and can lead to an infection.

You may want to consider just looking for other routes.
I'm sure this is not what you want to hear, but the risks may just out-weight the benefits in this case.

And please do not try giving yourself an injection into the neck or femoral vein. While you may read or hear stories of people doing so, this is not a good idea. There are too many problems that can happen and once again, too many risks.