PDA

View Full Version : Poppy pod tea and drug tests

existential_apathy
12-19-2009, 09:59 AM
I have a drug test coming up in about a month. I have been consuming poppy tea (along with the grinds) once a week for about two years now roughly, with a few breaks. I realize that morphine is very water soluble and will be out of your system in about 4 days.

So perhaps this is a dumb question but google hasn't been too helpful. How long will it take after my last dose to be completely sure that I will pass the drug test? I realize that pods are morphine and codeine but are they digested in such a way that will make the detectable period longer? Or will I be fine to pass a drug test 5 days after consuming my tea? I plan on giving myself a week to be able to piss clean urine. I am not phyiscally addicted, so I can quit whenever I want easily.

I am also slightly worried about the accumulation of pod dust in my room. Breathing some of it in or having specks of pod dust up my nose may gave me a slight dose of opiates. How significant would unintentionally breathing in pod dust be though? I imagine that it can't be more than what eating a poppy seed bagel would do, and it certaily doesn't make me high.

hovadagod
12-19-2009, 12:50 PM
I wouldn't worry about the pod tea but that dust might cause a positive test. Pod dust is notorious for this kind of thing.:p

existential_apathy
12-19-2009, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't worry about the pod tea but that dust might cause a positive test. Pod dust is notorious for this kind of thing.:p

I plan on sweeping up and vacuuming my room today. It's not as if I'm running my hands down the surfaces and licking dust off, but if I unsettle something a big puff of pod dust raises to the air. Better to be safe than sorry I suppose.

So you're saying that the detection period for pod tea is just like with straight morphine?

hovadagod
12-19-2009, 01:50 PM
No. I was just joking. Pod tea 1/2life could be longer than morphine but I have no idea. Maybe someone else can help but the pod dust thing is just so hilarious it is distracting from your real question.

GOLD N DIEMONDS
12-19-2009, 02:40 PM
AH YEA that pod dust :)
srsly you will be fine with the dust, I doubt even if you snorted lines of it
it would show up in your pee test.
Just buy a home test kit, and check yourself
don't use any drugs a week or two from test date.

your room probably needs cleaning anyways, so vacum away.
but pod dust??? no your are fine

existential_apathy
12-19-2009, 03:40 PM
No. I was just joking. Pod tea 1/2life could be longer than morphine but I have no idea. Maybe someone else can help but the pod dust thing is just so hilarious it is distracting from your real question.

Well, believe it or not, but a friend of mine who walked into my room with was covered with pod dust and which was recently unsettled causing pod dust to fly in the air, actually claimed that he was starting to get a buzz. I had a hard time believing it and was leaning toward it being a placebo effect, but I don't know enough to say that it is completely impossible. Regardless, I do think that any pod dust I accidently ingest, either through breathing it in or using a plate or spoon that had dust on it, won't register much higher than eating a few poppy seed bagels.

More Feen
12-19-2009, 11:32 PM
You can always test yourself using those urinalysis home test kits you can buy at drugs stores.

They are CRAZY expensive there, but look on line for SINGLE panel tests (why buy a 10-panel if you're only interested in one drug).

Once you have some of these test sticks, you can use some tea, then stop & measure how many days you still pop +. If you buy many of these test sticks, you could check your pee twice a day, until it reads negative.

This info would be really interesting!! If you wanted to test it.

M F

kyuss
12-20-2009, 12:57 AM
If you are eating
poppy pod flour
I'd say the alkaloids
could remain in fat
from 6 to 14 days

Chemical_Boy
12-20-2009, 01:42 AM
Am I fucking hallucinating? Kyuss? Is that really you posting bud?

Fuck'n a... been a long time bro...

GOLD N DIEMONDS
12-20-2009, 03:10 AM
If you are eating
poppy pod flour
I'd say the alkaloids
could remain in fat
from 6 to 14 days

Yes so nice to see you words of wisdom.
Hope you stay for a bit!!!

Indy
12-20-2009, 03:52 AM
Seriously wtf I haven't seen Kyuss post in like...2 years?

Paregoric Kid
12-20-2009, 03:54 AM
use the poppy seed defense!

existential_apathy
12-20-2009, 04:34 AM
If you are eating
poppy pod flour
I'd say the alkaloids
could remain in fat
from 6 to 14 days

What do you mean by "flour"? And I thought that because opiates were water soluble and not fat soluble that they didn't attach to fat cells: they were just pissed straight out.

More Feen
12-20-2009, 07:46 AM
What do you mean by "flour"? And I thought that because opiates were water soluble and not fat soluble that they didn't attach to fat cells: they were just pissed straight out.

I agree with you, the metabolites tested for in the "OPI" antibody urinalyses (dip stick) are for those of morphine--generally considered water-soluable.

Kyuss is correct that fat-soluable drugs are detectable for a longer time due to body fat absorbing these fat-loving drugs & their fat-soluable metabolites (THC & valium fit this category).

I think the only chemicals in poppy tea that can be detected in the typical UA multi-panel dipstick tests are morphine & codeine (codeine because ~30% of it is changed to morphine). These are water-soluable and should clear the system in about 5 days.

I might be 100% wrong, but the characteristics of eating poppy-pod flour might "resemble" the effects of a fat-soluable drug, but would more-accurately be described as a TIME RELEASE form of morphine, codeine, thebaine, etc.....

Because morphine in the eaten poppy flour is released slowly, over a longer period, than just drinking pod tea (in which the morphine has already been extracted--like "immediate release"), a person will likely show positive UAs for a longer period of time, all other factors being equal (dose, metabolism, etc...).

Please correct me or add more to this info if I'm not right.

M F

jacky
12-22-2009, 08:46 AM
if a smidgen of poppy seeds will test you dirty.....I imagine a small amount of pod dust would be even more likely....

it takes a seriously small amount of poppy seeds to test one dirty.......

Narkotikon
12-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Pod tea is morphine and codeine, but it's also essentially opium. It's closer to opium than morphine in terms of half-life. That's what you're concerned with here: half-life.

For pharm, plain, regular morphine, 3-5 days should suffice.

For pods, I'd give it twice that amount 6-10 days.

And no, the dust won't hurt you, unless there's just tons of it around and you and your apartment / things are literally "dusty" with it. But the dust produced by grinding pods in a blender? I wouldn't worry about that.

Also, if you've been eating the grounds, instead of just drinking tea, that will prolong the effects because it's a longer / steadier high. That may also play a part in detection periods, meaning longer detection periods.

Generally, though, when you test positive for pod tea you'll test positive for morphine, codeine, and possibly some of the semi-synthetics that are derived from thebaine (oxy, etc.). You won't test for heroin b/c you won't have the 6-MAM in there.

But, it really doesn't make a difference unless you're a pain patient and are only supposed to be on one of those. But say it's for probation or a methadone clinic or whatever, any one would be bad. Most likely you'll lest for morphine and codeine if anything.

existential_apathy
12-24-2009, 07:34 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear for this, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any first hand experience of drug tests specifically with poppy pod tea.

alowishus
12-24-2009, 08:01 PM
Dude, enough w/ fucking about - STOP NOW!!
Why the fuck would you even risk waiting until 5 days before to try and HOPE you drop clean?
It must be for something important so why take the chance, you aint addicted, right? ;)

So stop now and have to worries or doubts.

I mean, was this genetic engineering? The health car bill or Iran?

You knew what you needed to do and didn't want to do it, and just hopped someone could make you feel better about using up until the UA date.

And BTW, I dropped dirty after 10 days of no use, food for thought.

And also if you drop dirty they send it to a GSMS - then they know w/ no any question just what anything AND everything you've put in your body.+
But wait until the last minute.

existential_apathy
12-24-2009, 08:52 PM
Dude, enough w/ fucking about - STOP NOW!!
Why the fuck would you even risk waiting until 5 days before to try and HOPE you drop clean?
It must be for something important so why take the chance, you aint addicted, right? ;)

So stop now and have to worries or doubts.

I mean, was this genetic engineering? The health car bill or Iran?

You knew what you needed to do and didn't want to do it, and just hopped someone could make you feel better about using up until the UA date.

And BTW, I dropped dirty after 10 days of no use, food for thought.

And also if you drop dirty they send it to a GSMS - then they know w/ no any question just what anything AND everything you've put in your body.+
But wait until the last minute.

Woah, chill man. The test deadline isn't until January 8th, and I plan on getting high today and tomorrow and then spend the rest of the time clean. I just wanted to hear some possible personal stories for comfirmation.

And it's an employee pre-screening. If I don't get the job, no big deal.

Paregoric Kid
12-24-2009, 09:39 PM
they can't prove you didn't just eat legal poppy seeds, same alkaloids and metabolites.

Narkotikon
12-24-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm pretty sure I'm in the clear for this, but I'd love to hear if anyone has any first hand experience of drug tests specifically with poppy pod tea.

Yes, the first month and a half - two months I was at the methadone clinic I was at in Lexington, KY, I would still use pods. Each week they said I tested for morphine. Not heroin, morphine.

I happen to know that that clinic also specifically tested for oxycodone, because most of the patients there were for oxy, not heroin or morphine being Kentucky and all (there's just not as big of a heroin problem in Lexington / Kentucky as there is pharms / oxy).

I'd wager that's why I didn't test for oxy: either because they did a more detailed test to show the thebaine that was in my system wasn't oxy; and because I hadn't taken any oxy.

But, yeah, I think Alow is right. You are pushing it a bit. And don't be so mad at him....Alow's just trying to be protective of you. He did it with me to a long long time ago in 2006, when I first joined, because he was / is a big pod head too. But, alas, I started heavy into pods in 2004, so it was already too late for me.

He just doesn't like it when new people start on pods and think it's no big deal (not that you're doing that), or not taking it seriously b/c they don't view it as a real drug. Believe us: pods are real.

Not saying you're doing that either. I"m just saying Alow is really touchy on the subject of pods, probably b/c they've ruined his life just like mine, and he doesn't want to see that happen to someone else.

As for what PK said, I think they raised the ng/ml levels on morphine from like 200-300 ng/ml to 1000-2000 ng/ml a while ago. I forget the exact specifics, and I'm sure it depends on which test you'll be given. BUT, I do know they did that to make it harder for someone to say "um, yeah, I had a poppy seed bagel."

Theoretically eating the amount of poppy seeds in food wouldn't be high enough to set off the new detection levels. But, like I said, it probably depends on the test, and I forget the specifics. I just know that some tests have raised the detection levels to prevent people from using that excuse / prevent false positives.

Paregoric Kid
12-25-2009, 02:51 AM
the mythbusters got positive results even with newer tests I think. some eastern European and Indian recipes call for A LOT of poppy seed. and since poppy seed is a legal product you are legally aloud to eat as many as you want.

Narkotikon
12-25-2009, 11:34 AM
the mythbusters got positive results even with newer tests I think. some eastern European and Indian recipes call for A LOT of poppy seed. and since poppy seed is a legal product you are legally aloud to eat as many as you want.

True, some Polish and Indian breads / pastries especially. I didn't think of that. So, yes, you're right, it's best to be careful either way / you could use that as a plausible excuse.

GOLD N DIEMONDS
12-25-2009, 11:45 AM
True, some Polish and Indian breads / pastries especially. I didn't think of that. So, yes, you're right, it's best to be careful either way / you could use that as a plausible excuse.

Yeah that just the thing though , sure it's a good excuse. But being this is for a pre-employment job testing. Well I doubt the employer is looking for EXCUSES. Hence -no job.
Sorry but that the real world, with unemployment at record high levels. There are more than plenty of people to pick from with out excuses.

Narkotikon
12-25-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah that just the thing though , sure it's a good excuse. But being this is for a pre-employment job testing. Well I doubt the employer is looking for EXCUSES. Hence -no job.
Sorry but that the real world, with unemployment at record high levels. There are more than plenty of people to pick from with out excuses.

You're absolutely right. Since this is for an employment screening, I would make sure to be absolutely negative on everything. They don't need or want to hear excuses. It's easier for them to just choose someone else.

I was mainly just talking / agreeing with PK in theory though.

The only thing I wouldn't worry for for a job screening is Suboxone (because I doubt employers test for that...methadone is a different story possibly), and of course any prescription meds that you're currently prescribed and taking. Having a year-old bottle of Ativan, for instance, and trying to pass that off would be sketchy though I would think. Even though you were scripted it, it was a year ago.

More Feen
12-26-2009, 02:36 AM
Some of the OPI antibody dipstick tests will have a positive result at 300ng of morphine metabolite.

Because poppy seeds ARE legal, other OPI tests (called OPI 2000) have the cut-off point at 2000ng of morphine metabolite.

They figure that if you still pop positive (have more than 2000ng) that you are doing something besides eating poppy seeds.

It IS a bullshit, arbitrary number, but they DO allow for SOME morphine in one's diet.

I'm told that a person would have to eat ~100 poppy seed bagels (in one day) to exceed the 2000ng limit. Keep this in mind if you plan to use the PS-bagel defence :)

M F

The Paregoric Man
12-29-2009, 04:44 AM
I'm told that a person would have to eat ~100 poppy seed bagels (in one day) to exceed the 2000ng limit. Keep this in mind if you plan to use the PS-bagel defence :)

M F

That depends entirely on how much opium residue is on the seeds you're consuming. And the show Mythbusters actually did test it by having someone eat 2-3? poppy seed bagels and he tested positive for morphine on all the dipstick tests they ran.

Paregoric Kid
12-29-2009, 12:50 PM
yeah plus cakes and pastries use WAY more seed than bagels.

The determination of morphine in urine and oral fluid
following ingestion of poppy seeds
by
Rohrig TP, Moore C.
Sedgwick County Regional Forensic Science Center,
1109 N. Minneapolis, Wichita, Kansas 67214-3129, USA.
trohrig@sedgwick.gov
J Anal Toxicol. 2003 Oct;27(7):449-52

ABSTRACT

In workplace drug-testing programs, the use of heroin, morphine, and codeine is currently determined by the analysis of urine specimens. It has been shown that ingestion of poppy seeds can cause a positive test result for morphine. In an attempt to differentiate positive results caused by poppy seed ingestion from those caused by heroin or morphine abuse, the screening cutoff concentration for urine opiates in the federal workplace drug-testing program was raised to 2000 ng/mL from 300 ng/mL. Currently, oral fluid is under consideration as a possible alternative to urine for drug testing. The suggested cutoff for oral fluid morphine is 40 ng/mL; however, the effect of poppy seed ingestion on morphine concentrations in this specimen type has not been widely investigated. Volunteers at two separate sites ingested commercially available poppy seeds and/or poppy seed bagels. Oral fluid and urine samples were collected at both sites. Oral fluid samples were collected for 24 h; urine was collected for 2 days. The samples were analyzed for the presence of codeine and morphine using gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. Morphine concentrations greater than the suggested cutoff concentrations were detected in oral fluid up to 1 h and in urine for up to 8 h. This study has demonstrated that a positive result for morphine in oral fluid may be due to the ingestion of poppy seeds.
Mythbusters Poppy Seed Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMqQLgw7Uz4