PDA

View Full Version : Is Opana The Worst Pill For Nasal Use?

digby
11-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I have been wondering of late if perhaps Opana IR was in fact one of the worst pills to insuffilate due to the sugar/starch combination that seems to overwhelm all of the other inactive ingredients.

Sugar encourages the growth of fungus, bacteria and sinus infections. Since the taste of tablets is definitely sweet, wouldn't prolonged use almost guarantee long term sinus problems? Just a thought.

Ickyuck
11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
*looks for port rhombus*

duck
11-23-2009, 10:51 PM
I've never tried Opana, always wished I could. I would snort it for sure.

Dig- how do you compare it to snorting an OxyContin? What's specifically different about it?

Ickyuck
11-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Duck, the rush is intense. It hits you faster, and leaves you quicker. I literally feel it hit me when I do it.

duck
11-23-2009, 11:49 PM
is the powder as bad as dig says? Snorting wise?

MEKONE
11-24-2009, 12:17 AM
I've been using this method with the IR's for quite some time now(> a year) and just recently started with the "Spray Bottle" method,thankfully no problems so far.As for the "Rush" Icky is right.

Tony
11-24-2009, 12:21 AM
is the powder as bad as dig says? Snorting wise?

Yes. At least with the 5MG IR's. I can't speak about the others....They are sweet though....

port rhombus
11-24-2009, 12:53 AM
I have no experience with Opana IR, but the lower potency ER tablets do contain a disproportionate amount of active ingredient to filler. The 10, 15, and 20 mg ER tablets are all the same size. I've never seen the larger ones...

I spent 1+ years blowing a few ERs per day with no serious adverse effects, or at least none that I'm aware of; who knows what my lungs look like now. Putting all that crap up my nose would cause my nasal mucosa to swell, which I'd treat with oxymetazoline (which should only be used occasionally to avoid rebound congestion) and/or mometasone (Nasonex) nasal spray.

Opana is simple to prep for insufflation and quite potent.

Thankfully, I got bored with it. I decided I'd rather be pain-free-ish, not fucking with my tolerance, and not in a panic towards the end of each month, trying to figure out how to maintain until my next refill.

FWIW, the inside of my nose was a wreck, the result of chronic sinus infections and a bicycle accident, before I ever insufflated a pill. I have a perforated and badly deviated septum. As far as I can tell, the Opana didn't make it any worse.

Synack
12-02-2009, 11:40 AM
well, I had snorted both IR's and ER's for about 14 months - had a doc look into my nose - and he didn't say anything or note anything in my records other than having an insanely small nasal passage on the left side. Suggested I get surgery via an ENT to help with breathing issues.

Shadowsblaze
12-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Definitly clean nasal cavity about 30 min to an hour after with purified water. This is a necessity and will really improve absorbtion of pills, especially if you do alot.

blaze1
12-04-2009, 05:55 AM
I have been wondering of late if perhaps Opana IR was in fact one of the worst pills to insuffilate due to the sugar/starch combination that seems to overwhelm all of the other inactive ingredients.

Sugar encourages the growth of fungus, bacteria and sinus infections. Since the taste of tablets is definitely sweet, wouldn't prolonged use almost guarantee long term sinus problems? Just a thought.

Even if it is horrible for your nose it can't be any worse than snorting anything else, plus when swim gets my opanas er's 40mg I usually snort the whole pill yellow coating and all because when you get em wet they get mushy on the outside and using a hoseclamp will just turn it into bunch of little rocks that suck trying to snort and if you try to scrape it you will most likely break the pill or pull a chunk off with the coating sory for spell errors and rambling I just got done smoking some gel out of a 100 mcg patch:p

Shadowsblaze
12-04-2009, 07:28 AM
Nice breakfast, personally I feel as long as you get all the crap out you'll be Ok, just don't start using epinephrine to open passages cause you'll get screwed in a short time addicted and not be able to breathe through your nose without it. Next the infections big time. You'll be suffucating in your sleep, when you can sleep.

Restharrow
12-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Even if it is horrible for your nose it can't be any worse than snorting anything else, plus when swim gets my opanas er's 40mg I usually snort the whole pill yellow coating and all because when you get em wet they get mushy on the outside and using a hoseclamp will just turn it into bunch of little rocks that suck trying to snort and if you try to scrape it you will most likely break the pill or pull a chunk off with the coating sory for spell errors and rambling I just got done smoking some gel out of a 100 mcg patch:p
The outer coating on Opana ER looks like plastic. I don't see how someone could snort that witout it being painful.

TigerFan
12-04-2009, 03:55 PM
Tried 40 mg opana ER (octagon looking pill) and it snorted just like all others do. Just shave off the coating, like an OC ad it tastes the same.

Opana is the ONE pharm that is actually comparable to H. It's pretty strong and packs quite a punch!

digby
12-04-2009, 07:10 PM
Even if it is horrible for your nose it can't be any worse than snorting anything else, :p

The main reason I posted this thread is that I'm not entirely sure that is true. Some pills are worse than others to rail because they contain different harmful inactives, mostly of the kind that eat away at the sinus/nasal membranes with consistent long term use. Coke is renowned for this and is for this reason considered worse than certain other substances to snort.

It just seems that Opana IR are the only pills I am aware of that have some type of sugar in its inactive ingredients. If you were to grind up dilaudid or oxy, you would be left with a bitter powder that to my mind wouldn't seem to encourage the growth of either bacteria, mold or fungus. Opana, on the other hand, seems more like the "desert" of the opioid pills in the abundant amount of fillers it contains, much of which is sweet and conducive to growing "yucky" stuff in one's sinuses.

Since the best ROA for this drug is definitely snorting or IVing, I was just thinking that some kind of sinus maintenence might be a plus for this particular drug if my worries are based in reality.

OverDriven
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
The main reason I posted this thread is that I'm not entirely sure that is true. Some pills are worse than others to rail because they contain different harmful inactives, mostly of the kind that eat away at the sinus/nasal membranes with consistent long term use. Coke is renowned for this and is for this reason considered worse than certain other substances to snort.

It just seems that Opana IR are the only pills I am aware of that have some type of sugar in its inactive ingredients. If you were to grind up dilaudid or oxy, you would be left with a bitter powder that to my mind wouldn't seem to encourage the growth of either bacteria, mold or fungus. Opana, on the other hand, seems more like the "desert" of the opioid pills in the abundant amount of fillers it contains, much of which is sweet and conducive to growing "yucky" stuff in one's sinuses.

Since the best ROA for this drug is definitely snorting or IVing, I was just thinking that some kind of sinus maintenence might be a plus for this particular drug if my worries are based in reality.

Coke does that because it is a powerful vasoconstrictor (it severely shrinks the diameter of blood vessels). When you snort it, the tiny blood vessels in your nose become so small that blood flow to some of the tissue actually stops. No blood to the tissue = the tissue dies. It is extremely rare to find a drug with this property to such an extreme.

Opiates do NOT cause cessation of blood flow to the nose when snorted. The fillers don't either, and although it is bad for your sinuses to constantly snort anything up your nose, it really isn't that dangerous unless you are doing it constantly. In order to be as safe as possible, don't inhale like a fucking vacuum cleaner. Snort it enough to get the powder up there, but snorting very hard will push particles up into the sinuses. This can cause a sinus infection, and that is extremely painful. And no...sugar up the nose isn't going to promote bacterial infection in the nose any more than other inert powders, and your body naturally cleanses it from your nasal cavity very quickly with mucous. It should be noted that if you are taking intranasal drugs, you should stay well hydrated so that your nasal cavity is able to cleanse itself. That means at least 2 liters of water a day, and 3-4 is ideal.

digby
12-05-2009, 12:11 AM
Yeh, probably way too paranoid over nothing. It was especially comforting to find the following little tidbit of information.

The principal behind bacteria not growing in this type of environment is actually one of the common food preservation techniques that have been used for centuries, even though people may not have known how they were actually preserving the food. The reason for most bacteria's inability to grow in a high sugar environment is the same as the reason for their inability to grow in high salt environments.

Both sugar and salt bind up the water and thus makes the water unavailable to the bacteria to use. In essence, while the environment may seem like it has a lot of water in it, most of the water is tied up by the salt or sugar. Bacteria require a certain amount of "available" water to survive and grow. Spoilage of jams and jellies is usually due to molds and not bacteria because of the high sugar content. Molds do not require as much water for growth and survival as most bacteria.

Sooooo, bacteria isn't a problem because of the sugar and with minimal care, mold shouldn't be bad either.
As far as other negative inactive fillers, Opana IR is one of the very best pills on the market, so all is good.

Stonnewolf
12-31-2009, 09:01 AM
ive only done an IR one time, but i can get ERs all the time.. the er's take a while to hit you, and they last a while.

mess4opana
12-31-2009, 03:46 PM
personally - it aggravates the hell outta my asthma, so snorting it is not good for me.
i find the ER's are even worse for my asthma.
i am more careful to snort small lines, make sure they stay on my membranes instead of into my lungs. space them out over time - i dont want to waste it!

ive debated whether or not the powder that you inhale into the lungs when inhaling any pill binder/fillers can cause more serious damage.

from what i understand there is a lot of silica in opana, and that is close to sand?
and then if you inhale a lot of opana dust - you could over time cause lung damage similar to someone who works where they are grinding stones,
or other lung effects like cancers, emphysema, mesothelioma ect.

opana hasnt been around long enpugh for us to have a complete picture of the long term negative consequences of abusing it.

i have heard that there is development underway for a 'nasal spray' for oxymorphone. it would make a lot more sense because bioavailibility sucks. nasal bioavailibiliy is better - and can be really good if you eat a really fatty meal, or even drink a lot of whole milk and possibly even throw in some benadryl or vistarel beforehand.

i think if you maximize nasal absorbtion, at the most iv bioavailibity would increase by double, but i think its more like a 25% increase. the difference is the rush obviously.

so in my opinion opana isnt the worse pill to snort - most are equally BAD
but it feels like it could kill me - asthmatic reaction + respiratory depression= death
but it all COULD kill me in the right dose (wrong dose?)

digby
12-31-2009, 06:58 PM
I don't believe that the silica in pills is the same as that used in industry. If that were the case, then none of the silica would dissolve and the sharp edges on the particles would certainly do some damage in the digestive system from abrasive action even if taken correctly by mouth. Since all evidence seems to contradict that happening, I believe we are dealing with a different and less damaging composition in pill silica/silicates.

Also, while the ER version of Opana contains some of the nastier inactives, the IR version is one of the cleanest pills available, with only the large quantity of starch being the proverbial "fly in the ointment".

eukodalic
12-31-2009, 07:25 PM
I don't believe that the silica in pills is the same as that used in industry. If that were the case, then none of the silica would dissolve and the sharp edges on the particles would certainly do some damage in the digestive system from abrasive action even if taken correctly by mouth. Since all evidence seems to contradict that happening, I believe we are dealing with a different and less damaging composition in pill silica/silicates.

Also, while the ER version of Opana contains some of the nastier inactives, the IR version is one of the cleanest pills available, with only the large quantity of starch being the proverbial "fly in the ointment".

Thanks dig- for starting this interesting discussion on Opana...all the posts helped me know more about one of the meds that's currently prescribed to me. I think you are right about pharm-grade silicates being a "different animal" than the industrial-app silicas...that has got to be true.

<<<Oh by the way-- whaddayathink about my new avatar? :) Recognize it? I guessing some of our members have never seen a pic of the 10 mg/ IR oxymorphones. Strange pink hue...I've gotta get a copy of that old movie Drugstore Cowboys and see about the Numorphone, or "blues" that the guys have a penchant for in the story...and Happy New Year to all the members, too! ;)

Peace! euko / out

OxyMainiac
01-03-2010, 08:05 PM
I had the Opana 40's for a while and snorting them was a pain. You end up with the biggest glob of boogers in your life. I cant compare the difference between opana and OC since my tollerance is so massive but the only thing I noticed with the Opanas is that they had an aweful side effect which the OC didnt have. They made me sweat like crazy. I was sweating so bad at night from the Opanas I would have to change my sheets at night almost every night or sleep on a towel to absorb the moisture. Anyone else had this side effect?

austinslacker
01-03-2010, 10:25 PM
If you are able to remove all the color coating as I am with 91% alcohol, you are free to enjoy the great feeling of Opana ER 40mg. Closest to heroin IMO. No goo, gritties, only white powder with no bitter taste, ready to insufflate.

Peace

Synack
01-04-2010, 12:58 AM
I had the Opana 40's for a while and snorting them was a pain. You end up with the biggest glob of boogers in your life. I cant compare the difference between opana and OC since my tollerance is so massive but the only thing I noticed with the Opanas is that they had an aweful side effect which the OC didnt have. They made me sweat like crazy. I was sweating so bad at night from the Opanas I would have to change my sheets at night almost every night or sleep on a towel to absorb the moisture. Anyone else had this side effect?

My wife changes the bedsheets up to twice a week because of this, even if I sleep on a towel. Plus, sometimes I'm really sedated (and other times, wide awake) - but I literally stay supine all night - during my sleep studies, they even noted that it's unusual that I don't move an inch throughout the night until I wake up - I sleep with my ankles crossed, pillow over my face leaving only my mouth exposed, my arms above my head, wrists crossed... and oddly, it's the only way I get half decent sleep.

As far as removing the coating, you could use a high alcohol content wipe, or a razor - but I crush the hell out of the pill with the coating on, filter the powder apart from the chunks using a fine tooth comb, then save the chunks. When I'm in w/d - those chunks are a god send, and I really don't notice too much missing from the pill when I first take it...

Restharrow
01-04-2010, 12:36 PM
I have to sleep on a towel and usually change underwear or pajamas 1 time each night -- but it was the same with Oxy and with the (compounded) Hydro when the Hydro dose got over 150 mg. per day.

My new pain doctor realized the old dr. was scripting on 28 day cycles, so she decided I could go 5 weeks between re-fills this time. I am on 3/8th rations now and the sweating is worse with the WD. The one time I ran out for one day, WD was horrible. I gasped for breath for hours and wife almost called 911.

This is strong stuff.

Will

digby
01-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I'm starting to think that the reason oxymorphone disappeared in the 70's wasn't due so much to addicts abusing them through IV use but rather because of a combination of abuse coupled with the high set of side effects that comes with this opioid. Nausea and sweating occurs much for frequently with oxymorphone than any of the other opioids. I think that is why even though ampules of the stuff have remained available continuously since the 70's, you seldom see this drug used instead of morphine, dilaudid or fent as a hospital IV.

Opiofreq
01-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I love Opana's but I've noticed a weird side effect that hard to explain.

After using them for a few days they begin to give me this weird paranoid edge with anxiety.

The only way I can explain it is its similar to the anxiety from cocaine or negative psychedelic trips.

Who knows.

If I use them only one day and stop ,it doesnt happen.

2DollaHolla
01-11-2010, 12:01 AM
To get the coating off (Opana, Oxy, or any other pill) I simply put it in my mouth for about 20-30 seconds and then use a sock or old t shirt to wipe off the coating. It does stain so don't use anything meaningful to you. You don't need to suck on it very long since you can use your nail along with the shirt to scrape off the coating safely regardless.

sofitel
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
@ Opiofreq,

Everybody's brain chemistry works differently. One time I was at my sisters house and she was in pain after twisting her ankle hiking that day. I gave her a few 50mg Tramadols and she went into a full-blown panic attack hyperventilating and shit. And she doesn't take any other meds. Freaked the shit out of me and I felt terrible. But her brain just didn't like tramadol.

From that point on, whenever I am scripted something new, I always take a much reduced dose just to see how it hits me.