PDA

View Full Version : Clonidine Patch or Pills?

oxy kid
10-04-2009, 03:25 PM
Doc asked what would I prefer? Is either/or any better?

Has anybody had any experience with the patches?

jo-jo
10-04-2009, 03:50 PM
I've never heard of the patches but I've had the pills. I suppose that if you're having trouble keeping anything down then the patches would be a good idea. Luckily, I don't have vomiting (knock on wood!) when I'm in w/d's.

oxy kid
10-04-2009, 04:06 PM
No problems vomiting or anything, I was just wondering if there were any advantages to using the patch over taking the pill (wow, sounds like birth control). I have to opportunity to have either, so I'm just trying to figure out what the best is.

barbiegal
10-04-2009, 04:07 PM
I prefer the patch although i had a horrible skin reaction to it. My arm (at the patch site) got very itchy, red and inflamed. The pills work too though, I just preferred the patch at the time.

EleusisII
10-04-2009, 04:20 PM
Never had either of them... Does that shit really help on wds? And more to the point: Which one of the symptoms does it specifically help with?

port rhombus
10-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Never had either of them... Does that shit really help on wds? And more to the point: Which one of the symptoms does it specifically help with?

It's supposed to address sympathetic nervous system dysfunction; sweating, blood pressure, etc. It's sedating, too, but I don't know to what degree it would actually help with w/d insomnia.

I haven't tired clonidine, but I've tried another alpha-2 adrenergic agonist, tizanidine, which did approximately nothing for me. It was a long time ago and I only tried withdrawing for a day before I gave in, so who knows.

JonnyM
10-04-2009, 04:59 PM
Some people swear by it, it supposedly helps with the cold sweats and shivering a lot... then again I have never got the chance to use it in withdrawal, So I don't really know.

LongKissGoodNite
10-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Yea its hard to tell if its working when you feel like you ate 6 xanax bars. That shit weighs me down like you wouldn't believe. If you're gonna take that shit make sure you start way waaay slow.

hovadagod
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Does it stop the RLS?

HandMeSomeOpiates
10-04-2009, 05:45 PM
Yes clonodine helps immensely with W/D's. Mainly insomnia, RLS, sweats, anxiety, and of course blood-pressure. Definitely a great addition to the W/D kit.

God_Albino
10-04-2009, 05:55 PM
to anyone using it for the first time, be careful; i've taken too much or had really bad rebound blood pressure (ie standing up, my ears sounded like they were made of brass, felt like heart exploding, stroking out with every step), had to go to er (i wasnt in w/ds, it helps come down from psychotic breaks or bad trips too).

it didnt help with sleep the two nights/days i took it while cold turkeying, but i didn't puke and couldn't shit at all, and the chills werent as bad as they normally get even 8 hours without a shot. pills worked fine, but yeah i didn't puke. so yeah, i think it helps

chopstix
10-04-2009, 07:03 PM

YES, it does help, and it's good to know about, as it's easier to get than about anything that helps as much, at least here in the US..

Helps with overall anxiety, hot/cold flashes, blood pressure & heart rate, sweats.. Helps with a lot.

Dosage is key - I'd start with HALF of a 1mg tab, and work up by .5mg from there - start feeling lightheaded or like your blood pressure is low and you've had too much; it's a blood pressure med and being dopesick with really low blood-pressure sucks ass, everytime you stand up you headrush out and feel like you're gonna fall over. No fun.

Clonidine is the only drug I've been able to get in jail for wd, and it's common in detox and in prescribed "kick kits." It works on the primary part of your brain that is affected by dope and dopesickness, the hypothalamus, which regulates blood pressure, body temp, certain CNS functions like anxiety and "fight-or-flight" anxiety and panic type responses..

To me it's extremely useful in WD, but you have to be careful and not take too much. I've used it with some success to help sleep too..

I'd consider clonidine, benzos and loperamide to be probably the three most helpful drugs for wd that I've ever known, aside from obvious shit like unlimited seconal or GHB or something..

And yeah, don't take it around the clock because you can rebound hard from it.

Oh and I meant to say PILLS not patches, clonidine is definitely something you want to wear off soon if you decide you don't want it anymore.. I'd imagine the patches wear off a lot slower.

hydro chris
10-04-2009, 07:24 PM
i have used the pills during w/d, they work well as everyone mention. i mostly only took
them to get some sleep but, they would only last it seamed for like 3 to 4 hours.
i used to wake up with this sorta numb feeling throughout my body for the first couple minutes.
which wasnt a bad feelin at all. sorry never tried the patches tho.

achybones
10-04-2009, 08:14 PM
I am a CP patient, Since long before I have been on opiates I have been prescribed clonidine for hypertension (high blood pressure). The brand name is Catapres and I am prescribed 0.2 mg 2x/day, I wonder if it would still help me if I were to go into WD? Thankfully I have not, but sometimes I have to cut way back on my dosage of pain meds to make it last for the month. In those instances, besides the horrific pain, I feel slight WDs including bad cold sweats accompanied by the chills. I hope I never have to go through it full-blown as it I fear that the usefulness of clonidine will be lost on me as I have been using it daily for 5+ years

EleusisII
10-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I fear that the usefulness of clonidine will be lost on me as I have been using it daily for 5+ years

Heh, honestly I really doubt that clonidine is so effective that "losing its usefulness" is something to be even remotely worried about.

I've never tried it, but I always figured that it was sort of a "Here you go, now beat it junkie" kinda drug.

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 10:47 AM
So, I have 4 patches sitting here. Are they basically useless to me?

I'm sure I can get another script for the pills, I just dont' know what to do with these patches. Should I put one on right now and see how things go? Or just leave them alone?

I am using them purely for w/ds.

The patches are .1 a day and you wear them for a week. The pills are just the .1 tablets. So from here on out it seems like I should get the pills, but I want to get some use out of the patches. Since its spread out over time, could I put one on now and see if it helps me throughout the day. I havn't' had anything since thursday other than comfort meds (benz(kpins and xannies), somas, weed, alcohol, adderall, loperamide and now I have this clonidine sitting here.

Advice?

I just want some clean time. I have access to enough opis to keep high and keep from being sick because of lowered my tolerance, but I just want to be able to go though the day without meds. I want clean time.

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I did a quick done taper after a longgggggg sub maintinance "program" and I am so thankful that I did. I'm in complete mild wds and I'm hoping they'll be gone soon. Thursday morning was my last dose....had to take a piece of IR morph friday aftrenoon so wouldn't look stick in front of fam.

HELP! Give me advice!!!!! What should I expect, what should I do, etc.?

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 11:06 AM
By the way, Just want to give an update on how I feel and what not.

Little yawning, tears a little, but not really any bad wds.

350mgs soma
1mg kpin
10mgs loperamide
10mg toradol

How much and how often should I take the loperaimide? I'm going to UTFSE right now, but there is always with somebody that can put in some awesome input.

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 11:53 AM
I'm hot one minute, cold the next. Would the clonidine help that? I'm just trying to decide to throw this patch on or what. I was thinking with the patch, the small amounts throughout the day, it would keep me feeling be best instead of temp. relief from the tabs.

Are the patches even worth me putting on?

And thanks guys for helping me through this. 4 days, no opis at all. pretty pumped. Any advice or anything would be greatly appreciated.

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Well just woke up from a little nap...that was nice. Just been laying around in the bed all day watching tv and movies.

Not really hurting too bad. I really dont' understand why things are worse than they are.

I still don't know what to do with these patches. In my theory, it seems like the small constant dose would be beneficial all day and night, instead of wearing off. I have the pill too. They are the smallest dose, .1, so I'm not worried about taking too much. Please somebody give me some input on what to do with these patches!!!

And also, I put in an earlier post, how much and how ofter do I need to be taking the loperamide?

hydro chris
10-05-2009, 04:55 PM
i would just take the pills. theyll really help you relax some

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
i would just take the pills. theyll really help you relax some

At night, now, when? What do you think would be the best? I wish I wouldn't have volunteered for these damn patches.

hydro chris
10-05-2009, 06:14 PM
depends, on how i would be feeling, they sedate me pretty well,i also build a little tolerances up with them..
seem like the first couple time i take them they work pretty well than i have to increase the dose. they also help me sleep really well but, i find that they only last about 4 hours even tho there still workin after 4 hours they dont seem to help me with w/d so id be careful if you redose. even after 24 hour i find my bp is still low so be careful man. imo i think they help we anxiety, rls, and other shit. i also think that clonidine also has their own hangover symptom which can make w/d fell worse then they really are. even if you take a half i bet youll feel it, then go from there..goodluck man take it easy.

oxy kid
10-05-2009, 06:36 PM
Clonidine has a tendency to make me drowsy, so lets say theoretically I had to do something that would require me to be awake and alert, would it not make more sense to have the patch on? I would much rather just be able to take the pills, but I really want to get some kind of use out of these patches, its its worth it. If they are crap, I'll rip this one off my arm that I put on 20mins ago, and just get tabs if possible.

from wiki...

"Clonidine is increasingly used in conjunction with stimulants to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD)), for which it is administered in late afternoon or evening for sleep..."

So, does this mean your adderall/ritialin/whatever else raises your blood pressure and this gets it back down? I'm perscribed adderall, thats why I was wondering.

Just in the last 45mins-hour, I've been having a lot of the cold/hot, cold/hot, not being able to get situated feeling. I thought the clonidine might be able to help with that. So right now I have on a .1 patch that lasts a week. I'm just trying to get the most use out of what I have.

Also, should I take and extra careful when taking kpins to also help me with the anxiety and rls? They have been a lifesaver.

I don't remember who said this, but loperamide, benzos, and clonidine are life savers with w/ds.