PDA

View Full Version : Test telling the difference between Percocet, Oxycontin, and Roxicodone??

krinkov
07-14-2009, 12:47 AM
I friend of mine is completely convinced that his doctor's drug test will tell the difference between Percocet, Oxycontin, and oxycodone (Roxicodone). I told him his doctor is full of shit. (doctor told him he could tell the difference.) The doctor does check actual drug levels and not just the presence of the drug. I don't know if this matters or not. So, is the doctor full of shit, or is he telling the truth?? I don't want the guy to lose his free ride over something dumb.

Thanks!
Krinkov!@!

youwonhundred
07-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Just a guess here, but as far as i know, oxycodone is oxycodone is oxycodone. the doc probably is full of shit.

(I could be wrong, but I don't think so)

JonnyM
07-14-2009, 01:15 AM
All of the active ingredients are oxycodone hcl. Percocet has acetaminophen (tylenol) in it I believe as well.

He is full of shit. As long as the levels of oxycodone are around the same its impossible to tell the difference. Even if the levels were a little to low or to high I think he would be uncomfortable accusing a patient of abuse, etc. there is just to many factors.

Hope that helps.

chopstix
07-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Full of shit.

krinkov
07-14-2009, 03:36 AM
Full of shit.

That's pretty much what I thought.

BTW, what exactly does "Bit Bucket" mean in you "location"? I thought you lived in California, but what does that have to do with it? I guess I'm just kinda dumb LOL!!

Krinkov

youwonhundred
07-14-2009, 04:38 AM
That's pretty much what I thought.

BTW, what exactly does "Bit Bucket" mean in you "location"? I thought you lived in California, but what does that have to do with it? I guess I'm just kinda dumb LOL!!

Krinkov

Computer data is made up of bits, 8 of which make up a byte, 1024 of which make up a kilobyte, 1024 of which make up a megabyte.. You get the picture? Data that doesn't end up where its supposed to is in the bit bucket. Kind of a trash can for lost ones and zeroes. I suppose you could always www.justfuckinggoogleit.com but the simplest answer is... lost?

Unless mistah stix has some uber mystical answer that has nothing to do with any of the above, that is.

Cherry's Jubilee
07-14-2009, 05:45 AM
yep full of shit. levels don't mean shit either because people have vastly different metabolisms. you and i could take the same dose tonight and have completely different levels in the am. when they talk about "levels" it's a fear tactic. get a doctor who isn't an arrogant prick that fucks with your head.

Synack
07-14-2009, 12:53 PM
It's mostly bullshit, Although most patients on an ER/CR/SR, etc. medication will establish an average serum level for their dose, IR meds will throw that out of whack when dosed but for ex: if I was on only controlled release oxycodone, then at some point if I kept my dosing schedule normal, I'd have a set range of serum levels - they could check that numerous times, and get an average - then if I showed up with a level much lower than that, they'd know I could be taking my meds faster than I should.

There are way too many variables for this type of testing to be used clinically, to be used to prove a patient is abusing/diverting their medication...

So yeah, a scare tactic.

taj
07-14-2009, 01:31 PM
ya, that was a rumor going around my town as well. As everyone else has said, I think his doc is full of crap...

Sinderella
07-14-2009, 09:13 PM
as a nurse who works in a doctors office where we do lots of drug screens(I work for a suboxone doctor) I can tell you with all certainity(sp?) that the tests EVEN the GC/MS test can NOT tell percocet from oxycontin to roxicodone..... As the second poster said OXYCODONE is oxycodone whether its mixed with tylenol,mixed with apap,immediate release or long acting. I mean even if it could pick up the apap in the percocet who is to say you didnt take some otc tylenol??

Tell your friend his doctor is full of shit... and thats as plain and simple as I can get...Its just a scare tactic for someone he is assuming is niave about that sort of thing... He just doesnt realize that the guy has a friend with access to the real experts lol...

hope that helped...

Papa Verine
07-14-2009, 10:20 PM
I guess that doctor is used to dealing with stupid people who don't know any better. Play along... act like you believe everything he tells you. Sometimes It's best to play dumb with doctors... They get off on thinking they're smarter then all their patients. And if they think they're manipulating you, and not the other way around, you'll be much better off.

lotus
07-15-2009, 01:31 AM
as someone else mention'd, i don't think they can tell fuck all from drug levels - just that the drug is in there.

methadone, more tightly control'd in canada than the u.s - at my clinic a guy with full carries had gone back to using and had been selling them for ages. in the week (not even) prior to his doc apt's he'd stop using, take various otc meds, and the morning of his apointments would take ONE dose (120 mgs). he got away with this for ages....till he fucked up and didn't have a dose to take.

anyways - as hardcore as they are about what's in that pee and whats not......one 120mg dose once every 6 weeks and nobody knew the difference.

in my mind it seems like methadone would be a lot easier to check than oxy.

bindegal
07-15-2009, 06:06 AM
Oxycodone is oxycodone.

The "average serum level" thing; In terori feasible, but would be very expensive and difficult to implement.
Very expensive and difficult.