PDA

View Full Version : Filling Scripts Early? (Not Necessarily Narcotics)

limitless_euphoria
06-10-2009, 02:38 PM
OK, here's what I've wondered for a while. I know you can fill your scripts early--to an extent. Well, let's use this month of June as an example.

Say my refill date was Monday June 15. Hypothetically, let's say I have an Rx for benzos plus a couple of other miscellaneous, unscheduled meds. I know there's a limit, esp. if your meds are paid for by insurance, but I'm wondering how far you can stretch it. Could I fill 'em today (June 10)?

Also, does it get cumulative. Let's say you get an early fill by 2 days one month, then you fill it early by 3 days the next--do they eventually say, wait--you can't do this!

Are Schedule IV meds (benzos) treated different from unscheduled meds? Obviously we know narcotics (anything Schedule II or III) cannot be filled early; that's pretty much common knowledge. I tried to fill my Rx for bupe ONE DAY EARLY (my wife went in) and the pharmacist treated her like she was trying to pull a fast one. The truth was, we really were not going to have the time the next day.

So, how does this work? Anyone know the details? I think other people might be curious to know as well. I UTGDSE but no luck finding anything relating to my particular questions.

Mulch
06-10-2009, 03:17 PM
Swim gets Valium scripted to him once and month, and usually always calls in/picks up a few days early(literally a few, 2 days at most). And do this monthly as what you described above. Swim has never once had a problem with swim's Dr., pharmacy, or insurance. For e.g. swim gets a "30 day supply" script and always call in a few days early, "just to be courteous", that way I'm not waiting around on the last day. Important Note: I am responsible with my medicine and have a good relationship with my Dr., but I mean who knows what could happen, these are a few circumstances I've run into and excuses you could use depending on what your getting:

1) Dr. is out that day and can't fill you script
2) Pharmacy could be out of the particular prescription in which you are prescribed
3) You will avoid having to call back the pharm or dr. office (which we all know they hate)
4) Your not leaving it to the last minute, which can cause rushing around for people, and nobody wants to do that:D

This is just swim's experience, and swim is sure it depends on a lot of factors(medical history, doctor's office, pharmacy, etc.)but swim by no means think that's unreasonable. Just swim's 3 cents, hope it helps, and let swim know how it goes:).

Opiofiend
06-10-2009, 03:18 PM
OK, here's what I've wondered for a while. I know you can fill your scripts early--to an extent. Well, let's use this month of June as an example.
Say my refill date was Monday June 15. Hypothetically, let's say I have an Rx for benzos plus a couple of other miscellaneous, unscheduled meds. I know there's a limit, esp. if your meds are paid for by insurance, but I'm wondering how far you can stretch it. Could I fill 'em today (June 10)?
Also, does it get cumulative. Let's say you get an early fill by 2 days one month, then you fill it early by 3 days the next--do they eventually say, wait--you can't do this!
Are Schedule IV meds (benzos) treated different from unscheduled meds? Obviously we know narcotics (anything Schedule II or III) cannot be filled early; that's pretty much common knowledge. I tried to fill my Rx for bupe ONE DAY EARLY (my wife went in) and the pharmacist treated her like she was trying to pull a fast one. The truth was, we really were not going to have the time the next day.
So, how does this work? Anyone know the details? I think other people might be curious to know as well. I UTGDSE but no luck finding anything relating to my particular questions.

Generally the rule is 85% though some chain pharms stick to 90% of the days of supply listed for each script. For example most scrips r for 30 days most pharms will fill around 24.5 days into scrip(85% into 30 days supply), or 5.5 days early. This includes narcos in most cases too. Unless of course u get a ball breaker pharm. Some dicks will make u wait the 90%. Certain insurance restrictions might apply but mine goes by the 85% rule

Mulch
06-10-2009, 03:20 PM
Generally the rule is 85% though some chain pharms stick to 90% of the days of supply listed for each script. For example most scrips r for 30 days most pharms will fill around 24.5 days into scrip(85% into 30 days supply), or 5.5 days early. This includes narcos in most cases too. Unless of course u get a ball breaker pharm. Some dicks will make u wait the 90%. Certain insurance restrictions might apply but mine goes by the 85% rule

Much better answer:D! I never knew that, good to know thanks!

taj
06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

yeah, what he said. My appointments for my opiate refills are usually a few days early, since his office isn't open on Fridays. He'll write them out for the day I see him. so i get scripts for 30 days, written out every 28 days or so.

"Also, does it get cumulative. Let's say you get an early fill by 2 days one month, then you fill it early by 3 days the next--do they eventually say, wait--you can't do this!"

^^^^ never had a problem

I'm not sure about filling before the date the doctor wrote on the script(for narcotics), since I have to see him every month.

With my psych meds I have refills on the bottles, and it seems that they'll usually fill em a few days early, when i get my opiates, since it's just more convenient to pick em up all a once.

limitless_euphoria
06-11-2009, 04:40 AM
My Dr knows I live abroad. When I go back to the states (california) he will write me a script for 6months worth of Valium and Ambien.

OK, now that makes me wonder... how much time or how many months can a doctor write a script for at one time? Is six months the max? Or when you say 6 months you mean a script and 5 refills? Or could you say Rx 180 xanax and put on the bottle take 3 daily thus making it a 3 month Rx? Again, another thing I'm sure more than just I want to know.

Restharrow
06-11-2009, 09:05 AM
Federal Law allows 5 refills and the script expires 6 months from the day its written. Some states have more restrictive laws which the pharmacy will follow in that state.

If you are paying cash, its totally up to the pharmacist how early to let you refill your scripts (unless state law conflicts). If you are using insurance, the insurance company makes the decision. My insurance lets me refill after 75% are used up, or about a week early.

During the last few years, I have had to obtain most of my medical records (for insurance claims) and I was amazed at the number of calls to my doctors from pharmacists, letting them know that I was getting early re-fills and/or getting the same or similar meds. from other doctors. The "other doctors" were all doctors that had referred me to each other, so nothing shady was going on -- I had some serious medical problems and a bunch of operations in a 2-year period.

But the point I got from reading my medical records, was most pharmacists were in close contact with my doctors. The doctors never said anything to me, or if they did, it was just to confirm that I was seeing a doctor they referred me to see. I did have one doctor who used to tell me that my insurance company was notifiying him of duplicate scripts and he just said, "I assume its from the surgeon I sent you to see".

In recent years, I have waited to get refills, even if was an inconvenience, so as NOT to cause any problems with my doctors.

Also, I am super polite with the pharmacy staff and try and AVOID letting anyone else pick up my scripts. I remember a post from someone (Rock Bottom I think ????) laughing about picking up his Dad's morphine script and buying syringes at the same time to piss of the pharmacist. I cringed for his Dad when I read that. (If it was not you Rock, my apologies for this blow to your rep.)

Will

drew1503
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
The rules where I live OC are not set by the pharmacy but the insurance. My insurance will fill when 75% of the medication is gone or on day 23 no matter what type of drug it is. the pharmacist never cared, just the insurance. If I want to pay cash they told me I can refill as much as I want.
For my benzo's my doc can write a script and I do not have to see him for a year, he can call it in for that long.

Papa Verine
06-11-2009, 09:34 AM
I just had a problem with this last month.

I'm on public aid. (Medicaid) They refused to pay for my scripts last month because they said I've picked up 2-3 days early for the past few months and I should have a "surplus" to use up before they'll authorize payment for my meds. I had to get some samples from my doctor's office because of this. I did NOT have the surplus they said I should have. This isn't for a controlled substance either, just a very expensive anti-depressant they wanted to avoid having to pay for.

Illinois... Something stinks here and I don't like the smell of it.