PDA

View Full Version : Fentanyl compared to oxycontin.

L0VE
06-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Hey, does anyone know how much a 100/mcg fentanyl patch is, compared to oxycontin? (in words of how much oxycontin is = to 1 100/mcg patch.)

handsome rob
06-03-2006, 03:17 PM
With the patch, fentanyl is released at 100mcg per hour for 72 hours. It's hard to compare the two drugs because they feel very different. For analgesia its about like 10mg of oxy every hour for 3 days. If abused (say taken orally), all 10mg of the patch is released at once and is like doing 1000mg of oxy all at once and very dangerous.

(These numbers are estimates based on a narcotic conversion chart and may not be accurate.)

devilsdrug
06-03-2006, 03:33 PM
way too simple a ?, the method of ingestion for both need to be mentioned, for safety reasons there are no simple answers unless u want a murder beef on your jacket, just for the record i dont go by charts or books

THEPAINTER1960
06-03-2006, 03:37 PM
Yes totaly right Fentanyl i think is so much stronger then oxycodone. I have I.V.d both off them and there is a hell of a difference in strengh

handsome rob
06-03-2006, 05:07 PM
There is really no safe way to compare to very diiferent opiates, narcotic conversions are innaccurate and are really just an educated guess. Be very careful when using fentanyl. Many people are not aware that the 100mcg is only an hourly absorbtion rate and the patches come in doses from 2.5-10mg for a 72 hour period. Fentanyl is estimated at 80-100 times stronger than morphine, just to give an idea to its potency.

L0VE
06-03-2006, 06:55 PM
Thanks for replying. I don't even know if I'm gonna use it now but say I snort an 80mg oxy a day, can I handle the 100/mcg patch?

Intricately_Hollow
06-03-2006, 07:01 PM
Just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea to keep the patch handy in case Oxycontin isn't available. The patch is pretty potent, and kept me stable for the couple of days that Oxy wasn't available... not the feeling I wanted from Oxycontin, though. Either way, at least you don't go into withdrawals.

L0VE
06-03-2006, 07:11 PM
Just a suggestion, but it might be a good idea to keep the patch handy in case Oxycontin isn't available. The patch is pretty potent, and kept me stable for the couple of days that Oxy wasn't available... not the feeling I wanted from Oxycontin, though. Either way, at least you don't go into withdrawals.

I just got 2 80's today (after I posted this) and I usually don't have a problem getting ocs, so that's why I'm gonna skip on the patch. And I didn't buy the patch yet, but I got a good deal, only $25.00 :) .

mort
06-04-2006, 02:17 PM
Yes totaly right Fentanyl i think is so much stronger then oxycodone. I have I.V.d both off them and there is a hell of a difference in strengh

Okay, speaking of which, there are supposedly some pills going around which are "fake oxys", (they are marked with OC 80, but they look more like something someone pressed in a warehouse or something - swim saw them on mcg bulletin, apr and may). They supposedly contain no oxycodone, but contain 1.5 mg of fentanyl. My question is, has anyone heard anything about IVing the look-alikes? Swim hears that they last quite awhile, which speaks of the tablest being comprised of something which dissolves slowly, releasing the active ingredient over time (because Fentanyl's half-life is 1-1.5 hours, according to the chart thing on erowid); crushing one up and going to town could be potentially fatal (it's funny how often fatal and fentanyl get used together - funny odd, not funny ha ha), so swim is wondering if anyone had thoughts on the matter - other than the already mentioned fatal thing.

exitwound
06-04-2006, 03:36 PM
I just got 2 80's today (after I posted this) and I usually don't have a problem getting ocs, so that's why I'm gonna skip on the patch. And I didn't buy the patch yet, but I got a good deal, only $25.00 :) .

Go for it! Resell em to me for a wee markup after that if you don't like/want them, hell it would still be a good deal!

Scarlettnight
06-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Oxy doesn't even get me a buzz since I have been on the Fent.

TTD
06-07-2006, 12:19 PM
I should post this ahead of the rest of this post, Opiate naieve persons, who have not taken opiates long term and have no tollerance, can overdose from just sightly more than what would be a normal dose for that person. Take that into account before anything else.

Tollerant persons however have a much harder time reaching any ceiling effect.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The conversions are in fact accurate but in some cases liver failure or kidney failure cause one drug to be stronger than another. As well, in the absence of liver failure etc, those conversions are for converting ONE person, not from one person to another.

In addition to that there is only partial cross-tollerance between opiates, even between the ones in the same chemical class like oxycodone, hydrocodone etc.

Medical literature usually reccomends cutting the dose of a newly administered drug down to 75% of the equivalent of the previous drug. Sometimes they say even half is enough.

The charts all say that 100mcg fentanyl IV is an equananalgesic dose to 10mg morphine IV

In general, oxycodone IR is equal to this at 20mg oral or between 10-15mg IV, inhaled oxycodone as OC pills, is hard to give a real number for, there are alot of variables in that case. In some cases its weaker than oral, some cases stronger than oral. Overall the order USUALLY goes IV>inhaled>oral as far as absorbtion or bioavailability (AUC), but that isnt always true. In addition, you can guess all day long as to how long oxyconitn pills actually release oxycodone in various people, but in the end thats unreliable. Purdue claims 12 hours, but someone receiving oxycontin for tollerance to opiates in pain relief, isnt going to get 6 hours out of a single dose of oxycodone, since tollerance appears first as a shorter length of action. Truthfully a tollerant person will get no more than 8-9 hours max from oxycontin. And in an extreem case of tollerance even less.

Having said that, the patches with 100mcg/h release 200mcg per dose, since it lasts 2 hours. Thats double what would be considered equal to a full dose of morphine IV.

Now, notice i didnt say 'if you can snort X amount then this is equal" that means nothing, what you can take in whatever way is so far off being a constant that its not something you can just convert, especially from one person to another with diiferent metabolic rates.

Sometimes your not lucky enough to get twice the effect from a new drug, sometimes it works out that way.

I was able to wear 2 of the 100mcg patches at once for a long time, and I at the time (notice i didnt compare this to ANYONE ELSE) could inject 40mg oxycodone. Now according to the charts those amounts are close to each other, but if i had reccomended that patch rate to someone who also could IV 40mg oxycodone, that person might end up getting 1.5 or 2x the effect from the fentanyl.

Even having said all of this, overdose in a person who is tollerant at any level is far far less common than is spread around by media. It takes more than a linear increase to cause an overdose in a tollerant person, some of you may have realized this to the effect that taking more than a certain amount of a drug no longer has an equal increase of effect per amount taken.

Linear increase being if person x or say, ME, for instance, could take 40mg oxycodone IV, and i then decided to 3 seconds later shoot 40mg more, i would not get 2 times the effect, probably far less.

There have been studies done in the past where heroin addicts were given HUGE doses of diacetymorphine, EXPONENTIAL doses, sometimes on the order of hundreds of milligrams, with no greater effect, and no adverse reaction.

Thats in TOLLERANCE by the way, NOT an opiate naieve person who has never been given opiates long term.

A normal person can easily overdose from just taking slightly more than what was previously thought to be a good dose.

TTD
06-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Scarlettnight: Fentanyl is if i remember correctly, a drug with stronger affinity and binding ability to the opiate receptors in question (Mu1), whereas oxycodone is not as strong.

Taking fentanyl and then oxycodone on top of it the oxycodone will have little to bind to to produce an effect, and oxycodone will not kick fentanyl off a receptor. Hence taking oxycodone while on fentanyl or a similar situation is wastefull and in extreem case, pointless altogether.

Scarlettnight
06-07-2006, 12:36 PM
never said I took them together I tried the Oxy on several occasions where I was out of Fent.

L0VE
06-10-2006, 09:34 AM
I should post this ahead of the rest of this post, Opiate naieve persons, who have not taken opiates long term and have no tollerance, can overdose from just sightly more than what would be a normal dose for that person. Take that into account before anything else.

Tollerant persons however have a much harder time reaching any ceiling effect.

----------------------------------------------------------------

The conversions are in fact accurate but in some cases liver failure or kidney failure cause one drug to be stronger than another. As well, in the absence of liver failure etc, those conversions are for converting ONE person, not from one person to another.

In addition to that there is only partial cross-tollerance between opiates, even between the ones in the same chemical class like oxycodone, hydrocodone etc.

Medical literature usually reccomends cutting the dose of a newly administered drug down to 75% of the equivalent of the previous drug. Sometimes they say even half is enough.

The charts all say that 100mcg fentanyl IV is an equananalgesic dose to 10mg morphine IV

In general, oxycodone IR is equal to this at 20mg oral or between 10-15mg IV, inhaled oxycodone as OC pills, is hard to give a real number for, there are alot of variables in that case. In some cases its weaker than oral, some cases stronger than oral. Overall the order USUALLY goes IV>inhaled>oral as far as absorbtion or bioavailability (AUC), but that isnt always true. In addition, you can guess all day long as to how long oxyconitn pills actually release oxycodone in various people, but in the end thats unreliable. Purdue claims 12 hours, but someone receiving oxycontin for tollerance to opiates in pain relief, isnt going to get 6 hours out of a single dose of oxycodone, since tollerance appears first as a shorter length of action. Truthfully a tollerant person will get no more than 8-9 hours max from oxycontin. And in an extreem case of tollerance even less.

Having said that, the patches with 100mcg/h release 200mcg per dose, since it lasts 2 hours. Thats double what would be considered equal to a full dose of morphine IV.

Now, notice i didnt say 'if you can snort X amount then this is equal" that means nothing, what you can take in whatever way is so far off being a constant that its not something you can just convert, especially from one person to another with diiferent metabolic rates.

Sometimes your not lucky enough to get twice the effect from a new drug, sometimes it works out that way.

I was able to wear 2 of the 100mcg patches at once for a long time, and I at the time (notice i didnt compare this to ANYONE ELSE) could inject 40mg oxycodone. Now according to the charts those amounts are close to each other, but if i had reccomended that patch rate to someone who also could IV 40mg oxycodone, that person might end up getting 1.5 or 2x the effect from the fentanyl.

Even having said all of this, overdose in a person who is tollerant at any level is far far less common than is spread around by media. It takes more than a linear increase to cause an overdose in a tollerant person, some of you may have realized this to the effect that taking more than a certain amount of a drug no longer has an equal increase of effect per amount taken.

Linear increase being if person x or say, ME, for instance, could take 40mg oxycodone IV, and i then decided to 3 seconds later shoot 40mg more, i would not get 2 times the effect, probably far less.

There have been studies done in the past where heroin addicts were given HUGE doses of diacetymorphine, EXPONENTIAL doses, sometimes on the order of hundreds of milligrams, with no greater effect, and no adverse reaction.

Thats in TOLLERANCE by the way, NOT an opiate naieve person who has never been given opiates long term.

A normal person can easily overdose from just taking slightly more than what was previously thought to be a good dose.

BELIEVE ME, I am opiate TOLERANT, to the point that I can snort a shit load of 80's and not feel a thing :( . But too bad I'm done with this shit as of today. Thank for the post though.