PDA

View Full Version : what are blue's in DrugStore Cowboy

johnny27
06-01-2006, 03:28 PM
I like to watch the Drug Store cowboy once in a while. And yes i agree its abit far fetched getting your drugs as easy as he does.
Just wondering, what are the "blues" bob shoots in the film?
I sorta think its a type of barb but not sure. This is a silly question but its really bugging me, Thanks

Opiyum
06-01-2006, 05:59 PM
Heres a Drug slang Dictionary.

http://www.tcada.state.tx.us/research/slang/terms.pdf

Blues could be ant number of things I would recommend you read the book to find specifically what the character was using. Im not sure but I think Blues are Tuanol and then Reds are Amyls or Seconal but in the film it could be anything. I think thats why they did that because there really is no way of knowing.

johnny27
06-01-2006, 11:27 PM
thanks. I was thinking it maybe be a barb of some type, cause he mentions in a line in the film dope (dilly, morphine) and blue's seperate, which led me to think that the blue's where not an opiate.

HistoryofMadness
06-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I have only heard of blues being mentioned a couple of times, referring to sedative/benzo/barbs (the feeling more than a specific one, in fact an old junky friend of mine used to refer to his over-medicating with sleeping pills as blues)...

The other one was referring to "T's and Blues" I don't know if many younger folks know what these are, because much like quaaludes, because of their diversion they basically ceased to exist... anybody ever heard of or done these (I have not, by the way). . .

-H

shaunclo
06-02-2006, 08:59 AM
Im almost positive he was referring to 10 millie valiums. Cause remember when the guy has been up for like 3 days on meth and he says to him, "Its looks like you could use them" I think he was referring to him coming down for a bit with the good ol 10 millie blues (valium)

johnny27
06-03-2006, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure, as the guy on meth first asked bob if he's got any blues, and they said no. Why then would he be offered valium if it was'nt different from blues? I could be wrong although.
Could'nt really see the point in shooting straight diazpam anyhow, i thought since bob could get any phram's so he would'nt bother with valium plus even a short acting barb has incredibly euphoric effects when IV'd, which why i think the blue's where barbs, since barbs where famous for the different coloured caps, like all red, then half red half blue and so on.

chemboy7
06-03-2006, 04:27 AM
And yes i agree its abit far fetched getting your drugs as easy as he does.

Don't be so niave, Jim Fogle, the author of Drugstore Cowboy, has been busted many times for doing the infamous smash and grab pharmacy robberies that he made so famous with his book and later movie. The last bust that I know of he was caught with over $38,000 of pharmacueticals in 1992 with his wife and step son. Sucsessful pharmacy robberies are not likely to make the news.

devilsdrug
06-03-2006, 07:26 AM
i for one pesonally know not one but two drugstore cowboys, having seen the pillowcases of goods on more than one occassion from both, the blues are tuinal if my memory is correct but definitly a barb cause back then they were everywhere, ever kick barbs look the fuk out

Paregoric Kid
06-03-2006, 10:12 AM
yes it's a barbiturate, probably tuinal like said above^

johnny27
06-04-2006, 05:33 AM
Thanks for that. I relaize too, that barbs have a tottaly different effect when taken orraly and taken by IV. I have only had one expereince of barbs, and i don't know if it counts. But was going for surgery once. And received a super short acting barb as a pre sugery sedative. Nurse give it IV, and i never ever had expereinced euphoria like it. The rush was great, and i have never again found a hit as good as it. I imagine that a short acting sedative IV'd would be highly addictive, and could only imagine the buzz if the likes of blues where iv'd with herion or diconal (dangerous anyhow) thanks

johnny27
06-04-2006, 05:35 AM
Don't be so niave, Jim Fogle, the author of Drugstore Cowboy, has been busted many times for doing the infamous smash and grab pharmacy robberies that he made so famous with his book and later movie. The last bust that I know of he was caught with over $38,000 of pharmacueticals in 1992 with his wife and step son. Sucsessful pharmacy robberies are not likely to make the news.

Thanks for the info :)

L0VE
06-04-2006, 07:10 AM
I'm not sure but I know a lot of people call 1.0 of xanax blues or footballs.

devilsdrug
06-04-2006, 07:50 AM
im pretty sure there was no such thing as xanax when the book was written or movie made for that matter

THEPAINTER1960
06-04-2006, 09:07 AM
Good old t's& blues. I forgot what the blues were it will come back to me but the t's were Talwin. At one time Talwins were slamming pills, i mean they really got you high . Well word got around and then the drug maker reformulated Talwin. They put 0.5 millagrams of Naltroxeone in each pill so you cant abuse the Talwin anymore. IF you take like more then three pills the Naltroxeone actually will put you into almost a withdrawl. I.ll right back when i remember what the blues were it was long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flipside
06-04-2006, 09:12 AM
im pretty sure there was no such thing as xanax when the book was written or movie made for that matter

True enough DD, I agree with ya, They are most likely refering to T. We used to call them blues back in the days long befor before Xanax existed or Valium was being IV'd ( at least amongs the crowd I ran with) Most common were T and D'd. Reds, blues and the like, I agree putting it in the proper time frame makes a differrence.

devilsdrug
06-04-2006, 09:26 AM
dont forget the yellows , of course one always wanted the bullit version stronger dose, yellows , blues , reds , then there was a blue and red one also, bullitt being where one end gelcap bullitt shaped

flipside
06-04-2006, 09:52 AM
dont forget the yellows , of course one always wanted the bullit version stronger dose, yellows , blues , reds , then there was a blue and red one also, bullitt being where one end gelcap bullitt shaped

Ahhhh, who could forget the good ole days? Having a nice little trip down memory lane. somebody else metioned ludes in another post, Geez, I remember when i was a pharm tech and could get an unlimited supply, never have found anything that quite measured up to that particular high,they were the begining of my journey down the road less traveled .Is it just me or does reminiscing about all the old faves make anyone else feel old?

L0VE
06-04-2006, 09:56 AM

I know, I'm just saying that recently blues pertain to xanax. But I have no idea what the movie was pertaining to, I haven't seen it.

Opiyum
06-04-2006, 02:47 PM
I know, I'm just saying that recently blues pertain to xanax. But I have no idea what the movie was pertaining to, I haven't seen it.

Its good that you chimed in on the subject then..huh?

Sorry just tired as fuck and that felt good...

PantyShot9
06-04-2006, 04:28 PM
Tuinal is a mixture of amobartial(Amytal) and secobarbital(Seconal). It is blue and red for the color of the single two drugs. Therefore Amytal is most likely what he meant when he was talking about blues. And T's and Blues is Talwin with an antihistimine that used to be made called tripelennamine. I've always wanted to try that. Sadly enough the only barbs I've had the pleasure of trying are phenobarbital and butalbital(Fioricet).

devilsdrug
06-04-2006, 05:00 PM
thank you for clearin that up sounds right to me , brain cell arent as plentiful as once upon a time

PantyShot9
06-04-2006, 05:44 PM
thank you for clearin that up sounds right to me , brain cell arent as plentiful as once upon a time

Well at least you got to try the shit. I'd do anything to live a little back then when barbs were all the rave. I always find it weird that basically sleeping pills were the big thing at one time oh well.

johnny27
06-06-2006, 07:29 PM
As i said unkown barb i was once iv'd with was tottaly amazing, intense rush and euphoria better than you could imagine. And then it was lights out lol
I beleive that barbs did'nt have the same effect when taken oraly, more of a stupor.
I would love nothing more to have a little supply of an short acting barb which is the strongest, just to see that euphoria again when iv'd. Although i beleive that the prob with a barb habit is that your tolerance to the effect of the barbs increase, leaving you to take high doses, but the danger is that even with high dose tolerance the lethal dose does not rise at all, which is quite a bummer.

Zoops
06-12-2006, 05:18 PM
I seem to remember hearing "Bob" in Drugstore Cowboy say something about "blues of dilaudid." Maybe it was some kind of fictional-made up type of hydromorphone capsule ( I know real D's aren't blue).

Just sayin' is all.

Hey, anyone remember Placidyls? I am just old enough to have gotten in on the very tail end of those. don't make them suckers anymore either, but God DAMN! and the taste - like dry cleaning fluid in your throat!

hoooweee!

exitwound
06-12-2006, 10:01 PM
dilaudid is some good shit man, i don't care what TTD says :-)

devilsdrug
06-13-2006, 07:32 AM
oh yeaa placidils yuck that vapor could kill ya but they kicked ass

soro_one
06-13-2006, 04:19 PM
It's street name for speed. AKA amphetamines.

Zoops
06-13-2006, 06:52 PM
oh yeaa placidils yuck that vapor could kill ya but they kicked ass

HEY, check this out - did you know (little known fact) that the former chief justice of the Supreme Court of the United States, William Rhenquist, who died recently and gave up that post, was in fact addicted to placyidyl back in the 1970's? He had to get treatment for it and everything. Imagine the top judge in the whole country all whacked out on placidyls! I read about it and he was takin' 'em every day to avoid WD's which I imagine would be horrendous from that shiite.

PantyShot9
07-01-2006, 04:29 PM
For those that have tried Placidyl what was it like? I've been fascinated with this drug since learning of it's fairly recent ban which seems like one of the most desirable drugs to me being banned that recently since Rohypnol.

ShaneFlipside
07-01-2006, 07:58 PM
That's correct, that Amytal, street name Blue Heavens, were the Barbituate that was a sky blue capsue. Tuinal's were one dose of Seconal and one of Amytal. That's is why a rainbow was so strong. Interestingly enough, back in the PDR's of those days, Amytal was the only barb listed as a hypnotic and not a sedative - I know I thought they were the most euphoric - goold old swim even forged a script for them once, since the blues by themselves were always scarce. I'm embarassed to say I've never seen Drugstore Cowboy, so can't use clues from the film itself - but since this movie is supposed to be set in 60's when cowboying was more common and much easier - if that is the case then that is prior to the years of T's and Blues - I though the blue antihistamine was Parabenziamde? yes, 10 mg valiums are also blue - but there was one blue pill back in the 60's most likely to have inspired radical acts like robbery - the opoid, brand name Numorphan, was oxymorphone - as oxycodone is to hydrocodome, oxymorphone is to hydromorphone - and sure enough those 10 mg blue numorphan tabs were sold for ten bucks back when 10 could get you a fat quarter t of white dope -they were pulled from the market around the time the Dilaudid footballs were pulled - at least that is what i think happened - they made 10 mg pills of dilaudud (hydromorphone) and numorphan (oxymorphone) much harder to get at the beginning of the 70's. So my bet is the blues in question were these ultrasdesirable pills swim only had the good fortune to run up on a couple times back when he was a teenage opiophile.

freedomclub
07-02-2006, 08:55 AM
I did Placidyls a couple of times and felt goofy then it wore off and left a head ache. Jesus Lizard has a song titled "Lies, Placidyls" and it is BADASS!

johnny27
07-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I beleive Drug store cowboy was based in the 70s, when there was a craze for barbs and IV using of them

ShaneFlipside
07-10-2006, 07:01 AM
Throwing a new reply into this thread, since it seems some do sneak in if semi-relevant - and so far I haven't initiated a thread but feel more comfy commenting on already ongoing discussions. Anyhow, someone brought up placidyl in the middle of the "blues" question - and a few are nostalgic for the downer era. I thought I'd riff off of Placidyl (which I always classified like chloral hydrate - as a knockout drop - I can't imagine what they were prescribed for haha); and that is to mention the sedative most frequently associated with an opiate - I'm talking about Doriden - that's a brand name for Glutheaimide (or something close to that) - and it was a super longacting sedative - very similar to the most potent barbs. With codeine, a combo of 2 Doriden and 4 grains of codeines were called "loads" and sold as an opiate type street drug in LA the same way T's and Blues were popular in the 80's backeast/in the midwest. So, does anyone else have any doridem/mixing it with opiates tales or what not? - cuz my other reason for responding is the reopening of this thread along the I wish I could've been around in the barbiturate (barbituate used interchangably) days. Well let swim tell you, he definitely loved the rush so-to-speak - and like must true opiphiles, the rush aint that important, a creeping dominating warm feeling is far superior - but for sure shooting downers is a rush! BUt boy oh boy is that a thick chalk if you miss - very abscess-causing, And man oh man, the amount of belligerent assholes that barbs caused - like alcohol at its worst. But because withdrawals caused seizures and constant use led to accidental overdose poisoning - I'd say be glad they're not as prevalent - and the high couldn't compare with an opiate - believe that!

A funny sidenote- way back in the barb days, swim recalls folks saying the bandit and then the m and m reds were cut with morphime - as if opiates were cheap enough to lace sleeping pills with just so you could sell multiple on the street for a buck. Right!

edhorfin
07-10-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm pretty sure T's and Blues were Talwin and Doriden.

devilsdrug
07-10-2006, 07:12 AM
m and m reds shit i literally sold thousands and thousands and thousands of those, yes its all true fights broke out often ods alone or mixed with alcohol , i still hav a small lump from missin a red back in about seventy , loads shit i heard of the combo in a socal prison but never ran into them in the bay area

Hammilton
07-10-2006, 07:28 PM
No, T's and Blues were definitely Talwin and Tripellenamine. But Barbs weren't really the craze of the part of the 70s the movie is set in. It actually more of a late sixties thing when errbody was commiting suicide on 'em. Recreational abuse was relatively limited because of the super-easy death issues. Limited like abuse of poppies is limited, but not like the really limited nature of butorphanol.

hovadagod
09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
This thread is hillarious. I saw the movie and of course tried to figure out what's what. But in reality, it's a movie and the fact that it was left ambiguous leads me to believe that there is no right answer to this one. I think that leaving it vague did a good job at wetting everyone's pallet, regardless of their DOC. But I will say that it was not dilaudid (as that was covered at another point of the movie and came in a little bottle) and it wasn't speed (who would want speed to come down from meth?). But what they were....maybe something specific but I doubt the director of the movie ever figured that one out.

dorje
09-05-2006, 03:17 AM
Blues are Blue Endos, oxymorphone, now rereleased as Opana. The rush was better than Dilaudid. Everyone called them blues or blue endo in the old days.

freedomclub
09-05-2006, 05:56 AM
prob not that exotic, diazapam 10's

dorje
09-05-2006, 06:26 AM
Maybe not but before they pulled Numorphan (Blue Endo) off the shelves there was lots of the stuuff. It was as prevalent as Percodans. If I had two minutes to pull stuff from behind the counter I sure wouldn't bother with anything but high level narcotics. Also, remember that vial of Diluadid in powder form that Burroughs is given. Fairly rare.

freedomclub
09-05-2006, 08:44 AM
I'm not saying they did get into some wild chems but wasn't it that kid on speed wanting something to come down with? I'm in no way arguing this with you just putting it out there.:cool:

hovadagod
09-10-2006, 03:41 PM
The Blues were not stronger than the dilaudid. When they got dilaudid that was like striking gold to them. The blues were what they always had and stole. Obviously not Valium 10 or the movie wouldn't even be worth watching but definately not stronger than dilaudid (assuming that they are opi's). When they got dilaudid, the blues were nothin'.

insanesteveo
09-10-2006, 10:46 PM
I'm not saying they did get into some wild chems but wasn't it that kid on speed wanting something to come down with? I'm in no way arguing this with you just putting it out there.:cool:

this is what i thought. the weird strung out kid came over asking for them, and i thought they were blue valiums.

Blind Melon
09-28-2006, 12:22 AM
Check out this link, not sure how quality wikipedia is, but this looks like it confirms what somebody said a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talwin

Opiyum
09-28-2006, 02:06 AM
No no no. Your all (including my first post in this thread) wrong. It's fucking blue skittles man. They were doing some sort of promotion at the time and introduced the blue skittles. They failed miserably and were taken of the market. Never to be spoken of again until now.

freedomclub
09-28-2006, 05:23 AM
Check out this link, not sure how quality wikipedia is, but this looks like it confirms what somebody said a while ago. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talwin

We have a winner!

hovadagod
09-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I hate this thread.

freedomclub
09-28-2006, 09:24 AM
I hate this thread.

right on.

SpecialGuy69
10-22-2006, 04:24 PM
according to wiki, the numorphan people win:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxymorphone

sounds right.

vanilla_mlkshake2007
10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Maybe blues stand for 10 milligram valiums I'm not sure though Just a guess.

Azrael
10-22-2006, 05:20 PM
Good old t's& blues. I forgot what the blues were it will come back to me but the t's were Talwin. At one time Talwins were slamming pills, i mean they really got you high . Well word got around and then the drug maker reformulated Talwin. They put 0.5 millagrams of Naltroxeone in each pill so you cant abuse the Talwin anymore. IF you take like more then three pills the Naltroxeone actually will put you into almost a withdrawl. I.ll right back when i remember what the blues were it was long time ago!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is correct, the "T's" are Talwin, the infamously great pill to slam. Best pill I ever slammed was dilaudids, had about a six week run with them, and it was a couple years ago when my tolerance wasn't absolute dung. The talwin that were shootable were before my time, Talwin these days is reformulated. As to what the blues are, as others have already said, some kind of sedatitve of sorts, although I did hear one time some one told me that there was a certain antihistamine that was really popular to take with T's. The other possibility is that blues were Numorphan, another infamously great pill to mainline.

-Az

exitwound
10-27-2006, 11:53 PM
If it's Numorphan, then perhaps I'll have the chance to try it out in the new form of Opana.....i don't inject, granted, and this is for severe chronic pain, but in terms of quality, and comparing say rectal use to oral etc.....maybe even a little snorting, despite the TIMERx gel formulation.....I should be able to clue y'all in to how spiffy, or not, the Blues actually are...

OpiGuRu729
01-05-2007, 08:59 PM
I know blues commonly to be benzo's such as valium 10mg's or clonazepam 1mg's... but in the movie it could be a barb like you were thinking but i have heard of people injecting benzo's so this could be another possibility...

tptptp
01-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Didnt read all the responses but in this case if I recall correctly when the one dude first comes in his house and asks if he has blues he says NO....he offers him morphine sulfate instead....I cant imagine hed rather give morphine to the guy than benzos, so in this particular case I dont think its a benzo reference.

OpiGuRu729
01-08-2007, 02:36 AM
I like to watch the Drug Store cowboy once in a while. And yes i agree its abit far fetched getting your drugs as easy as he does.
Just wondering, what are the "blues" bob shoots in the film?
I sorta think its a type of barb but not sure. This is a silly question but its really bugging me, Thanks

The "Blues" Bob inject's in the movie Drug Store Cowboy are Oxymorphone, a chemically simialar opiate to oxycodone and morphine but is derived from Thebaine, Rather than the opium Poppy such as morphine and other opiates... i didnt even know thebaine contained any such opiate... but i just read it in a prescription drug booklet that i took from my doctors office... But anyways there's your answer if somebudy else hasnt already answered it...
Sincereley,
B.C.

Chipper
01-08-2007, 03:23 AM
yep most likely Tuinals

tptptp
01-11-2007, 06:21 PM
The "Blues" Bob inject's in the movie Drug Store Cowboy are Oxymorphone, a chemically simialar opiate to oxycodone and morphine but is derived from Thebaine, Rather than the opium Poppy such as morphine and other opiates... i didnt even know thebaine contained any such opiate... but i just read it in a prescription drug booklet that i took from my doctors office... But anyways there's your answer if somebudy else hasnt already answered it...
Sincereley,
B.C.

TheBaine is also an alkaloid derived from the opium poppy

chemboy7
01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
What are the blues in Drugstore Cowboy?

Who the fuck cares, really, it's not like your going to be able to reach through the screen and gank it from him, or ever even run acrossed them on the street... probably just made up drug slang to sound cool in the movie.

Opiyum
01-12-2007, 12:37 AM
Never thought, when this guy first came around, that it would last this long an attract so much interest. Regardless it awesome when Chemboy yells at people...I love it.

chemboy7
01-12-2007, 02:03 AM
Never thought, when this guy first came around, that it would last this long an attract so much interest. Regardless it awesome when Chemboy yells at people...I love it.

I save it for special occasions, we already have a bulldog around here; although double D's been slippin' up lately.

pBong
01-12-2008, 04:27 AM
Speaking of "blues" -- anyone had any luck busting down that nasty TIMERx binding yet? Or any general experiences at all with Opana? How about the instant release forms (5, 10mg) of Opana -- are they any easier to play with and enjoy thoroughly? Thanks in advance for any insight.

Be safe, be nice, be fun...
-pBong

havok
01-12-2008, 05:45 AM
The blues in Drugstore Cowboy were most definitly 10mg OXYMORPHONE. I am surprised so many people don't know this.

underide
01-12-2008, 08:44 AM
wrong post, sorry

mods please delete this if you can

resorcinol
01-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Speaking of "blues" -- anyone had any luck busting down that nasty TIMERx binding yet? Or any general experiences at all with Opana? How about the instant release forms (5, 10mg) of Opana -- are they any easier to play with and enjoy thoroughly? Thanks in advance for any insight.

-pBong

You can bust down the TIMERx by dissolving the powder in an acidic solution and leaving overnight, but that's still no good for IV. DO NOT IV time released opana!

IR Opana can probably be IVed without much trouble.

jonny-5
01-13-2008, 04:46 PM
ive heard old timers talking about reds and blues and they were talking about seconal and tuinal. never seen drugstore cowboy so i dont know but ya...

BettyBeautiful
01-13-2008, 04:56 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opana

Check this out, when I was prescribed Opana ER I looked on Wikipedia for some info and was surprised to see that they were the "blues" that they were referring (look under "Illicit Use")

Now it also says the "Ts and blues are not referring to oxymorphone" so I'm not totally sure, but take a read - hopefully will help (Opana IR was available then, abused IV, and produced a high) too bad the ER I get now is filled with silica. :(

Take Care - betty

Thanat0s
01-13-2008, 04:56 PM
it is without a doubt, numorphan, or oxymorphone... why would anything else be the subject of such desire and mystique?
FINAL ANSWER:
OXYMORPHONE.

BettyBeautiful
01-13-2008, 04:59 PM

-pBong

I have only snorted mine, however it produces a great high (I like it quite a bit) compared to ingesting. Not sure how to break the TIMERx, but snorting is the next best method.

Take Care - betty

GA_M'Done120
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
I saw where post was answered. Edit for that reason

whiterobot122
02-18-2008, 12:03 PM
He's using Oxymorphone. wiki Oxymorphone, it'll tell you

euphoricontin17
08-18-2009, 10:16 AM
Hey, I know this thread is really old but i wanted to point out that in the beginning while bob is shooting up in the backseat he says " I laughed at myself AS I PICTURED SO MANY BLUES OF DILAUDID that the spoon was literally overflowing " now i am not saying that the blues were dilaudid because I know d's never came in blue color BUT what I think is this: perhaps because it was the early 70's and they were junkies or just because of a mistake made in the movie- the characters may have considered oxymorphone to be the same drug as hydromorphone. I agree that the blues were most deffinatly numorphan but what I don't understand is why he calls them " blues of dilaudid " so my best guess is since they were junkies and its only a difference between hydro and oxy they considered them the same. If that theory is right, then that would also explain why the crew gets so excited when they get the vial of powdered dilaudid. The reason, I think, is because although the blues were potent, they only came in 10mg pills which had to be prepped one at a time etc. While the powdered D was already powdered and instead of having to break each individual numorphan, with the D they just added as many 16th's as they wanted and that made is untra desirable and also bob say " this little bottle contains 840-odd sixteenths, thats about $8400 on the street " With a 16th being 4mg about, thats 3360mg of D. I'd of shit my pants lol. So does that make sense you guys think or is there a better explanation or did the movie itself just mistake numorphan for the same thing as dilaudid?

hovadagod
08-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I have no idea what you're talking about but remember being frustrated by this topic a few years ago :)

DCBA
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
So many opinions...

It's Numorphan 10mg blue pills!

Endo withdrew the original Numorphan tablets from the market in 1972 as the result of regulatory and market pressures and other considerations as it was passionately sought, by any means necessary, by some narcotics addicts. Until its removal from the United States market at that point, oxymorphone in the form of Numorphan 10 mg instant-release tablets was one of the most sought-after and well-regarded opioids of the IV drug using community. Because of its low bioavailability, 10% when taken orally, a 10 mg tablet represents 10 times the average IV dose in a single tablet. Known popularly as "blues" or "Nu- Blues" for their light blue color, the tablets contained very few insoluble binders—making them easy to inject—and were extremely potent when used intravenously. "Blues" were also considered to be especially euphoric; comparable to or better than heroin. Numorphan tablets, and the oxymorphone they contained, are the "blues" referred to in the film Drugstore Cowboy.

I've tried them 17 years ago in the form of Numorphan! I worked at the hospital and they were still available there... Holly shit! Thats the best! Trully! Too bad they were controlled as hell and after a year or two after i started working they were withdrawn from the market here but i think they are still available in Spain.

digby
01-22-2010, 02:29 PM
I'm sorry people, but the blues in Drugstore Cowboy were not oxymorphone. Either that that, or the script writers had no idea what they were talking about.

You will remember when the pouting girl was told to just take her half a blue and go puke in the bathroom for a while. Around that same time in the film she was told by Kelly Lynch that "you can't shoot no god-damn blue". Exact quote. Now we all know that the reason oxymorphone was so popular during the 70's was because it was great to shoot. You will also note that no one was ever seen shooting up a blue in the movie. If they were oxymorphone, they would have been one of the most desirable to shoot and the characters in the movie would have known this.

Houston, we have a problem here. Wiki is wrong on this one, as is the popular sentiment. Either that, or the script of the movie makes no sense. Or Kelly Lynch's character had no clue about drugs, which also makes no sense given her history.

Granted, the writers may not have understood "blues", but then that would make this entire thread irrelevant anyway. Who cares what they were if the writers had no clue?

p.s. Also, later in the film, when the girl lay dead on the floor, Matt Dillon commented that she couldn't have OD'd from half a blue. Well, if she had to go throw up when she took half a blue without shooting, as was indicated earlier, then she could have indeed OD's from 5 mg where she to shoot it for the first time. If it was oxymorphone. So once again, indications are that blues were something else other than oxymorphone.

eukodalic
01-22-2010, 02:42 PM
they were withdrawn from the market here but i think they are still available in Spain.

Not sure if the Spanish ones are still called Numorphans, but we sure as heck can currently get oxymorphone legally by prescription (Sched. II, of course) here in the USA. >>OPANA<<:)

5, 10 mg/IR. 10,20,30,40 mg. ER. (Could possibly be other formulations. Also, no generic to my knowledge. Which is why the Endo brand
Opanas cost so darn much, w/o insurance--):(

My ava' shows the 10 mg. IRs...:)
<<<

DCBA
01-22-2010, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry people, but the blues in Drugstore Cowboy were not oxymorphone. Either that that, or the script writers had no idea what they were talking about.

You will remember when the pouting girl was told to just take her half a blue and go puke in the bathroom for a while. Around that same time in the film she was told by Kelly Lynch that "you can't shoot no god-damn blue". Exact quote. Now we all know that the reason oxymorphone was so popular during the 70's was because it was great to shoot. You will also note that no one was ever seen shooting up a blue in the movie. If they were oxymorphone, they would have been one of the most desirable to shoot and the characters in the movie would have known this.

Houston, we have a problem here. Wiki is wrong on this one, as is the popular sentiment. Either that, or the script of the movie makes no sense. Or Kelly Lynch's character had no clue about drugs, which also makes no sense given her history.

Granted, the writers may not have understood "blues", but then that would make this entire thread irrelevant anyway. Who cares what they were if the writers had no clue?

p.s. Also, later in the film, when the girl lay dead on the floor, Matt Dillon commented that she couldn't have OD'd from half a blue. Well, if she had to go throw up when she took half a blue without shooting, as was indicated earlier, then she could have indeed OD's from 5 mg where she to shoot it for the first time. If it was oxymorphone. So once again, indications are that blues were something else other than oxymorphone.
Sorry but your wrong! In the 70s blues were numorphan..

Tainted
01-22-2010, 07:12 PM
I

My understanding of that was "You can't shoot no blue" as in, you can't do a whole blue your tolerance isn't high enough. She was bitching she only gets a half why doesn't she get a full one like everyone else? And she was told "You can't shoot no god damn blue"

I don't understand what the discussion is about though, As someone said earlier it's said "dreaming about blues of diluadid" so blues IN THE MOVIE were referring to diluadid,hydrmorphone. regardless of what blues are in real life, that's what it was in the movie.

Locke
01-22-2010, 07:59 PM
The blues are the things that are in Samuel L. Jackson's briefcase in "Pulp Fiction." They are also the definitive essence of what Jodie Foster's character in "Contact" experiences. And they're the reason the Black Eyed Peas are popular.

digby
01-22-2010, 08:33 PM
My understanding of that was "You can't shoot no blue" as in, you can't do a whole blue your tolerance isn't high enough. She was bitching she only gets a half why doesn't she get a full one like everyone else? And she was told "You can't shoot no god damn blue"

I don't understand what the discussion is about though, As someone said earlier it's said "dreaming about blues of diluadid" so blues IN THE MOVIE were referring to diluadid,hydrmorphone. regardless of what blues are in real life, that's what it was in the movie.

Good point. I hadn't thought of it in that way, although now I'm not really sure what that line meant.

In any event, you do bring up the consequential point - and that is lots of things were called "blues" at that time and movies have a lot of freedom on how things are presented anyway. I even remember a particular brand of LSD that we called Blues in the late 60's as well. I think this question of what blues were got so much play because the movie was done so much more realistically than is normally seen, so people tend to put more credence on the drug reference stuff, which was for the most part extremely accurate. Even to the point of drawing up what certainly appeared to be one of the old hypodermic tablets of dilaudid and the discussion of sixteenths instead of other names for the tablets.

Would someone end this once and for all and put out the dime to call up Van Zant and get this thing answered definitively once and for all? ;)

Thanat0s
01-22-2010, 10:43 PM

CORRECT.

its fucking numorphan, oxymorphone,
they used dilaudid as well,
but 'blues' were numoprh,
and so highly prized
that they were removed from the market
until their second coming
as the messiah opana IR.

let the subject be put at rest.

digby
01-22-2010, 10:57 PM

No, I may not be right, but I'm not wrong. :)

We are talking about a pill from a movie, not simply a pill from the 70's. Numorphan from the 70's were often called blues, but so were other substances. Personally, I thought in the movie that they referred to Amobarbital, which were definitely called blues in the 70's and made more sense to the movie plot than oxymorphone did, the other most likely candidate. But blues in the movie could refer to several different drugs including Talwin which were also called "blues", and no way to definitively prove it was one over another. Sorry, but this one will never be settled without a direct quote from the writer. Anything else is conjecture, at which I tried my hand as well.

This might go down with the Kennedy assassination as one of life's great mysteries.

Thanat0s
01-22-2010, 11:10 PM
talwin?

they were most cetainly not
robbing pharmacies
to shoot up talwin.

heh,
t&blues.

im sure people sold all kinds of pills as 'blues'

digby
01-22-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm with you thanat0s in that I wouldn't want to shoot up talwin either, but I hear people did it. In this movie however, it became clear early on that dilaudid was their DOC and not Blues, whatever they happened to be.

Tainted - I think the "blues of dilaudid" referred to a state of mind rather than a product as blue colored hydromorphone has never been manufactured to my knowledge and certainly not by Knoll during the 70's.

Synack
01-22-2010, 11:44 PM
Swim's been shooting these all day long...good shit.

GOLD N DIEMONDS
01-22-2010, 11:52 PM
No, I may not be right, but I'm not wrong. :)
<snipe>

This might go down with the Kennedy assassination as one of life's great mysteries.

YES SIR- I think that what it's suppose to be. A mystery , kind of fill in your "DOC" for the blues. Basically a nonspecific ULTRA DRUG.

MYSTERIOUS- look we are still guessing at it after all this time - guess it worked

RaZeR
01-23-2010, 02:12 AM
Damn didn't anyone read the book?:p The blues were refered to as morphine which could also be numorphan. I remember there was this part where they talked about putting it on blotter paper and dropping some shit on em before you shoot them. They were considered not as good as the dilaudid so when he's doing the deal he says he has blues but no dilaudid then mentions the blotter paper thing.

panda
01-23-2010, 04:32 AM
^^ i dont get it then, they like nutted over getting blue's. and how can numorphan, be considered anything other then oxymorphone?

deltapsik0
02-17-2010, 02:00 AM
I've heard 10/500 Blue Hydrocodone's referred to as blues.

Also the 1mg Xanny footballs are also blues.

I mean really it can be alot of things depending on your region, also 30mg roxis'

clonaze-whammed
02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
The Blues were not stronger than the dilaudid. When they got dilaudid that was like striking gold to them. The blues were what they always had and stole. Obviously not Valium 10 or the movie wouldn't even be worth watching but definately not stronger than dilaudid (assuming that they are opi's). When they got dilaudid, the blues were nothin'.

This is the way it seemed to me, blues were what they always had, their staple. Dilaudid was what they really prized. Therefore blues cant be oxymorphone, as that would be on par with dilaudid, but rather a weaker opiate that ties them over:

Talwin (Pentazocine) IVd with triplennamine(antihistamine). Ts and Blues

austinslacker
02-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Even Wikipedia states the "blues" were oxymorphone.

"Blues" were also considered to be especially euphoric; comparable to or better than heroin. Numorphan tablets, and the oxymorphone they contained, are the "blues" referred to in the film Drugstore Cowboy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drugstore_Cowboy).
-WIKIPEDIA

Thanat0s
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
can someone kill this damn thing?

pls?

Score_K4
02-17-2010, 10:11 PM
can someone kill this damn thing?

pls?

Before the thread is killed, I would just like to add my two cents. I have of course seen Drugstore Cowboy. I was always curious about oxymorphone, and why the oral Numorphan tables were taken off the market.Why is this shit is back rebranded as Opana, the new chronic pain savior--until that name is associated as the new OxyKiller.

Anyways, my search led me to an article from the New York Press titled Opana: A Brief History. http://www.nypress.com/article-18005-opana-a-brief-history.html. Well the site, of course mentioned that Numorphan tablets were taken off the market in the 70's blah blah blah and so forth. Here's the interesting part that is relevant to this discussion.

"This isn’t the first time oxymorphone hydrochloride has been available in tablet form. Until it was taken off in the market in the 1970s, it was available in 10 milligram tablets under the brand name Numorphan. That was the drug referred to as “blues” in the 1989 Gus Van Sant film, “Drugstore Cowboy,” about a family of traveling drug addicts set in the early 1970s."

I hope that this helps the discussion.

China white
02-17-2010, 10:37 PM
does anyone know if those little vials of pure hydromorphone are still on the market??? Ive never heard of anyone having one of those. And if they are, its probably not something they keep at the pharmacy for give to someone as a script??? how much did that weigh in the movie 1/8 of a gram , does anyone remember???

Michael.
02-17-2010, 10:39 PM
1/8th of an oz I do believe.
don't think they bother with powdered dilaudid for obvious reasons

digby
02-17-2010, 10:58 PM
does anyone know if those little vials of pure hydromorphone are still on the market??? Ive never heard of anyone having one of those. And if they are, its probably not something they keep at the pharmacy for give to someone as a script??? how much did that weigh in the movie 1/8 of a gram , does anyone remember???

There were still available a couple of years ago, primarily for hospice and home health where an R.N. was available to mix up IV solutions with the powder for patients in their homes. With all the buy-outs lately of dilaudid producers, I have no idea if they are still being produced even though Purdue still shows a 250 mg powder vial on their products list. HP dilaudid liquid seems more convenient, but the powder has been available for decades along with the liquid - primarily for custom strength IV's.

Zoops
03-02-2010, 11:13 AM
I thought Matt Dillon's character said at one point in Drugstore Cowboy after shooting up he had "visions of blue's of dilaudid overflowing in the spoon" or something along those lines. This is the part where he is nodding and seeing cows flying around and spoons and hypes and shit floating around.

But maybe they were oxymorphone.

As late as 1994, I was working in an animal hospital and remember seeing a vial of injectable brand-name numorphan (1.5mg/ml). Never got my hands on it though:mad:.

NoEggsForFats?
07-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Sorry to resurrect this wreck of a thread, but I had to definitively settle this once and for all. I found this thread because I just caught the old news story that Fogle, the author of Drugstore Cowboy (the novel, which is true to life), was busted for robbing pharmacies again in the spring.

The movie is very true to the book, and quotes it big time. The scene where you're talking about hearing "Blues of dilaudid" and Hughes is in the back seat after a shot with the hats and the cows flying through the air, is lifted direct from the book, which I have here with me. It reads:

"Bob laughed to himself as he pictured blues or dilaudid in such great quantities that the spoon would literally be overflowing. Upon entering the vein, the drug would start a warm itch..." and on it goes. Blues OR dilaudid. Not blues OF dilaudid.

A little later in the book he says what blues are. After the opening drug score, which in the book is identical to the score in the film, he asks Diane what she wants. It goes:

"Oh I don't know, give me a blue and a couple sixteenths." (meaning sixteenth of a grain, 4mg dilaudid)

Bob frowned. "You think you can handle all that?"
"You Damn right!"
"OK babe," Bob shrugged. "Here you go."
He handed her a ten milligram Numorphan tablet. It was blue and about the size and consistency of an aspirin. It was also a powerful nartcotic, possibly the most powerful known to man. Ten milligrams taken intravenously or intramuscularly would in most cases be considered a lethal dose. Taken along with two sixteenths of dilaudid in the form of two very small white pills, this dose would kill anyone but a confirmed addict. A sixteenth of dilaudid is comparable to a dose of heroin or a half grain of morphine.

I really recommend reading the book, it's a huge blast... I've read it a few times over the years and it always satisfies... and it's an authentic relic of a heist narco-culture that's hardly possible anymore, but for a few well connected and highly skilled operators.