PDA

View Full Version : 30mg oxycodone

Bateman54199
05-01-2009, 10:37 PM
i get 1 every 4 hours. how many can a doc prescribe. can a doc prescribe 2 every 4 hours... etc. ?

Indy
05-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Eleventy-swix.

OxiContinKing
05-01-2009, 11:00 PM
Eleventy-swix.

ROFL.

And not a bit more!

Seriously, though, as far as a legal limit, I dont believe there is one...

Not to say the doc 'is' going to do it, but, he 'could'.

feelings of u4ia
05-01-2009, 11:24 PM
I was prescribed 300 30mg per month. My new doctor just brought me down to 280, stating that no doctor is legally allowed to prescribe more then 240 per month...so he is going to bring me down to 240 over a few months.

lilred0005
05-01-2009, 11:28 PM
I was prescribed 300 30mg per month. My new doctor just brought me down to 280, stating that no doctor is legally allowed to prescribe more then 240 per month...so he is going to bring me down to 240 over a few months.

I heard the same thing, the supposed cut off is 240 per mo. Most ppl I know get 120-180 per mo.

feelings of u4ia
05-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I heard the same thing, the supposed cut off is 240 per mo. Most ppl I know get 120-180 per mo.

That cut-off thing is bullshit. Tolerance, anyone?

Pain Management is about managing pain. So if someone gets over 240 due to tolerance...they are just fucked?

Wtf.

EleusisII
05-01-2009, 11:42 PM
No legal or health-related limit.

But I heard that every time a doctor prescribes more than 2 at a time, baby Jesus sheds a tear...

Indy
05-01-2009, 11:56 PM
I was kinda getting at there being no limit. I just saw the thread about your cat and now i feel bad. There isn't any legal limit, the doctor can prescribe whatever he feels is necessary...as far as i know. Even if there is, you won't reach that limit for a long time. I doubt the doctor is gonna prescribe anywhere near ANY sort of "limit" though.

feelings of u4ia
05-02-2009, 01:14 AM
I was kinda getting at there being no limit. I just saw the thread about your cat and now i feel bad. There isn't any legal limit, the doctor can prescribe whatever he feels is necessary...as far as i know. Even if there is, you won't reach that limit for a long time. I doubt the doctor is gonna prescribe anywhere near ANY sort of "limit" though.

300 Oxycodone 30mg aka 10 a day seems like a decent "limit." I haven't found a doctor that will go over that....most won't go NEAR that...no matter WHAT your history.

jersey_emt
05-02-2009, 01:49 AM

If no doctor is legally allowed to prescribe more than 240 per month, then how is he writing you for 280 per month?

lilred0005
05-02-2009, 03:04 AM
That cut-off thing is bullshit. Tolerance, anyone?

Pain Management is about managing pain. So if someone gets over 240 due to tolerance...they are just fucked?

Wtf.

Hey, you're preachin' to the choir, I totally agree w/ you. What I meant by "cut-off" was that Drs. won't (@ least my experience) usually prescribe over 240 a month because that is supposedly when the DEA starts to notice. All the Drs. I've gone to recently are consumed w/ fear over the DEA & most won't prescribe over 180 per month. I know someone w/ a compassionte Dr. who gets the 240 & that's the number his Dr. said he won't go over either, too much heat. I agree that tolerance is a bitch but many Drs. feel that if your tolerance is that high then they aren't managing your pain adequately.

Madam Oxy
05-02-2009, 03:48 AM
i get 360 a month of these.

But I heard that every time a doctor prescribes more than 2 at a time, baby Jesus sheds a tear...

Tears of JOY!! and He absolutely cries over my script! hahaha

lilred0005
05-02-2009, 10:36 AM
i get 360 a month of these.

Tears of JOY!! and He absolutely cries over my script! hahaha

Damn Madam, you are one lucky chica. My Dr. would stroke out if someone even mentioned that amount...sigh. Must be nice....sigh.

feelings of u4ia
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
If no doctor is legally allowed to prescribe more than 240 per month, then how is he writing you for 280 per month?

Because my previous doctor had me on 300 a month, and he is a smart enough doctor to know that he can't drop me to 240 immediately. He is going to slowly wean me down to 240.

Also, I have heard that no doctor is allowed to write that much, but OBVIOUSLY some do, and they get away with it. If that was the law...then wouldn't you think the pharmacists would be refusing to fill scripts that big? Even chain pharmacies had no problem filling my scripts, so I don't really think the 240 thing is a solid law.

See, even Madam gets 360....plenty of doctors prescribe over 240. But to answer your question, it's because he knows he can't just cut off 60 pills a month from me, especially since I have been at that dose for over a year.

Hey, you're preachin' to the choir, I totally agree w/ you. What I meant by "cut-off" was that Drs. won't (@ least my experience) usually prescribe over 240 a month because that is supposedly when the DEA starts to notice. All the Drs. I've gone to recently are consumed w/ fear over the DEA & most won't prescribe over 180 per month. I know someone w/ a compassionte Dr. who gets the 240 & that's the number his Dr. said he won't go over either, too much heat. I agree that tolerance is a bitch but many Drs. feel that if your tolerance is that high then they aren't managing your pain adequately.

Yeah, I can understand where they are coming from, but also they have to realize that (from what I can remember, but I may not be 100% correct) is that Oxycodone doesn't have like...a ceiling dose, like say...Codeine. So to have a cut-off for it just seems unreasonable.

EleusisII
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Also, I have heard that no doctor is allowed to write that much, but OBVIOUSLY some do, and they get away with it, so I don't really think the 240 thing is a solid law.

Nah, there is no law, and for good reason. There's no ceiling on most opiate, so occasionally you see cancerpatients and others who's been in pain management for many years, who get ridiculous amounts scripted. We're talking grams of morphine or oxycodone a day.
A doctor can pretty much write for whatever he wants, and in whatever quantities, as long as he's prepared to take the shit for it.
The DEA might question the need for somebody to get 1000 Oxy 80's a month, even if the pharmacy fills it.

Medicine isn't always an exact science, the authorities know this, that's why they don't make laws limiting people to a certain amount.

I wonder, however, if your doctor is just stupid or misinformed, or if he's lying to you. I'd be worried in either case.

Uncle Wiggly
05-02-2009, 02:02 PM
I don't think there's is any enforced limit to how many mgs of whatever narcotic one can be prescribed in a month. There may be a recommended limit but it's I'm pretty sure it's up to the prescribing physician.

I'm scripted OxyFast 20mg/mL for BT pain. Each bottle contains 30mL and I get a lot of bottles. (Sorry but I'm not comfortable giving out my drug info on the board.) Yes that's a lot of Oxycodone and yes I'm physically screwed-up.

At least I can still work but it's getting more difficult every year. If I didn't love my job with all my heart and soul I would have went on SSD long ago.

Madam Oxy
05-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Nah, there is no law, and for good reason. There's no ceiling on most opiate, so occasionally you see cancerpatients and others who's been in pain management for many years, who get ridiculous amounts scripted. ey don't make laws limiting people to a certain amount.

You're right...alot of my scripts had to do with being a cancer patient. I had one dr I could get pretty much whatever I wanted from, because I have cancer....what a crock, the cancer is gone, now I'm left with chronic pain. Even tho I've been pre-authorized for fizzies and lollipops, I'm not gonna get them, yes my pain is bad, but my pain is also manageble with the meds I'm on.

My usual scripts are for 300+, 40mg and 20mg oxycontins, because i take either 40, 60, 80mg every 8 hours, and then I get the oxycodone for breakthru. I usually don't use them all. The doctor I have now is wonderful, he knows I'm a human and can make mistakes, just not to many.:D

BigPoppy
05-03-2009, 10:36 AM
I get prescribed 180 every 15 days, but my state does only allow 250 control 2's to be dispensed at one particular time

feelings of u4ia
05-03-2009, 06:08 PM
It seems like information regarding CII narcotics is all over the place. I was told on another thread by multiple people that if you have a prescription for a CII, that you only have 30 days to fill it, and if you don't get it filled within 30 days, it is no longer a valid script. My doctor said you scripts don't expire for at least 6 months, and I think CII's are actually good for up to 12 months in FL based on information I found on the net.

It's hard to say what is true and what is legal or not, because people get told so many different stories by so many different people. My doctor can tell me one thing, and a day later my pharmacist will discredit it, and so on.

If you have a valid medical history, I don't see how 240 would be the max, so my new doctor is starting to worry me by spouting off shit like that.

lilred0005
05-04-2009, 12:17 AM
It seems like information regarding CII narcotics is all over the place. I was told on another thread by multiple people that if you have a prescription for a CII, that you only have 30 days to fill it, and if you don't get it filled within 30 days, it is no longer a valid script. My doctor said you scripts don't expire for at least 6 months, and I think CII's are actually good for up to 12 months in FL based on information I found on the net.

It's hard to say what is true and what is legal or not, because people get told so many different stories by so many different people. My doctor can tell me one thing, and a day later my pharmacist will discredit it, and so on.

If you have a valid medical history, I don't see how 240 would be the max, so my new doctor is starting to worry me by spouting off shit like that.

Maybe it's a Fla thing w/ the 240? Idk but wish I did. My tolerance is really awful after being on the same amt of roxis for over 4 yrs plus my current Dr. took me off my ER med(OxyContin) too. They don't prescribe OxyContin or Methadone, they said there's no such thing as breakthru pain so no one should be on an ER med w/ a IR med. A regular IR med should be enough. Nice...huh. Sadly, other Dr.s I've tried to go to before my current one, wouldn't even touch me. The said I was "over-medicated" @ 180 roxi + 60 OxyC. 40mg. If Fla is filled w/ pill mills, I've yet to find one. My last Dr. before who was wonderful & sympathetic prescribed me 60 O.C. 40mg + 210 roxi 30mg. This worked very very well & Red was happy until the DEA stormed his office, say goodnight. I just don't get it.....sigh.

deltapsik0
05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Maybe it's a Fla thing w/ the 240? Idk but wish I did. My tolerance is really awful after being on the same amt of roxis for over 4 yrs plus my current Dr. took me off my ER med(OxyContin) too. They don't prescribe OxyContin or Methadone, they said there's no such thing as breakthru pain so no one should be on an ER med w/ a IR med. A regular IR med should be enough. Nice...huh. Sadly, other Dr.s I've tried to go to before my current one, wouldn't even touch me. The said I was "over-medicated" @ 180 roxi + 60 OxyC. 40mg. If Fla is filled w/ pill mills, I've yet to find one. My last Dr. before who was wonderful & sympathetic prescribed me 60 O.C. 40mg + 210 roxi 30mg. This worked very very well & Red was happy until the DEA stormed his office, say goodnight. I just don't get it.....sigh.

Your doc could be doing the right thing for 100's of patients, but all it takes is one incident to attract attention, and then everyone else suffers because the doctor "took care" of a friend, or friend of a friend.

We are all human after all, even the doctors !

seven10kids
05-06-2009, 01:27 PM
I dont understand if everyone is having problems filling scripts why don't you just order them from the Wallgreens or CVS online?

Doesnt that make sense?

jersey_emt
05-07-2009, 02:21 PM
I dont understand if everyone is having problems filling scripts why don't you just order them from the Wallgreens or CVS online?

Doesnt that make sense?

Nobody is talking about having problems filling scripts here. They are talking about problems getting the scripts from the doctor.

seven10kids
05-07-2009, 02:46 PM
well, then, why dont they mail off the prescritions to CVS or Wallgreens or whatever?

I have a friend that gets 40s of OC and he gets 3 month supply at once. I saw it too. And if you need 300, or some bigger number, they could probably fill that online. They come from the factory and they are usually never out.

jcmanny
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM

I'm sure you've thought of this but why not have the doctor switch to 40 mgs? Good luck with your pain management.

jersey_emt
05-07-2009, 04:00 PM
well, then, why dont they mail off the prescritions to CVS or Wallgreens or whatever?

I have a friend that gets 40s of OC and he gets 3 month supply at once. I saw it too. And if you need 300, or some bigger number, they could probably fill that online. They come from the factory and they are usually never out.

Again, people are not talking about issues getting scripts for large quantities filled...but getting their doctor to prescribe those large quantities in the first place.

As per your friend, under (federal) law, CII's are supposed to be one month's supply per prescription. You can get prescriptions for up to 90 days, but they are supposed to be three separate prescriptions, one dated today, one 30 days from now, and one 60 days from now. And those post-dated prescriptions are not supposed to be filled until those dates. I'm sure that some people may somehow get around this (like your friend), but under the law, it technically isn't allowed. Most people here like it that way...having 30 day's worth of meds at once is already too tempting, having 90 days worth would be a disaster for a lot of people. With 30 day scripts, many people here will blow through that in three weeks, in some cases, in two weeks, or even less time. That same person might blow through 90 days worth of medication in a month.

feelings of u4ia
05-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm sure you've thought of this but why not have the doctor switch to 40 mgs? Good luck with your pain management.

By 30mg, I meant IR Oxycodone aka Roxi's. I am already prescribed to 80mg Oxycontin.

digby
05-07-2009, 05:35 PM
While there is no actual limit a doctor must adhere to, the DEA does become a presence when the numbers get too large. My doctor says he used to prescribe over a thousand dilaudid tablets to some of his most severe pain patients 10 or 15 years ago. But the DEA would frown on the practice now.

It also seems that the number of pills is more important than the size of the pill. Thus a script for 1200 five mg oxy tablets would get more attention than script for 200 oxy 30's, even though the amount of active chemical is the same. Even so, I know several patients getting 350+ scripts for oxy 30's or dilaudids, so it does happen. Just not often.