PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Tagamet Dose?

OxiContinKing
04-28-2009, 07:05 PM
Is there one? Is there a point where too much tagamet can be negative? I'm sure at some point it cant be good, but exactly how much tagamet would that be?

Is there a ceiling dose for tagamet? Like, taking more than 2 or 3 pills wont do any better than taking, say 4 or 5?

Ive searched around, even asked on another thread, all with no luck.

hovadagod
04-28-2009, 07:14 PM
I would imagine that there is a point where you have no acid left in your stomach but I really don't have much tagamet experience. I only took 1 or 2 max when I used them.

OxiContinKing
04-29-2009, 08:05 AM
If I dont take 3, I dont even feel like I've dosed.

Sucks, I need an increase and to stop taking tagamet for awhile.

Nobody has any light they can shed on this subject?

barbiegal
04-29-2009, 08:16 AM
It's funny you should ask this. I have an ulcer and ended up in the urgent care on sunday. I take 2 different rx anti-acids and eat a lot of Gaviscon. When I told the Dr. of these meds he said I was taking too much anti-acid medication and that it's not good because then the stomach has no acid. I don't know about Tagamet,I take Prilosec,but It probably does the same thing if you take too much. I know people use Tagamet to potentiate, but if your stomach starts bothering you,it's probably too much. Does anyone know of another type anti-acid that potentiates?

OxiContinKing
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
It's funny you should ask this. I have an ulcer and ended up in the urgent care on sunday. I take 2 different rx anti-acids and eat a lot of Gaviscon. When I told the Dr. of these meds he said I was taking too much anti-acid medication and that it's not good because then the stomach has no acid. I don't know about Tagamet,I take Prilosec,but It probably does the same thing if you take too much. I know people use Tagamet to potentiate, but if your stomach starts bothering you,it's probably too much. Does anyone know of another type anti-acid that potentiates?

I havent had any stomach problems as of yet, but Ive only been doing the tagamet thing for about 2 months now, I guess, maybe a little longer. (And yes, I am using them to potenate).

Obviously, I know very little as far as when it comes to tagamet, but I believe that the active ingredient that you are looking for when you are looking for a potentator in acid reducers is cimetidine, and (im really not sure about this, this is only what I've heard from others, so please dont quote me, and excuse me if im wrong) but tagamet is the only acid reducer with cimetidine as the only active ingredient, so I believe its the best to use?

xannyman
04-29-2009, 09:42 AM
Personally, I have only taken a max of 2 at a time and try to use them sparingly so no tolerance develops even if it can with tagament. But I have heard from my Dr. that too much acid reducer is not good either because you have no acid in your stomach. That's just my $.02.

Deadfiend
05-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Ha guys I know the shit is high, so I always have, but it lats me a long time, 8.99 off brand Walgreens all the Actives are the same but if you want the tagaet its like 12 bucks, well I just went to Family doller and there was there brand for only 2 bucks, so go there if you want some and save some cash.

Brony
05-10-2009, 06:39 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that Tagament is only effective for certain opiates that are metabolized by a certain receptor. I'll see if Rescorcinol can answer this.

OxiContinKing
05-10-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm not 100% positive, but I'm pretty sure that Tagament is only effective for certain opiates that are metabolized by a certain receptor. I'll see if Rescorcinol can answer this.

Thanks Bron ... Anyone care to elaborate?

CrushNSniff
05-11-2009, 01:15 AM
swim is avid tagamet user ever since he found out about it on this site and from swims experience the tagamet works best with oral based meds. swim never noticed much potentiation when taking oxy nasally but try it with oral morphine or oxy and its a world of difference. Suddenly two vics feel like four, two bars feels like three. swim swears by the stuff, his dose is: orally two 200mg tagamets, 20ml robo dm, and maybe some benedryl if swims feeling sleepy :) followed by one more 200mg 30minutes later so to occupy the liver and stop it from metabolizing whatever goodies have been eaten.

As I understood it but I might be wrong, the tagamet occupies the liver enzymes and instead of processing the good stuff its occupied by the tagamet so it has to finish that first. swim really should add gf juice to his routine to kick it up a notch because the gfj occupies different liver enzymes.

bottom line: it definatly kicks up oral hydrocodone, oxycontin, morphine, xanax, klonopin but swim never noticed any increase in nasal h or oxy but thats only anecdotal evidence from swim :cool: and anytime smoked after tagamet no noticable differences were felt. I've always been a longtime heartburn sufferer and when I found out I could kill two stones with one bird :D I jumped on that, but now on off days if I dont take it my stomach hates me like stabbing knives and super heartburn

ock: ceiling dose not sure but swim takes 3 at a time maybe 3-4 times a day

after I finished typing this post I saw this is in the methadone sub-forum and I dont have any experience with that and tagamet but I did a quick search and the info pamphlet doesn't indicate against using tagamet and gjf like the xanax warnings do, i wonder if its all synthetics that it doesn't affect?

-CrushNSniff
Lather.Rinse.Repeat

dugwylor
05-11-2009, 02:26 AM
Ha guys I know the shit is high, so I always have, but it lats me a long time, 8.99 off brand Walgreens all the Actives are the same but if you want the tagaet its like 12 bucks, well I just went to Family doller and there was there brand for only 2 bucks, so go there if you want some and save some cash.
Holy shit, that's the best news I've heard all week. Thanks.

Thebane
05-11-2009, 02:40 AM

Since Rescorcinol hasn't shown up yet, I'll just say this is right, but to clarify, it's a lot of different meds (including most if not all opiates with the possible exception of codeine) and benzos and countless other non-fun drugs which tagamet messes up the metabolism of. I'm pretty sure it's not only a few opiates but all or at least most of the typical ones - except maybe codeine, like I said, because some people think tagamet inhibits the enzyme which turns codeine into morphine (this process is responsible for most of codeine's opioid effect), whether this is true or not of concerning codeine I don't know, since I've never seen an actual scientific study or journal article addressing the issue.

Basically, if it's an opiate (can't speak for opioids) and not a pro-drug then there's a really good chance tagamet will potentiate it (whether you feel it or not is another story). Hopefully Rescorcinol can answer which specific opiates if any tagamet doesn't potentiate.

resorcinol
05-11-2009, 03:20 AM
Tagamet will only make a real difference for drugs that are catabolically destroyed (turned into not active substances) by CYP2D6 and also have a poor oral bioavailability (CYP2D6 is present in the GI tract also).

In the case of say, oxycodone, tagamet is not gonna help much if at all ... in fact, cyp2d6 produces oxymorphone, a much stronger opioid, so why inhibit such a conversion? Oxycodone also has a high oral bioavailability.

With morphine, CYP2D6 (and 3A4 which cimetidine also inhibits) produce inactive metabolites, although glucuronidation is a primary direct pathway (but not in the GI tract). So morphine orally (or pod tea) benifit the most.

To more selectively inhibit 3A4, try WGFJ (most of us already know this) or if you really want to disable the hell out of 3A4 take ritonavir (the antiviral drug .... it won't kill ya but it COULD kill ya if you underestimate it's 3A4 disabling power. Taking MDMA is extremely dangerous with ritonavir due to powerful 3A4 inhibition which MDMA depends on, where with WGFJ it will possibly extend the duration and make the crash rougher but isn't really dangerous unless you drink a really huge amount of it).

As far as a maximum dose? I've taken up to 1600 mg before to stretch pod supplies, but that might not be safe for some people and I wouldn't recommend taking massive doses of drugs without really knowing for sure. I can say that I think it has a pretty large therapeutic index, and my gram plus doses would support that (note: it does not seem to make a difference over 600 mg for morphine potentiation, though. I might have just taken 600 mg and got the same results without wasting tagamet pills).

Synack
05-11-2009, 08:59 AM
To off-set the effects of tagamet after you've achieved your high - you can take hydrochloric acid supplements to increase the digestive acids...

egizzel417
06-02-2009, 04:24 AM
ditch the tagment and go plant you a grapefruit tree ;)

sullen
06-02-2009, 07:44 AM
6 was the most i've taken, i believe on 70 or 80mg.
it didn't seem to do much more than the usual dose 2 or 3 i was taking.

plies
06-02-2009, 11:54 AM
6 was the most i've taken, i believe on 70 or 80mg.
it didn't seem to do much more than the usual dose 2 or 3 i was taking.

id be careful, i took tagamet to potentiate for a long time and im sure its what me deadly stomach pain, for which i have been to the ER for.