PDA

View Full Version : Opiates + High fat foods

Papa Verine
04-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I've read here about the opiate potentiating effects of a high-fat meal, and I find this to be superior to any other potentiators.

I drink A lot of poppy tea on the days I get high. It's hard to drink so much liquid so I started using peanut butter to get myself thirsty again after each cup.

I will eat several tbsps. of peanut butter after each cup. I read the label on my particular brand and there's 17 grams of fat per tablespoon. I'm eating about 70 grams of fat after each cup and throughout the day that adds up to A LOT of fat!

I've done the grapefruit juice thing, the tagamet thing, benzos... anything I could come up with. I think FAT is the best potentiator for me. I get much better results when I eat the PB, then when I don't. I get the worst results when I just drink my tea and eat nothing.

Does anyone know why this would work??? I'm sure it's been explained here before but I'm having a hard time with the search engine.

Anyone here who drinks tea or takes oral pharms... give this a try.

losangeleslifer
04-14-2009, 12:14 PM
I have to agree with the high fat sentiment.

Seems I always enjoy my goodies after a meal high in fat. Peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches are what I like to eat before a fat shot and after with chocolate candy. I don't know why I crave chocolate so much when high, but I think it has something to do with a chemical in the chocolate.

nick
04-14-2009, 12:35 PM
No idea if it really works,but any excuse for a cheeseburger or chocolate bar is cool with me.

MrCharlesIV
04-14-2009, 12:44 PM
Isn't because opiates get into your bloodstream through fat cells or something like that?

LorTabitha
04-14-2009, 01:20 PM
I've noticed that high fat foods definitely potentiate my tramadol. I get almost twice the pain relief when I add fatty foods to my regimen and eat them directly after taking my trams.

It doesn't work as well for hydro, oxy, dillies, etc. but it does help a little, so I try to remember to have a snack after my other meds go down the hatch. ;) Every little bit helps, especially when my tolerance rises to stupidly high levels.

marshalldylan1
04-14-2009, 01:34 PM
I agree! Eating a big ass meal from burger king right after you popped what ever pill definetly makes it come on stronger.

Back when I was just a vichead we would take our dose, then eat a huge fatty meal and it would come on sooo much stronger. Whenever I would take vicodin without eating, it was only so-so. I had to eat a meal everytime I dose.

With pods, if I eat the grounds then eat a high fat meal I feel it better, but haven't noticed much with the tea(mainly cause drinking the tea kills my appetite)

losangeleslifer
04-14-2009, 04:16 PM
No idea if it really works,but any excuse for a cheeseburger or chocolate bar is cool with me.

All in the name of.

Ickyuck
04-14-2009, 04:17 PM

same here.

lilred0005
04-14-2009, 04:47 PM
I know this is true because I read it in a medical journal @ the library back when I started on pain meds. I remember reading that high fat meals increase levels by as much as 30%. Not bad, huh. However, I usually find myself taking my meds alone on an empty stomach purely out of habit.

pokergooch
04-15-2009, 01:00 AM
High fat meals do potentiate. With the 160mg OC pill, the warnings say that you can get up to 25 percent more drug into your system by eating a high fat meal. the other sizes dont come with that warning (I think) but I dont see why it wouldnt. Opana actually has a warning on the prescription bottle to take one hour before eating or 2 hours after (or visa-versa)

I would think that your liver has to metabolize the fat hence letting the opiates thru. At least thats my opinion.

PG

God_Albino
04-15-2009, 03:46 AM
oh fuck yeah, i ate the worst when i could actually get a buzz off oxy, i just wanted mcdonalds and garbage like another drug almost, eating cheesy greasy food constantly, then when the weekly shit came it was like passing a camel through the eye of a needle.

pinn3d
04-15-2009, 04:13 AM
Yup=== You can count me in as yet another who has witnessed the potentiating effects of a high-fat meal eaten with opiates.....for me it seems any comfort food works great....... seems to get the digestive tract all happy, and more willingto process the opiates along with the comfort food or something....... I think this worked better in the earlier months of P. Straw usage...... I still notice the fatty-food-opiate-connection nowadays, but its just not as pronounced as it was in the beginning.......

SHELLEY
04-15-2009, 04:25 AM
does that work with methadone too?

God_Albino
04-15-2009, 04:51 AM
methadones always taken away my appetite, i cant force myself to eat shit like that anymore. it always works better for me if i take it on an empty stomach anyway

ariesss
04-18-2009, 11:04 AM
I have noticed this too, usually after I do some oc I'll get higher if I eat say McDonalds or something similar. Would it be more effective to eat the food first?

pokergooch
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
I have noticed this too, usually after I do some oc I'll get higher if I eat say McDonalds or something similar. Would it be more effective to eat the food first?

Probably, Just yesterday, I took my normal amount of Opana and about 20 minutes later ate a steak and philly cream cheese sandwich. Before I ate it, I just felt the normal glow, then about 5 minutes after eating, the glow hit 3x harder.. But eating right before would be the best, imho...

PG

OxyBlowBall2
04-19-2009, 03:19 AM
i always want to eat wendys or mcdonalds or some shit after i dose anyways for some reason but when i do it does seem like my oc feels stronger after eating that stuff.

BlueMajick
04-19-2009, 03:38 AM
According to this one guy I know, one of the most memorable, best feeling highs they've ever had in recent memory (besides the first few times) was while watching Pulp Fiction (the first part with vincent and the royale with cheese talk, heroin use, etc. When Vincent shot up, so did my friend, and they started feeling really great. When the two in the movie went to the diner to get a bloody as hell steak and fancy 5 dollar shake, my friend paused the film, went to mcdonalds, got a quarter pounder, or big mac, something like that, and fries, and a large vanilla shake, came back and ate that while continuing to watching, and watch John Travoltas' acting of someone high on heroin/opiate, which my friend always thought was pretty spot on. Anyway, whilst eating this food they felt even better, and afterward felt really great (better than normal) for about an hour after eating.

HandMeSomeOpiates
04-21-2009, 08:52 PM
*Takes 4 Norco, Picks up keys, and rushes to Burger King to grab 6 Burger Shots*

Synack
04-24-2009, 03:56 PM
*Takes 4 Norco, Picks up keys, and rushes to Burger King to grab 6 Burger Shots*

/Me envies you...

I figure the 24 hour dose of my meds is equal to 270mg of hydrocodone ... I wish 4 norco's would do it.

hovadagod
04-24-2009, 03:57 PM
270mg of hydrocodone is weaker than you remember.

mikey5string
04-24-2009, 08:02 PM
a quarter pounder with d's mmmmm.

HandMeSomeOpiates
04-25-2009, 05:39 PM
/Me envies you...

I figure the 24 hour dose of my meds is equal to 270mg of hydrocodone ... I wish 4 norco's would do it.
ya I was taking 20-25 a day but after moving and losing connections im down to 6-8 a day. Maybe its a good thing :p

Badly Drawn Girl
04-26-2009, 12:07 AM
I get much better results when I eat the PB, then when I don't.

Interesting. Since getting on mmt I've been inhaling anything that combines chocolate with peanut butter. Reese's PB cups are damn near orgasmic to me, especially right after my dose. I eat a candy bar every morning after I visit the clinic. I know that I have a terrible sweet tooth since going on the 'done but I never thought about the fat content having an effect.

NOLA
04-26-2009, 01:15 AM
Interesting. Since getting on mmt I've been inhaling anything that combines chocolate with peanut butter. Reese's PB cups are damn near orgasmic to me, especially right after my dose. I eat a candy bar every morning after I visit the clinic. I know that I have a terrible sweet tooth since going on the 'done but I never thought about the fat content having an effect.

Yeah, I used to always stop for Coffee + Chocolate Chip poptarts on my way home from MMT.

I'm hating Bupe though, I really want to switch back.

fassbinder
04-27-2009, 01:12 PM
I thought this was a harm reduction place. Please don't eat McDonald's. That shit is worse for you than smack. Peanut butter might be okay, especially the natural peanut butter (it might even be more potentiating because of the oil) - but don't eat fast food.

duck
04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
I thought this was a harm reduction place. Please don't eat McDonald's. That shit is worse for you than smack. Peanut butter might be okay, especially the natural peanut butter (it might even be more potentiating because of the oil) - but don't eat fast food.

Oh god, unnatural peanut better?!

LOL.

Could you please explain the be in clear detail how natural peanut butter is better for you than "unnatural" peanut butter?

fassbinder
04-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Oh god, unnatural peanut better?!

LOL.

Could you please explain the be in clear detail how natural peanut butter is better for you than "unnatural" peanut butter?

No problem. This is from bakingbites.com

Your most basic peanut butter contains just peanuts and some oil to help the peanuts blend together into a smooth paste. There are two distinct types of peanut butter: “regular” and “natural”. “Regular” is the term I’ll use to define your standard peanut butter and jelly sandwich peanut butter, and a category that includes most easy to find national brands. It’s creamy and thick, even at room temperature, and usually has salt and sugar in addition to peanuts in the recipe. “Natural” peanut butter is much thinner than regular peanut butter at room temperature, and tends to be extra firm when chilled. It rarely has extra ingredients added to it and it separates easily into the oil and peanuts used to make the butter.

TL;DR Natural peanut butter doesn't have the sugar and preservatives that JIF and Peter Pan do, and I think it has more oil, especially when you're getting down to the bottom of the jar and it's like half oil/half pb. I was thinking that the oil in natural peanut butter may be a better conduit for fat than grease from a big mac or the sugar from standard pb.

Don't take me seriously though. I honestly don't know much about nutrition besides fast food is bad for you/ exercise is good for you.

Badly Drawn Girl
04-27-2009, 05:44 PM

While I certainly understand the sentiment, preaching healthful living to a board of junkies is sort of funny. If I was really worried about my health, I'd probably avoid drugs too. :)

fassbinder
04-27-2009, 10:00 PM
While I certainly understand the sentiment, preaching healthful living to a board of junkies is sort of funny. If I was really worried about my health, I'd probably avoid drugs too. :)

I know, it's awful - I'm very particular about what I put in my stomach, but I'll put just about anything into my veins. The thought of a Whopper makes me nauseous, but cat litter with a little dope mixed in will make my mouth water.

abner
04-28-2009, 06:43 AM
know exactly what ya mean. for years, my mom was an inside sales rep for a naturaly specialty food broker. listening to her rhetoric kinda turned me into a pansie when it comes to eating/drinking. atm, i'm drinking a sparkling cucumber beverage by knudsens, : /

jackflash
06-08-2009, 01:30 AM
I've noticed years ago that if I dose and then eat a steak with fat that the buzz is much better. I thought it was just me.

superman
06-09-2009, 12:12 AM
I've noticed years ago that if I dose and then eat a steak with fat that the buzz is much better. I thought it was just me.

A great steak rocks me all by itself!! And I get just as high on a perfect rack of ribs.

I find that dope enhances the beef buzz... not so much the other way around though for any other food...

.......except yogurt... when I stir my grounds into yogurt (no knuckles or crowns) it's truly like nothing else i've tried it works so perfect and reliably...

oxymoron530
07-08-2009, 02:38 AM
I actually noticed that once, when my high was just starting to kick in, I went to my favorite restaurant and got New York steak and garlic shrimp, with a baked potato. Not only did the pills seem to make the food taste better (I thought I was going to have a stroke from the deliciosity), but afterwards I felt SO GOOD. High as a kite, man.

blenderqueen
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM
Interesting! Good info. thanks:). I have often wondered if I could be hindering the effects of my meds by giving in to my sometimes intense food cravings after taking them. now I know I need not worry. yay! (as I chow down on some peanut chews.......) lol

djbrutis
07-16-2009, 02:13 PM
So, anyone know the better time to eat the high-fat meal? before or right after?! and how long before/after?

hydro chris
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Probably, Just yesterday, I took my normal amount of Opana and about 20 minutes later ate a steak and philly cream cheese sandwich. Before I ate it, I just felt the normal glow, then about 5 minutes after eating, the glow hit 3x harder.. But eating right before would be the best, imho...
PG
agree i was just gonna mention this about opana, it the only drug that i actually notice the boost.foshezzie -no doubt about it.

timothy.s.c
07-25-2009, 04:31 PM
I notice a GREAT boost even with hydrocodone. I have actually added some fat to my dosing regimen because of it. Im skinny and get plenty of exercise (well, not now because of a knee injury) so im not too worried about it. I think the ideal for me is to dose then eat about 20 mins later. I have these Kirkland Trail Mix packs with M&M's that is actually 3 servings for a total of 30g of fat which are delicious btw. I can eat them anytime during the earlier/better half of the high and i get about a 25% or so increase in intensity. I suppose it could be placebo but it feels so much stronger I doubt it.
the other day i did this when i went into the math tutoring building at school and boy oh boy did i feel it increase. I was making countless silly mistakes.

Papa Verine
07-25-2009, 05:48 PM
I know, it's awful - I'm very particular about what I put in my stomach, but I'll put just about anything into my veins. The thought of a Whopper makes me nauseous, but cat litter with a little dope mixed in will make my mouth water.

That's fuckin hilarious. Hey, fassbinder, I don't mind that natural peanut butter. I had a little tub of it, and that's actually what I was using, until I ran out and got some Peter fuckin Pan. I think you're right, but there's not A lot of sugar in the processed shit... still a good amount of fat.

When I made this post I was thinking about high fat foods and specifically poppy tea. Because oral morphine has a poor oral bio-availability, there's much room for improvement, by any means possible, to inhibit it from passing too quickly through our system. Wasted... literally down the toilet...

Funkit
12-05-2009, 12:34 PM
My second DOC is sugar cookies from Publix.. I eat 3/4 a box every time I dose! The M and M cookies from 7-11 also "potentiate" things for me as well :p

OverDriven
12-05-2009, 01:24 PM
This thanksgiving I stuffed myself with every food known to man and took my normal pod dose afterward. There was a DEFINITE difference. It actually caught me off guard because it was so much stronger than usual.

euphoricontin17
12-05-2009, 02:15 PM
Holy shit, I can't believe someone actually started this! Great job papa v, I thought I was the only one. I ALWAYS go to mcdonalds after dosing/shooting usually has more pronounced effect with oral use though. Anyway, I get a large fry and just shovel it all in my mouth as fast as possible Right when the oral onset kicks in.

I swear this results in a phenominon known as the Foodgasm no shit! What happens is there is so much greasy fattening food in your mouth and your so happy already and the food tastes so good, that you start sweating and are almost paralyzed because it tastes/feels so fucking good. I can remember almost fucking moaning in the booth at mcdonalds once!

digby
12-05-2009, 04:16 PM
Great. Just when I was getting into the spirit to perhaps lose a few pounds, new information surfaces. Any recipe that calls for water, substitute cooking oil. Using a greasy syringe only one time could be construed as harm reduction couldn't it? :o

DCBA
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
The Blood Brain Barrier is more permeable to lipids (fats), fats cross it more rapidly.
Opiates are almost always lipid soluble also, specially the free bases. Maybe opiates dissolve or merge molecules in/to fats after doing them with a fat meal or ingesting a fat meal while they are absorving from the G.I. tract. So... Maybe... The opiates molecules merged with fats are more lipid soluble and because of that they can cross the blood brain barrier quicker.

For an example: look how heroin (diamorfine) is about 2.2 times more powerful then morphine, all because its more lipid soluble and because of that enters the BBB more rapidly and then is almost instantly converted to morphine, so its the morfine thats causing the effects mostly but the more rapid entry made it 2.2times more powerfull.

I think its a good theory of mine, and it has logic, but never seen it anywhere else.

If this is true than almost all drugs that produce a rush when entering the brain may benefict with this too if they are ingested orally with fat food.

I also note the fat boost effect, even on methadone, on the early days of MMT i used it to hit faster/harder. I would eat bacon in bread with lots of cheese and drank a bit of fat milk with another different boosters, black chocolate and coffee. But these boosters are another story, chocolate cause the south american Indians used it too boost almost everything they took and i trust their knowledge very much. The coffee because it contains caffeine which is consider a booster for almost anything alt ought with not much evidence of it.

OverDriven
12-05-2009, 05:01 PM
Holy shit, I can't believe someone actually started this! Great job papa v, I thought I was the only one. I ALWAYS go to mcdonalds after dosing/shooting usually has more pronounced effect with oral use though. Anyway, I get a large fry and just shovel it all in my mouth as fast as possible Right when the oral onset kicks in.

I swear this results in a phenominon known as the Foodgasm no shit! What happens is there is so much greasy fattening food in your mouth and your so happy already and the food tastes so good, that you start sweating and are almost paralyzed because it tastes/feels so fucking good. I can remember almost fucking moaning in the booth at mcdonalds once!

What the fuck???

chopstix
12-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I notice the effect, but I'm not convinced it has anything to do with fat content. Anytime I eat a handfull of pills, if I wait until I start to feel them, then eat something (I don't eat a lot of fat and it doesn't seem to matter what it is I eat), the onset suddenly becomes stronger within 10-15minutes.

I attribute it to the new food pushing the existing stomach contents into the duodenum, where there are a ton of blood vessels for absorption. Not arguing that lipid soluble compounds may be better digested and absorbed aided with some fatty food, but in my experience, it seems the mere act of eating :45-1:30hrs after dosing orally almost always gives me a nice boost..

FWIW, this is usually with either hydrocodone or pod tea..

blackman
12-05-2009, 05:15 PM
I've never heard of this before.
It's really really interesting. I gotta try it.

@Chopstix: so you don't notice a difference between fatty and "healthy" foods, huh?
Makes sense I guess. Would your body be able to absorb the fat from the food as fast as thirty minutes?
Cause it seems most people are saying it "comes on" harder. You might be right and it's just that you're eating something that makes you feel the way you do.

I dunno. This just sounds really cool.

30_Units
12-05-2009, 05:42 PM
The mind is a great thing. Even if this is all bs, since we're all talking about how great it is, it won't matter, and we'll never know!

The number of times I say ^ that a day can really get up there sometimes.

Someone could start a thread telling us that shoving whole pills down one's dickhole *up to the ureters for the ladies* gets drugs into you faster, and as long as new people came forward saying 'it worked! And I really noticed they me got higher this way!' That thread would go epic.

But that's just our little thing.

Normal people see shit like new moon and HAVE TO SEE IT because hey, that gets normies' fantasy-factory off and a'runnin! That's their drugs! Or that NEW CAR! or THAT NEW HOUSE! Or this TOASTER!

People man. All from this big lump of wrinkly grey meat.

blackman
12-05-2009, 06:34 PM
The mind is a great thing. Even if this is all bs, since we're all talking about how great it is, it won't matter, and we'll never know!

The number of times I say ^ that a day can really get up there sometimes.

Someone could start a thread telling us that shoving whole pills down one's dickhole *up to the ureters for the ladies* gets drugs into you faster, and as long as new people came forward saying 'it worked! And I really noticed they me got higher this way!' That thread would go epic.

But that's just our little thing.

Normal people see shit like new moon and HAVE TO SEE IT because hey, that gets normies' fantasy-factory off and a'runnin! That's their drugs! Or that NEW CAR! or THAT NEW HOUSE! Or this TOASTER!

People man. All from this big lump of wrinkly grey meat.

^^^This post is awesome, bro! Seriously. I'd rep you but I've gotta get more people before I can rep you again.

I think I'll try the dickhole method. Got any pointers for me? Lube, No Lube?.....Lube, right.

30_Units
12-05-2009, 06:40 PM
I'd digress further, but that'd be a rather moot point. I think it would probably end up on plugging high-fat meals. Plus the help doesn't like it when we mess up the place.

/takes off shoes, steps out of thread

blackman
12-05-2009, 06:48 PM
I'd digress further, but that'd be a rather moot point. I think it would probably end up on plugging high-fat meals. Plus the help doesn't like it when we mess up the place.

/takes off shoes, steps out of thread

Na, it wasn't just the peehole stuff. I actually thought the new moon line was the best.

It's a really clever/funny way to say how amazing the brain and subjectivity can be together.
I guess anything will work if you want it too. I like to think of it that way. There's no need to be a partypooper to yourself.

I swear to god man, I'm gonna eat a peanutbutter sandwich with my sub tomorrow and get ripped!

paroxetina
12-05-2009, 07:00 PM
Normally, I find taking opiates on an empty stomach works best, although when I had a few opana to experiment with, I did find taking them with peanut butter gave me a stronger effect. I tried it because I'd read it, so perhaps it was just the power of suggestion.

30_Units
12-06-2009, 06:27 AM
werd-that's all I meant. Subjectivity. We're all so different in how we like to get high and enjoy that high. I guess a better way to have put it would have been that 'we're just funny animals.'

DCBA
12-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I only notice the effect when i ingest high fat foods, if i ingest other food type it decreases the effect instead of increasing, so its not just the food content playing something in the GI tract...
And its prooven than most drugs (including opiates) are less absorved when ingested on a full/not empty stomach, so its just not the food, it must be the fats..

goodgirlgonebad
01-24-2010, 06:41 PM
OMG I never realized this was actually a "real thing"! I thought it was just me! When I get a good buzz going on, all I want to do is eat...and the food tastes AMAZING. Like a million times better than it normally does. As I sit here (with a great buzz) eating peanut butter cookie dough...and I have mozzarella sticks in the oven, LOL! I was always afraid that eating would take away from the absorption, kinda like the emptier the stomach the more that would get in your blood. But I guess not! Forgive me if this was answered already in the post, I only read the first 2 pages...is it best to eat before taking the drugs or after?

whiterobot122
03-01-2010, 01:23 PM
I totally agree, I actually ate a high fat meal while taking 10mg less methadone than my normal dose, and I actually feel a buzz, nice and relaxed, eyes are dry, its nice!

Papa Verine
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
I noticed this with poppy tea. I also tried it because I read it here. I wasn't the first one to "invent" this one.

Here's something else I've noticed.

I have to chug down large cups of liquid (It's the nature of poppy seed tea). If I drink my tea with NO food I start pissing like crazy. It makes sense... you chug 32 oz. of whatever, you're gonna' start pissing.

However... when I chug my tea with a high fat meal, I urinate like normal. I retain the liquids much longer (apparently?)

This has to mean something. I mean... there is some science to this whether I understand it or not.

Who can explain this pissing phenomenon? And how might it be related to food-potentiation?

I'm not even so sure this works at all with pharmaceuticals, or other forms of opiates, but with a tall glass of water+opium+whatever else... I'm 100% sure it works and it's not just in my head.

Nobody here wants to know what's in my head!

DollaSignAL
03-02-2010, 12:16 PM
I was always afraid that eating would take away from the absorption, kinda like the emptier the stomach the more that would get in your blood. But I guess not!

Me too, I've dosed on an empty stomach too many times, like a dummy haha! That's why I love this website tho, you learn somethin' new errr day 'round hurrr :cloud9:

bearmtn2
03-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Normally, I find taking opiates on an empty stomach works best, although when I had a few opana to experiment with, I did find taking them with peanut butter gave me a stronger effect. I tried it because I'd read it, so perhaps it was just the power of suggestion.
Gotta disagree a bit here. Having food on the stomach will take away from the initial rush. The food dilutes the absorption of the opiate initially. Take the opiate on empty stomach, wait 15-40 minutes, then eat high fat food. The nutrient molecules then act as a carrier for the opiate molecules instead of a dilution. My 2 cents anyway, but I'm usually full of BS. :p

JonnyM
03-06-2010, 08:38 PM
I remember me and Ickyuck were having a conversation probably a year ago about this; we found that in the Oxycontin medical insert it says:

Food Effects
Food has no significant effect on the extent of absorption of oxycodone from OxyContin.
However, the peak plasma concentration of oxycodone increased by 25% when a OxyContin
160 mg Tablet was administered with a high-fat meal."

You can find the full insert as a PDF here (http://forum.opiophile.org/www.purduepharma.com/PI/Prescription/Oxycontin.pdf).

Interesting.

MissLow
03-06-2010, 09:09 PM
fatty foods ftw..
i saved a stupidly small amount from a shot this morning, and just had it before.
as soon as i was done i chowed a whole bag of CC's and another whole bag of snickers pods and I was almost back to nodding!!

a potentiator that actually works, and is super tasty.... word..