PDA

View Full Version : Best way to re-wash your cottons?

krinkov
04-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Well, I'm out of dope for the rest of the night and part of tomorrow so it's time to scrounge up something. I've got a bunch of cottons sitting around and want to do a rewash. So, what is the best method for doing that? Lets hear the ways you do it!!

kjjy
04-04-2009, 01:33 AM
The way I do it now is put them in my mouth then spit in toilet.

I learned this method the hard way.

krinkov
04-04-2009, 01:51 AM
The way I do it now is put them in my mouth then spit in toilet.

I learned this method the hard way.

LOL!! WUT??

StackBundles
04-04-2009, 02:17 AM
Duke, you will get sick as a mutha' fucka' if you do that. I believe that was the point of kjjy's post. Mold and bacteria abound in them cottons. Your best bet is to either chew them bitches like a Skoal bandit or wash them out and keister the solution.

libertine
04-04-2009, 03:11 AM
nahh don't listen to these airplaners, you gotta do what you gotta do, just put said cottons in spoon, add a small amt. of water mash the fuck out of them with the plunger, let them sit, mash s'more, let them sit until they are clean again, (they'll be flat as shit and white)

i never used any heat, scared of that fever feverr

junkstrobe
04-04-2009, 07:26 AM
i think that it really depends on how old the use cotton is. i've never had an issue with cottons that were a day or two old, i have run in to major suck when rinsing cottons 3+ days old. i dont think cooking them is that huge a factor because cotton is sturdy stuff and you should absolutely be filtering when you draw up a hit anyhow - this should prevent most gunk from getting in there. its a bacteria issue, and used cottons make a great spot to colonize the nasties (moist/dark/lots of surface area)

when in doubt, chew on them. there is absolutely nothing worse then junksick+fever.

kjjy
04-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Ok krink let me try to explain and not make it worse.

Suppose a real junkie needs a bundle to get well.

Well now he is well.

But a little while later he loses his Fucking mind and does a weak ass

cotton shot. If he is lucky it will have no effect. If he is not

lucky it will knock off the good shot and then the fallout begins.

He is then so cold that he is afraid to move a eyelash because he might turn to ice.

This is from been there done that.

Raisin
04-04-2009, 08:45 AM
kjjy speaks the truth. You might get cotton fever from doing a rinse and you might not. It's a crap shoot but you seem like the gambling kind.

Theoretically you could wash them with some alcohol and then let the alcohol evaporate before you do a rinse but what are the odds that you'll have the patience for that if you're trying to get well?

SHELLEY
04-04-2009, 08:48 AM
ive done these cotton shots more than once
and while i've never gotten cotton fever, it's never once gotten me well OR high
i always cooked up in an altoids sours tin, always using different parts of the circle or the center
and then when i was sick enough to contemplate a cotton shot
i'd shove ONE old cotton in there with a lil water and rinse-heat every last fucking inch of that cooker
i've gotten RETARDEDLY big blasts out of doing that, but only if i leave the shit for like a month

cotton shots? big fawkin waste of time if you ask this junkie....

SurfRat
04-04-2009, 01:28 PM
I know I am wheel/syringe filter obsessed.

But that might make it ok. If it's bacteria you can filter it out with a .22 micron filter.

It's probably not worth the hassle.

In the end it's only another shot, and like kjjy mentioned, not all that strong and maybe polluted so...

I mean you're gonna get some more
or you're gonna hope you do.

And either way half a hit won't make a whole lotta difference.

PrisonHer
04-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I've told this story before..but..rinsing cottons can be a real bad idea. back in 2003 I got cotton fever 4 days in a row. (I'm not sure if it was from rinsing the cottons or using the spoon without cleaning it each time.) But I got really fucking sick..high fever..seeing shit..the shakes..vomit..all that jazz. I passed out in a gas station parking lot and ended up in the ER.

I stayed in the hospital for a month because the dr. found endocarditis. That sucked and I was *really* sick. Since I was an addict, I not only had to suffer through the pain of endocarditis..which fucking HURTS..but I also suffered through heroin withdrawals at the same time..because they would NOT give me anything for pain!! So..it happens..and it's NOT worth rinsing the cottons...or reusing needles..or using a dirty spoon.

I know it seems far fetched that shit like that will happen everytime you rinse a cotton..and it probably won't..but it's not worth the risk. If you're gonna continue to rinse cottons because you gotta learn for yourself..at least let them dry in open air before putting them in a container..and then only save them for a day or two. Good luck homie ;)

krinkov
04-05-2009, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the input guys. I was supposed to get more junk today, but it never came through. So, I'm really tempted to rewash, but I'm holding out. I should be OK tomorrow or Monday, but we'll see. EHHGGG!!! It's been a while since I've been sick. This sucks!!!

dieselbaby
04-06-2009, 01:56 AM
Sorry to hear about the sickness. The best way I've washed cottons is to put them immediately in the barrel of a 5 or 10 mL oral syringe (a CLEAN one) and keep it sealed airtight. Then when you have enough ready, boil some water in a clean spoon, draw it up through the oral syringe and then push the plunger down to mash all the juice out. I will be honest, even using 40-50 cottons at once has never even made me feel even remotely better. The 2 times I've gotten cotton fever was from re-using cottons that had been washed once before when I was really desperate. Good luck, hope you feel better.

rcb
04-07-2009, 11:30 AM
I've shot up so many used cottons. I fuckin found one on the floor of my car that must have been there for three+ months and rinsed that shit. Sometimes I get sick, sometimes I don't. Never actually got me high, though..

roxi*stardust
04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Hope you changed your mind about rinsing used cottons. I would be trying to score some other way or taking a Suboxone or something else before I would rinse old ass bacteria filled cottons. What happened to your pain meds? I'm assuming you got cut off?

InfectedMushroom
04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
I try not to rinse, but have done it a couple times. It's really a gamble and the risk of infection/cotton fever is pretty high. The problem is, we don't give a shit when we're out so you gotta do what you gotta do.

Mayo
04-07-2009, 10:16 PM
Swim has been surprised how much dope can be left in cottons.
If you don't have syringe filters, a method is to mash them with water and a little bit of acetic acid, then squeeze all the liquid out.
Follow this with an a/b extraction.

tao2
04-08-2009, 08:34 AM
Swim has been surprised how much dope can be left in cottons.

Saving your cottons for a rainy day seems like a risky proposition. If you don't want what's left in the cotton to go to waste another option would be to rinse the cotton immediately and add the rinse to the shot that was just prepared. Any danger in this method?

tao2

simfromstoke
04-08-2009, 10:59 AM
ive been using my used filters for years. {touches wood}and ive never had cotton fever. ive been a cranker(injecting) for 8 years now and i ALWAYs save my filters.
last year i found a bag of about 80[used] filters in my mums loft and was jumping for joy!
i was rattling at the time and i knew that i had no money comin in for the next four days, so i was ecstatic to find such a big bag of filters.

even when i was doing a teenth a day, 4 or 5 filters (cooked-up) on the spoon would stave off any rattle.
but if i put 10 to 15 filters on, i certainly used to get a NIICE hit and was easily the equivalant of having a bag

when you are cooking up initially, if you estimate that there is maybe 10% of the your gear left in the filter after using it, by cookin up 10 to 15 used filters you should have at-least a bag there on the spoon

id NEVER put filters in an air-tight bag with air in it, as mould will appear on them even after a day or so.
i just let them sit in the open air to dry out and certrainly if they are in a warm room they dry-out in a just couple of hrs

when i cook them up i always add some citric to the mix and you can visually see the smack flowing out of the filters as you cook them. i then mash-up all the filters in the spoon with the cap off the pin, then using a fresh, clean, filter, draw up the nice dark solution through it

i know everyone has their own theories on here regarding it being dangerous re-using filters but over-here, everyone i know values their filters and they have always been seen as a great way of keeping the rattles at-bay

krinkov
04-08-2009, 10:48 PM
Hope you changed your mind about rinsing used cottons. I would be trying to score some other way or taking a Suboxone or something else before I would rinse old ass bacteria filled cottons. What happened to your pain meds? I'm assuming you got cut off?

Yes, I decided not to do it.

As for pain meds, I was never cut off. I just ran out and didn't have any. I refill tomorrow though. :cool:

ETA: I can't beleive how much shit you guys all remember. Roxi, you actually remember that I'm on pain meds and I know you remember a lot of my history. You're not the only one. A lot of other members are the same way. It's like half the membership here is Rainman. LOL!!

InfectedMushroom
04-09-2009, 10:02 PM
Or we actually give a shit about the situations of our fellow members. It's a big family here, we gotta look out for each other, especially when things get rocky.

ryan
04-10-2009, 01:03 PM
Or we actually give a shit about the situations of our fellow members. It's a big family here, we gotta look out for each other, especially when things get rocky.

Agreed. Whenver anyone posts a story or information about their background \ experience I always try to remember, even if I don't reply to the thread.
Even though this is the internetz, I like to picture this forum as one big "member's only" club where we can all count on each other for knowledge and support.

dark_mirage
04-27-2009, 12:21 PM
I've done this many times with my old oxy filters. It always seems to be worth the effort, even for the smallest rush. I hear that its always good to cook it before the shot though, to kill bacteria. I only got sick from it one time from filtering old morphine filters, right before work, lol and I'm pretty sure I either didn't heat it properly or didn't filter it very well, because that was the only time it ever happened.

losangeleslifer
04-27-2009, 12:42 PM
I try and not to wash cottons. It's hard because there is substantial amounts of product left, but If I can't use a syringe filter, I won't do it. I have had 2 abscesses and I can pretty much some them up to using a bunch of cottons. Like I said, theres a good deal of product left in them, but theres also the shit you don't want especially if you're talking about black.

mart1n
05-06-2009, 11:54 PM
I shoot tar and I most def get a lot of value out of cottons. I never suck a cotton completely dry, I leave about 10 units worth of shit in them and I store them in the tiny little zip lock bags and use them when shit is tight. About 10 cottons gives me a full regular shot.

I started doing this after a rattle a few months back. I never saved my cottons, I always just through them away. I was about 3 days into the rattle and had about another 3 days left before I would be getting anything. *Here is the gross part* I ended up digging through my trash bag in my room and pulling out every cotton I had tossed out, I'm talking 2-3 month old cottons and I collected well over 100 cottons and they kept me well for that three days.

I've only ever had cotton fever once and it wasn't from doing a cotton wash shot. It was right after doing a shot of OC with a clean cooker and a new cotton, you're not safe from cotton fever just because you don't do cotton wash shots.

@Prisonher
Since getting endocarditis is just a possibility for all tar users regardless of cotton shots, isn't it possible the endocarditis had been building up long before your four days of cotton fever and the sickness you were getting was triggered from the endocarditis? I don't really know, I've just always been told by the local needle exchanges that tar users are at a much greater risk for getting endocarditis.

lotus
05-07-2009, 03:27 AM
nahh don't listen to these airplaners, you gotta do what you gotta do, just put said cottons in spoon, add a small amt. of water mash the fuck out of them with the plunger, let them sit, mash s'more, let them sit until they are clean again, (they'll be flat as shit and white)

i never used any heat, scared of that fever feverr

that's what i did....but i'd use like a serving spoon, as many cottons as i could squash in there, lots of water, and i'd boil the hell outta them thinking "that'll kill any bacteria". it doesn't - if it's in there, it's in there, and you'll end up knowing it before you want to

ugghhhh. cotton fever. one of the worst times i had it, the sweater i was wearing, godamn - a day later i put the thing on to go score and the scent almost made sick....as in gag reflex. it was like - toxic. something horrible and toxic. not a normal sweat smell. no, i never learn'd.

bodytec
05-08-2009, 03:48 AM
This is a bad idea,reusing cottons. Grow up and go to the sub doctor and use those to bridge between binges. Part of being mature is planning ahead as well as conceding the fact that this is a way of life for you now.--Unless it isn't,and you are just toying around with something you think is "cool".
Also,people remember shit a lot when they are skeptical.

InfectedMushroom
05-08-2009, 06:55 PM
You're trying to tell the people in the Heroin forum to be rational and plan ahead? Shit bro that's easy to say, but doesn't exactly happen all the time in the real world. Saving your cottons can even be seen as a way of "planning ahead". Shit happens and things don't always work out as planned.

losangeleslifer
05-08-2009, 07:39 PM
This is a bad idea,reusing cottons. Grow up and go to the sub doctor and use those to bridge between binges. Part of being mature is planning ahead as well as conceding the fact that this is a way of life for you now.--Unless it isn't,and you are just toying around with something you think is "cool".

After ",reusuing cottons." The rest of this post just crash and burned.

Or maybe it's just me. I think the grow up and be mature thing struck me as strange. I never wanted to hear anything like that.

Maybe Im not getting it.

lotus
05-08-2009, 08:25 PM

i don't exactly understand what this is supposed to be? is someone singled out? or is it just the idea in general? if this is your idea of mature, isn't it a little hypocritical?

Deadfiend
05-08-2009, 08:44 PM
Throw them in the washer with a little detergent for a few, then take em out and put them in the dryer for about 15 min.'s and you golden...Always did it this way and never got the evil fever.....:cool:

bodytec
05-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Nah,i mean just plan ahead for 'down time',that's all. If opiates are your thing,as they are mine,a back-up plan is a good idea for when you cannot get/afford more dope.Before bupe/'done this may have been an impossibility but if it is a way of life,these two are very good options for the time that you do not have your d.o.c. or another full agonist.
No singling out. Everybody's struggling with the same type of addiction here.But we all understand that you just can't wake up and have NO plan for the day,at least i can't.Because life goes on and we have to function so.....

losangeleslifer
05-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Nah,i mean just plan ahead for 'down time',that's all. If opiates are your thing,as they are mine,a back-up plan is a good idea for when you cannot get/afford more dope.Before bupe/'done this may have been an impossibility but if it is a way of life,these two are very good options for the time that you do not have your d.o.c. or another full agonist.
No singling out. Everybody's struggling with the same type of addiction here.But we all understand that you just can't wake up and have NO plan for the day,at least i can't.Because life goes on and we have to function so.....

Thats actually what I thoght you meant. I was just hoping for better clarification for the sake of. I can definately relate to all thoughts on this.

But for me, the reality is when the shit is gone, the ride is over and I step off the train. I can always catch that bitch another time. Basically I'm saying that I don't have to stay on it. Fortunately, I have that luxury. And I ain't fuckin it up like I have with everything else.

I have another demon to deal with. And he waits for me.

bodytec
05-09-2009, 02:02 PM
Ok,i see. well,good luck,LA.

I-Nod
05-09-2009, 02:48 PM
A lot of other members are the same way. It's like half the membership here is Rainman. LOL!!

I was wondering why I was walking around mummbling "140, 40 short... 140, 40 short..." :D

On topic: I don't shoot much at all, but whenever I run into a handful of dillys I just re-wash the previous cotton when I'm preppin' my current shot. I don't do it enough to save anything for a rainy day though.

Spaazkaz
05-14-2009, 10:47 PM
Yes, I decided not to do it.

As for pain meds, I was never cut off. I just ran out and didn't have any. I refill tomorrow though. :cool:

ETA: I can't beleive how much shit you guys all remember. Roxi, you actually remember that I'm on pain meds and I know you remember a lot of my history. You're not the only one. A lot of other members are the same way. It's like half the membership here is Rainman. LOL!!

I agree, this place is awesome I'm so glad finally got in. Such a tight knit community, good peoples. -Spaz-

OxiContinKing
05-14-2009, 10:51 PM
there is no way saving old cottons from shooting anything can be good...

that the perfect breeding ground for bacteria...

ive done some stupid shit when i was sick, but i dont think that i would put that one under my belt...

like someone else said, when it gets to the point when shit runs out, just realize the ride is over, hop off, and prepare yourself for whats ahead...

Morphus
05-14-2009, 11:07 PM
Quite a few years ago, before I became a full time maint junkie on the pods, I went on a week long tar binge, it was good dope and I did 3 or 4 shots a day, and every shot I would shoot some of the cooked solution back on the cotton, let it dry and save for a rainy day. So after the end of the run I had 30 cottons or so, and most of them were dry as a bone but I noticed one had a soft, gooey kind of consistency, oh well, I tossed em all in the cooker and made up a shot. The shot definitely took the edge off but after about 10 minutes I noticed a strange feeling on my head, my head is all shaved so I looked in the mirror and was horrified to see big, raised up welts on my head and face! Needless to say it scared the fuck outta me and almost put me into a panic but I figured it would pass and eventually it did. But yeah, I bet it was that one funky cotton, caused a weird allergic reaction, no cotton fever just huge welts along the side of my face and head.

OxiContinKing
05-14-2009, 11:09 PM
YOUR PROBABLY LUCKY IT DIDNT FALL OFF.

HowLongIsTooLong
05-15-2009, 06:36 AM
Ah the old cotton dance...

Here is what I used to do:

For every shot I would take, I would drop a drop from the rig onto the previous cotton. How this works is that you do this for each and every cotton. So the first in the line would get as many drops as there were cottons, dig? Even when it got to ten cottons and I would put ten drops onto the lil row on my shelf, I could see the progressive browning happening as each one absorbed more and more... it justified the loss of junk, cause I knew I would be getting it back later when I needed it bad.

I rarely got over ten though... but if I mixed them all up at once, four would be nice, eight would be Nod, East of Eden, and all ten was Respiratory Distress.

This was a variation on that story Burroughs told in Junky... the 'drops in the jacket pocket so I have all kinds of junk in jail' dodge.

As for the fever... never had a prob when spiking these intentionally loaded cottons... and if you screw them up real tight, cotton will filter some bacteria. No shit.

I say load em up with a view toward tight times, cause we all know they come... and pretty reg'lar, too, no?

Also, if you are worried about the fever, sterilize the cotton before using it, because that little E. Agglomerans motherfucker lives in the cotton, not your junk... So if you destroy the bastards first, you're kool and the gang.

D

C-Wop
05-15-2009, 07:25 PM
My method of cotton accumulation and re-use is as follows..

every time I cook a new shot, I throw in a decent size cotton... about twice as big as I need and used to use. I draw out ther juice just up until the point that the cooker (in my case the bottom of a can) isnt puddle on the bottom. I then take the can with the cotton-- which is pretty much saturated still, and stash it for later. I use a different can for each shot. After I finish my shit, I then usually have 3-4 of these can and cottons left. The next morning I put each cotton in a spoon, one by one, with about 25 units of water. I use a flat cap to squish it and work it around in the water, squeezing all of the letover dope water out of it. I draw out the tiny bit left in the cotton and shoot it into one of the cans, and dump the water from the spoon into the can with it. I repeat this step 2-3 times depending on how many cans I have. When finished with the cottons I then have one can with a good 80-90 units of the water I just mixed and squeezed out of the cottons. I add 20-30 units to one of the other cans and rub the brown rinse from the bottom, mixing it all up in the can. add cotton, draw it out and shoot into next empty can. repeat with this can and again until THOSE cans are now clean. This final product is now added to the original cooker with the cotton water in it. i now mix that cooker throughly to get all the rinse from the previous night mixed into the water. cook, add cotton, and draw. By saving that water in the cottons with each shot the night before I am able to put together a really good shot in the morning with what is essentially my leftovers. I'd say one of those morning shots is typically equal to at least .07-.12 worth of dope.

The trick obviously is to not get greedy and draw up every last unit of water when I cook my regular shots. I figure that the little bit of dope I leave in the cotton is much better served as part of an AM leftover shot, rather than making my original shots what, 5-10% stronger?

I really like this method of doing things. Does this make sense to everybody? any parts need some clarification?

darkstar
05-18-2009, 05:41 PM
I save my cottons all the time and I have gotten cotton fever but not from this method. Now I find that 10 to 15 cottons actually gives a pretty good shot. I put in a spoon. Boil water seperately and pour over. Alot of water so you can mash it up nicely and see the water turn. I then speeze the cottons and boil the water til it evaps a usable amount of water. I think the boiling afterward is good because it helps to kill the bacteria. I know boiling dope like that is a no no, but I've honestly had pretty good results with this method so I do it.

lotus
05-18-2009, 06:18 PM
I noticed a strange feeling on my head, my head is all shaved so I looked in the mirror and was horrified to see big, raised up welts on my head and face! Needless to say it scared the fuck outta me and almost put me into a panic but I figured it would pass and eventually it did. But yeah, I bet it was that one funky cotton, caused a weird allergic reaction, no cotton fever just huge welts along the side of my face and head.

you are the only other person i've heard something like this come from. the shot i did gave me bad fever (like it's ever good) - when it finally passed i headed out the door to meet a dealer, glanced in the mirror and didn't recognize myself. the skin around my eyes was swollen in such a fucked up way i looked japanese, and i had welts on my forehead. i've had red swollen eyes from cat hair before - this was something totally different.......i was aware it didn't feel quite right but didn't think anything of it till i saw it.

wrap'd my head in a bandana, threw some shades on, and off i went. i can't remember exactly how long it was like that for, but i think it took till the next morning to finally clear.

the cottons were all leftovers from oh so sweet skidtown vancouver down.

Deadfiend
05-18-2009, 06:35 PM
there is no way saving old cottons from shooting anything can be good...

that the perfect breeding ground for bacteria...

ive done some stupid shit when i was sick, but i dont think that i would put that one under my belt...

like someone else said, when it gets to the point when shit runs out, just realize the ride is over, hop off, and prepare yourself for whats ahead...
I myself did it all the time and never once had anything bad com from it, like the fever or anything else. But as we all know each different.