PDA

View Full Version : Proglumide

nepente
03-14-2009, 08:40 AM
Hi,
surfin' the interweb I've found this:

However, many people are unaware that both enhanced effectiveness of narcotic analgesics AND prevention or reversal of tolerance is readily achievable through the oral use of up to 200-250 mg of Proglumide [(DL)-4-Benzamido-N,N-dipropylglutaramic acid]. [See Ott 1999; Watkins et al. 1984]

The work of Watkins suggests there may be a therapeutic dosage window with diminished results above it but more detailed work to define this is apparently lacking.

Rather than simply augment the action of the opiates, proglumide actually interferes with the anti-opioid activity of the neuropeptide CCK.

The chronic administration of opiates, or spinal cord and other CNS injuries, elevates the level of Cholecystokinin (CCK) that is present. Such elevated levels exert an antagonistic effect on opioid activity resulting in significantly diminished analgesic effects. (Watkins et al. 1984; Xu et al. 1993 & 1994)

It is this rise in CCK levels that directly leads to the condition known as drug tolerance and the corresponding increase in its anti-opioid activity that requires the opiate user to use increasingly larger amounts to achieve the same effects.

This anti-opiate effect can be prevented or even reversed through the administration of CCK inhibitors such as proglumide. (Watkins et al. 1984)

Besides just interfering with the adverse action of CCK on opiate activity, proglumide is also known to augment the analgesic effect of opiates. Often this can provide a higher quality of analgesia for those patients who suffer from an incomplete response to pain medications.

Watkins & coworkers reported that proglumide reversed morphine tolerance and also 1) hastened the onset of analgesia, 2) increased the peak levels, and 3) prolonged the duration.

Wow!

Did anyone have tried this stuff?

Ciao

nepente
03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
Hey! When I read this I jumped on the chair, is it possible that anybody have nothing to say about this? Is people using spit to shoot more interesting? As a newbie do you think I'm a cop? C'mon maybe swim know something :)

Poppylvr
03-15-2009, 11:49 AM
Hey! When I read this I jumped on the chair, is it possible that anybody have nothing to say about this? Is people using spit to shoot more interesting? As a newbie do you think I'm a cop? C'mon maybe swim know something :)
Don't think you're a cop-
Just never heard of proglumide.
Hoping for you that someone jumps in soon with some info.
Welcome to Opiophile....

oxyjon
03-15-2009, 11:51 AM
This thread has been covered before. That is why nobody is reponding. As far as Proglumide, I wish I could get some precribed. I find it very interesting. I wonder what my doctor would say if I asked for it, talking about tolerance issues with him. He is a pain doc, if he heard of it I might be ok. But, Im trying to get him to write me for a script of Opana next week.I think Id rather have oxymorphone than Proglumide. Just wanted to respond so you dont get too frustrated. Take it easy.

roxi*stardust
03-15-2009, 12:14 PM
As oxyjon said this topic has been covered many, many times. Use the search