PDA

View Full Version : Needle Broke Off In Arm

twstedroads
02-24-2009, 03:13 PM
I just got a call from my brother who is freaking out because while fixing, (apparently with a shorter needle), the entire needle broke off into his arm, and has been literally cutting himself w a razor blade trying to get the thing out. He isn't tech savvy at all and i told him i'd try and get a lil advice from some friends online. He doesn't want to go to the ER in fear of them taking his little girl. Does anyone have any past experience or know anything about what to do in this situation? I'm really kinda worried.

Thanks for all, and any help.

ps. if this is in the wrong forum i am sorry, i guess just move accordingly i just wanted faster replies and decided this forum would be at least half-suitable. thanks.

EDIT: just found other similar post in the archives. sorry for not checking first i was frantic, but if anyone with new or relevant info is still much appreciated.

duck
02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
Good god. Wish I could help. Keep us posted.

krinkov
02-24-2009, 03:45 PM
Holy crap!! I don't know how possible it would be, but I'd be afraid it'd go through my vein into another organ. :( I probably wouldn't, but it would scare the shit out of me!!
Keep us informed on what happens and how he gets it out. DAMN!! Scary stuff. :eek:

samsong
02-24-2009, 03:51 PM
Maybe he can go to an Urgent Care clinic and give them a fake name, tell them he forgot his wallet with his ID in it and just pay cash, or go witha friend that can pay with a credit card. I don't think the doctor would call anyone as I don't think it is illegal to have a needle in your arm, he can just tell the doc he was taking a vitamin b shot or insulin shot or hgh or something legal. I have read on bodybuilding websites that the newest craze instead of using steroids is to inject themselves with insulin as part of a workout routine. As you don't need an rx for insulin or needles, not sure why your borther would be in any trouble by seeking medical attention. Cutting himself with a razor to get the thing out sounds like an infection in waiting.

Uncle Wiggly
02-24-2009, 04:07 PM
If the needle broke off while in a vein he needs to get his ass to a hospital NOW. This is serious shit.

nick
02-24-2009, 04:16 PM
If the needle broke off while in a vein he needs to get his ass to a hospital NOW. This is serious shit.

I'd advocate a trip to the E.R. too,but if he really doesn't want to go this probably isn't a big deal and is actually more common than folks realise.

Unless he was actually in the vein when it broke off,it will just stay in the tissue and his biggest worry is infection.If he was in the vein,he needs to get treatment NOW.

P.S. It's amazing some of the weird stuff folks have in their bodies and may not even realise.I have what looks like a works spike in my face-near the jaw.No idea how it got their.......hey Synthmorph,it could be an alien implant huh.

Mustelid
02-24-2009, 04:54 PM
Try a magnet, if that fails, ER. Make up some story that a crazed mugger stabbed him with a syringe.

Opiyum
02-24-2009, 05:04 PM
Try a magnet, if that fails, ER. Make up some story that a crazed mugger stabbed him with a syringe.

I'm pretty sure most if not all needles are non-ferrous and not magnetic so while it's an intersting ideea it wouldn't work. If you have tweezers and that didn't work and you can't work it out in the way you would pop a zit then you need medical assistance.
Good luck.

SynthMorph
02-24-2009, 05:49 PM
P.S. It's amazing some of the weird stuff folks have in their bodies and may not even realise.I have what looks like a works spike in my face-near the jaw.No idea how it got their.......hey Synthmorph,it could be an alien implant huh.

You probably stuck yourself during a heavy nod and forgot? If not then who the fuck knows, weird shit?

rockbottom
02-24-2009, 05:52 PM
------------------------

nick
02-24-2009, 05:53 PM
You probably stuck yourself during a heavy nod and forgot? If not then who the fuck knows, weird shit?

That's what I figure too.It does look really weird on the x ray though.My dentist saw it and said "ummm,did you know you have what appears to be a syringe needle imbeded in your face."

OxiContinKing
02-24-2009, 06:04 PM
Not trying to be an ass or anything, but it says on the package to only use the syringe once...

I believe this is one of the reasons why.

All that aside, I hope all is well for you, and I hope everything works out (literally).

oxy kid
02-24-2009, 06:14 PM
Go to the ER. Better get that thing out ASAP

WhyCatsPaint
02-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I seriously hope your brother went to the ER!

Correct me if I'm wrong but I highly doubt his daughter will be taken from him if he was to go to the ER for this. Most cases that involve the ER stepping in and removing children from homes is when abuse to the child is suspect which is not the case here. I highly doubt the will even ask if he has children being the doctors and staff's main concern is his health and getting that needle out in a sterile environment.

Please let us know what happens. Wow, just reading what you said makes me nauseas I couldn't imagine I hope he goes to the ER.

nycjrt
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
go to the ER - i had this nightmare of a thought the other day when i was breaking a tip off of a rig and it fell onto the floor, i was worried my dog would eat/lick it and what could happen, started thinking if that shit broke off in the vein where it would wind up.....(btw i woke up 4 hours later on bathroom floor and found the tip, so no worries)..but your brother should go to er asap.

OxiContinKing
02-24-2009, 07:52 PM
Woke up 4 hours later in the bathroom?

Dont you love when that happens? (I sure do).

Must have been some good shit.

Lucky S.O.B.

:cool:

Deadfiend
02-24-2009, 08:00 PM
I'd advocate a trip to the E.R. too,but if he really doesn't want to go this probably isn't a big deal and is actually more common than folks realise.

Unless he was actually in the vein when it broke off,it will just stay in the tissue and his biggest worry is infection.If he was in the vein,he needs to get treatment NOW.

If it wasn't in the mainline he should be ok, and he will just have to keep a look out for infection, lots of people have this happen before, and I have seen it done, and he was fine, a x-ray after Elvis death they found a ton of points stuck in his arms, same with Howard Hughes.
But I'm not saying that you should get him to a ER as soon as you can cause a lot of bad, bad shit can come from it if its in the wrong spot, and if you live in a big city, you should be in and out without any real bullshit other then maybe a doctor yealling at you for a few mim.'s about not to use drugs and shit like that......

InfectedMushroom
02-24-2009, 09:14 PM
I'd still say go to the hospital. He doesn't need it getting infected and turning out worse than it is. Least get it cleaned up and get him some antibiotics if needed.

matfield
02-24-2009, 09:31 PM
happened to me years ago. i was freaking out too, because i thought it might "wander" through the bloodstream somewhere else-which is totally stupid.
i called an ambulance but doc-who didnt bother to really tear that thing out of my arm-told me that there could not happen that much-besides an infaction of course.
i still would suggest to go to er!

nycjrt
02-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Must have been some good shit.

:cool:

it was...it took me another 2 hours to find the tip, when i woke for good it was light out, another of those nights completely flushed away (up my arm:)) - upon waking covered in baby powder and qtip tips, at least i managed to give the floor a good cleaning:rolleyes:

erica
02-24-2009, 11:09 PM
ER.
They shouldn't do anything, doctors do usually have to abide by a confidentiality agreement (ever heard of HIPPA?)...and ER docs are usually waaay too busy to be dealing with reporting these things to the police. I'm 99% sure he wouldn't get in any trouble. Plus, he doesn't have to admit he was doing drugs. He can say he woke up with it in his arm for all it matters.

Anyways, keep us updated! I seriously hope he is okay.

OCintheOC
02-25-2009, 12:04 AM
i had this happen last year only it was in my NECK. i was shooting coke in the passenger seat while me and a friend were driving around. and when i did my last shot i went to put the lid on and it bent the needle all the way to one side. So i carefully bent it back straight and drew a shot of coke. i registered a nice neck vein and started pushing plunger and snap! we kinda hit a bump and it broke off at the plastic. It went under skin too fast for me to grab either. I ended up going to ER next day. it was sore kind of but they said because it is so close to coradid and jugular that surgical removal would be too dangerous. They didnt ask any personal questions or anything. doctors are mostly concerned with effectively treating you not busting you. hope your friend is ok

tonyk
02-25-2009, 01:22 AM
OK, as a paramedic, with a little bit of knowledge............. If the needle broke off while it was direcly in the vein....it would quickly go right to your heart!!!! AND you would definitely NOTICE that! BAAAAAAAAAAD!!! But if the patient is awake and alert as of now, obviously THAT did not occur! Thankfully!! So, the point must have broken off in the muscle or tissue and it is surprising how much it can move once it is in there! So, NO to hunting for the needle, as it can move along the muscle line very quickly with no harm done. After a time, scar tissue will build up around it and it wll be absolutley harmless. SO! Sorta, if you are not dead now,,,,,,,, you need not worry so much...all will be well, hope I helped some, TK

irish
02-25-2009, 02:38 AM
Even if it broke off in the vein, it wouldn't make it far. It would most likely get hung-up on the next valve, or even before that. It's a long sharp object trying to pass through a soft bendy tube with valves every few inches. I would still get it checked out, but it's not going to kill you.

devilsdrug
02-25-2009, 11:54 AM
i hate it when that happens

Poppylvr
02-25-2009, 12:00 PM
I just got a call from my brother who is freaking out because while fixing, (apparently with a shorter needle), the entire needle broke off into his arm, and has been literally cutting himself w a razor blade trying to get the thing out. He isn't tech savvy at all and i told him i'd try and get a lil advice from some friends online. He doesn't want to go to the ER in fear of them taking his little girl. Does anyone have any past experience or know anything about what to do in this situation? I'm really kinda worried.

So, TR, what happened?

tch2296
02-25-2009, 01:05 PM
i had this happen last year only it was in my NECK. i was shooting coke in the passenger seat while me and a friend were driving around. and when i did my last shot i went to put the lid on and it bent the needle all the way to one side. So i carefully bent it back straight and drew a shot of coke. i registered a nice neck vein and started pushing plunger and snap! we kinda hit a bump and it broke off at the plastic. It went under skin too fast for me to grab either. I ended up going to ER next day. it was sore kind of but they said because it is so close to coradid and jugular that surgical removal would be too dangerous. They didnt ask any personal questions or anything. doctors are mostly concerned with effectively treating you not busting you. hope your friend is ok

Wait so they just left it in your neck? That's crazy. Can you ever feel it?

Deadfiend
02-25-2009, 05:36 PM
Howard Hughes after death X-rays....

A subsequent autopsy noted kidney failure as the cause of death. Hughes was in extremely poor physical condition at the time of his death; X-rays revealed broken-off hypodermic needles still embedded in his arms and severe malnutrition. While his kidneys were damaged, his other internal organs were deemed perfectly healthy.

Odd that this was the richest man alive at the time huh?

nick
02-25-2009, 05:42 PM
Howard Hughes after death X-rays....

A subsequent autopsy noted kidney failure as the cause of death. Hughes was in extremely poor physical condition at the time of his death; X-rays revealed broken-off hypodermic needles still embedded in his arms and severe malnutrition. While his kidneys were damaged, his other internal organs were deemed perfectly healthy.

Odd that this was the richest man alive at the time huh?

I blame the mormons.

dieselbaby
02-25-2009, 11:11 PM
OK, as a paramedic, with a little bit of knowledge............. If the needle broke off while it was direcly in the vein....it would quickly go right to your heart!!!! AND you would definitely NOTICE that! BAAAAAAAAAAD!!! But if the patient is awake and alert as of now, obviously THAT did not occur! Thankfully!! So, the point must have broken off in the muscle or tissue and it is surprising how much it can move once it is in there! So, NO to hunting for the needle, as it can move along the muscle line very quickly with no harm done. After a time, scar tissue will build up around it and it wll be absolutley harmless. SO! Sorta, if you are not dead now,,,,,,,, you need not worry so much...all will be well, hope I helped some, TK

There's no way you're a paramedic. If you are, then god help us all because you are massively retarded.

tch2296
02-26-2009, 10:30 AM
There's no way you're a paramedic. If you are, then god help us all because you are massively retarded.

LOL I was thinking the same thing!

twstedroads
03-05-2009, 06:14 AM
well, i saw him as four days ago and he had a very tall (maybe an inch) mountain like bump where the needle is. looks somewhat disfiguring. but he still hasnt done anything about it so i don't know if it has moved down, or what!

matfield
03-05-2009, 12:16 PM
LOL I was thinking the same thing!

yep...me too. ha ha