PDA

View Full Version : A horrible way to shoot...

Phluck
05-14-2006, 10:45 PM
In Junky, Burroughs talks about old junkies with heavily scarred arms shooting up by poking a hole with a safety pin, and then putting an eyedropper overtop and squirting it in...

I have no idea if this is possible or not, but I was wondering if anyone has seen or heard of someone actually doing this? Sounds horrifying.

george123
05-14-2006, 11:34 PM
I was just thinking about this today! It does sound horrible...and I never heard of anybody doing this at this day and age, which I'm sure is due to the availavbility of hypodermic needles.

lukilu
05-15-2006, 03:16 AM
Does anybody remember the movie Equious or some such movie , I seem to remember a scene where a junky sticks a fork in his arm and shoves H up there but not 100% sure on that ! All I remember is being totally freaked by the scene ----Anybody ?
Lukilu

Paregoric Kid
05-15-2006, 05:05 AM
are you talking about using a needle and an eyedropper as a syringe? that's how a lot of people used to shoot up back long ago.

Phluck
05-15-2006, 08:05 AM
Not quite... not a proper needle fitted into an eyedropper (I know Burroughs mentions this a few times as well)... actually, I have an e-book of Junky, let me find the passage...

Here it is:
"Bill Gains threw in the towel and moved to Mexico. I met him at the airport. He was loaded on H and goof balls. His pants were spotted with blood where he had been fixing on the plane with a safety pin. You make a hole with the pin, and put the dropper over (not in) the hole, and the solution goes right in. With this method, you don't need a needle, but it takes an old-time junky to make it work. You have to use exactly the right degree of pressure feeding in the solution. I tried it once and the junk squirted out to the side and I lost it all. But when Gains made a hole in his flesh, the hole stayed open waiting for junk. Bill was an old-timer. He knew everybody in the business. He had an excellent reputation and he could score as long as anyone sold junk. I figured the situation must be desperate when Bill packed in and left the States. "Sure, I can score," he told me. "But if I stay in the States I'll wind up doing about ten years.""

Rereading it now, it looks like it's probably a subcutaneous injection.

Coddfish
05-15-2006, 08:59 AM
I actually knew an old timer I used to give a ride to the done clinic that claimed to do this once upon a time. He was from NY city and def looked the part. I could kinda see how it would work, but I hadn't read that book, or heard of it anywhere else, so wasn't sure he wasn't bsn me. He said the blood flow just kinda sucks it in somehow??? Seems like youd hafta know what you were doin.

nikz
05-17-2006, 08:58 PM
you create a vacuum by tilting the eyedropper back and press out the air via the bulb then place over the pin prick and it sucks up the blood and press the bulb..seen it done..gives away my age
nikz

madnesscult
06-10-2006, 08:58 PM
I knew a guy who did something similar when he was in prison...essentially the same thing, but no eyedropper. I don't remember what they substituted it with, but he was also talking about making makeshift syringes out of ballpoint pens.