PDA

View Full Version : Tramadol?

kramorph
05-02-2006, 10:24 PM
Anyone had any experience with tramadol? My doc just gave me some.Everything Ive found seems to say it is alittle bit stronger than codeine, but its demethylated metabolite is 6-10x stronger(sounds like something else, that god made).Other than that its a synthetic opioid.Can anyone add anything.Especially chemistry, can it be easily converted to anything worthwhile? Or should I just take a handful and see what happens,lol. Thats how I usually learn pharmacology.

happycamper
05-03-2006, 03:38 AM
Tramadol (aka Tramal, Ultram, etc.), like other drugs in this class, tends to have very different effects on different individuals.
I'm not sure about the US, but in this country it's available as immediate release 50mg powder-filled capsules, and 100mg sustained released caplets. I've had both and do not recall any pleasurable effects with the sustained release ones, though I'd had a lot of morphine at around the same time so it's obviously hard to tell. With the immediate release capsules, you get a very nice mild euphoria about an hour after you take them. This seems to work better if they're taken on an empty stomach. For me, this effect lasts about 45 minutes, after which you're left with a kind of elevated mood for several hours. I've also noticed a mild amphetamine-like effect, e.g. if I go swimming after I've taken them I definitely can swim harder and for longer than usual.
Compared with say codeine, the euphoric effect is not as intense but lasts much longer.
I usually just take 2-3 50mg once a day. I find with higher or more regular doses, you gain tolerance very quickly. Stopping taking them for 2-3 days is generally enough to redevelop tolerance.
Negative effects: When I was taking 100mg four times a day last year, I didn't notice any serious constipation effect; certainly nothing like codeine let alone morphine. I have felt quite bad nausea a few times, but only when I've been on the bus after taking it, not at any other times, kind of like travel sickness which I got really badly when I was a kid. Nausea seems to be the most commonly reported side effect.
Withdrawal: Usually, if you stop suddenly from the dose I've been on, you just feel a bit down for a few days, nothing serious. Though one time when I stopped I had a really bad time and felt suicidal and extremely depressed. (Yes I know it's nothing compared to the hard stuff, I'm just saying...)
As I said, these are my experiences. Anyone with a developed tolerance for other, especially stronger drugs, will probably get little effect from them.
Re chemistry, I don't think it can be converted to anything useful.
Hope this is of help.

katomic
05-03-2006, 05:53 AM
odd one this; the first few times you take it take 400mg (don’t go over 400 if you ever had a fit or over 600 without a benzo or something) It gives this unique loved up opiate high because it effects serotonin and norephredin as well
strange stuff
after a few goes with that and its all over! Good for pain killing not for fun

Cornburglar
05-03-2006, 06:33 AM
Anyone had any experience with tramadol? My doc just gave me some.Everything Ive found seems to say it is alittle bit stronger than codeine, but its demethylated metabolite is 6-10x stronger(sounds like something else, that god made).Other than that its a synthetic opioid.Can anyone add anything.Especially chemistry, can it be easily converted to anything worthwhile? Or should I just take a handful and see what happens,lol. Thats how I usually learn pharmacology.

I had a bunch recently too and after some experimentation, I sussed that doseages around 100mg 3x a day can offer a reasonably good buzz. If you pop 50mg with your usual opie dose, it potentiates like a muzzafuzza. these are AWESOME for withdrawls though so even if they don't buzz you. Keep em.

Scarlettnight
05-03-2006, 08:08 AM
I had the unfortunate expereince to be prescribed Tramadol twice both times the 50 mg. In my opionon it was nothing like hydrocodone. I took them as dircted at first then not feeling any relief took like 200 mg. Got nothing but nausea and vomiting. For 6 hours I was in hell. Refused to take them ever again. They still sit in the med cabinet and they will stay there.

doctor diesel
05-03-2006, 09:30 AM
I've had tramadol, which I've seen described by those in the know as 'semi-opioid in function'. As far as I'm concerned there is nothing opiate-like about trams. However, they're a good pain killer (one level below morphine, according to my local pharmacist) and they have the added advantages of being 'energising' and mood lifting.
If I have one of those days where I'm dragging myself around, listless and just wanting to go back to bed, I pop two 50mgs of tram and I'm right as rain for the rest of the day. They also enhance serotonin levels quite dramatically, so they're good for chasing away my blues.
Having said that there's nothing opiate-like about trams, I did once (actually several times) combine 150mg-200mg of them with 180mg of propoxyphene, and was transferred to Heaven for about six hours.
Nice.

Doc Diesel

oc80tn
05-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Far be it from me to poop on anyone's party or to have a good time, but let me throw a word of warning out there about Ultram (tramadol). I took this stuff for years, on a daily basis. My ex-mother-in-law worked at doctors office and they had free samples like you wouldn't believe. I got to love them, as she would bring me a box with about 50 sample packs in it, each blister pack containing four pills. You do the math. They would bring me a really weird, but enjoyable, buzz. The only downside for a long time was I would occasionally get sick at my stomach and puke.
About three years ago, I had taken my morning dose of 3 or 4 Ultram. About two hours later, I was being revived by a paramedic in the mall after having suffered a seizure. I didn't put two and two together until my third seizure in three months had me curious as to what was going on. It was that demon pill, Ultram! I stopped that shit immediately, which wasn't a big deal because my three seizures caused me to fall so violently that I broke my back in six different places and I was up and on my way to Lortab, Percocet and now OxyContin.
Have fun, but for God's sake, be careful. That stuff can mess you up in ways true opioids never even imagined!

candyshop
05-03-2006, 12:59 PM
i get em sometimes and save em up for wd days- they are really helpful (for some people )in that capacity
when dopesick they can make the difference between getting out of bed or not and they seem to lessen the doom factor-but the seizure danger is real so keep an eye on your amounts

Hydro-Joe
05-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I would also advise you to watch the amount of Tramadol you ingest. I, like a few others, suffered a two-minute seizure one day while sitting around the house playing around on the computer.

My two children, ages 5 and 7, both witnessed my seizure and it scared the hell out of them.

Just be careful.

Hydro-Joe

happycamper
05-04-2006, 03:36 AM
I had a bunch recently too and after some experimentation, I sussed that doseages around 100mg 3x a day can offer a reasonably good buzz. If you pop 50mg with your usual opie dose, it potentiates like a muzzafuzza. these are AWESOME for withdrawls though so even if they don't buzz you. Keep em.
That's interesting. I've found if you take it more than once a day, even at the recommended dose, or for more than a few days in a row, you become tolerant to any sort of pleasurable effects. What have other people experienced?

katomic
05-04-2006, 04:43 AM
That's interesting. I've found if you take it more than once a day, even at the recommended dose, or for more than a few days in a row, you become tolerant to any sort of pleasurable effects. What have other people experienced?

Thats true with me 3-4 days is all over it was also very different to normal opies

jacky
05-04-2006, 12:48 PM
ive taken tramadol for months at a time, alone and also occasionally combined with different opiates, kratom, and dxm.

compare the structure and chemical name of effexor, to that of tramadol. almost the same compound . BOTH of the compounds exhibit opiate like withdrawl symptoms, I have suffered withdrawl from both, and watched family and freinds go through effexor withdrawl. In ONE college biology class I was taking I talked to 3 seperate individuals that had become or were addicted physically to effexor, all women.

I have used tramadol to kick other stronger opiates like oxycodone and methadone. weening off of tramadol is a pretty damn good way to kick anything.

I also like the driving force of the drug for getting things done, power walks, whatever, initially the drug seems to impart energy, while later still lending to some somniferic effects.

I usually keep a prescription of it around.

I remember when I could just order it in powder form from JLFcatalog, without any prescription etc. that lasted about a year before the fda and dea asked them to stop.

the price that I get it for now is actually comparable to the price I would pay in powder form for 10 grams or pure powder.

some people cant stand the stuff, opiate niave, or some people with the "right physiology" perhaps get some euphoria from tramadol. I am one of those people, who initially gets a good euphoria from using tramadol. after a few weeks though it is like keeping up with any other opiate save for the fact that it doesnt get a person very "high".

Kallie
05-04-2006, 01:31 PM
compare the structure and chemical name of effexor, to that of tramadol. almost the same compound . BOTH of the compounds exhibit opiate like withdrawl symptoms, I have suffered withdrawl from both, and watched family and freinds go through effexor withdrawl. In ONE college biology class I was taking I talked to 3 seperate individuals that had become or were addicted physically to effexor, all women.

Jacky, your post got me thinking...

I'm prescribed Effexor 225mg daily, but I am very inconsistant or non-compliant when it comes to taking it (for years). Then last week I started taking them again, 75mg to 150mg, then forgot for a day or two. I woke up in the middle of the night with these horrible, agonizing foot and lower leg cramps. Never had that before, with anything. I've been pretty short-fused and irritable, too, and so tired I fall asleep if I sit still for more than 10 minutes, literally. I finally got up and took more of my rx-ed morphine, and some xanax 2mg later... that same night. Usually, I don't combine, but this was getting bad and I HAVE to be up and functioning everyday from 5am to about 11pm.

Otherwise, everything else was the same. Is that the kind of "withdrawal" you experienced?

Forgive me, I know you are not a doctor, but I've seen you post about Effexor/Tram before and just wondered....

HandMeSomeOpiates
05-18-2006, 02:49 AM
150-200mg will give me a good speedy euphoria effect. Not a hydro high but definatley better than nothing when your out of the good stuff. Tram is AMAZING for W/D's. I plan on using Tram to W/D off my 2-year Vicodin Binge. About 15-20 10/325's a day now, so ya, its time to stop. It's gonna be so damn hard because I LOVVEEE opiates and will always love opiates but its getting to where I can't even focus on my future or even move for that matter because I think of how sick I'll be when I'm out of meds. Pray for me guys.... Bless the Tram.

jacky
05-18-2006, 01:57 PM
I didnt get the leg cramps, but I did notice opiate like withdrawl symptoms when I was locked up for over a month and the jail pharmacy didnt carry Effexor yet. insomnia...soreness....anxiety....shortness of breath.....it sucked.

what I have heard from alot of people is that effexor has a quick tolerance curve...from 50 to 250 milligrams a day in just a few months..or similiar increase in dose.

slugbone
05-18-2006, 03:08 PM
i've had extensive experience with tramadol. i've taken it daily for almost two years. i started with 100 mg the first time, threw up then felt high for the next 4 hours.

for me 300 mg during the course of the day works. some folks just get that up feeling, it works even better with tylenol, you get quite a pain killing effect.

lately i've been mixing tram and pods, and it works pretty good. tramadol is very effective for me getting rid of the w/d, and you can taper off this drug to drop your tolerance really easily. it's easy to get for me, and i always have an extra 50 on hand for tapering off in case the supply goes away. let me know if you need more info.

exitwound
05-18-2006, 04:06 PM
so tramadol can really be combined with high-dose opiates? i have used them at times in the past, usually for withdrawal or for when I have no tolerance.....I was always under the impression that they partially blocked true opiates and therefore shouldn't be combined with them.

I take about 300mg of morphine (mscontin) per day, an average of 120mg of hydrocodone (but it varies widely) per day, and on some days I add a few cups of poppy tea either orally or "browned".

Not only for treating my chronic pain but also for enhancing the pleasurable effects of the opiates, does Tramadol have a place in this regimen? If so, what exactly do y'all suggest I do?

slugbone
05-19-2006, 11:15 AM
well exitwound, i have mixed tramadol and oxy and hydro (when i could get it) and it certainly didn't diminish the effects. tram is so much more easy to get right now, since it is a synthetic opiate. for me it definitely helped me get more high. i've gotten seriously bombed on tram and tylenol pms. the sleeping ingredient really kicks it into gear.

i would certainly say in my experience tramadol has helped me get a better buzz mixed with the opiates i mentioned above. with pods it has worked excellently. i get to use a little less grounds and get a good effect. for me, first i feel much better (i just think it is the painkilling aspects) then feel more awake. and tram lasts such a long time into the next day if i take 300 mg by 3pm, i can still feel it a little at 7am. then you get the nods later after a couple of hours. the "speedy" feeling some people get i think is just the mood enhancer part, then for me the pods take over and i get just as high laying down to sleep, that warm feeling in my legs, etc..

lucas45862
05-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Jacky, your post got me thinking...

I'm prescribed Effexor 225mg daily, but I am very inconsistant or non-compliant when it comes to taking it (for years). Then last week I started taking them again, 75mg to 150mg, then forgot for a day or two. I woke up in the middle of the night with these horrible, agonizing foot and lower leg cramps. Never had that before, with anything. I've been pretty short-fused and irritable, too, and so tired I fall asleep if I sit still for more than 10 minutes, literally. I finally got up and took more of my rx-ed morphine, and some xanax 2mg later... that same night. Usually, I don't combine, but this was getting bad and I HAVE to be up and functioning everyday from 5am to about 11pm.

Otherwise, everything else was the same. Is that the kind of "withdrawal" you experienced?

Forgive me, I know you are not a doctor, but I've seen you post about Effexor/Tram before and just wondered....

SWIM Is am on 300 mg of effexor a day and SWIM got bad leg cramps, so the doctor put SWIM on requip to treat it as restless leg syndrom and haven't had no more leg cramps from it.

aj11
05-23-2006, 03:02 PM
you get withdraws from Effexor. I was on 300mgs and ran out and had bad withdraws, comprable to a small hydro habbit, not as bad as herion though. The doctors don't tell you this shit but there are alot of websites devoted to just this.As for Tramadol I snorted it , swalloed it in large amounts and nothing happend but a headache,

Badly Drawn Girl
05-24-2006, 08:42 PM
so tramadol can really be combined with high-dose opiates? i have used them at times in the past, usually for withdrawal or for when I have no tolerance.....I was always under the impression that they partially blocked true opiates and therefore shouldn't be combined with them.

I was initially prescribed Tramadol and I swear, it was like taking an aspirin. Then I was prescribed Vicodin. I still had some Tramadol left so one day, when I was running low, I decided to take both meds at the same time. It was heavenly. Obviously my experience is limited but I can attest to the fact that they didn't, at least for me, block the high.

exitwound
05-24-2006, 09:36 PM
I was initially prescribed Tramadol and I swear, it was like taking an aspirin. Then I was prescribed Vicodin. I still had some Tramadol left so one day, when I was running low, I decided to take both meds at the same time. It was heavenly. Obviously my experience is limited but I can attest to the fact that they didn't, at least for me, block the high.

Well, I probably won't start doing it every day, but this is very interesting and I will definitely give it a try sometime soon to see how it works out.....

shainghi
05-24-2006, 09:39 PM
out of the blue has anyone delt with biotran?

exitwound
05-24-2006, 11:00 PM
check drugbuyers and virtualpainpals.com for info on them. no firsthand experience in my case, sorry.

shainghi
05-24-2006, 11:02 PM
when i was in hosp. my bup doctor visited me , and told the doctor not give me tramadol, because thay were addictive

shainghi
05-24-2006, 11:05 PM
exitwound, just wondering do have any experince with kratom?

dissident
05-24-2006, 11:29 PM
tramadol is addictive and if you take enough for long enough the withdrawls feel very much like any other opiate.. i was taking at least 1000mgs a day for about 6 months and when i stopped it felt like i stopped oxy.. i dont care what anybody says tramadol does cause withdrawl, i seen it! also i've heard it causes seizures and i could feel some seizure type activity when i was drifting off to sleep but i never had one... for some reason i would jerk awake and shit it was kinda scary.. enough so that i thought "hmmm can this stuff cause a seizure?" so i read about it and yup it can

Badly Drawn Girl
05-25-2006, 02:10 AM
when i was in hosp. my bup doctor visited me , and told the doctor not give me tramadol, because thay were addictive

Yes it is. I've heard some real horror stories from other chronic pain sufferers in regards to getting off of it.

HistoryofMadness
05-25-2006, 03:25 AM
out of the blue has anyone delt with biotran?

WTF??? You have got to be kidding me. These are pefect posts, posterchild posts, to showcase what annoys junkies and the recovering to hell and back. Frame 'em, they're masterpieces...

-H

exitwound
05-25-2006, 10:35 PM

just once, and assuming it really was kratom....i didn't find it the least bit useful. but i wasn't in withdrawal at the time either. it just made me feel edgy as if I'd had a threshold dose of really shitty, dirty street LSD.

johnny27
06-02-2006, 12:02 AM
I used to have a few perscritions for tramadol. Acutally it give me the nods at high doses, but the nod was not as nice as a proper opi nods, as there was no euphoria on the tramadol nod compared to a PT nod. Also i never really found it very enjoyable, it felt like a false synsetic (sp?) high, due to stimulation effect and slightly weird feeling probaly due to the serototin boost.
But it def stopped the WDs. It was for that reason i was perscribed tramadol, to keep me well while waiting to go into treatment centre.

exitwound
06-06-2006, 12:34 PM

Just a little bit, assuming that what I bought was really kratom. It didn't seem to be useful to me in any way, I felt no opiate-like effects that I could discern; just a weird, crappy ephedrine-like buzz that reminded me a little bit of the side effects of dirty street LSD. Obviously not a glowing report.

I want to try some high-quality product in the future when I'm tapering down from meds (I figure it'll happen a few times over the years for one reason or another, probably to get my tolerance in check since I'll probably be on opiates for the rest of my life and I'm already on OC80's before the age of 30!)

(inaudible screams)
08-07-2006, 01:10 PM
Ultram and now Ultracet have always been a drug that I have taken for my persistent pain. Before I became educated in the world of opiates I was under the impression that it was a 'non narcotic pain-killer.' It wasn't until I got to college and a friend learned about my prescription that I was 'filled in.'

This friend was a big abuser of pills and tramadol seemed to be his abuse of choice. He told me that if you take SIX+ of them you will definitely feel something. So I took his advice.

You definitely feel some sort of euphoric effect. It's nothing like hydro or oxy, but if you are into taking pills and feeling good it's another option. Its a feeling that lasts for a long time -- good if you want to lay in bed for hours and listen to some music. It was referred to as "riding the Tram Train" on campus.

The following day, after you have come down, is by far the worst hang over of any drugs/booze out there. I always had a pounding headache and any activity at all was met with resistance. It was probably this reason and the fact that the high was never quite as intense as any narcotic that kept me from really abusing the drug.

However, SWIM began taking lots of Ultracets on a daily basis, and long story short(er) his habit was intervened by family and friends. I still believe that his habit was psychological and not physiological.

Thanks for listening.

Sitar
08-07-2006, 02:25 PM
Out of many many people I know, including myself, who have taken Tramadol, I have NEVER heard of anyone having any kind of hangover the next day from it. Not saying that it's not possible, but surely a hangover is a rather rare occurance.

Tramadol doesn't provide quite as much euphoria as a typical opiate, but then again, it provides a nice stimulation and antidepressant effect, so overall it's a cool little drug. And it lasts a long damn time.

Personally, I really hope that Tramadol does not become a widely used recreational drug. As of now, it is probably the least abused of all the opiates, which is why it's not a controlled substance, and I hope it stays that way.

(inaudible screams)
08-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Well the hangover comes after taking six or more ultrams. I've never had any side effects when I am taking a normal dose, this includes any euphoric feeling.

I did give a girlfriend one pill once because she had a horrible headache. Once it kicked in she laid on the couch yelling "I WENT ON DRUGS!" This was not a statement of joy.

What a buzzkill :P