PDA

View Full Version : Opiates & Vision Problems

AnitaFix
01-18-2009, 09:02 PM
Alright well this is something I've encountered in my own case, as well is in some reading that I've done in the past (going to check back & try to post an excerpt from a book I found particularly interesting concerning the subject of vision loss & heroin use).

I wish I could provide some articles for discussion at this time but I am having trouble accessing my college account (there is a Database with nursing journals etc,.)

Ok the main issue I remmber reading about stems from the fact that opiates constrict the pupil, and this "pinned" effect creates the initial problem of reduced night vision. Also , the muscles responsible in this are stressed for exrensive periods and apparently some damage is caused if the eye remains in this state.. everything else is a bit of a blur, but I know the article mentioned a reduction/malfunction of the rods & cones (responsible for seeing shade , like b&w as well as colour saturation) deterioration of the pupil itself and so a decrease in vision acuity, short sightedness with the possibility of complete vision loss and so on.Although this article was very critical and one-sided, it did open something for the curious researcher to delve further into.

I've always had bad eyesight, but lately its been dropping way too fast, going from somewhere around -3 or four in one eye down to like -6. Obviously, those close to me link this to my drug use, trying to give me another reason to stop..but I always like a second opinion. those same people tell me they don't want any grandkids because the genetic info in my sperm has been altered through drug use & they fear a kin of little mosnters is the only possible outcome should i reproduce.

Chipper
01-18-2009, 09:10 PM
I have really bad eyesight and wear glasses but when pinned, I see everything better as everything is in focus. I doubt very much that opiates would cause any long term changes.

Opiates improve my vision - in fact, that's always been a real bonus to me.

chinaski
01-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Well it isn't the same but most of you probably remember Rush Limbaugh losing his hearing (supposedly) from his oxycontin abuse:

"Lorcet -- which, like Vicodin, is a mixture of hydrocodone and acetaminophen -- has been linked to sudden and profound hearing loss in patients who misuse or abuse the drug. First in 1999 and then more forcefully in the summer of 2001, physicians at the House Ear Clinic in Los Angeles warned doctors and consumers of a "possible correlation between permanent hearing loss" and hydrocodone-acetaminophen combinations such as Lorcet and Vicodin. The Los Angeles Times reported in September 2001 that doctors at House and other Southern California medical facilities had identified 48 patients who suffered hearing loss after taking exceptionally high doses of the drugs."

http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2003/10/07/rush_drugs/index.html

I think it's pretty hard to correlate opioid use with any of these problems, though. My intuition is that opiate use is far more benign than a lot of the drugs that come along with them (like acetaminophen, benzos, whores, ect ect)

-chinaski

chopstix
01-19-2009, 04:55 AM
I could see how having pinned eyes for longggggg periods of time (MMT or just mass amounts of junk) could cause damage through stress on the sphincter.

I'm weird. Opiates pin my eyes initially but if I start running, they don't pin that bad. People think I'm sick when I'm not, my eyes just don't reflect the amount of dope that's in my system. I dunno, my body just soaks the shit up and I can always do more.. Eyes might pin for an hour or so, but not for long..

Indy
01-19-2009, 06:58 AM
My eyes don't really get that pinned either. My vision seems to be just fine after all these years, it's when i'm withdrawing that my vision is fucked up.

StinkyPickle
01-19-2009, 07:07 AM
I have really bad eyesight and wear glasses but when pinned, I see everything better as everything is in focus. I doubt very much that opiates would cause any long term changes.

Opiates improve my vision - in fact, that's always been a real bonus to me.

lol superhuman junky vision.

pinn3d
01-19-2009, 10:19 AM
Yeah I've heard that some people have problems with their vision while they are detoxing, but then after they are clean for a while their vision is better than before... I've heard this from my uncle actually... He told me that in his experience, he does not need glasses while he is using opiates regularly, but while detoxing he needs to wear them for small print.... but after he has been clean for a while he ends up not needing glasses anymore.....

So I dunno.... maybe there is some kind of correlation between opiate use and vision, but I guess everyone has their own reaction to it.....

candy
01-20-2009, 01:30 AM
I think I will go ahead and take a look into this since I am not working right now
and bored to death!
Not even opiates could take away my boredom.....Just joking!!

OK, so it's loss of vision and opiates....I am on it!

Hoss
01-20-2009, 01:59 AM
My eyes will get pinned with the best of them, but one thing I have noticed is that when my brain is softly nestled within a warm, imaginary baby bird occupied valley comprised of a cornucopia of well-to-do opiates, my eyes will sometimes seemingly become extremely relaxed and while closing about half-way, my actual eye balls will kinda shake back and forth together very fast for a few seconds. It has occurred many times in that fashion and when it occurs I feel a wave of relaxation ecompassing my face and as such my eyelids will drop together a little bit, both in unison, and then my eyes will skake from anywhere between half a second to a few seconds. This is follwed by me opening my eyes all the way and regaining my regular line of vision. This sounds strange but it's true, and it used to happen much more often when my tolerance was much lower as I would get loaded obviously faster, but I still notice it these days when I really go on a "super happy-flaptastic tenaciously theoretical rip-roarin' opiated toboggan ride of the mind".

Went a little too far out there for that one, but hey - cheers to you.

geanine.aurora
01-20-2009, 02:04 AM
I think I will go ahead and take a look into this since I am not working right now
and bored to death!
Not even opiates could take away my boredom.....Just joking!!
OK, so it's loss of vision and opiates....I am on it!
If you need a test subject I volunteer!!!!! Maybe Purdue could grant you a huge stash of test product!
No, seriously I think what you're loking into sounds worth investigating. There's so much we don't know yet. I am also in the health field and always coming up with stuff I'd like to explore. Who knows? Maybe someday you will be submiting this as a thesis project or something.

digby
01-20-2009, 02:19 AM
I have taken all kinds of opiates including codeine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, dilaudid, fentanyl and levorphanol and the only one that cause any kind of vision difficulty at all was codeine. But night vision was so bad on this drug, that I was afraid to drive a car an night. It was like I couldn't see more than 5 feet in front of the car. It was scary. The other opiates I have taken for years, with no negative effects on vision in either daylight or at night. I don't know what caused that reaction, but from what I have read, loss of night vision is not an uncommon side effect from codeine.

candy
01-20-2009, 09:23 AM
I still have not found anything regarding opiates and long term effects on vision.

But, I found this and this is so cool.....

From Campbell's Psychiatric Dictionary:

Opiomania: The addiction to the use of opium and any of its derivatives.

We are all Opiomaniacs!

AnitaFix
01-20-2009, 10:26 AM
thanks everyone for helping me with this search. I am glad we did not turn up much, for then I would have to change my current outlook on opiates - dangerous, on par with warm milk :D

I did find one article titled "Heroin and Diplopia" in a batabase, so I'll post an excerpt here from the abstract about their findings/conclusions. Still pretty sketchy info though, since they are yet to discover the mechanism causing this.. kinda hard i guess when people are kicking and everything else is out of whack too.

Findings: A tendency towards a divergence of the visual axes appears to be present in heroin users, although when present it may not always lead to diplopia. Following detoxification intermittent esotropia or constant esotropia (convergence of the visual axes) can occur; if intermittent the angle tends to be small and diplopia present when viewing distance objects. Occlusion of one eye to eliminate the second image could encourage the development of a constant deviation. The deviation is not caused by a cranial nerve palsy. Constant deviations of this type are classified as 'acute acquired concomitant esotropia'. Relief from the diplopia may be gained by prismatic correction, and the deviation may then resolve spontaneously. Botulinum toxin or surgical intervention may be necessary in cases that do not resolve. Conclusions: Heroin use may lead to intermittent or constant exotropia and withdrawal may result in intermittent or constant esotropia. Awareness of the mechanism causing this may avoid referral to other specialties (e.g. neurology) and awareness of treatment modalities could encourage patients to seek appropriate help for relief of symptoms

candy
01-20-2009, 11:02 AM
Cool Anitafix for that great post about Heroin and vision changes!

It is always great when we can get good info regarding the potential problems
of our use and or how to fix those problems.

Although, I am not sure how my eye doc would feel if I told him I needed
a thorough exam due to my continued heroin use.
Who knows maybe he himself is a opiomaniac!

AnitaFix
01-20-2009, 11:12 AM
hah, yes thats a funny term.

My family is Russian, & the term for junky sounds like "NarkoMan" (narcotic + man)...

Now, for some reason, my mom must've heard the term "narc" in a show(which ofcourse MUST be the above, for short hehe) & whenver she find me high she starts calling me a narc lol/ No mom, I haven't been talking ot the authorities about your operation, you are safe for now.- she dont understand