PDA

View Full Version : Recreational MSIR with Methadone

reddragon3668
04-21-2006, 01:53 PM
I am new here and this is my first post. This place is great! I have so enjoyed reading the different post.

In 2000, I had back surgury. A year or so later, my pain returned and I had to begin taking pain meds again. I have taken everything from Loratab, Ocycontin, Demerol, Fentynal patches, etc. For the last four years, I have been taking Methadone. It really has been a great option for me. While I do not necessarily get a euphoric effect from it, it is a great analgesic for me. I take 160mg daily, usually all at once.

I also get sixy 15mg MSIR tablets a month for breakthough pain. I don't really need these, since the methadone keeps my back pain at bay fairly well. So, I try to use these MSIR tablets for a little "recreational" fun. However, taking them orally has proven to be useless. I fear OD'ing too much I guess, but have taken dosages as high as 180MG in addition to the methadone. I suppose it is the blocking effect of the methadone that keeps it from having too much affect.

If I were to snort it, what would be a good dose to start with? Is morphine powerful enough to breakthrough the methadone? Also, what is the best way to crush it? Does it burn when snorting? Is it worth trying?

oc80tn
04-21-2006, 02:51 PM
Red:
While I have never taken Methadone before, I do know several people in my pain support group who do and what I have been able to gather from them, the answer to your question is that you are probably not going to get much an euphoric effect from the morphine, even from insufflation (snorting). The methadone may not hinder the analgesic effect of morphine, but it will keep you from getting any high. That's one of the reasons it's the drug of choice for treating opioid drug dependency. It blocks the effect of other narcotics. How it does, I honestly don't know. I am sure there are other people here who could answer that one better than I could ever attempt to.
And again, I don't know if this method of delivery would enhance your recreational activities or not, but I am curious if injecting the morphine would bring the type of results you are looking for. Again, I am sure there are other people here who could better answer that question, too!

lucas45862
04-21-2006, 03:36 PM
I Was Wondering How Much Would A 5mg Methdadone Go For?

reddragon3668
04-21-2006, 04:00 PM
Red:
While I have never taken Methadone before, I do know several people in my pain support group who do and what I have been able to gather from them, the answer to your question is that you are probably not going to get much an euphoric effect from the morphine, even from insufflation (snorting). The methadone may not hinder the analgesic effect of morphine, but it will keep you from getting any high. That's one of the reasons it's the drug of choice for treating opioid drug dependency. It blocks the effect of other narcotics. How it does, I honestly don't know. I am sure there are other people here who could answer that one better than I could ever attempt to.
And again, I don't know if this method of delivery would enhance your recreational activities or not, but I am curious if injecting the morphine would bring the type of results you are looking for. Again, I am sure there are other people here who could better answer that question, too!

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking the same thing. Sort of hoping against hope. It has been about 20 years since I used needles. So, I am not sure that is an option. For a short time, when I was 18-19, I got in to shooting coke and some heroin. I am not exactly sure why, but my arms would bruise really bad. Perhaps it was dull needles or me just not knowing what I was doing. It was bad enough that I don't think I could keep it from being seen.

[/u]lucas45862]I Was Wondering How Much Would A 5mg Methdadone Go For?
I am not sure MSIR comes in a 5mg strength. But I just got my script filled today. I have to pay cash for mine. 60/15mg tablets (Mfg: Roxane) cost $20.22 retail. That is about $0.34 each. Of course, wholesale is much cheaper. So, I don't know if that helps any to figure out what a realistic street price would be. I guess it would vary from place to place. As in anything, availabilty has a lot to do with it. And, I can't imagine the street being saturated with it. HTH.

gene44
04-21-2006, 04:30 PM
I have been on high doses of methadone and I can tell you from experience that you are wasting the morphine.It is very difficult to feel the effects of other narcotics once you go above 100 mg per day.You might try to manipulate your methadone dose some.

reddragon3668
04-21-2006, 04:45 PM
I have been on high doses of methadone and I can tell you from experience that you are wasting the morphine.It is very difficult to feel the effects of other narcotics once you go above 100 mg per day.You might try to manipulate your methadone dose some.

The methadone is great as a pain reliever for me. Of all the things I have taken over the years, it helps pain wise better than anything. I prefer it for what I take it for. It also keeps my disposition pleasant, most of the time. So, I don't really need to get "high" per se, to make me feel better about life or me. But, I would like to have an extra good time from time to time. I know drinking with the methadone works great. But, I am an alcoholic and it would turn in to a daily practice in no time.

In light of what I have heard thus far, I think I will stop getting the Morph. I mean, it will save me 20 bucks a month. What do you mean by manipulating my dose?

lucas45862
04-21-2006, 06:40 PM
I was just wondering becuase i know someone that is selling there methadone and she gets 5mg pills and i think her prices are a little steep, but i don't know much about price with stuff like that. SHE Charges 2 mg methadone for 5 dollars is that a good price or is she ripping people off???

reddragon3668
04-21-2006, 09:15 PM
I would say she's ripping people off. I have never bought my methadone on the street, but I get 120 40mg tablets for $51.48. That is .43 retail.

Mokelly
04-22-2006, 07:46 AM
I was just wondering becuase i know someone that is selling there methadone and she gets 5mg pills and i think her prices are a little steep, but i don't know much about price with stuff like that. SHE Charges 2 mg methadone for 5 dollars is that a good price or is she ripping people off???
2 mg for 5 bucks! I charge 5 bucks for 10mg personally......

reddragon3668
04-22-2006, 08:54 AM
I have never seen a 2mg methadone tablet. Who is the manufactuer? Selling methadone to people can be a dangerous proposition. But at those prices, I hardly doubt most people could afford to kill themselves.:D

lucas45862
04-22-2006, 09:02 AM
I meant 2 5mg methadone for 5 dollars. Sorry for the confusion!

reddragon3668
04-22-2006, 10:33 AM
lucas, I just noticed your signature. I love it!!! Who cares about addiction when your in pain? Although, they say you can't get addicted with legitimate pain... I don't know about that. I take blood pressure medicine, and would get really sick if I stopped. Whats the difference? I hate the easy platitudes!

antony
04-22-2006, 11:07 AM
yea thats weird, had the same one till yesterday...

where did you find that?

jacky
04-22-2006, 12:19 PM
pain researchers are starting to use the term "iatraddiction" to explain habituation to opiates in people that need the medication, or use it responsibly.
they are trying to move away from explaining the use of a legitimate medication as being an addiction.

when I was on methadone I would keep the dosage around 30-50 milligrams. I found that I could drop my dose 10-30 milligrams and use other opiates and feel the effects given enough time for the methadone to start waning. I was on an out of state program though, so I got 6 take home doses a week, and could control how much methadone I was taking.

I am not claiming that the other opiates were very strong or anything. I was using oxy 80 milligrams when I would use other opiates, taking 40-80 milligrams at a time.

probably not the smartest thing to do.

reddragon3668
04-22-2006, 04:32 PM
I have found that small quanities of Methadone will often provide me a very nice analgesic effect. But, there is something in Methadone that seems to calm me and I need more to get that effect. Its not euphoric, but simply calming... that is the only way I can describe it.

Paregoric Kid
04-23-2006, 12:31 PM
just wanted to add my input here because it may be relevant. morphine and methadone is one of the best combinations of opioids possible in my opinion. 50-60mg of methadone and then once that kicks in 100-200mg of morphine (snorted) on top, wow that's fantastic, but if you have a higher tolerance that may not do it; then again if you have a low or no tolerance that type of dosing might kill you. if you're on methadone maintenance or just dose daily at like 70+mg then the methadone might blockade the receptors but I've never really experienced this.

jwalm
04-23-2006, 02:30 PM
ive never noticed that my consumption of methadone has effected me from feeling effects from other opiods.

well of course there is the cross-tolerance between opiods issue

but ive never noticed any antagonist recepter blocking issues

:)

reddragon3668
04-23-2006, 08:37 PM
just wanted to add my input here because it may be relevant. morphine and methadone is one of the best combinations of opioids possible in my opinion. 50-60mg of methadone and then once that kicks in 100-200mg of morphine (snorted) on top, wow that's fantastic, but if you have a higher tolerance that may not do it; then again if you have a low or no tolerance that type of dosing might kill you. if you're on methadone maintenance or just dose daily at like 70+mg then the methadone might blockade the receptors but I've never really experienced this.
That sounds interesting! I think I will give that a try in the morning! As for the methadone not blocking the effects of other opiates, as you and jwalm seem to experience, I have always thought the opposite. I thought that the reason methadone was given to people trying to kick an opiate addiction is because it will suppress the cravings and withdrawals, being a synthetic opiate itself, without creating the euphoria associated with other types of narcotics. I do not think that the mechanics of this is fully understood, and I am sure there are exceptions. Every person is different.

I can take my usual 160mg in methadone and take 150-180mg of morphine sulfate IR orally, and I don’t really feel that different. As I have said, I get awesome pain control. I agree PK, there is not a better pain cocktail available. But, I don't get "high."

I know that getting high is a very subjective thing. One thing I wonder about is if you are like me, and you have basically unfettered access to these types of meds, in reasonably large quantities, taking them regularly...daily, you actually get "used" to being ficked up. And, you really don't know how messed up you are until its taken away. You just get used to it... does that make sense?

reddragon3668
04-24-2006, 08:22 AM
The MSIR is definitely allot better if snorted rather than taken orally. I usually will take 30mg in the AM along with my other meds (Meth, etc). I crused it up this morning and it really gave me a better effect. I can't imagine, though, snorting 100-200mg. I mean, that would be allot of powder! Of course, I am not used to it either.

Paregoric Kid
04-24-2006, 04:01 PM
don't be fooled, that whole "methadone is given to addicts because it has no euphoria" is a bunch of bs. any mu agonist is going to have euphoric qualities at the right dose. being on the same dose of methadone for a time will kill the euphoria because your tolerance skyrockets. also, morphine taken orally is not nearly as effective as other methods of administration.

reddragon3668
04-25-2006, 10:21 AM
Speaking of "other methods of adminstration," is putting a MSIR pill (I get the tiny white pills, 15mg--Mfg. by Roxane) under your tongue and letting it dissolve better than simply swallowing it? Or, is it the same thing? It would take me forever to crush and snort 100mg of them, but letting them dissolve is so much easier!

Curio
04-25-2006, 11:24 AM
.. I take 160mg daily, usually all at once.
I also get sixy 15mg MSIR tablets a month for breakthough pain. I don't really need these, since the methadone keeps my back pain at bay fairly well. So, I try to use these MSIR tablets for a little "recreational" fun. However, taking them orally has proven to be useless. I fear OD'ing too much I guess, but have taken dosages as high as 180MG in addition to the methadone...
I'm kinda confused here...you fear ODing, but you have taken 180mg of MS, or double the dose of your daily mgs of Methadone medication a number of times?:confused:
Not to be judgmental, just trying to figure out how you are showing a fear of overdose in this case...I must be missing something...Are you saying you fear ODing so you have not been using it in an intravenous way?
If you're concerned about the IV route, but still wanting euphoria, you should consider at least doing an IM injection or rectally dosing it. When you take MS orally, you are losing over 50% of the potency of the active med by the liver filtering it out...also what was said about tapering down the methadone to allow the effects of the MS to come through is a good idea..basically methadone has such a long half-life and affinity for the receptor site that any other opiates don't really stand a chance to get through unless you wait until the methadone levels in your body are lower.
my .02, not that you asked for it, lol :)

reddragon3668
04-25-2006, 12:21 PM
Your .02 is appreciated! I think your confusion has confused me... LOL Not hard to do though. :) What I said (0r tried to say) is that my daily of dose of Methadone is 160mg. I don't take it exactly as prescribed. The mornings are my worst time, painwise, so I usually take a single 160mg dose in the AM.

As for the MSIR, I get 60 15mg pills monthly. I can take them every 6 hours if needed. I think the word "fear" is perhaps not the best word. What I meant was that taking TOO MUCH medicine is a concern for me. While I have been on 160mg of methadone for some time now, I do think it is a fairly high dose. So, I have rarely had the couage to take enough Morphine to punch through the Methadone. And, given weight to what you said, it would appear that unless I let the methadone level decrease in my body, the morphine probablly will not do so, ever. When I took the 180mg, which is the most I have ever taken at one time, I did not notice anything speacil. I don't think I would be comfortable taking any more. However, I would be willing to play around with different methods of administration. Such as I noted in an earlier post about putting one under my tongue.

candy
04-25-2006, 12:57 PM
I would imagine that at 160mg of Methadone, it would be difficult for you to feel any effect from the Morphine. I agree with the last post.

Has your doc prescribed the Methadone in that large of a dose and MSIR for breakthrough pain.

Since your looking to use the MSIR for recreational purposes, I would agree with ComaToes on decreasing your dose of Methadone quite considerably and waiting a while before taking the Morphine. Methadone has a long half-life and you may need to wait at least 24 hours, especially at that high dose before your going to feel any effects from the Morphine. Even after 24 hours you may not get the high your looking for. Then again you may....But in my opinion it may take more than a day or two to really feel the Morphine.

So, the Methadone has been prescribed for pain only? Just asking, not be judgmental in anyway!

reddragon3668
04-25-2006, 02:38 PM
Thanks Candy! Yes, the methadone is my main medicine for back pain; the MSIR is for breakthrough. I also take Valium as needed for back spasms. These medicines are prescribed by my family practicioner. I had back surgery back in 2000. Two level fusion (L4-L5;L5-S1) with 2 rods and six screws.

My pain level is managed well with the methadone. Sometimes, however, I do have to take the MSIR. I get a prescription every month, but do not always fill it (most of the time I do). Being in pain and not able to work is a pain in itself... So, to have a little euphoria would be a pleasant distraction. But I don't think I could lower my methadone dosage due to pain. It would sort of cancel out the feeling, if that makes sense. :(

Well, I am thankful for being adequately medicated. I have read horror stories here and in other places where legitimate suffers of chronic pain can not get what they need to help them exist.