PDA

View Full Version : What states have "behind-the-counter" codeine?

Indy
08-10-2008, 03:38 AM
The only two i know of are WA and TN, and that realllly doesn't help me. As far as i know it's cheratussin AC with 10mg codeine per 100 mg of guaifenisin(sp) in 5 ml, and you have to sign your name for it. I guess obviously i want to know if it's legal in MY state (wisconsin), but i'm sure other people could use the info too.

I've checkd my state's board of pharmacy website but it's like looking for a needle in a haystack.

Indy
08-10-2008, 03:55 AM
Nevermind, found it:

"2. If a schedule V drug is dispensed other than pursuant to a
prescription order, the dispenser shall make the record required by
s. 961.23, Stats., in a bound controlled substance V register at the
time of the transaction."

with the context it's surprisingly clear that they can dispense Schedule V's without a prescription.

irish
08-10-2008, 04:03 AM
Try it out and tell us, sounds like a cool loophole.

Indy
08-10-2008, 05:54 AM
I sent an email to a local pharmacist basically asking if it was prescription only, while pointing out that I "thought" it was technically legal to dispense at discretion of the head pharmacist. It's an independent pharmacy, not a chain, it's one of those 'olde tyme' pharmacies where they sell cooking oils and music boxes and stuff, basically where you see a lot of old people. But since it's an independent pharmacy i'm hoping he won't give me the same bullshit i'd get from walgreens. He's a good guy though, and i'm not going to lower my opinion of him if he DOES dismiss it with a "its our policy to not sell cheratussin without.....".

Indy
08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
I also vaguely remember someone telling a story a long time ago about someone who would go around with an older guy and get bottles every 30 days from all the pharmacies. Any experience is appreciated.

SynthMorph
08-10-2008, 09:30 AM
If you consider Canada a state, we have OTC codeine medications.

irish
08-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Yes we do have over the counter codeine, but unless you are opiate naive they are pretty much worthless.

SynthMorph
08-10-2008, 09:36 AM
When I was kickin I'd CWE one of those 200 count bottles of 8mg codeine and take 400mg 4x a day. Kept the worst of it at bay.

Narkotikon
08-10-2008, 11:47 AM
I also vaguely remember someone telling a story a long time ago about someone who would go around with an older guy and get bottles every 30 days from all the pharmacies. Any experience is appreciated.

I remember that story too. I can't remember who wrote it, but I do remember that they said they were in Indiana when they did it.

I've been interested in this too, in times of need (a.k.a. w/d) but I doubt I'd be able to find it, and--like others have said--I doubt it would work if you had any kind of tolerance. Good luck though. Let us know!

Edit: Hey, if you're in desperate need, and don't want to wait for the pharmacy, you could always get some seeds and make seed tea. I'm not sure if you've done that before, or if you'd even consider that, but it really really does help (especially if you have a low tolerance). I think I read somewhere where you said you had a low tolerance (40-60mg of hydro or something like that). If the seeds are good, I'd say a pound to a pound and a half should do it for you. Anyway, thought I'd mention that.

SurfRat
08-10-2008, 01:04 PM
^^I think Indy may have tried seed tea before one time but he didn't like it.:rolleyes:

You don't want to order like some T3 online?

Is it kind of your thing to remain more or less *legal*?

Narkotikon
08-10-2008, 01:09 PM
You don't want to order like some T3 online?

Is it kind of your thing to remain more or less *legal*?

Are these last two questions for me or for Indy? If they're for me, no, I don't care really if it's legal or not. I mean, if I had a choice between getting kick-ass pods and scoring on the street to get semi-decent H, I'd rather have the pods. But, if I was given a choice between T3's and H, I'd go for the H. But I'm assuming you're asking these last two of Indy.

Indy
08-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Any way i can slip under the system. And seed tea is my drug of choice actually, but sometimes its really nice to have something you can just drink without preparing. And codeine syrup goes really well with UV Cherry Vodka. Makes it actually easier to drink, try it sometime.

Narkotikon
08-10-2008, 02:39 PM
So did you get it? What did the pharmacist say?

Indy
08-10-2008, 02:58 PM
No, the only 24 hour places around here are walgreens, and it's corporate policy not to dispense it i THINK. and it's sunday so all the independent places are closed. hopefully tomorrow that pharmacist will reply to my email.

jonny-5
08-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Any way i can slip under the system. And seed tea is my drug of choice actually, but sometimes its really nice to have something you can just drink without preparing. And codeine syrup goes really well with UV Cherry Vodka. Makes it actually easier to drink, try it sometime.

when i was in seattle i ordered some T3s from an online pharmacy, and waited a while and they didnt come so i thought they got taken by customs. so anyway i started making seed tea, then one day they came in the mail and i had just drank some seed tea like 15 min earlier. so i took 3 codeines after already haven drank the tea, and let me tell you i got one of the most euphoric highs i have EVER had. they were really good seeds too tho. never had an opium high like that before or since.

SurfRat
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Are these last two questions for me or for Indy? If they're for me, no, I don't care really if it's legal or not. I mean, if I had a choice between getting kick-ass pods and scoring on the street to get semi-decent H, I'd rather have the pods. But, if I was given a choice between T3's and H, I'd go for the H. But I'm assuming you're asking these last two of Indy.

Yes, you have it right. Pardon the confusion.

Either way, I do appreciate and am interested in your response.

I was joking about the seed tea, but I guess maybe Indy hasn't posted much on seed tea lately.

Indy:
I always figure the online pharms are pretty safe as long as you only order small amounts, all that will happen is they will seize them. But that's not a guarantee and I understand wanting to stay "under the system."

defenestrate
08-12-2008, 01:50 PM
it's a schedule 5 "exempt narcotic" in NC. mom & pops only, pretty much, but many do carry it.

cactus31
08-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Hold on a second!!

Am I to understand that the state of Washington can sell this OTC?

I've never heard of this, wow.

Vancouver, WA is like 20 minutes from my front door, and it would be nice to have a stronger 'around the house' painkiller/good cough suppressant for whatever reason.

I'm not into codeine because it's too weak for pain relief, but it's a kick ass cough medicine and my GF is opiate naive enough to get some benefit out of it.

Can anybody confirm this before I call the pharmacy?!

Indy
08-13-2008, 01:50 AM
Hold on a second!!

Am I to understand that the state of Washington can sell this OTC?

I've never heard of this, wow.

Vancouver, WA is like 20 minutes from my front door, and it would be nice to have a stronger 'around the house' painkiller/good cough suppressant for whatever reason.

I'm not into codeine because it's too weak for pain relief, but it's a kick ass cough medicine and my GF is opiate naive enough to get some benefit out of it.

Can anybody confirm this before I call the pharmacy?!

The board of pharmacy website is a good place to start for anybody who wants to check. Washington's is actually really clear about it, unlike Wisconsin's.

http://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=246-887-030

That link should work, it very plainly states that pharmacists can dispense schedule V cough and diarrheah preparations.

pain-patient
08-13-2008, 01:56 AM
Michigan allows for so called "narcotic exempt" Schedule V drugs such as Robistuusin AC. I think to meet that schedule and the RX exempt" status (i.e., you just sign for it at the pharmacy like you now must do for pseudofed), the drug must have no more than 250 mgs. codeine in 120 ml of syrup.

SeVeN
08-13-2008, 10:06 AM
You can get cough syrup with codeine in GA. My freind works at an independent pharmacy and I Still cant for the life of me remember the name. Like DR or something like that. It contains small amounts of codeine a lot of Guefenisin (sp) and antihistamines. It wasnt great in my experience. The pharmacy keeps a log so you can only buy it every 2 weeks.

Narkotikon
08-13-2008, 12:22 PM
Indy, did you ever get a response from that pharmacy you e-mailed? If so, what did they say, and did you get the syrup?

halfalien_s4
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
well i dont know about the US sellin' OTC codiene, but i happen to know 4 a fact that Canada, Mexico, most all of Eurpe, Iran & Iraq (along with a bunch of others) all sell it OTC and sum countries like Mexico, even sell stuff OTC like Demerol, Morphine, Nubaine & Stadol (which i am both allergic to unfortubnatly), among many other opiates. And they sell all the stuff in pill form, & shot form (4 Im use). I'm not sure if they speciffically sell it anything 4 IV but it's not like someone could just shoot up with whatever they buy in IM shot form.). I've read stories about it and plus i have like a ton of books about every sort of pharmacuetical substance out there too. Including 3 PDRS, which i need to get an updated edition. anyhow i also know lots of websites about drugs n such , as im sure many of u go to the same ones as well as i. but if anyone needs mor info or wher eto find out about sumthing specific, im sure i can probably help out....

LorTabitha
08-13-2008, 03:01 PM
sum countries like Mexico, even sell stuff OTC like Demerol, Morphine, Nubaine & Stadol (which i am both allergic to unfortubnatly), among many other opiates.

I've been to farmacias in several Mexican towns and I've never seen OTC opiates. They do have some available, behind the counter (usually in another storage area/backroom) that you can purchase "with a Mexican prescription" (which usually means for an extra fee). They're not out on the shelf with the shampoos or vitamins. Most places I've been don't have anything stronger than "NeoPercodan" which is Darvon.

Which towns have you been in that have these things OTC?

cactus31
08-14-2008, 02:36 PM
Indy, thank you :)

I guess I can get some real cough medicine in WA next time I'm kept up at night by coughs!

Now, I wonder if they'd let me have it with an Oregon driver's license...

halfalien_s4
08-14-2008, 03:28 PM
i havent been myself actually, if i said that i do appologise, but, my dad and a bunch of his friends go down there regularly and ive just heard the stories from them. one was because this one time my dad's friend richard he works with broke his hand and refused to see i doc even tho it had to be set (ouch) and they all told me about having to by stuff OTC there.

halfalien_s4
08-14-2008, 03:29 PM
i cant remmerb the town thery wee4 in tho...altho i know it was a very poor part of mexico..i know that much, but then again, who knows how much of mexico is like that or not like that...

farmpkm
08-26-2008, 10:00 PM
No offense, but why does it even matter if you can get it OTC in the States? You can buy OTC-strength codeine with near-zero risk from lots of places (ie, http://www.chemistdirect.com.au/ (http://www.chemistdirect.com.au/-c-314_320_354.html)). I always keep a huge stockpile around in case of emergency. It ain't gonna get you high, but CWE some of these and a eat a hand-full of tramadols and you'll make it through even the worst of days.

Indy
08-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Well for one, that site charges $17 USD in shipping to the United States. Not to mention it would take at LEAST a week, so if you order it for withdrawal it'd be pointless. Plus even WITHOUT the shipping it'd be cheaper to buy it locally. Also, you get it right away as opposed to having to wait for it.

cactus31
09-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Sorry for bumping this month-old thread, but I just had something to ad.

I called around to a couple of pharmacies in WA state (around Vancouver, Battleground, camas, for anybody who cares), and they ALL said that they no longer do this.

??

That website says it's okay, maybe it's just the individual pharmacy's policy?

Anybody know about this?

BigPoppy
09-24-2008, 06:38 PM
I don't think any state in the U.S. sells over the counter codeine, And if a mum and pop place do then they are doing it shady. I know in Canada you can get it, but they are basically worthless because theres so much caffiene in them.

Indy
09-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I don't think any state in the U.S. sells over the counter codeine, And if a mum and pop place do then they are doing it shady. I know in Canada you can get it, but they are basically worthless because theres so much caffiene in them.

You should read the first page, it's not exactly "over the counter" but the pharmacist can sell it completely legally without a prescription. Check your state's board of pharmacy website to find out. Nothing shady about it. No caffeine either.

Tony
09-24-2008, 11:14 PM
I live in Texas and before the law changed aroung 1996 I
used to go to these Mom and Pop type Drugstores and you
could pretty much count on being able to get what they called
" Parapectalin". This was just like Kao-pectate with a small amount
of Paragoric in it! They even sold it at Walgreens.There was a limit,
but all you had to do was to go to another store or half the time they
did not even check ID. At the time I could actually catch a pretty good
buzz being on one bottle as I was fairly opio niave.

One druggist in Harlington made up his own special "in store"
stuff that was max whatever the law allowed. He knew what it was being
used for! I used to take my extended family and get 10 or 12 bottles!

If I remember him correctly the law changed either in Texas or
at the Federal level. Can't have dopers being able to stop those w/d's!!!!

Sorry I can't rembember the dosages per fluid oz. All I know is one bottle
did the job for me. And this was not just codene. It was camphorated tincure
of Opium.