PDA

View Full Version : What are you scripted for insomnia?

cactus31
08-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I've got occasional insomnia, especially when I'm out of narcotics...

So what does a doctor usually script when you complain of insomnia?

If Lunesta and Ambien aren't scheduled, are doctors pretty lax in writing for them?

Benzos?

I've already been scripted Amitriptyline and hated it, and diphenhydramine doesn't cut it all the time, so am I safe to just ask for sleep meds by name?

pharmboy
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM
Asking for drugs by name usually sends up red flags unless you are well

aquainted with your Dr.

For sleep Valium usually works OK but my fav. is Halcion, Dr.'s don't like

to write for it anymore though.

Poppylvr
08-09-2008, 06:45 PM

Husband & I are scripted Ambien. It works pretty well; I do NOT understand anyone getting high on it b/c for me all it does is konk me out. No lovely delicious drifty off to sleepy feelings like the old barbiturates or even Restoril, back in the olden days :).
I believe it's a schedule 4.
We just ask our doc for it by name & he gives us the 90 day cheaper through the mail in pharmacy scripts.
Also, Unisom works OK occasionally - beware of next day sleepies, though.

jonny-5
08-09-2008, 06:46 PM
i tried to get benzos and ambien from my sub doctor with no luck...she put me on trazadone first and since it actually does put me to sleep, i didnt try to get anything better. but from what i hear ambien is pretty easy to get scripted. doctors dont like prescribing benzos for insomnia unless its very short term, like just a couple weeks, for obvious reasons.

SHELLEY
08-09-2008, 07:12 PM
valium is #1
i take vistaril right now cuz i cant get my normal valium script
and for me it works about the same
but a lot of people don't agree with me on that
i'd go for valium

irish
08-09-2008, 07:24 PM
Temazepam is the best that I have come across, no hangover and it puts me out. Chloral hydrate is good too, but can have a nasty hangover, can be dangerous with opiates, and isn't prescribed much anymore.

jonny-5
08-09-2008, 07:25 PM
Temazepam is the best that I have come across, no hangover and it puts me out. Chloral hydrate is good too, but can have a nasty hangover, can be dangerous with opiates, and isn't prescribed much anymore.

oh man i love chloral hydrate. that stuff is awesome.

Brony
08-09-2008, 07:26 PM
I prefer Ambien. Knocks me out but doesn't give me a hangover the next day.

irish
08-09-2008, 07:28 PM
oh man i love chloral hydrate. that stuff is awesome.

I used to get big bottles of it from my doc, and abused the shit out of it. That was back when I was young and dumb, I'm kinda surprised I didn't kill myself on it. That stuff knocks you on your ass, like drinking a fifth concentrated into a little cup. A mixture of chloral and morphine is what killed Hank Williams.

chopstix
08-09-2008, 07:31 PM
Valium is great for insomnia (tho not so great last night) - (most) docs don't like to write for it though; it's also much easier to withdraw from than any other benzo so it's pretty ideal for even chronic insomnia as pretty much anything effective is also habit forming - valium is also very cheap..

Lunesta worked well for me, but it's expensive. Temazepam turned me into a benzo addict and started to seriously suck for sleep; Ambien fucked me up bad, I thought I had parkinsons or MS for awhile; Vodka and a good kick in the head usually works, herb can also help. A proper fuck can work wonders too..

Oh, and.. there's always opiates, best sleep med ever..

irish
08-09-2008, 07:34 PM

I find that opiates keep me awake when I take them right before bed.

bigNasty
08-09-2008, 08:57 PM
I used to get big bottles of it from my doc, and abused the shit out of it. That was back when I was young and dumb, I'm kinda surprised I didn't kill myself on it. That stuff knocks you on your ass, like drinking a fifth concentrated into a little cup. A mixture of chloral and morphine is what killed Hank Williams.
Never knew that, i thought it was just morphine that killed him. chloral is what killed marilyn monroe too, right?

clonaze-whammed
08-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Valium is great for insomnia (tho not so great last night) - (most) docs don't like to write for it though; it's also much easier to withdraw from than any other benzo so it's pretty ideal for even chronic insomnia as pretty much anything effective is also habit forming - valium is also very cheap..

Lunesta worked well for me, but it's expensive. Temazepam turned me into a benzo addict and started to seriously suck for sleep; Ambien fucked me up bad, I thought I had parkinsons or MS for awhile; Vodka and a good kick in the head usually works, herb can also help. A proper fuck can work wonders too..

truth is no benzos are great for insomnia.
sure they work brialliantly for the first couple of months, whether its val, xan, or clon - you will soon notice that the anxiolytics lose their hypnotic affect.
then you'll be asking preference on triazolam, temazepam, or nitrazepam (I assume you're not capable of legally being Rx'd flunitrazepam).

Save yourself the fucking hassle and keep at whatever you do now to fall asleep - whether its drink yourself into oblivion, smoke bud, swallow antihistamines, or masturbate profusely - dont burn out those GABA receptors.

Chi some help here? your rx quantity never ceasese to put me in awe !!

if any of the Z drugs currently do the job, then stick with it (Ambien)(Lunesta)(Zopiclone)...etc

Trazodone, an SSRI, I also found helpful combined with the ocassional Z-pill when escaping the benzo trap almost a year ago worked wonders - however never take a sleeper more than once in a 4-day period!

I would much rather have severe rebound anxiety than rebound insomnia.

that said, if you dont take my advice and fuck it up like any self-respecting internet foreigner would - then nice to meet ya - Im a benzo addict, we will have many a benzo WD to discuss.

safe.

jonny-5
08-09-2008, 09:34 PM
yea i forgot to mention that i can take trazadone for whatever period of time and not have rebound insomnia, which is cool. BUT if i take it for a couple weeks straight i start having really bad vivid dreams. the other nite i had a dream that my brother and my dad let my 10 and 7 yr old nieces drive the car, we werent in it but were walking along side it and they went off a cliff and one of them died. then i got blamed for it, and it was a fucked up situation.

then the next nite i had a dream that my friend and his sister were over and she had all these H balloons all over the house, i was being a good boy and not doing any but my pops came home and found a couple and started going ape shit on me, and i couldnt convince him that they werent mine no matter what i said.

last nite my friend and i got busted by the cops for planning to rob a bank.

at least im sleeping tho...

SeVeN
08-09-2008, 09:38 PM
For me the trazadone didn't work. If you go to your doctor on the regular he/she should be willing to help but it might take more than one try. My county health doctor wont give me shit but trazadone. So now when I go and he asks me if I use drugs I say yes because I cant get to sleep. So fuck him.

NV12
08-09-2008, 10:03 PM
might seem weak in comparison, but Seroguil has been pretty damn effective for me
those with a benzo tolerance might disagree
i don't have insomnia but feel sorry for those that do.... when i miss a little sleep, it has pretty bad effects on me

jonny-5
08-09-2008, 10:20 PM
might seem weak in comparison, but Seroguil has been pretty damn effective for me
i don't have insomnia but feel sorry for those that do.... when i miss a little sleep, it has pretty bad effects on me

not weak at all. seroquel (unless seroguil is something different, i assume youre talking about seroquel) is strong shit, puts me to sleep no matter what. have you ever noticed tho, that it will sometimes make your brain wake up when your body is still asleep? or you will wake up, get outa bed, go do something and realize youre still asleep, then wake up again and again and again always to find youre still asleep? and you try your hardest to wake up for real and it just doesnt happen. i forget what thats called...i hate that tho and seroquel does it to me if i take it for more than a couple nites.

SeVeN
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
not weak at all. seroquel (unless seroguil is something different, i assume youre talking about seroquel) is strong shit, puts me to sleep no matter what. have you ever noticed tho, that it will sometimes make your brain wake up when your body is still asleep? or you will wake up, get outa bed, go do something and realize youre still asleep, then wake up again and again and again always to find youre still asleep? and you try your hardest to wake up for real and it just doesnt happen. i forget what thats called...i hate that tho and seroquel does it to me if i take it for more than a couple nites.

Seroquel will FUCK YOU UP. And not in a good way. But it packs a hell of a knock out punch.

Nu Jerzey Devil
08-10-2008, 12:08 AM
lately I have been having trouble sleeping and I (as a pharmacist) have my own way to deal with insomnia. I am very safe with it, but I will use Ketamine or telazol (look it up.... its a Ketamine analogue mixed with a benzo.) Miraculously no hangover. This does WONDERS for my WDs to, I haven't had any. I do no recommend these to anyone who really isn't a health care worker or have knowledge of such. These are anesthetics. Good night.

Armegeddon73
08-10-2008, 12:41 AM
The variety of sleep-or "klnock out" drugs available on the pharm. market is staggering. The variety of effects these drugs have on individual patients is also staggering. Some work great from some people, while that same drug will be virtually useless for an entirely differnet population. Clonezpan makes me less anxious, but no longer helps with sleep. Lorazepan worked well for sleep for me. But I can't, legally, get both.
Beer, pot, well timed ope, that usually works by 200am. Peace.
ARM

jonny-5
08-10-2008, 01:19 AM
lately I have been having trouble sleeping and I (as a pharmacist) have my own way to deal with insomnia. I am very safe with it, but I will use Ketamine or telazol (look it up.... its a Ketamine analogue mixed with a benzo.) Miraculously no hangover. This does WONDERS for my WDs to, I haven't had any. I do no recommend these to anyone who really isn't a health care worker or have knowledge of such. These are anesthetics. Good night.

hmm...i am a healthcare worker and have MUCH experience with ketamine...but i have a feeling that telazol would be really hard to find. sounds like something that i would really like tho, maybe too much.

chopstix
08-10-2008, 02:31 AM
truth is no benzos are great for insomnia.
sure they work brialliantly for the first couple of months, whether its val, xan, or clon - you will soon notice that the anxiolytics lose their hypnotic affect.
then you'll be asking preference on triazolam, temazepam, or nitrazepam (I assume you're not capable of legally being Rx'd flunitrazepam).

Save yourself the fucking hassle and keep at whatever you do now to fall asleep - whether its drink yourself into oblivion, smoke bud, swallow antihistamines, or masturbate profusely - dont burn out those GABA receptors.

Chi some help here? your rx quantity never ceasese to put me in awe !!

if any of the Z drugs currently do the job, then stick with it (Ambien)(Lunesta)(Zopiclone)...etc

Trazodone, an SSRI, I also found helpful combined with the ocassional Z-pill when escaping the benzo trap almost a year ago worked wonders - however never take a sleeper more than once in a 4-day period!

I would much rather have severe rebound anxiety than rebound insomnia.

that said, if you dont take my advice and fuck it up like any self-respecting internet foreigner would - then nice to meet ya - Im a benzo addict, we will have many a benzo WD to discuss.

safe.

Your advice? And who are you again?? No offense dude, but I think I'm trusting my shrink, my research, my experience and three years of daily benzo aided sleep opposed to your entirely un-solicited advice - telling someone to drink heavily as opposed to an established, medically monitored sedative regimen makes you look really fucking stupid. Drinking more than a pint just knocks me out for four hours and I wake up hardly rested at all, a couple drinks with my meds is much more effective.

Valium works just fine for me, as long as it's quiet and I'm not kicking (and most nights it works under those conditions anyway). I know damned well what I'm doing and don't remember asking you for any advice, and "whatever I do now to fall asleep" is rather well established at this point, doctor, but thanks again.. :rolleyes:

BTW - Trazadone is a Tricyclic AD, not an SSRI, although it's used in conjunction with some SSRIs - it's a actually serotonin precursor antagonist and includes the side effect of priapism - no thanks. Please check yourself before posting bullshit.

And what the fuck does "self respecting internet foreigner" mean? Are you sniffing glue??

irish
08-10-2008, 02:52 AM
^^^^^^+1^^^^^^

Saint
08-10-2008, 03:37 AM
I'm scripted lorazepam, which helps but only when taking 2 mgs. 1 mg doesn't do the trick. It takes a long time to kick in though, about 2 hours. My doc cut me off though cos he won't prescribe benzos for over a 2 month period so I'll have to taper with the 20 mg I have left.
In the past nitrazepam used to work miracles. Too bad I can't get my hands on that stuff anymore.

I also can't sleep when I've taken opiates right before bedtime. Opiates are definitely not a sleep med for me.. I feel fine and not restless at all but my thoughts start running away with me and I drift in some sort of 'body is relaxed and wants to sleep but mind is wide awake-state' for hours.

NV12
08-10-2008, 08:57 AM

A little stoned, sorry- and my g's looked like q's... at least last night they did : )
Yeah- that stuff is pretty potent. I've never taken it long term though, so prob not the best advice....

Your advice? And who are you again?? No offense dude, but I think I'm trusting my shrink, my research, my experience and three years of daily benzo aided sleep opposed to your entirely un-solicited advice - telling someone to drink heavily as opposed to an established, medically monitored sedative regimen makes you look really fucking stupid. Drinking more than a pint just knocks me out for four hours and I wake up hardly rested at all, a couple drinks with my meds is much more effective.

Valium works just fine for me, as long as it's quiet and I'm not kicking (and most nights it works under those conditions anyway). I know damned well what I'm doing and don't remember asking you for any advice, and "whatever I do now to fall asleep" is rather well established at this point, doctor, but thanks again.. :rolleyes:

BTW - Trazadone is a Tricyclic AD, not an SSRI, although it's used in conjunction with some SSRIs - it's a actually serotonin precursor antagonist and includes the side effect of priapism - no thanks. Please check yourself before posting bullshit.

And what the fuck does "self respecting internet foreigner" mean? Are you sniffing glue??

:D Oh boy...

Nu Jerzey Devil
08-10-2008, 08:52 PM
hmm...i am a healthcare worker and have MUCH experience with ketamine...but i have a feeling that telazol would be really hard to find. sounds like something that i would really like tho, maybe too much.

Jonny, I think you are absolutely right about like Telazol. If you like Ketamine than I can almost promise you would love this stuff. Just like you said though beside the way I get it ( and it is not stocked at the pharm i work at.... I never mix business with pleasure if you know what i mean) I don't know how one would get it. I hope you have the pleasure to try it someday.

SeVeN
08-10-2008, 10:02 PM

LoL.

jonny-5
08-10-2008, 11:27 PM
Jonny, I think you are absolutely right about like Telazol. If you like Ketamine than I can almost promise you would love this stuff. Just like you said though beside the way I get it ( and it is not stocked at the pharm i work at.... I never mix business with pleasure if you know what i mean) I don't know how one would get it. I hope you have the pleasure to try it someday.

me too. but having been a benzo addict, and having a 10 month ketamine binge in the past im sure it would just cause trouble for me, i am interested tho to try it at least once. ill keep my eyes open.

edit: i looked it up on wiki and i noticed that like ketamine it comes in injectable amps. do you personally IV it, or evaporate the liquid and make a snortable powder like many do with K?

Consumed.
08-11-2008, 12:40 AM

I have to agree seroquel is one of the best drugs there is for sleep, that is once you are VERY used to benzos and they dont make you sleep. Thing that sucks about seroquel is it's an antipsychotic and it doesnt have a pleasant effect when kicking in. In fact when kicking in it just feels like something is literally knocking you out.

NV i dont understand what mean by those with a benzo tolerance might disagree. It those without a tolerance that can pop a benzo and get a good night sleep

Seedy
08-11-2008, 01:05 AM
While it's not a sleep aid, getting on daily citalopram has completely sorted out my insomnia (assuming I'm not kicking of course). I used to be a very light sleeper, any noise would keep me up, I'd wake up at 4am and not be able to get back to sleep.... It sucked. TBH I was amazed that citalopram actually worked at all, let alone cure the worst of my depression and my insomnia (after a few weeks of acclimitising to it of course). I haven't told my dr. though so I can enjoy my bi-monthly clonazapam prescription :)

chopstix
08-11-2008, 02:02 AM
Re: Seroquel; there's just something about taking an anti psychotic commonly prescribed to *acute* schizophrenics for insomnia or anti-anxiety that doesn't sit well with me. I mean, ya, it'll knock ya out, so will thorazine and other chemical lobotomies - seems a bit overkill.. I just don't trust the FDA, Seroquel is prescribed to a huge number of Alzheimer's patients (%30 in Britain in 2k5) - that's a terminal disease, why not prescribe them something that could permanently fuck up their neuro chemistry and see what happens? Then go write a paper/book and make a bunch of money..

There's just way too many mechanisms involved for me on that one, I'll stick to tried and tested..

Here's one good reason to avoid anti psychotics; shit like this is all I need to read: NMS (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuroleptic_malignant_syndrome)

irish
08-11-2008, 02:54 AM
I agree completely. I refuse to take medications for their side effects. I'm not psychotic, so I'm not going to take seroquel. Docs seem to love to give out anti-d's for anxiety and insomnia, well, I'm not depressed so I'm not going to take that either. I've had too many bad experiences with psych drugs to want to fuck around with them.

clonaze-whammed
08-11-2008, 03:42 PM

Hi Chopstix, your response is appropriate, as I cant even remember posting it, I was not in a coherent state at the time, although my spelling must have been a complete a fluke for someone who had to eyeball the keyboard with one eye just to get a message across, albeit acting the dickhead.

Allow me to me more courteous this time:

@who am I and why does my opinion count - Ive been on clonazepam for the last 3 years also (Rivotril where Im from) and have kicked only once for a 6 month period in the last 3 years, so I am familiar with the daily cunt-monkey that is benzo-WD's.

Although I regret the drunken condescending tone that I took in my original response - I stand by my reasoning. The anxiolytic benzo's (vals, xans, clons) will loose their hypnotic affect after a month of daily usage. At this stage you will plateau and the medication will be genuinely helpful for general anxiety of any type, but not for insomnia, in my experience.

then they're is the hypnotic benzo option, which Ive also experienced from a handful of times when I made a weekly dose drop when tapering to combat the insuing insomnia, the singel time I kicked. In addition to some black-market scores to end a heavy night on stims. I firmly believe that people should not go down the hypnotic benzo route (triazolam, temazepam, nitracepam, flunitrazepam, flurazepam) if there is anything they can do to help it - this was my main point, admittedly phrased very poorly.

firstly, the rebound insomina from kicking a hypnotic is unforgiving and relentless, so the decision is to take them for life, or not at all. If you decide to take hypnotics indefinitely and plateau on those - What then is your advice Chopstix ?

I was foolish to advocate drinking as a serious alternative, no question about that. Also classifying Trazodone as a SSRI as opposed to a trycyclcic AD was merely a drunken slip - but at low doses (below the AD dose) it is helpful for sleep.

To summarise - the hypnotic benzos are only indicated intermittently for chronic insomnia, ie the last route you should try and even then not more than once or twice a week. The anxiolytic benzos will not help insomnia after a month or 2 of daily usage, though will help you enormously if you genuinely have anxiety.

My point is that if there is anything the OP can do to avoid this route, then they should rule out all other avenues first, my harsh stance initially obviously stems from the fact that Im pissed off being in the benzo trap, when this could possibly have been avoided with more excercise, a better diet, and less stims - this advocation rings more true than 'the drinking into oblivion and masturbating profusely'.

But yes Chopstix, I accept you criticism at the way that I initially handled that drunken response, and I apologise. More tact, courtesy and understanding was needed on my part.

I know you also realise that this is a forum populated by a community of people regularly taking mood and mind altering substances, so there's bound to be conflict, on any given day.

Take care.

LorTabitha
08-11-2008, 05:27 PM
I tried trazadone (it made me sleep. and sleep. and sleep. zzzzzzz. I couldn't wake up!) Then I got by with Nyquil and other OTC sleep aids. 3 months ago my therapist prescribed a low dosage of Remeron. It doesn't help me fall asleep but once out, I stay asleep and wake up refreshed. No wacky dreams or other side effects so far, other than slight food craving (which my therapist had warned me about). So far, so good! :)

clonaze-whammed
08-11-2008, 05:31 PM
I tried trazadone (it made me sleep. and sleep. and sleep. zzzzzzz. I couldn't wake up!) Then I got by with Nyquil and other OTC sleep aids. 3 months ago my therapist prescribed a low dosage of Remeron. It doesn't help me fall asleep but once out, I stay asleep and wake up refreshed. No wacky dreams or other side effects so far, other than slight food craving (which my therapist had warned me about). So far, so good! :)

I know I say this quite often - but remenber when a decent sleep was un-scripted, un-adulterated and chemical free?

Oh to be 8 years old again.

clonaze-whammed
08-11-2008, 09:33 PM

I dont think any self-respecting internet foreigner would admit to sniffing glue.

foreigner - Im from a small Island nation with a population of 4 million, different to that of the OP
internet - medium for communication
self respecting - depends whether the glass is half full or half empty

was basically saying I didnt expect the OP to take the advice of some random alien punter on the net anyway, and thankfully you might add, as we've established some of the adivce was pure horseshit.

take care.

SurfRat
08-11-2008, 09:57 PM

Oh to be 8 years old again.

God no.

At least now when I am awake at night I don't have the additional anxiety of my father yelling at me.

that's just another hell
worse for some
and one can only hope
maybe better for others

cactus31
08-11-2008, 10:44 PM
Thanks for all the response :)

Fuck it, I'm just gonna ask the doctor for what she thinks is best in conjunction with my hydrocodone for SLEEP.

Those pills work only for half the night, then I wake up in pain again...usually not to get back to sleep. I am SO FUCKING SICK of not sleeping....I mean, ONE good night's sleep I'd sell my soul for.

I had some Ambien 12.5 mg ER tabs....can't find them :(

I found a box of wine instead.

Cheers.

clonaze-whammed
08-11-2008, 11:06 PM
Thanks for all the response :)

Fuck it, I'm just gonna ask the doctor for what she thinks is best in conjunction with my hydrocodone for SLEEP.

Those pills work only for half the night, then I wake up in pain again...usually not to get back to sleep. I am SO FUCKING SICK of not sleeping....I mean, ONE good night's sleep I'd sell my soul for.

I had some Ambien 12.5 mg ER tabs....can't find them :(

I found a box of wine instead.

Cheers.

Hi Cactus, if you are in desperate need a nights sleep, an intermittent hypnotic benzo will do the job for a night's relief (situations like that are what they are indicated for)- but it isnt a viable long term solution for chronic insomnia. Its a temporary fix, and as mentioned the rebound insomnia if used daily for a short period is so vicious that it will leave you praying for your normal insomnia to return (at least you're sleeping for half the night)

for chronic insomnia your doctor is likely to tell you that root causes need to be addressed, whatever those maybe. But do enquire about off-label Trazodone use as a sleep aid, perhaps even a nightly dose of promethazine could work in your case. Also discuss soma (carisoprodol), zolpidem and zopiclone.

Your likely to leave the doctors office with the 'more exercise & better diet' spiel, but your doc should also prescribe you a hypnotic benzo for sporadic/intermittent usage as your insomnia is chronic. Temazepam is probably most suitable as it's half life will result in around 9 hours uninterrupted sleep.
Just dont make the gigantic mistake of nailing them nightly if you are prescribed a hypnotic benzo. Ive made that mistake in the last 3 years and I wouldnt wish the resulting damage on my worst enemy.

sleep has always been a contentious issue for me. I hope you get things sorted.

good luck.

LorTabitha
08-12-2008, 11:41 AM

It sounds like you need an extended release (ER) med for nighttime use (such as ms contin, oxycontin, etc.) instead of instant release (IR) hydrocodone.

The ER med would release meds throughout the night and hopefully better control your pain.

I use a combination of both and it works the best for me.

Consumed.
08-12-2008, 02:33 PM
I agree completely. I refuse to take medications for their side effects. I'm not psychotic, so I'm not going to take seroquel. Docs seem to love to give out anti-d's for anxiety and insomnia, well, I'm not depressed so I'm not going to take that either. I've had too many bad experiences with psych drugs to want to fuck around with them.

i agree man, but if you're kicking or really used to benzos and really have a hard time sleeping seroquel will do the trick for some real sleep. And docs do love to give out anti psychs for anxiety it sucks. But benzos really only work for so long and after a while just wont work....

And really you dont have to be psychotic just cause you to seroquel to sleep. You dont have to be a thief, liar, or loser just cause you're an opiate user either though most of society says you are.

irish
08-12-2008, 03:11 PM
The last time I took seroquel to sleep I took 1 tab (25mg?) and thought I was going to die. My heart was pounding and skipping beats, Iwas extremely dizzy, and everything looked 2 dimensional like I had no depth perception. My girl was listening to my heart and said that it was definitely skipping so I know it wasn't just anxiety.

I have also had some really weird side-effects with ssri's, bad rashes, itching, bad insomnia while feeling really sleepy, and loops in my thought process where I would do something and then repeat it without realizing that I had already done it. When I was in the hospital last year I told the shrink that I had gotten rashes from ssri's and she said that she had never seen any adverse reactions in a hospital setting and put me on them anyways. I got a nasty rash from the tops of my ankles up to my waist. When I pointed that out to her she said that it must be from the detergent that the hospital uses. Problem with that is I was wearing pajama pants that I brought from home and sleeping topless. If the detergent was the problem I would have had the rash on my torso. She refused to see logic and told me that I must be causing it somehow(?). When I refused to take the meds anymore she threatened to cut me off of my pain meds. I called my pm doc and he tore her a new one. Some docs seem to think that any problem you have with a medication is a ploy to get something that you can abuse. Madhatter was my roomate in the ward and probably has some stories about the docs there too. Sorry about the ramble, I just got my benzo's refilled.

SurfRat
08-12-2008, 03:45 PM
^^
That's a thing with some doctors.

They can memorize like crazy but they are incapable of processing information. Either that or just ego, which is also common in those circles.

Good thing you had a real doctor on your side.

irish
08-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I heard some other stories about the shrink that I had. Apparently there was a woman who was suffering from post-partum depression, and this twat of a doctor told her to "just snap out of it" or she would have her children taken away. If you got on her bad side, or if she was just having a bad day she would try to make you cry. If she got you to, she would smile and was obviously getting some enjoyment out your suffering. If you didn't cry she would say that you were being uncooperative or belligerent and try to get you put in a locked room for a couple of days or have you chemically restrained. I saw this happen with one guy who just stood there and took the abuse with a smile(oh yeah, she would do this in the hallway for everyone to see) and she had him chemically restrained. I talked to one of the nurses(whom I was frienly with) about it afterward and he said that he gave the guy the restraint shot, but only gave him the valium so he would have a good time rather than being completely out of it. Luckily this shit-eating-cunt of a doctor is being forced to retire with only a partial pension. She really should be in jail though.

pjdorman
08-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Ativan works great for me.

cactus31
08-12-2008, 10:02 PM
clonaze-whammed,

Yeah, I think it's a short term thing...hopefully. I know what your saying about the doc wanting to get to the root of it. My mom has been in an overnight sleep study for the past two Mondays because the doctor got tired of writing her scripts for Ambien and Xanax!

I usually sleep very well, but lately, maybe in the last month or so, I wake up in pain or just can't get to sleep in the first place. Thanks for the warning, I don't need this problem getting worse.

LorTabitha,

I think that's what's going on and hopefully the doctor will recognize this and script me some ER med as well...I think I'll try and hint around about it. because that's what it is several times a month (10+)...I get to sleep just fine and wake up hurting, then I can't go back to sleep, and I hate waiting for the vics to kick in.

bigNasty
08-13-2008, 02:53 PM
I think that's what's going on and hopefully the doctor will recognize this and script me some ER med as well...I think I'll try and hint around about it. because that's what it is several times a month (10+)...I get to sleep just fine and wake up hurting, then I can't go back to sleep, and I hate waiting for the vics to kick in.
you need to ask for a better nightime opi. hydro is usually a more stimulating/speedy type of opi. I have to wait for hydro to wear off before i can sleep, I really couldn't take em in the middle of the night unless i planned on getting up and starting my day. a dr might give you tylenol 4's if you play it right since they aren't that strong anyway and they would probably help you sleep

halfalien_s4
08-13-2008, 05:04 PM

If Lunesta and Ambien aren't scheduled, are doctors pretty lax in writing for them?

Benzos?

I've already been scripted Amitriptyline and hated it, and diphenhydramine doesn't cut it all the time, so am I safe to just ask for sleep meds by name?

well in the past ive been put on ambien, sonata, 7 have even tried unisom. the ambien back then worked the best for me. but since i found my latest PCP which was yrss ago, hes scripted me 30 15mg restoril a month. which works perfectly 4 me. i always take it between like 11pm & midnite, and i wake up at between 8 & 9am the next morning feeling refreshed....like i actually got sum sleep, and it leaeves me with no "hung over" feeling if ya know what i mean. im also scripted Seroquil & Remoron (an older anti-depressant) 4 both to help me sleep also and to increase my appitite since im trying to gain weight. on the nites that i take half of 1 of my 1mg K-Pins, it just all relaxes me off to sleep...its great....;)

cactus31
08-25-2008, 06:13 PM
Well, I went to the doctor this morning (my new doc that I was txferred to...same office)

I ended up with Ambien, 10mg...qt. 10.

Doctor said if I like the first ten, she'll script for 30 day supplies at a time :)

I'm happy with my new doc too...she's really laid back, we love the same football team (hella Steelers fans), and she's cool with writing my narcotic scripts without my coming in every other month.

Yay!

Tonight may shape up to be an interesting series of events with this Ambien...

AND: Thanks all for your advice and direction.

Inspektahdek
08-25-2008, 08:02 PM
ALPRAZOLAM TAFIL (Xanax=USA)

also CLONIDINE, these are both really potent meds that when I have them keeps me off the booze completely which is a good thing, even though I only drink beers.

Here's some CLONIDINE info, it's a great medication because it's used for opiate detox, chest pain associated with rapid heartbeat, alcohol withdrawal, etc. Just read this:

Clonidine- is a direct-acting α2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha-2_adrenergic_receptor) adrenergic agonist (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenergic_agonist) prescribed historically as an antihypertensive (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antihypertensive)neuropathic pain (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuropathy), opioid (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opioid)detoxification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detoxification), sleep hyperhidrosis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_hyperhidrosis), anaesthetic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anaesthetic) use, and off-label (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-label), to counter the side effects of stimulant (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stimulant) medications such as methylphenidate (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylphenidate) or amphetamine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphetamine). It has found new uses, including treatment of some type of accepted treatment for insomnia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia), as well as for relief of menopausal symptoms. Clonidine is increasingly used in conjunction with stimulants to treat attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ADHD)), for which it is administered in late afternoon or evening for sleep, and because it sometimes helps moderate ADHD-associated impulsive and oppositional behavior, and may reduce tics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tic).[1] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonidine#cite_note-0) Clonidine can also be used in the treatment of Tourette syndrome (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tourette_syndrome).[2] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonidine#cite_note-dude-1) agent.

Look at all those nice uses for this great medication, and it's a non-narcotic, you can basically ask for it by name. I received some the other day just by saying I've tried it before and I have, many years ago, and said it helped alot with anxiety and insomnia. Before I was RX'd something called INDERAL, which is CLONIDINES bitch, about negative 20 X effective. And that inderal was giving me night terrors, horrific ones, very vivid.

alexnt
08-25-2008, 10:35 PM

Benzos?

resorcinol
08-27-2008, 07:28 PM
Scripted Ambien 10 mg prn for insomnia.

also scripted Serax 30 mg prn for anxiety/panic, but pdoc said I could use it to sleep in place of ambien if I run out of ambien and don't have the refill yet.