PDA

View Full Version : Help... Needle broke off in arm!!!!

SubliminalPoet
07-19-2008, 10:03 PM
SWIM was recently shooting up with an old rig & when he was poking around to get a vein, the needle broke off in his arm? Its been like 12 hours and there is no pain or anything. I was just wondering what are the consequensces <<(Spelling) of leaving it in? Has thin ever happened to anyone else?

Peace and thanks for the help.

Consumed.
07-19-2008, 10:05 PM
yeah its called infection and abcess

eveline
07-19-2008, 10:15 PM
Don't know anything personally and I won't even speculate, but I just saw an old thread about this the other day...
http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=7238
Hope this helps...

rockbottom
07-20-2008, 12:49 AM
a super strong magnet will get it out --might have to go to a machine shop and bribe--a worker or as a last resort the ER ~Peace~RB:cool:

pharmboy
07-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Are you shitting me ?

Well if the needle is small and in the vein it could take a ride through

your veins to who knows, your heart , brain. You deff. need to get it out

quick.

Dan Steely
07-20-2008, 01:03 AM
Bad timing(wknd). After hours med ctrs are less $ than er's. Pretty sure you need to have professional med attn. Can't get it with tweezers?

Be smart about this. Good luck.

How did this happen?

SeVeN
07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS!?!?!?!?!?! Cut your god damn freind till you get it out. Yes big possible problems. HOLY SHIT.!!!!

nick
07-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Yeah,your not the first and I doubt you'll be the last.These are your choices;

1.Get a stanly knife and a pair of pliers and extract it yourself.
2.Leave it and monitor the situation.If you don't notice anything....life goes on.
3.Get to an ER.

I'd already be at an ER and not discussing it on the net.

underide
07-20-2008, 05:25 PM
a super strong magnet will get it out :cool:

You have got to be kidding me! ^^^^^ Really??
'Most likely a joke

For some reason i think the only thing that might help at this stage is surgical intervention if you could not extract it yourself by now, and if i were you i would waste no time on no magnets, no matter how strong. But that's just me. And forget machine shops, i would just go see a doctor if i were you

Get to a doctor, asap, is what i would probably do.

let me guess - you were using microfines or ultrafines, right? those things are best for keeping veins healthy, due to being so thin, but your case illustrates a good reason why they were not desinged to be used for IV injections, but for SC. They are simply quite fragile and probably do break off every now and again inside the vein of a user.
Thats why you should ALWAYS use fresh needles, especially if they are ultrafines/microfines diabetic needles
Sorry this had to happen to you, hopefully you can sort this out fast.

jonny-5
07-20-2008, 05:40 PM
this has happened to many people. since it isnt in your blood stream (believe me, youd know if it was, youd either be dead or having horrble pain and other things) dont stress too much. peices of metal and other foriegn bodies get pushed out of the body, its one of the bodies defense mechanisms. obviously if you get an infection, then go to the doctor, otherwise this situation will play out fine. ask DBOYjake about pieces of metal making their way out of the body on their own.

Chicago
07-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Bro, Im sorry I don't no 2 laugh or 2 assume other:rolleyes:

Are you shitting me ?

Well if the needle is small and in the vein it could take a ride through

your veins to who knows, your heart , brain. You deff. need to get it out

quick.

Yeah,your not the first and I doubt you'll be the last.These are your choices;

1.Get a stanly knife and a pair of pliers and extract it yourself.
2.Leave it and monitor the situation.If you don't notice anything....life goes on.
3.Get to an ER.

I'd already be at an ER and not discussing it on the net.
exactly, I seen this happen it's NOT gonna kill you, but I seen pple fuck w/it till it ripped out. Only way I would go 2 da E.R. is if was in my neck or cock.....

Off topic, but on friday I think i was getting my blood drawn & the nurse says Dan u got Really no veins left after 15yrs what if ya o'd? Then she went on 2 explain on how woman shoot in their "clit" area, now u got me on how that can be done.

Opiyum
07-20-2008, 09:28 PM
I dont think this is as big a deal as most are making it out to be. I would bet its damn near immpossible for a needle to be sucked up someones vein and then thru the circulatory system and if it had broke off while he was in the vein he would certainly have blood squirting out of it.
bullets, bee bee's shrapnel and lots of other metal objects can be lodged into a persons body and said person can live a normal and happy life with the foreign object there.
If it doesn't infect and it doesn't hurt than as nick said life goes on. I cant imagine why you would not be able to remove it yourself though. I would think some of it would be sticking out and if not that you would be able to coax a little bit of it out so you could grab it with tweezers.

Chicago
07-20-2008, 10:15 PM
bump 2 this kat here......:cool:
I got 1 bullet still in my leg & 2 went threw. They can't take this one out, so they gonna keep it in.
so the point is needles are meant to be put in you. So chill to the op.

I dont think this is as big a deal as most are making it out to be. I would bet its damn near immpossible for a needle to be sucked up someones vein and then thru the circulatory system and if it had broke off while he was in the vein he would certainly have blood squirting out of it.
bullets, bee bee's shrapnel and lots of other metal objects can be lodged into a persons body and said person can live a normal and happy life with the foreign object there.
If it doesn't infect and it doesn't hurt than as nick said life goes on. I cant imagine why you would not be able to remove it yourself though. I would think some of it would be sticking out and if not that you would be able to coax a little bit of it out so you could grab it with tweezers.

clinton
07-20-2008, 10:20 PM
maybe if you are still feeling uncomfortable call a nurse,er,docs office and seek their advice

SubliminalPoet
07-21-2008, 12:36 AM
After 24 hours SWIM says its no problem... It was just scary as hell when it happened?? We were like WTF?? Is he gonna die? IF it gets to be a problem, SWIM will defenitly visit an ER.

Thanks for the replys.

pharmboy
07-21-2008, 01:13 AM
Maybe you could get your arm x-rayed , say you have tennis elbow or something.

And then OHH wow whats that ? That must be the thing the aliens stuck in

my arm when I was abducted.

irish
07-21-2008, 01:17 AM
If it were me, it would be time to get out the x-acto knife, a pair of tweezers, and get bloody. The idea of a needle just sitting there in my arm just makes me cringe.

underide
07-21-2008, 02:42 AM

You're forgetting the simple fact that bullets and shrapnel would probably be a lot more sterile compared to an old needle that has been used before (according to the OP himself) and most likely had small rancid blood particles already inside of it.
That could cause major infection since a lot of the time only a microscopic particle is enough to cause it. And rancid blood is really good at causing infection, i know that first hand.

Also, i think what jonny-5 might be refferring to when talking about the metal from the needle traveling through your circulation, is the fact that when any small piece of metal breaks, there is likely to be very small fragments (possibly close to invisible to the naked eye) that crumble away from the main length of the needle as it breaks off inside your vein. It is those fragments that can cause a lot of damage, even death, if you are unlucky enough to have had the needle break off deep inside your vein.
Apart from that i think i have actually heard that depending on the vein you've used, it can be possible for the whole length of the needle to travel to different parts of your body through circulation. In the unlikely case that does happen, it could be really bad news for the OP and his loved ones.

Ofcourse, hopefully that is not the case here.
But it's been said here many times before - better safe than sorry.

irish
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
Shrapnel is nowhere near sterile, it depends on what blew up, but it generally carries a lot of dirt and other crap with it. Bullets are sterile due to the heat generated when they are fired, but the shit they drag with them like pieces of your clothing and skin are far from sterile. I don't want any foreign objects inside me, but I'd take the needle over the other two anyday.

jonny-5
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
the sterility is not the issue, if its not sterile he will get an infection and go to the doctor and take some antibiotics, assuming he has no immune system to fight it off. and that is pretty unlikely. it can happen, but prolly wont.

and yes his body will push the broken tip out on its own.

this isnt a big deal. this happens a lot.

underide
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
^^^ oh i see, that's right...
He's a mod. can't be disagreeing with a mod, now, can we?? ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i'm only buzzing, though. (or am i?)

Opiyum
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM
You can disagree with me all you like. It's something I'm used to. My .02cents is no more valuable than anyone else's whether they are a mod, admin or regular member.

underide
07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
^^^ And that's why you're a mod, i guess ;)
But hey, i guess it's alright to assume that mods' opinions are usually worth more that those of the general members. (it probably is, in most cases, or at least concerning certain subjects)
I guess i just like to argue sometimes. (Havok has met his match - me)

ZodiacKiller
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
But hey, i guess it's alright to assume that mods' opinions are usually worth more that those of the general members. (it probably is, in most cases, or at least concerning certain subjects)
I guess i just like to argue sometimes.

Actually, this is so not true. Mods' only job is to keep all the argumentative tools in line and keep the friendly flow of the boards going. Oh, and to ban, ban, ban.....:D

ZK

jonny-5
07-21-2008, 06:15 PM
^^^ oh i see, that's right...
He's a mod. can't be disagreeing with a mod, now, can we?? ;) :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

i'm only buzzing, though. (or am i?)

um i hope youre not talking about me too, the arrows were pointing at me...

but if u were i was just giving info from having seen this situation play out more than a few times.

and im not a mod so my opinion isnt worth as much anyway;)

irish
07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
If your message was meant for me. I don't give a shit who I disagree with. If you are wrong, I'll say so. Just telling you the truth about shrapnel and bullets. Needles are pretty low on the risk scale when compared to those.