PDA

View Full Version : Anti-biotics for abcess.... small catch HELP PLEAS

grant123
07-04-2008, 05:47 AM
ok i have what feels like an abscess to be starting in my foot, red, swollen, warm to touch. ive had aone in my arm before and this is the same feeling. ok the the point= its not bad enough to see a doc yet, today is my 1st day in pain. but i have some 'sulfatrim ds "generic for Bactrim" my question is, will these help? can someone who knows anything please help me!

roxi*stardust
07-04-2008, 08:46 AM
ok i have what feels like an abscess to be starting in my foot, red, swollen, warm to touch. ive had aone in my arm before and this is the same feeling. ok the the point= its not bad enough to see a doc yet, today is my 1st day in pain. but i have some 'sulfatrim ds "generic for Bactrim" my question is, will these help? can someone who knows anything please help me!

It's hard to tell what anti-biotic will work. Generally doctors will take cultures from the area of infection to determine the best anti-biotic for the job, especially with skin infections because of the increase in MRSA (Methicillin Resistant Staph A) recently. Using the wrong anti-biotic for infections is how we are creating these so called Super Germs that are resistant to anti-biotics.

The anti-biotic you have is generally not used for skin and skin structure infections. It is mainly used for Urinary Tract Infections, Ear Infections, and Upper Respiratory Infections.

Cephalosporins, specifically first generation Cephalosporins, are the first choice in treating skin and skin structure infections. First generation Cephalosporins would be Keflex (Cephalexin), Duracef (Cefadroxil), and Kefzol (Cefazolin). There are several reasons these are choosen as the first line treatment for skin infections. Here's why: Cephalosporins penetrate well into most body fluids and the ECF of most tissues, especially in the presence of inflammation (which enhances diffusion). First-generation Cephalosporins have excellent activity against gram-positive cocci (bacteria). Among them, oral drugs are commonly used for uncomplicated skin and soft-tissue infections, which are usually due to Staphylococci and Streptococci, which is the cause of most skin infections.

I would advise you against using the Bactrim DS for your abcess. It probably won't work and the worst case is that it only partially treats the infection and you end up with a more serious infection that is deeper in the tissue. I would seek medical attention if the typical warm compresses and Neosporin cream are not helping since there has been some concern recently over the increased number of cases of MRSA. MRSA is Methicillin resistant Staph and it has become increasing more common in the past year. We basically caused this resistant form of Staph by treating infections with the wrong anti-biotics and under treating infections by not following through with full courses of anti-biotics. Not trying to scare you but please take this seriously and if you can't get this to clear up using warm compresses, Neosporin Cream and bandages please see a doctor. Don't treat it with anti-biotics not made for treating skin infections.

Poppylvr
07-04-2008, 09:29 AM
Grant: I ditto RoxiStardust ( and we are medical professionals, Yo!). Don't use the bactrim. I'm going to get on my soapbox: Antibiotics should be taken until the last pill in your script. It takes that long to completely kill the bacteria. If you have AB's left over, you haven't taken them correctly.
Next, throw out any old antibiotics. As Roxi said, different meds are used for different types of infections. Never keep AB's because then you'll be tempted to just what you're thinking about here. It's doing this that has caused the emergence of the super bugs like MRSA (Methcillin Resistent Staph Aureus).
OK, I'm off my soap box & back to trying to help you out :)
Take a washcloth & get it wet with hot water - not boiling, just tap hot. Put that compress on the abscess area & keep it warm for 10 minutes. Do this at least 4 times a day. That helps draw the white blood cells to the area to fight the infection and helps to localize the abscess.
DO NOT POKE A HOLE IN THE ABSCESS AND SQUEEZE IT!!! This can cause the bacteria to enter your blood stream and then you could get very very sick. If the abscess develops a head, take your foot to the doctor, where it can be drained & packed by a doc. Then you will be given the correct medicine - they may culture the pus to see if you have MRSA since it's becoming so common and must be treated correctly.
Lastly, watch your poor foot carefully. Infections there may worsen quicker and take longer to heal because of less blood flow to the feet. If it swells alot or you see red streaks going up your leg, or you feel swollen lymph nodes, get your butt to the doctor.
Good Luck & please let us know how you do.

paroxetina
07-04-2008, 09:35 AM
You've gotten great advice already, but I have one more thing to add:

Always finish your antibiotics!! You should never stop early. Discontinuing the use of antibiotics before your course of treatment is up is what leads to antibiotic resistant infections. So please do us all a favor and next time, finish your antibiotics!!

irish
07-04-2008, 12:09 PM
Cipro kicks ass for abscesses, so does zithromax. Best bet is to see a doc and either come clean (med records are confidential), or come up with some story about how this might have happened. Your feet are a pretty dirty environment to begin with, maybe find a new area? If not, swab with copious amounts of alcohol, the foot, your hands, and clean the rig if it isn't new.

rockbottom
07-04-2008, 12:47 PM
i've had to go to hospital twice for abscesses-aint no joke-if you don't have the right meds or enough of them i'd go see a Dr. they might trip -but fuck'em they'll treat you:cool:

grant123
07-04-2008, 05:35 PM
well right before this thread i just popped two more bactrim -_-..... thats great.i got them from a guuy who left his bag in my car and i never saw him again.... so now that i started.... should i finish? or just stop in the middle like your not supposed to do so i can end up with MSRA or whatever. i wish i would have read this b4 taking those things like an idiot. it may be getting better, no head on abscess its still about the same swollen(ness?) maybe less since last night.

Is there any other home=med advice you can give me, ill use the warm compress and neosporin, havent put any of that on it. it doesnt seem to have 'puss' in it as of now, just swolen and painful. not even that red now. thanks for the help guys! ill throw those damn bactrim away!

jonny-5
07-04-2008, 06:06 PM
i had the same thing on my foot a week ago and now its almost gone. i am doing the same thing i do everytime i have an abcess, it was suggested to me a few years ago and works every time.

keep in mind that this is what i do, im not sure about how good it is for you, but it has worked for me 4 times so far.

i go to petco and buy the tetracycline they have for fish. it comes in a small bottle and its a syrup like liquid. its like 6 or 7 bux. i take some and mix it with water and take it twice a day on an empty stomach and it goes away. the abcess on my foot is almost gone.

grant123
07-05-2008, 10:27 AM
well, 3 days since i posted i thnk, and the sewling hasnt gone down much, but it is still very paintful to the touch and i cant 'limp' on it but it hurts to walk.

Q : is it better for meto try and 'walk it out' or should i stay layed up with it above my heart. ive ebeen doing a few neosp. and warm wash rags...... send some good luck m y way yall, thakns for info!

roxi*stardust
07-05-2008, 04:15 PM
i had the same thing on my foot a week ago and now its almost gone. i am doing the same thing i do everytime i have an abcess, it was suggested to me a few years ago and works every time.

keep in mind that this is what i do, im not sure about how good it is for you, but it has worked for me 4 times so far.

i go to petco and buy the tetracycline they have for fish. it comes in a small bottle and its a syrup like liquid. its like 6 or 7 bux. i take some and mix it with water and take it twice a day on an empty stomach and it goes away. the abcess on my foot is almost gone.

Advice: Don't do this^^^.

Chances are your abcess would have went away on it's own without using this medicine. First off Tetracycline should be dosed 4X per day for 7-14 depending on the infection. By only taking it twice a day you are just killing off some of the bacteria and letting stronger ones build an immunity to the anti-biotic.

Secondly, Tetracycline is not effective against Staph A or Strep, both bacteria that cause most skin infections. The human body is very effective in eradicating small infections on it's own without the help of anti-biotics. The only time you should be taking anti-biotics for a small skin abcess is if you have tried home remedies like warm compresses, neosporin and bandages, and daily cleaning of the affected are for 7 days and it has not gotten better or appears to be worse. Of course if it gets rapidly worse and is extremely swollen or there appears to be a red line traveling from the area up towards the heart you need to see someone right away. Otherwise you should use the home remedies suggested for 7 days, if there is no improvement in 7 days you should see a doctor as soon as you can. Do not, I repeat, Do Not buy Tetracycline or any other pet anti biotic form the pet store and take it. You don't know what type of bacteria you are dealing with and you don't know the correct dosage for the medicine and type of infection you have. Please don't follow this poster's advice.

Tetracyclines are not the drugs of choice in the treatment of any type of staphylococcal infections

To reduce the development of drug-resistant bacteria and maintain the effectiveness of Sumycin ‘250' and Sumycin ‘500' Tablets (Tetracycline Hydrochloride Tablets) and other antibacterial drugs, Sumycin ‘250' and Sumycin ‘500' Tablets (Tetracycline Hydrochloride Tablets) should be used only to treat or prevent infections that are proven or strongly suspected to be caused by susceptible bacteria

well, 3 days since i posted i thnk, and the sewling hasnt gone down much, but it is still very paintful to the touch and i cant 'limp' on it but it hurts to walk.

Q : is it better for meto try and 'walk it out' or should i stay layed up with it above my heart. ive ebeen doing a few neosp. and warm wash rags...... send some good luck m y way yall, thakns for info!

Throw the Bactrim DS out, it is of no benefit to you. You should continue your daily activities as usual. When you do sit or lay down to rest you can prop it up. Don't stay in bed or at rest all day, it is better to move around. Continue to apply hot/warm compresses for 20 minutes 3x per day. Clean the area well and apply Neosporin and a bandage daily. If you notice and increase in swelling, redness, or temp (extremely hot), a red line traveling from the area, or have extreme pain not relieved by Motrin or something similar you should see a doctor or go to the ER at once. If after using these home treatments for 7 days you do not notice any diffference or if it appears worse at anytime before the 7 days are up, go to your doctor or ER at once. Oh and don't follow the poster's advice about buying anti-biotics at the pet store. The last thing you need is an infection that you made worse by treating it with the wrong medicine. With the huge increase in MRSA realted infections recently you don't want to mess around; unless of course you feel like being hospitalized for sveeral weeks or longer while they treat you with IV anti-biotics, surgery, and wound debridment (<------not pleasant)!!

Poppylvr
07-05-2008, 05:00 PM
well it may be getting better, no head on abscess its still about the same swollen(ness?) maybe less since last night.

Is there any other home=med advice you can give me, ill use the warm compress and neosporin, havent put any of that on it. it doesnt seem to have 'puss' in it as of now, just swolen and painful. not even that red now. thanks for the help guys! ill throw those damn bactrim away!
Grant, is it possible you missed your vein with tht particular shot? Lots of times my street kids would get a hard painful lump that did NOT becoome infected (fever, spreading redness, pus development). This is basically a chemical irritation to the tissues around your vien from where your injected fluid hung out rather than entering the vein.
If it's that, the hot compressess and "tincture of time" will cure it. If it's not the painful lump of a missed shot, keep putting the hot packs on to try to bring the possible abscess to a head.
Good luck, guy, I wish I could see it in person & either reassure you or refer you to a doc :(.
Mom/Granny/former nurse for a homeless clinic for teens

jonny-5
07-05-2008, 05:02 PM
yea thats why i was saying its just what i do, and i wasnt giving it as advice.

Poppylvr
07-05-2008, 05:10 PM
jonny dahling, please tell me you will take Roxi's and my medical professional wonderful intelligent caring human beings advice next time you have a problema with an abscess?

roxi*stardust
07-05-2008, 05:10 PM

I know but it was the perfect example of Harm Reduction 101: What not to do:D;)

grant123
07-05-2008, 05:37 PM
tolday, day 4 i believe, swelling may have gone down (if not the same) same with redness....but it HURTS this morning.... i couldnt put any pressure on it to make it to the bathroom... *sigh* is there any website online i can order the correct anti biotics? im dreading the DR cause of horrible tracks and mothers insurance! please tell me good news!

Grant

Poppylvr
07-05-2008, 05:41 PM
tolday, day 4 i believe, swelling may have gone down (if not the same) same with redness....but it HURTS this morning.... i couldnt put any pressure on it to make it to the bathroom... *sigh* is there any website online i can order the correct anti biotics? im dreading the DR cause of horrible tracks and mothers insurance! please tell me good news!

Grant
Grant, if you're over 18 the doc cannot tell your mom what he treated you for.
She will, however, get a bill that might tell all. Any way you can pay cash?
You can lie through your teeth & tell the doc "It's a spider bite". That's what ALL the street folks who don't trust their docs tell the doc. All of we health professional who work with dope shooters know that "spider bite" is junkyese for shooting abscess. If you stick with your spider bite story he'll list that & that's what the bill will say and most moms who are not dope/street savvy won't kinow anythings wrong.

grant123
07-05-2008, 05:52 PM
exactly. the bill is wwhat gets me. but i guessi can tell em to take me off the insurance... its just *another* hospital bill im never gonna pay, right? *SIGH*

standing up thismonrning and the pain making me sit right back down scares me. i cant hobble today. back to no pressure at all.... argh. im gonna search for anti biotics online... what are some good ones?

roxi*stardust
07-05-2008, 05:53 PM

Grant

Even if there was a site you could order anti-biotics from there would be no way to know which the right one would be. With the MRSA problem, they should really culture that before prescribing anything. Poppylvr is right they cannot tell your mom what you were seen for and even a bill from the hospital or am EOB (Explanation of Benefits) from her insurance company can't list any diagnosis, treatments, or procedures. Because of the HIPAA laws they are not even able to put ICD-9(diagnosis codes) codes on that stuff anymore because it's easy to find out what they stand for. Your privacy will be protected, even with you using your mom's insurance. Please, if this doesn't get better in a few days or gets worse go to the ER!!

Nate
07-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Dude if it doesn't get better then just go to the er, this is your life we are talking about.

grant123
07-05-2008, 06:01 PM
*sigh* i hate going in that place.... id rather havfe my foot fall off almost.... i get treated like shit.

but anywas, Cephalexin or keflex was what i used last time, with something else the first two days. does that help or matter/

Nate
07-05-2008, 06:09 PM
*sigh* i hate going in that place.... id rather havfe my foot fall off almost.... i get treated like shit.

but anywas, Cephalexin or keflex was what i used last time, with something else the first two days. does that help or matter/

If it does not improve it is life or death, not just your foot falling off. I understand your reasoning, but an untreated infection can spread.

rockbottom
07-05-2008, 06:34 PM
go to the DR dude--i told em i bumped into a rusty nail for an abcess on my deltoid where i im'd a shot--they knew i was lying--but they lanced it and gave me a script for antibiotics--and like u said its just another hospital bill ur not gonna pay--don't be in denial-just get it taken care of---good luck--

clinton
07-05-2008, 06:44 PM
fuck what they think oR how they tReat you..
blood poisoning isnt too much fun..
lie if youRe embaRRassed.....
its youR health,dont Risk it....

dharma bum
07-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah dood, fuck 'em. They deal with this shit all the time. What more has to happen for you to take this seriously? Go to the ER!! You'll get your foot taken care of and some smug doc will get to feel even better about his ego...you both win.

Synack
07-06-2008, 12:21 AM
Perhaps the health pro's could make a list of commonly used antibiotics for abcesses, along with the dose, dosing frequency, and how long the dose should be maintained for.

grant123
07-06-2008, 01:22 AM
bleh ive been to the er once before, and guess im just trying to wait it out because 2 others ab'secess; ive had have gone away, jjust never on foot. and i know keflex worked good whe i was rx'd it. but even if i could get it online it owuld take two long.

anywho: to ppylvr, yeahi think i missed the shot there. but its not just the usual painful bump. it didnt appear till the morning. for me a normal miss will hurt right then and there.

if imnot able to walk tommorow, im goin in.... just puttin it off because there have been no streaks yet, maybe a *snmall* head, if any it may be my imagination.... but i hate to say it all you guys are right.... i gotta go in. last time it didnt have to be cut, just sent me home with right biotics.
wish me luck for my spyder bite!

jonny-5
07-06-2008, 01:35 AM
good luck man. abcesses are a bitch. i have a huge scar on my hip from a huge fuckin abcess. by the time i went to the doctor, i was feeling like i had the worst flu of my life. i would do some dope and feel a little better for an hour or so then go back to feeling like i was dying. so i went to the doc and he told me i had to go for emergency surgery RIGHT THEN. the only good that came outa that was some IV demerol at the hospital, and some IV VERSED before my surgery. man i loved that versed. oh and somehow i ended up with like 4 different vicodin scripts with a bunch of refills... but anyways after the surgery i had a hole in my hip that you could seriously fit an M-80 (talking about fireworks) in, stuffed with guaze that i had to change twice a day. god was that painful. at least i had a lady bringing me dope every day i dont know how i would have gotten through the first week after the surgery, i couldnt even walk or sit it was so painful.

i never wanna go thru that again.

grant123
07-06-2008, 08:44 AM
well i just woke up... and felt o.k... so i stook up. instant pain... again. it feels better propped up..... just i cant walk... heh. and at the ER they wont be able to hit me with an IV if they tried.
im not kidding either i hit my palms and fingers. so i guess maybe they may put it in my neck...
yeah... this is gonna be fun. I got a 5000$ poker tournement at 3pm then i suppose ill drag myself in there. maybe ill down a bunch of valium and kolonopin first so i dont remember any of it. GOOD IDEA eh?

Black_Pony
07-06-2008, 09:22 AM
Yesterday this gal I know had raw bacon taped to her leg sandwiched between a slice of raw potato and a thick slice or red onion. She said her native american friend told her about it and claims its an ancient junky-indian abscess remedy that truly works wonders. It took the entirety of my willpower to keep from laughing in her face! But she seriously believed it was a powerful remedy. How moronically absurd can one person be?!?!?!? LOL! I know from experience that most of my abscesses go away on their own, just imagine if you strapped on veggies and bacon everytime you got one until you convinced yourself that was the reason your abscesses were healing? I feel sorry for the poor gal, she's a grown ass woman of at least 50 years and she practices astoundingly bizarre superstitions like that... :(

She explained to me how the only real downside to using that remedy is the inconvenience caused by the neighborhood dogs following her around! Other than that, it works like a charm. SO SILLY! :rolleyes:

She's such a sweetheart, too. It kills me to see her taping bacon slices to herself, but I know better than to try and waste my breath trying to talk her outta it. I do believe in 'mind over matter' to a certain extent, so in that respect meybe it is actually a good thing for her.... ::sigh::

grant123
07-06-2008, 09:24 AM
LOL thats some funny sht. im not too happ y right now... cause i sit her with a full rig ano nowhere to stick it... there all sucked up or gone away... *sigh* 21 and no veins. im going down a good paht.

roxi*stardust
07-06-2008, 12:36 PM

Right Keflex, the generic name is Cephalexin, would be the first choice for a skin infection. Did you read jonny-5's post? Don't mess around with this. If you have tried all the home remedies and it's getting worse or hasn't gotten in better in 7 days then you need to go to the ER whether you hate going there or not. Who cares what they think. Does it really matter to you if they think you are a junky? Fuck them.

grant123
07-07-2008, 12:00 AM
well i wen in... told em it was a spyder biteand got anti biotics no problemo. lets hope they work!

Grant

grant123
07-07-2008, 07:21 PM
day two of anti biotics... pain has gone down, swelling/redness hasnt... i did a lil bit of crystal this morning and was up and at it cleaning for a while, then it started to hurt so here i am sitting down with it propped up like i should be. im confident the antibiotics will work.... also

quick Q: IT says in the packet that if im taking any med's while taking biotics, to not stop until the antibiotics finished... does this count for dope/speed too? :)

Poppylvr
07-07-2008, 08:18 PM
day two of anti biotics... pain has gone down, swelling/redness hasnt... i did a lil bit of crystal this morning and was up and at it cleaning for a while, then it started to hurt so here i am sitting down with it propped up like i should be. im confident the antibiotics will work.... also

quick Q: IT says in the packet that if im taking any med's while taking biotics, to not stop until the antibiotics finished... does this count for dope/speed too? :)
Grant, I'm SO glad you took your spider bitten foot to the ER and got some antibiotics.
Not sure what the packet means other than some meds affect how antibiotics are absorbed, so they don't want you changing things in the middle of the course of antibiotics.
Now, repeat after me: "Yes, Poppylvr, I WILL take ALL my antibiotics, just like you and the doctor and Roxi Stardust and the pharmacist told me to":D

Opiyum
07-07-2008, 11:36 PM
Good to hear it's getting better.

paroxetina
07-08-2008, 12:19 AM
glad you finally got this treated. Remember, finish ALL your antibiotics this time!