PDA

View Full Version : Opiates and exercise

Coddfish
03-04-2006, 08:25 PM
Anyone ever exercise--especially cv--while on opiates?? Any notable affects one way or another?

_rlpsd.
03-07-2006, 09:46 AM
i`ve done it before and i came home and blew chunks. :)

jacky
03-07-2006, 10:05 AM
people that exercise/work out/ run. etc can become cross tolerant to morphine to the tune of the equivalent of a 50 milligram a day habit. this is because exercise releases endorphins, and these endorphins, specially beta-endorphin resemble morphine.

some people exercise to the point of damaging their body, risking heart attack, because of their habituation to exercising has gone beyond the point that it is healthy.

starving oneself for 24 hours releases endorphins as well, so some people become habituated to fasting possibly because of the reinforcing action of the endorphins.

exitwound
03-07-2006, 04:35 PM
As long as you don't dose to the point of being nauseous or nodding, I find that moderate exercise if anything, boosts the effects......perhaps by increasing metabolism if nothing else.

I find that marijuana and exercise combine better than just about any other drug; if you have trouble with nausea/vomiting due to the combination of opiates + exercercise, perhaps a little vaporized MJ is in order!

Coddfish
03-07-2006, 06:28 PM
I guess the time has come to share my limited experience. I have found that if I exercise an hour or two after my (very small) sub dose, that I can jog seemingly indefinitely. Like I had never run more than a couple of miles in my life, but now--if I time it right--I can run 6 or 7, no problem. I went one day going 1-1.5 miles, to the next running 5. I just kept waiting to hit the wall, and it never happened. Maybe the slow down opies cause to soft and heart muscle doesn't use as much oxygen?? I dunno.

ontario_opiophile
03-07-2006, 07:44 PM
I know of a man who is addicted to running. I'm not even joking!!! He runs all day long everyday. His knees are actually deformed from running. I'm really not kidding! He runs all over the rural areas all day long with his knees coming up to his chin. He's a total nut. He is so skinny he looks like he's going to dissapear. I'm sure he does it for the rush.

superman
03-08-2006, 07:14 PM
I prefer to use when i do harder than usual work as I don't feel as much burn or fatigue. never got into working out w/ weights, although I once went to the gym w/ a bud to try his routine out while on 18mg hydromorph and holy shit was that ever a good workout. I was feeling that for 5 days.

skeletontea
03-08-2006, 08:02 PM
Typically if I'm on opiates I have no interest in exercise (or any sort of movement whatsoever.) However, recently I had a small amount of H and a few glasses of wine and beer, then some red bull at a punk show in town. I ended up in the pit, and held my own even after taking a nasty spill, then getting up, and recieving a headbutt from a complete stranger. I felt fine (at the time) though later I started to nod off on one of the band's monitors (likely due in part to exhaustion). However the next day I was in the most pain I've ever been in, I also ended up with a cold which felt like I was being hit in the lungs with a baseball bat everytime I coughed. My spine, which resembles that of a man 60+ years my senior, was killing me. Since I was feeling energetic enough (likely due to the caffiene) it certainly allowed me to feel less pain and fatigue (for a while anyway).

lukilu
03-09-2006, 03:53 AM
Yes, I am seriously into Taking 1mg snorted Subutex and 2mgs snorted Dex just before my 4 - 5 day a week Hot Yoga Class and man is it good :D ! Lukilu

Luravex
09-26-2006, 11:59 PM
people that exercise/work out/ run. etc can become cross tolerant to morphine to the tune of the equivalent of a 50 milligram a day habit. this is because exercise releases endorphins, and these endorphins, specially beta-endorphin resemble morphine.

some people exercise to the point of damaging their body, risking heart attack, because of their habituation to exercising has gone beyond the point that it is healthy.

starving oneself for 24 hours releases endorphins as well, so some people become habituated to fasting possibly because of the reinforcing action of the endorphins.

SWIM exercises regularly (emphasis on aerobic over weight training)........and typically waits until after exercise to indulge......but has noticed that opiate effects are typically stronger on workout days than on no-workout days.....SWIM has always enjoyed the "high" one gets from excersize.....and SWIM thinks this potentiation is probably due to the combination of natural endorphins and artificial pleasure chemicals......thus SWIM recommends it as a significant opiate booster.....

Seedy
09-27-2006, 02:12 AM
SWIM exercises regularly (emphasis on aerobic over weight training)........and typically waits until after exercise to indulge......but has noticed that opiate effects are typically stronger on workout days than on no-workout days.....SWIM has always enjoyed the "high" one gets from excersize.....and SWIM thinks this potentiation is probably due to the combination of natural endorphins and artificial pleasure chemicals......thus SWIM recommends it as a significant opiate booster.....

I'd have to agree with that. I sometimes have to do a bit of hard physical work to get by and notice that even a small dose a couple of hours into my day will (in combination with the exercise) will make my shitty work more than barable for the rest of the day.
I've always noticed I feel better for getting regular exercise, it's a great natural antidepressant. Exercise first thing in the morning always makes a good start to my day (When I can be bothered).

nick
09-27-2006, 04:28 AM
I used to play a lot of sport and within months of stopping I was deeply into junk.First shot of morphine I ever had was from a DR after I broke my patella and tore the medial and cruciate ligaments-my ankle was touching my hip,which trust me, hurts.
When on junk I' stopped all exercise and now I'm detoxing I swim and go to the gym.Gotta get those endorphins pumping.
I find junk a talking heads kinda drug,all content no action.

bonkers
09-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Exercise seriously kills my buzz. When I'm high, I just wanna sit there, talk and smoke cigarette after cigarette until I'm out of cigarettes and need to get more. Exercise seems to help with my withdrawal symptoms, though. It makes the whole unpleasent experience go by much more quickly. As for being high and exercising, though, no way. Total buzzkill.

trainwrecker
09-28-2006, 11:51 AM
I just started working on a farm, busting my ass 8-10 hours a day. And I noticed it seems to make my methdone dose stronger. Usually I take my regular dose and one take home at the clinic, gets me pretty well, nodding after a few hours. Just a single dose was pretty inadequate, but now I can take half of my dose and nodd off after a while.

zombiewoof23
09-28-2006, 12:26 PM
I am on a pretty intense weight lifting schedule every other day. I notice that if I get wrecked on opiates one day and try to work out the next, I sweat profusely, and have ended up vomiting at the end of a workout. I am also much weaker and have trouble focusing on the workout. Weightlifting is about the only thing that keeps me from using every day at this point in my life. I have learned that my body can't handle both and I enjoy exercising. It also helps that I workout with several close friends and we encourage eachother to show up and to stick with the program. I have never tried to workout on opiates. I think I could easily end up hurting myself from lack of focus.

HistoryofMadness
09-28-2006, 04:05 PM
I'll go with what seems to be the general consensus and my experience... if you are accustomed to CV especially jogging, but don't get too hot and make sure to drink plenty of water about 30 min - 1 hr before.

vanilla_mlkshake2007
09-28-2006, 04:35 PM
I guess the time has come to share my limited experience. I have found that if I exercise an hour or two after my (very small) sub dose, that I can jog seemingly indefinitely. Like I had never run more than a couple of miles in my life, but now--if I time it right--I can run 6 or 7, no problem. I went one day going 1-1.5 miles, to the next running 5. I just kept waiting to hit the wall, and it never happened. Maybe the slow down opies cause to soft and heart muscle doesn't use as much oxygen?? I dunno.

I notice that if I do a shot and then go lay down on the couch I hardly get no buzz.Whereas if i do a shot and I go shopping or on a long walk up and down hills,the morphine tends to act alot stronger because my blood is pumping,whereas just laying on the couch my blood is just slowly circulating.
I imagine any good exercise like a long run will increase your buzz.I know it always works that way with me.If I get my adrenaline pumping,I really feel the shot, compared to just doing a shot and laying down which in that case I could do 4-5 pills and feel the same as 1 pill,but if I activate myself I only need 1 pill.

orchidfanatic
09-30-2006, 08:03 PM
well PT is my opiate of choice for chronic pain and by does it ever make me haul ass.. I have reduced my overweight problem and feel great thanks to PT

Seedy
09-30-2006, 08:53 PM
I notice that if I do a shot and then go lay down on the couch I hardly get no buzz.Whereas if i do a shot and I go shopping or on a long walk up and down hills,the morphine tends to act alot stronger because my blood is pumping,whereas just laying on the couch my blood is just slowly circulating.
I imagine any good exercise like a long run will increase your buzz.I know it always works that way with me.If I get my adrenaline pumping,I really feel the shot, compared to just doing a shot and laying down which in that case I could do 4-5 pills and feel the same as 1 pill,but if I activate myself I only need 1 pill.

I read somewhere that if you take opiates outside your usual setting for dosing (ie at home) they hit you harder. Like I've heard stories of people taking their usual dose in a different setting (out of town, etc) and ODing.

puRrfectly_wicKed
10-12-2006, 06:11 PM
I primarily on indulge in general with Oxys (20's, 40's & 80's) and morhp's if there are no oxys and have been doing them pretty much daily for almost 2 years now.
This is a quite an interesting question actually for a few reasons. First I think its relevant to note that the oxy buzz has evolved quite a bit since the first daze, now i know this is probably a well known fact to regular users but for me when i first started doing them (i sniff 'em ..or did more back then where as i now combine sniffin' and eating to get the most outta my meds) i loved to just lay there and sink into the buzz AND depending on my day i loved doing physical things becuz oxys gave me a wicked energy and motivation like i've never had before without. I felt like there was nothing i couldn't do!
As for working out I've done kickboxing and yoga and strength training type excersies and man I feel sooo strong and focused and unstopable really and its was great. I think opiates or oxys particulariy give you extra strength and this kinda physical prowess that, in my opinion, can be dangerous.
I say this becuz as i mentioned earlier you feel stronger and thus you push yourself further then you would normally. becuz of the fact it blocks the pain receptors and such this inhibits your body's natural ability to tell you when enuffs enuff.
And I know this first hand becuz I was doing a few strengthening pilates type excerises that are quite challengeing and include holding positions and using your core muscles. I was actually showing my boyfriend what i had done in class and how hard it was, trying to make him try it as i felt unstoppable and wanted to show off i guess which was easy on the oxys. :p
After a bit of that i proceeded to do a few sets of crunches and stuff never once feeling like i should stop, and man, the next day, after the oxys wore off and my body woke up it screamed at me. every muscle worked killed! and i realized i had pushed it to far.
But I think that as long as you realize this and stay within your normal comfort zone and dont push it then i dont see anything wrong with it, its a buzz doing anyting on opiates but as with everything in this life you have to use common sense too.
BUT i do have to mention here that now, 2 years later, i dont get that rush of energy or motivation like i used to. Now all I wanna do is lay around and enjoy my buzz and thats becuz its become a coveted thing more so then before i think. So i guess i agree with alot of people here on both counts.
I think its becuz the buzz changed and becuz my tolerence level is disgustingly high now so when I do take my dose for the day, which is usually aiming at 2 buzzes per day, i just wanna kick back and move as little as possible, close my eyes and chase the buzz threw my body with my mind. Its the best way to feel it as best as you can and any movement or activity will now be a waste of my oxys cos i wont get the buzzy warm fuzzies. and i'm not paying $20 a pill for nuffin! :D
Oh and i think i'm starting to agree with the 'do activity and buzz out more' idea too. but in very limited fashion for me. Like last night I had already had my morning buzz and after getting home from work and taking care of home stuff I was now ready to try for my night buzz. which is hard to get cos the first buzz of the day is always the best and sumtymes you cant get 2 but i always give it a good go! -lol- so i got suckered in to a bit of cleaning by my boyfriend and 1 and 1/2hr later when i sat down my body buzz was wicked.
you just never know in the end, you just gotta keep experimenting and seeing what works best for you, your tolerence level and your habits.
wicKed

SomniGod
10-29-2006, 11:21 AM
Well, I have been working out 3-5 times a week for 5 weeks now..... I take 20 mgs Methadone in the morning with a red bull or two to get started. I then work in a fast paced deli for 9 hours eating and drinking protein shakes all day (and I can NOT put on any weight!!!aaarrgghh!!!it's so frustrating). I then drink 1/2 of a super energy drink like RedLine 30 minutes before I workout. I get to the gym, treadmill 15 mins

SomniGod
10-29-2006, 11:36 AM
Well, I have been working out 3-5 times a week for 5 weeks now..... I take 20 mgs Methadone in the morning with a red bull or two to get started. I then work in a fast paced deli for 9 hours eating and drinking protein shakes all day (and I can NOT put on any weight!!!aaarrgghh!!!it's so frustrating). I then drink 1/2 of a super energy drink like RedLine 30 minutes before I workout. I get to the gym, treadmill 15 mins (5 to get to optimum heart rate..then keep it there for 10 mins---good warm up).. I then wail on my bi's, tri's, pecs, shoulders, and some leg presses---I am mostly concerned with upper body. Some times I feel a lil quesy or nauseaus about 1/2 thru my workout...but mostly it's right after my workout. I also am very *shakey* after my workouts.....can someone explain this to me? I always drink a protein shake after my worrkout as well. I like to snort a roxy 10 mins after a workout too....I actually get off to 30mg's this way...it's true. Anyway, by the time I get home...about 3 hours later, I am ready to smoke a bowl start making dinner and eating my other 20 mg's of methadone to keep me good til morning! I am already noticing some changes in my arms and the way I feel. I have more energy, MUCH better memory, I am eating MUCH healthier, and am generally getting my body back to how it was meant to be maintained. I hope to start weening myself off after Christmas, but we shall see. So, from personal experience, you CAN be on methadone maintenance, while working out, strengthening muscles and building muscle mass. Just make sure that you EAT RIGHT---this is the MOST IMPORTANT PART OF ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Also, do not use opiates as workout enhancers...this is just plain foolish and dangerous. We have pain sensors for GOOD reason! Ripping up muscles without a safe-guard can cause serious PERMANENT damage! Be careful! Don't work out HIGH... I mean C'MON...GET REAL! That's my 2 cents and experience---so far.

~S~

Narkotikon
10-29-2006, 05:41 PM
I have no idea. I would assume that they would potentiate each other. I know that excercise, eating disorders, and self-cutting (of course I'm not advocating the last two) release endorphins and enkephalins. When I was 14 I was what I would consider anorexic. I was a chubby kid, and the summer before high school, I got on this excercise kick, walking everyday for 30 minutes, sometimes more. The main reason was to loose weight of course, not really to tone or improve strength. Anyway, it got out of hand and I went from being 5'8'' and 195lbs. to 5'8'' and 125lbs. in like six months. Of course it was from starvation. I would only eat boxed soup, which had 200 calories, and that was all I would eat. Anyway, it ended with me blacking out at school, then at home and my mother saying she'd put me in a hospital if I didn't stop. So, I began to eat again. So, maybe not full-blown anorexia. Actually, I attribute it to having an addictive-personality. After a while, I began to notice how good I felt from not eating, so I just kept doing it. Now I'm 6' and 195lbs, which isn't bad, but I need to loose more weight from gaining while being on methadone. When I went in, I weighed 165lbs. The self-cutting thing is interesting too. It's not what I would consider to be like the excercise high, or even close to an opiate high. But, for some reason, it just calms you down. It makes you feel less numb.

antigonemuse
10-30-2006, 03:04 AM
hiking and herroin.... an interesting combination

Narkotikon
10-30-2006, 03:09 AM
hiking and herroin.... an interesting combination

I hear the Boyscouts give out special merit patches for that. Of course it's all funded by the Girlscouts and their crack cocaine-laced thin mint operation. :)