PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to buy syringes where you live?

JonnyM
03-03-2008, 07:29 PM
The chart below lists what states are legally allowed to prescribe and sell you syringes (as a IV drug user), and which are not.

I am personally not an shooter but I hope those that are find this helpful

http://aidscience.org/articles/images/A013fig2.gif

The chart above was taken from hxxp://www.rwjf.org/reports/grr/037162.htm (I broke the link just to be safe)

jdub
03-03-2008, 07:33 PM
It says pharmacy sale of prescribed syringes. Don't all states allow you to do that? In SF, CA we can buy syringes OTC but it varies by county.

Is it illegal to be diabetic in Delaware? Who lives in the dirty DE?

eveline
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
I believe those lists are about doctors prescribing syringes to drug users, and pharmacies dispensing them to drug users with a prescription.

There's a list of which states syringes are OTC at hxxp://www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/otc.htm.

There's another list about whether holding on to used syringes for safe disposal can get you in trouble for paraphernalia here: hxxp://www.temple.edu/lawschool/phrhcs/disposal.htm.

I was thinking that it'd be good to sticky a thread about this and locations of needle exchanges.

Yeah, Delaware sucks.

blackdog
03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
http://www.temple.edu/lawschool/aidspolicy/apolicy.htm
this should take you to where he said about list of states.
also temple has alot of pertinent info concerning drug laws and how they effect us in general.
chk it out. peace /respect dawg,:p

OxyContinuously
03-05-2008, 03:53 PM
i don't iv personally, but to my knowledge, in NY near the city (prob the whole state, but i am just familiar with my specific area) you can walk into any CVS and ask for a sterile "insulin syringe" or a "29 gauge" or whatever it's called, and you can buy a single wrapped sterile one, needle and all, for $1.75...only hitch is that it's behind pharmacy counter, so you have to ask, and you must be at least 18 with valid ID...

i know elsewhere it's not that easy, and in some localities i have even heard of flat out refusal without a current, valid doctor's script.

strikks
03-05-2008, 05:16 PM
Man i live in Pennsylvania and i know if i would go to ANY drug store and be sold or given syringes with OUT a prescription from a doctor it would be illegal,most pharmasits would laugh in my face while calling the cops.

it would be like getting a script of pills for that matter cause you get the same charge here if you are caught with a pill that aint prescribed to you or needles that arent prescribed to you.

"the drug device and,cosmetic act or some shit.

i dunno were you got that list but here in pa. it is wrong ,the only over the counter needle i can go and buy is like this huge monster for shooting up horses or something and they are sold over the counter at the farm and fleet store(farm&country it is called.i think it was in the 30 or more gauge but i dunno.

and it is soo big that you almost need stitches to close up the hole,but in a pinch you could use it once.

maybe the list PA is on is mislabeled or means you can buy them but with a prescription,legally,??

okay these pa. laws are crazy long and boring,but check this out what i found in the PA>laws

The medical practice act and controlled substance act.
A Doctor may prescribe......... 1)in good faith..2)in usual course of professional practice...3)in accords with treatment accepted by a responsible segment of the medical profession.......a prescription for sterile injection equipment ,issued to a patient who cannot and/or will not enter drug treatment,for the purpose of preventing the spread of infectious diseases during injection would seem to be well within the parameters of allowable discretion set by this standard.

holy shit i guess most of these are geared toward a known AIDS patient who is on IV drugs but there seems to be a loophole that he can prescribe it to anyone really for harm reduction.

i started a poll thread on this also and i did not copy soo i wander who did it first...it is heroin section i am going to investigate.. peace

jdub
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM
^^ Higher the gauge, smaller the needle. Like a shotgun. 30 is a small needle.

strikks
03-05-2008, 05:47 PM
^^ Higher the gauge, smaller the needle. Like a shotgun. 30 is a small needle.

oh i always forget that shit......then it musta been a 10 gauge or something cuz my 27 gauge seems big...no seriously i think it was like a 20 or 19 maybe then..:rolleyes:

yeah i started a thread on this with a poll in the heroin forum a day b4 this one??mine has a poll and is super duper better......lol

Chemical_Boy
03-05-2008, 06:30 PM
I have no problem getting insulin pins in CO. BD larges (i.e., 25ga 1inch 3ml) they sometimes whant prescription or at least a damn good explaination for....

SurfRat
05-30-2008, 01:39 AM
Yes.

Mobile Caravan:

Thursday night in downtown SD.

Friday morning in North Park.

Papa Verine
05-30-2008, 10:34 AM
Here in Illinois, I can walk into any pharmacy and buy a bag of 10 for $3, no questions asked. There may be areas in the state where the pharmacist gives junkies a hard time, but where I live it's no problem.

Mallinckrodt
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
In Michigan it is legal to buy them but some pharmacies are tighter than others. Rite-Aid is one that will always sell them, Walgreens is one that is almost always going to deny them, CVS is hit or miss and the big grocery stores in the area that have pharmacies will typically sell them.

I think the grocery stores want you to look like you're actually shopping there for other things as well because they don't want every IV user around to come running through the store straight to the pharmacy for rigs, it scares the straights away. I think these stores are really the only ones with 3ml rigs.

Consumed.
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
In NY they have to be a part of some affiliation that lets them sell over the counter. i know some big chains can some cant. All the small pharmacies usually give you no trouble though.

Saint
05-30-2008, 05:43 PM
I used to buy them in a medical equipment store..
and like Surfrat says: mobile caravan.. we have those in Amsterdam, needleexchange and free condoms.

jonny-5
05-30-2008, 05:54 PM
in los angeles they passed a law a few years ago that if a pharmacy wants to they can sell them without prescriptions, but i have yet to come across one that does. all the ones i been to say i need a scrip. but in washington state i had no problem, every pharmacy sells them no questions asked, any size any guage. 10 BDs for $2.50.

at least LA has a kick ass needle exchange program, you dont even need to have needles to get them (for free) at the one i go to in hollywood. the first time i went there i gave them 20 and they gave me 40 back.

BigLou
12-17-2009, 12:14 PM
It was illegal in pa, you had to be a diabetic, and have a card or whatever but they just changed the law and i been buyin new rigs every since, 2.99 for a ten pack of BD 1/2" 30 ga, 14.00 for 100 Terumo 29g 1/2"

WhyCatsPaint
12-17-2009, 12:18 PM
*cough*look at the date*cough :p

JonnyM
12-17-2009, 12:44 PM
yeah the imagine that :rolleyes:, even expired so I had to find one real quick thats outdated to 2001 too.

hero 1
12-17-2009, 01:16 PM
In Michigan it is legal to buy them but some pharmacies are tighter than others. Rite-Aid is one that will always sell them, Walgreens is one that is almost always going to deny them, CVS is hit or miss and the big grocery stores in the area that have pharmacies will typically sell them.

I think the grocery stores want you to look like you're actually shopping there for other things as well because they don't want every IV user around to come running through the store straight to the pharmacy for rigs, it scares the straights away. I think these stores are really the only ones with 3ml rigs.

wally world will sell em buy the case about 17 bocks for a hundred but they have exchanges on both sides of the state dont know about the zoo or lansing just detroit and gr

Thanat0s
12-17-2009, 01:20 PM
wally world will sell em buy the case about 17 bocks for a hundred but they have exchanges on both sides of the state dont know about the zoo or lansing just detroit and gr
:D

Ickyuck
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
It really sucks.
Here in NJ you need an RX.
So, as an IV drug user, I have to either get to a needle exchange (which are VERY FAR AWAY from me), or drive to NY.

RaZeR
12-18-2009, 01:23 AM
I live in Wahington and for the most part I haven't had problems but certain neighborhoods are better, I had trouble a couple times out in the 'burbs. But what does NEP mean? Also I was wondering the difference between no legal means and no clearly legal means? I had to buy them down in Florida once or twice which is listed no clearly legal, and I had no problems getting them.

erica
12-18-2009, 01:36 AM
This is quite an old thread, but I'll give my input anyway...

Here in Co, you do not have to have a Rx to purchase syringes...However, I've found that a lot of the time, they won't sell to you if they think that you're going to use them for anything but insulin. I have to make sure I look nice and definitely not sick when I go to buy them. Usually, I bring in an old box top and first ask if they have any Raspberry glucose tablets (which they don't carry), pretending that my diabetic grandfather is very picky, and has to have that specific flavor...and of course I'm doing his shopping for him...and oh, I need these syringes too.

Most of the time it works. The one time that I just went in and asked for the syringes, the pharmacist lady was really skeptical and bitchy, and said they didn't have the kind I wanted. I didn't believe her, because she said she could only give me a certain gauge/size (way smaller than I wanted), and then ended up bringing back a different kind than she originally stated 5 seconds earlier...Unless she happened to be really confused, she was just trying to trip me up. *shrug* Whatever, I used them anyway.

chopstix
12-18-2009, 04:15 AM
I was in CO and had someone gave me some Seconal - umm, now I need a rig; way, way TOO many stories about IV seconal to pass that up. Got the points, i say they're for my cat. Anyway, modern seconal isn't the seconal of yore..

Used to feel bad about lying to my traveling partner; not anymore, not even fucking close..

warbux
12-18-2009, 05:24 AM
easy solution buy the syringes online. also I live in Virginia,if this helps anyone, it's at the pharmacists discretion some pharmacies you goto will not sell to you and say you gotta have a prescription but others don't ask any questions when you ask them they just ask back "what size do you want?".

oneironaut
12-18-2009, 06:21 AM
wow thats crazy i didn't know it was that difficult in so many states. what is their problem? don't they know people are going to use whether or not they get clean spikes?