PDA

View Full Version : Neurontin any good??

HandMeSomeOpiates
01-15-2008, 07:12 PM
I have access to this medication and after reading people's expierences on erowid I am very curious about these pills. One guy said it was better than any narcotic he's ever had(I'm sure it's not but...). They say the only thing that sucks about Neurontin and the reason it isn't scheduled is because it takes 2 HOURS to kick in! But drinking a soda is supposed to kick it in faster, so they say. Any of you opiophiles have any expierence with Neurontin? Thanks!

HMSO

WarmCyanide
01-15-2008, 07:19 PM
http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=13333&highlight=neurontin

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=12645&highlight=gabapentin

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=10199&highlight=gabapentin

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=1720&highlight=gabapentin

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=8217&highlight=gabapentin

http://forum.opiophile.org/showthread.php?t=7694&highlight=gabapentin

i used the search engine for you.....

Your'e welcome ;)

HandMeSomeOpiates
01-15-2008, 07:21 PM
Yeah... Guess that's why I never won the spelling bee. The way I spelled it "No matches found" was what I kept getting. Thank You Cyanide. I feel like a dumbass now... ;)

WarmCyanide
01-15-2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah... Guess that's why I never won the spelling bee. The way I spelled it "No matches found" was what I kept getting. Thank You Cyanide. I feel like a dumbass now... ;)

you're not a dumbass.

unless you dont change your avatar. :o

HandMeSomeOpiates
01-15-2008, 07:26 PM
you're not a dumbass.

unless you dont change your avatar. :o

Haha Ohhhhh come on.. Don't tell me you like Mr. Bush now!?

jonny-5
01-15-2008, 07:30 PM
according to wikipedia, meth addicts who take it say that it helps with meth wds and highly reduces cravings. i dont know about its recreational value tho.

SpecialGuy69
01-15-2008, 07:31 PM
I'll save you the trouble of even clicking on the links. neurotonin sucks. worthless for having fun. doesnt feel good. doesnt feel like ANYTHING. Whoever said it feels better than any opiate, etc etc is a fuckin dumbass. Thats the problem with the Erowid experience reports- theres a lot of kids out there that really want to contribute, but dont have the knowledge or experience to give a worthwhile experience report.

WarmCyanide
01-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Haha Ohhhhh come on.. Don't tell me you like Mr. Bush now!?

he's too liberal.

corlene
01-15-2008, 07:49 PM
I was scripted loads of neurontin for my RSD it didnt work for that, or anything else. Its worthless. My current doctors think its worthless too. American Idol is just hilarious tonight.

Boudica
01-15-2008, 08:32 PM
I was scripted loads of neurontin for my RSD it didnt work for that, or anything else. Its worthless. My current doctors think its worthless too. American Idol is just hilarious tonight.

I have 6 huge bottles of this completely worthless crap, unopened as we speak. 'Nuff said?

NV12
01-15-2008, 08:36 PM
No for pain and No for fun.

mikells43
01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
nerurotin puts me in a horrible mood. and it feels weird. i wouldnt take it if i were u.

eveline
01-15-2008, 09:15 PM
I had a friend who used it for anxiety (I guess? It's supposed to be for seizures but it's mostly prescribed for pain or for bipolar) and seemed to really like it for relaxation. I'm not sure she'd ever used benzos though, or anything else for comparison. My mom said it was useless (for neuropathic pain).

Lyrica, which is similar but newer, is Schedule V so it is considered abusable. They both have to do with GABA (as you might guess from the name) so I think in the best case it might be like a benzo. I doubt it's worth it if you're paying much, but if you have pain it might help, why not try it?

drkstarcrashes
01-15-2008, 09:25 PM
My mom has MS and takes neurontin - it does nothing for her pain or issues related to MS...not sure why she is even still taking it. I've taken it once...felt absolutely nothing. Hope that helps.

Princess
01-15-2008, 11:40 PM
Lets see, I'm out of fentanyl for another week. I have enough morphine to keep me well until then (I hope). I have a few 1mg xanie's left and a few fiorinal's....I've got about 200 neurontin's in the medicine cabinet.

HandMeSomeOpiates
01-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Thanks for your input guys. The pills are free so I may try some on a day when I have no opiates(which is very rare :D) Thanks again!

HMSO

SurfRat
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
It is not really a drug for getting high or helping pain, but whatever is up with my personal brain chemistry, it seems to work as a short term antianxiety/antidepressant and I like to mix it with opiates.

NEJM had an article stating that Neurontin and Morphine together acted as a more effective pain killer than either drug taken alone.

I don't think most people have much use for it, but I like the stuff. The only negative is that it messes with memory on the short term and makes me kinda dissociated. I much prefer to take it with an opiate on hand to take the edge off.

To be real specific, I can talk to people a lot better when I take it. For some reason a lot of stuff it is near impossible for me to say most of the time is not a problem if I take Neurontin. So whereas I usually have a tendency to stare at people and stumble in conversation, if I got that extra Serotonin (I think that's what it does,) I will be more outgoing and I can say positive stuff and things I want to say to people... Long as I don't ramble too much.

So it seems to help but like with most drugs I don't take it everyday.

Ludakris
01-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Personally, I wouldn't bother with it if you don't have too...I took it one time, not knowing what it was, and it just made me want to kill myself and did absolutely nothing for pain or anything.

GoddessofRATs
01-16-2008, 12:59 PM
The only thing it was good for me was Tramadol w/d. When i took it i had no w/d. But, it made me gain weight so i had to get off of it, per the docs orders!

GOR

starglazer33
01-16-2008, 06:37 PM
huaack-to-spit!

opi-users hate it. i use opiates.

i hate it.

sg33

SpecialGuy69
01-18-2008, 08:54 PM
Neurontin any good?? Sure, its great if you like shitty pills that do nothing. Try plugging them or sniffing them, the nothing comes on twice as hard and fast.

Opiyum
01-18-2008, 09:20 PM
I vaguely remember taking a few 500mg caps once. I think they were 500 mg. It was summer and was a day I was short on good drugs to use so I think I mixed it with...Well it was probably a bunch of mazzies, weed, probably some whiskey or beer and maybe a little oxy or something. I remember posting about it here and I remember playing bacci ball that day. What I don't remember is thinking anything good or bad about Gaba.

Best advice is to get them and try them just don't spend too much money on them if any at all. It's like certain foods for instance anchovies. You don't want to eat slimy bony stinky fish but once you do you love them....or you spit it out.

NV12
01-19-2008, 07:04 AM
I had a friend who used it for anxiety (I guess? It's supposed to be for seizures but it's mostly prescribed for pain or for bipolar) and seemed to really like it for relaxation. I'm not sure she'd ever used benzos though, or anything else for comparison. My mom said it was useless (for neuropathic pain).

Lyrica, which is similar but newer, is Schedule V so it is considered abusable. They both have to do with GABA (as you might guess from the name) so I think in the best case it might be like a benzo. I doubt it's worth it if you're paying much, but if you have pain it might help, why not try it?

Good info, I was going to bring up Lyrica... I was once diagnosed with MS, but that diagnosis ended up incorrect, but I've always been prescribed Neurontin for neuropathic pain. I don't take it as it has no affect on me and yuck side effects.

Several months back my neurologist put me on Lyrica and it really had no side effects for me, it just also didn't help. However in my case, I think they've missed the mark as to what is really causing my pain. But as far any euphoric feeling, or anything else that would make me feel 'good'... naa. It's also very expensive, as there is no generic. I would say it's a much better alternative to neurontin though. Neurontin's been known for some very bad side effects...

sweetpain
02-11-2008, 05:46 PM
Sorry but I beg to differ your opinion on neurontin. And just fyi I'm not a kid-I'm in my early 50's and have been around the block and back quite a few times back in my younger days. Don't think there's a drug I wouldn't try. I even snuck in my bro's van and went to "Woodstock" and stayed high for 3 days and nights.

Anyway, that out of the way, I always run out of my opies early-I'm sure you know why. Can't help it, the pain I'm in is incredible so I have to take more than prescribed. I've been on neurontin for over 6 years now and took them as prescribed always--but one night I had no "goodies" left so thought, what the hell, I'll eat 5 of these (instead of the 3 i'm prescribed-i take 3 pills 3x day which is 9 pills). I loved the high. It takes about an hour for them to kick in, but wow, awesome.

So, now I have to take 6 to get off, but I take 6, then about an hour later, once it kicks in, I'll take another 6. That makes it last longer. It takes a long time to kick in, but the high lasts so long.

Have you honestly tried taking 6 neurontin at one time? Or perhaps you would need 7 or 8 depending on your um body mass (no pun intended). Depends on weight and height.

I'm actually buzzing right now-took 6-3hrs ago, then about an hour ago took another six to kick it in and make it last longer. It's not the same as the opies but I myself like the high.

sweetpain
02-11-2008, 06:16 PM
Hi Sky. Yes, there is a generic for Neurontin-called Gabapentin. Yes, they are expensive. I have to take them for nerve pain in my legs and they work great. I have a script for 270 month. Funny, started out taking 90 a month, but since I've been on them so long, doc keeps upping the dosage.

There are 300mg which are the tablets and 60mg which are pill form.

REVEREND
02-14-2008, 07:58 AM
I used to take it fer nerve damage.It worked better then opiates fer that pain butt nothin else.
At first it made me tired butt after awhile it did nothing.I haven't takin it fer a year or two
REV

dharma bum
02-14-2008, 09:18 AM
I mostly take neurontin for recreational value and i find the stuff extremely interesting. I am usually a little reserved. With neurontin, I am chatty, outgoing. Everything seems more important than it is. I find other peole more interesting when i take it. To me it does not enhance the paint meducation i take. It does enhance sex. I tell ya, I thought it was just me and mu lady friend but later i heard from other people.
Neorontin helped me thru withdawal. No muscle pain or obcession about other drugs
Now that im a little older those receptor's must be damaged or fried...but when i get say, over 5 grams of the stuff in me it becomes like old times on smaller doses. I am inspired, absorbed in everything. i FEEL LIKE a spong, just soaking in my evnironment.
I've heard it to compared to ecstacy or more closely GHB................

reddragon3668
02-14-2008, 10:28 AM
My experience with Neurontin was good. I was put on it for nerve pain and when I went back to work after surgery, it was a god send. I made it 15 months after retuning to work, but I don't think I would have made it half that time if it wasn't for Neurontin. Unfortunately, once the dose got increased to a certain level, the side effects (mainly stomach problems) got intolerable.

In my experience, there is no recreational value to it. Like Rogue and dharma, I did find that it helped take the edge off withdrawals, and any help during that shitty time is good.

All I can say is, if its free, give it a whirl. I wouldn't pay anything for it though. Its been 6 years or so since I've taken it, but I think I was taking like 2500 mg a day when they took me off of it. I hope it works out for you. If it doesn't, you've not lost anything. Good luck!

OxyMan
02-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Neurontin's been known for some very bad side effects...

Actually, Neurontin's been know for a very low side effect profile.

I've been seeing my psych for anxiety. Have been taking cymbalta for a while now (don't think it does anything but that's just me) and have a small script of Ativan for "panic attacks" (never get them, except twice on pot and a horrible one after smoking several icebong's to ease a coke comedown). I've been trying to get my doc to give me more benzo's, but he's very resistant. After he tried to put me on Buspirone (don't want seizures), I agreed to try neurontin.

He put me on a pathetic dose of 100 mg twice a day. After nothing helping my anxiety (except opiates/benzos), he bumped me up to 300 mg twice a day. I don't notice anything, but I'm not very sensitive to small changes in mood. I've been debating whether to take a bunch, but am not sure of how much to take...

sidman
12-05-2010, 08:31 PM
I have two script refills for this stuff...one for 90 800mgs and one for 90 600mgs...I love the stuff...eat em' like candy ( not good I guess but hey,I'm an addict) and you need to take more n more n more n more n more but I've actually rolled off of 'em....came close to seizure threshold a couple times with the "zaps" but whatever....I also have people that actually want to buy them from me( don't ask...I ain't stupid,I've been here for Years n years).....they work good for benzo/opi detox but thats just me...

sweetpain
12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
I'll save you the trouble of even clicking on the links. neurotonin sucks. worthless for having fun. doesnt feel good. doesnt feel like ANYTHING. Whoever said it feels better than any opiate, etc etc is a fuckin dumbass. Thats the problem with the Erowid experience reports- theres a lot of kids out there that really want to contribute, but dont have the knowledge or experience to give a worthwhile experience report.

What experiences have you had with neurontin? Obviously none cuz I would agree that it's up there with my favorite opiates, if not better. I have been advocating neuontin for years bcz it DOES help with opiate w/drawals and I get a nice buzz off it. I've been taking em almost 10 years and can't wait to fill my script when I run out, which is ALWAYS.

I have a high tolerance to oxycontins, oc30s, opanas and dillies. I have a friend who also has a high tolerance
and he did as I told him on how to catch a buzz and he said an hour into work, he had to leave cuz he was so fu...ing high (now he had never done neurontin, but pret near everything else incl heroin). He still jokes bout it whenever he sees me.

Here's how I take them. Take 5 and wait about 30 -45 min when they start kicking in. Then take another 5 or 6. Then sit back and let em kick in. Within an hour, if you ain't higher n a mofo, let me know, cuz I have told this to a mess of people and they are freaking amazed. Some ppl I told, instead of taking 5 and wtg to take other 5 tried taking 10 at once and for some strange reason, it don't work. Others tried taking 7 and 7. Seems the lucky number is 5. Don't believe me if you don't want to but take it from a nonbeliever and it works for me.

Oh and yes, there are studies using very high amts of neurontin to thwart off w/d in meth addicts and the results are astounding. Another thing it helps with is those leg pains at night.

smackNcheez
12-05-2010, 09:20 PM
Personally, I don't like them a lot for recreation, but they're definitely effective. For rec purposes, I will combine them with my pain meds, and yes, they're much more delightful then. If someone is looking for them as a high by itself, to me it's a so-so experience. But as a potentiator, added on, they're great.

They're good even just for the medicinal value. When I would run out of opiates and couldn't get out of bed cause I was hurting too much, they were invaluable to me to stop the sensation of having a gnome standing there punching me in the fronts of the thighs. I wasn't taking a dose that was high enough for recreation, but they were still damned helpful.

JonnyM
12-05-2010, 09:37 PM
You do know you bumped a 2008 thread that added nothing substantial, right?

smackNcheez
12-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Sorry Johnny, didn't realize that it had been necro'd since I grabbed it from the New Posts section.

havok
12-06-2010, 12:08 AM
Sorry Johnny, didn't realize that it had been necro'd since I grabbed it from the New Posts section.

It wasn't you smack, it was the other guy sidman whose "been here for Years n years". You think he would have figured out how to read the date on a thread before posting by now.

pulp90
12-06-2010, 04:24 AM
i'll take it every day twice a day(300mg x2) and i don't find any recreational effect,it helps me only when i'm in whitdrawal

LayinLow
12-07-2010, 01:16 AM
i once took a dusty thread while in withdrawal, along with Omega 3 fatty fish oils from a salmon skin, and a 1mL Tuarine shot (straight outta bull testes) , and I not only was still in w/d, my girl said I smelled like 4 fried catfish balls, better than nothing, u know?

MindAsh
12-09-2010, 06:48 AM
Here's how I take them. Take 5 and wait about 30 -45 min when they start kicking in. Then take another 5 or 6. Then sit back and let em kick in. Within an hour, if you ain't higher n a mofo, let me know, cuz I have told this to a mess of people and they are freaking amazed. Some ppl I told, instead of taking 5 and wtg to take other 5 tried taking 10 at once and for some strange reason, it don't work. Others tried taking 7 and 7. Seems the lucky number is 5. Don't believe me if you don't want to but take it from a nonbeliever and it works for me.

the thing with neurontin is , if you dose too much at once it actually absorbs less into you which would explain the 5 thing, idk what mg your talkin about so that makes me question your knowledge on the subject but i do advocate neurontin for those in withdrawal, i've notice it help with the allodynia (burning nerve ending sensation) felt during wd but thats about it, otherwise if i take 3 doses (600mgx5, neurontin I HEAR is impossible to od on and ive taken entire bottles in minutes /shrug) i dont reccomend this tho nor advocate it it in any way but yeah 5 3 times instead of two as you describe here i just end up feeling numb (literally like im covered in lidocaine but not pleasurable oat all) and have a horrible time with balance. aside from that, no i've been on it and have tried taking it various ways for the past 9 years so trust me if anyone would know

soggy
12-09-2010, 01:17 PM
I find that any combination of opiates (morphine and heroin, for instance) with neurontin only does one thing: puts me right to sleep.

So if you need sleep, that's a mix you might want to consider.

soggy

MindAsh
12-09-2010, 10:34 PM
interesting soggy, ive never noticed that happen before but i generally save my neurontin for when i run out of opi's for a neruological condition known as allodynia i suffer from, it seems neurontin is the second best thing and aside from lyrica the only thing that alliviates some of the pain from this which is not welcome on top of WD. then again i notice that if i take neurontin in the right dose as described previously without any tolerance built, say the time of the month i just begin to take it again after runnin out of opi's, then it will knock me out pretty easy should i be comfy in my bed. now mix that same sedation with opi's and maybe that would be the cure to those nights where im nodding but cant seem to pass into sleep and just stay in a lucid trance state just above sleep . i shall try that, thanks for the info

webay
12-12-2010, 12:16 PM
at the right dose which i find is around 2k-2400mgs..it does give you a weird sedating buzz not something i would want to take and then go out for a night of fun..but for a night of bad WD'S they can be awesome they do make you tired so u can possibly get some sleep give a slightt amount of pain relief and some relaxation so neurotin and enough lope is a GREAT combo to help kick or just get through a night of sickness

MindAsh
12-12-2010, 05:40 PM
webay i completely agree but also check up on what i said previously about neurontin not absorbing well at higher doses taken all at once, if i find the exact info on it i'll post it but its best to take lower doses spread out a wee bit to get a full effect from. but yeah it can be a lifesaver when it comes to getting sleep during WD

Oxyphile
12-13-2010, 09:02 PM
Yes, I think Neurontin is good for some things. Since it effects GABA, it is fairly synergistic with other drugs that work on GABA such as benzos and even alcohol, although I'm not much of a drinker anymore. Gabapentin (Neurontin) helps with my anxiety and sleep issues. As an adjunct to my clonazepam script, I find it has more effect than standing on it's own. It also works nicely with opiates/opioids, but then again what doesn't? :p

I did notice a difference in my anxiety and sleep when I ran out of my gabapentin for a few days. I've never taken it in the 2000mg+ range like some people have posted, but in the 300-1500mg range it still helps me. Tolerance seems to come on fast and hard though, so I sometimes skip a day completely or take a few only at night rather than throughout the day as prescribed. Good luck with it HandMeSomeOpiates, a few people I've come across dislike it and you may find yourself to be one of them. Otherwise, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

SuperJunky
12-14-2010, 09:56 AM
Be careful w/ this stuff, it's hard to over dose on (I'm supposed to take 800mg X3 / day for anxiety/migraine prevention) but the WD is fuckin horrible. I'd rather go through benzo WD. If your in benzo WD it is helpful, it's good for opiate WD and I did give some to a friend of mine that was in meth WD (if you can call it that) and he found it useful. The gabspentin WD/ benzo WD combo is the worst hell I've ever gone through. And this shit is fuckin expensive. Considering it's generic it should be cheap but nope, $172.xx a month w/ no insurance. Picamilon is very similar and is the only thing I've found that helps w/ the gabapentin WD. I've yet to try phenibute, but I assume it would be helpful as well.

I ended up in the hospital at one point w/ almost no Blood Pressure (the doctor said I should be dead). My docs cool, he called the ER, told them to give me IV diluadid, my clonopin, clonodine and gabapentin ASAP. What happens? I get there and the head ER doc wouldn't do it. I get promethazine and clonodine. My potasium was so low my heart was about to stop. I finally told the head nurse give me some sort of opiate and benzo or I'm gonna AMA and go die some where. He snuck me a 10 mg IV shot of diluadid and 2mgs of atavan IV. I was then moved to the tilemetry unit where they gave me no gabapentin, and no opiates, and for the first day no benzo. I couldn't even get a damn naproxen w/ out that jerk doctors permission. They jerked me around so bad I'll never go to that hospital as long as I live. I made my doctor sign a DNR if I ended up in that particular hospital again.

HydroApe
12-14-2010, 06:03 PM
Does anyone here actually prefer Neurontin to Lyrica?
I mean, those of you who do benefit from these medications either recreationally or clinically?
I know they are VERY similar. I do agree that both are beneficial during opiate WD.
For me, the help is mostly with the restless legs, muscle spasm part of WD.
The reason I ask is because I mostly have acess to Lyrica. Neurontin wouldn't be hard for me to make a switch to though, especially if there would be a good reason to do so.

SuperJunky
12-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Requip is a great drug for restless leg. Ropinrole will usually knock me on my ass. My moms prescribed it for RLS, a .25mg pill puts her out. The only downside is it can give you very bad, very frighting semi-lucid dreams, sometimes you can get "stuck" in them, you realize your dreaming, want out but can't get out. It's generic so if you don't have insurance it should be cheap.

MindAsh
12-15-2010, 12:16 AM
Be careful w/ this stuff, it's hard to over dose on (I'm supposed to take 800mg X3 / day for anxiety/migraine prevention) but the WD is fuckin horrible. I'd rather go through benzo WD.

odd to hear that man, ive taken neurontin at high doses dily (600mg 4x a day prescribed) and theres times where ill take 3-5x's that much and even after taking it daily for months in sucession ive never once experienced any sort of withdrawal from it, are you sure about this? i've read places that it can cause WD but i always thought the people complaining about it were just experiencing some form of placebo WD. honestly i cant say stopping a long term high dose of this stuff has ever had any kind of effect on me

as for lyrica
i switch between the two often when i gather a tolerance to one but both are pretty much the same drug except lyrica is newer and stronger but work on the same parts of the brain the same way im fairly certain, i wouldnt take one over the other tho they both seem pretty even to me in their ability to help WD as well as the neurological pain im prescribed them for

SuperJunky
12-15-2010, 02:09 AM
odd to hear that man, ive taken neurontin at high doses dily (600mg 4x a day prescribed) and theres times where ill take 3-5x's that much and even after taking it daily for months in sucession ive never once experienced any sort of withdrawal from it, are you sure about this? i've read places that it can cause WD but i always thought the people complaining about it were just experiencing some form of placebo WD. honestly i cant say stopping a long term high dose of this stuff has ever had any kind of effect on me

I'm sure. But then again I have the most unusual neurochemistry of any one I've ever met. I never get a 'typical' response from any drug/chemical. I'm not even 100% sure I'm fuckin human. Need to run some DNA sequences or something. When I go out I'm definitely having my brain studied. Genetic defect (my parents are brother and sister) or the next evolution in I don't and probably never will know. Hopefully some useful data will be obtained by my autopsy.

upstate_007
12-15-2010, 07:08 AM
Does anyone here actually prefer Neurontin to Lyrica?
I mean, those of you who do benefit from these medications either recreationally or clinically?
I know they are VERY similar. I do agree that both are beneficial during opiate WD.
For me, the help is mostly with the restless legs, muscle spasm part of WD.
The reason I ask is because I mostly have acess to Lyrica. Neurontin wouldn't be hard for me to make a switch to though, especially if there would be a good reason to do so.

As a med for nerve pain I preferred Neurontin. The side effects were a lot more mild for me. Lyrica made me gain a ton of weight very quickly and made me feel way too spacey. Neurontin made me feel out of it, but not as bad. But, neither of them really worked for the pain anyway so I stopped taking them.

Oxyphile
12-24-2010, 09:17 PM
I prefer Neurontin to Lyrica as well, although I should preface my statements with the fact that I have more experience with Neurontin. It worked better for my neurological symptoms, which are not so much pain but more numbness, tingling and other strange sensations in my legs. Maybe if I took Lyrica more frequently I would feel differently, but I have taken it 5-10 times and when I did it made my head feel weird. My mind was rather foggy and it was hard for me to focus or concentrate. I don't seem to have the same troubles with my mental faculties when taking Neurontin, but this may be because I am more accustomed to taking it.

Inside_out
02-18-2011, 10:23 AM
I know this is an old thread and please don't hate me for *bumping* it!

But i'm currently on Gabapentin and i'm supposed to take 600-800mg per day but it can make me loopy so my new dr wrote me a script for Lyrica for 200mg per day (work my way up to that) and i've read y'alls posts and my question is: If you had to choose would you choose Gabapentin or Lyrica? I've read scary stuff about Lyrica and i've had my own scares with Gabapentin, I just want to choose the lesser of the two evils so to speak.

Thanks

teefizzle
02-18-2011, 10:36 AM
I know this is an old thread and please don't hate me for *bumping* it!

But i'm currently on Gabapentin and i'm supposed to take 600-800mg per day but it can make me loopy so my new dr wrote me a script for Lyrica for 200mg per day (work my way up to that) and i've read y'alls posts and my question is: If you had to choose would you choose Gabapentin or Lyrica? I've read scary stuff about Lyrica and i've had my own scares with Gabapentin, I just want to choose the lesser of the two evils so to speak.

Thanks
i prefer lyrica and I've had both

it's like a more potent version of neurontin

Junkette
02-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I was on 1200mgs for about a year. The wd lasted for 6months and it was hands down the worst time of my life. I thought was losing my mind. I was 21 and never had wd before. As with anything else be veryvery careful.

Inside_out
02-18-2011, 11:01 AM
i prefer lyrica and I've had both

it's like a more potent version of neurontin
Ok thanks, so you think it would make me more loopy or is it impossible to tell? I'm getting the script filled today I just want to really know everything before I start taking it!

I was on 1200mgs for about a year. The wd lasted for 6months and it was hands down the worst time of my life. I thought was losing my mind. I was 21 and never had wd before. As with anything else be veryvery careful.
The w/d from Gaba or Lyrica? Were you switching from one to the other or just stopping use?

AndiPandi
02-18-2011, 01:22 PM
I can't comment on Lyrica as I'm about to start it myself. Gabapentin does stop making you loopy after a period of being on it. I'm maxed out on the dosage and take up to 3600 mgs doesn't make me loopy at all. But in the beginning titrating up to that dose, yeah I said a lot of shit I didn't have a clue I said. Anyway, just wanted to let you know if Lyrica doesn't work out.

Inside_out
02-18-2011, 02:31 PM
I can't comment on Lyrica as I'm about to start it myself. Gabapentin does stop making you loopy after a period of being on it. I'm maxed out on the dosage and take up to 3600 mgs doesn't make me loopy at all. But in the beginning titrating up to that dose, yeah I said a lot of shit I didn't have a clue I said. Anyway, just wanted to let you know if Lyrica doesn't work out.

Thanks yea i've been on gabapentin for over a year but I have a different dr and since I had a break in between i'm back to square one (concerning the neurotin anyway). I'm on the way to get the lyrica now but i'm not going to start it until tomorrow haha not going to mix those 2!

AndiPandi
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm interested to know how it goes. Do please update.

Also, is there any reason why you wouldn't mix them? My dr explained that I would wean off one while going up with the other. I'd imagine it'd be hard to just stop gabapentin. Although, I am at a much higher dose.

Inside_out
02-18-2011, 04:32 PM
I'm interested to know how it goes. Do please update.

Also, is there any reason why you wouldn't mix them? My dr explained that I would wean off one while going up with the other. I'd imagine it'd be hard to just stop gabapentin. Although, I am at a much higher dose.
It's probably because I just started taking the gabapentin again about a day or 2 ago.

Junkette
02-19-2011, 11:53 AM
I was on neurontin. I stopped because I turned into a complete zombie.

Inside_out
02-19-2011, 12:03 PM
I was on neurontin. I stopped because I turned into a complete zombie.

I don't think it's turning me into a zombie (gabapentin definitely didn't) but since starting Lyrica i've been dropping stuff a lot. I don't remember last night at all and this morning I cut my finger while cutting a grapefruit and I didn't feel it and was just like "where's all this blood coming from?!" Then I saw my finger...so I don't know. I haven't even gotten to the max dose yet i've just been working up to it and I don't know if I like it. I don't feel like it even helps my sciatic pain but maybe I just need to wait a few days?

I don't know what do y'all think? It's only a trial period (only got 20 pills to try) should I call my dr today or wait a few days and see how it pans out?

teefizzle
02-19-2011, 12:07 PM
do you smoke weed on the lyrica? fun combo

jill
02-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't think it's turning me into a zombie (gabapentin definitely didn't) but since starting Lyrica i've been dropping stuff a lot. I don't remember last night at all and this morning I cut my finger while cutting a grapefruit and I didn't feel it and was just like "where's all this blood coming from?!" Then I saw my finger...so I don't know. I haven't even gotten to the max dose yet i've just been working up to it and I don't know if I like it. I don't feel like it even helps my sciatic pain but maybe I just need to wait a few days?

I don't know what do y'all think? It's only a trial period (only got 20 pills to try) should I call my dr today or wait a few days and see how it pans out?

I have been on both Neurontin (brand) for 10+ years, started it when it was brand new. A different Dr wanted to change me to Lyrica later, so I did that. I lasted 3 months on Lyrica. Fluid retention is a very common side effect of Lyrica. I didn't have that, I had FAT retention. I gained 20% of my BW, went from 100-105 to 120 pounds in 3 months. I never felt better physically than on Lyrica, but the weight gain was too dangerous of a side effect. I had no idea I was gaining weight until the last 6 weeks, when I was exercising more and NOT losing any weight.

It never affected my appetite, it just slowed my metabolism incredibly.

Neurontin was very hard for me to get to a therapeutic dose. Lyrica was much easier comparatively. However, you won't know the full effects of either until at least a month in.

I kind of scanned the posts prior to me so if you have a more specific question feel free to ask.

Inside_out
02-19-2011, 04:16 PM
do you smoke weed on the lyrica? fun combo
Yea haha uhhh it was an interesting afternoon!

I have been on both Neurontin (brand) for 10+ years, started it when it was brand new. A different Dr wanted to change me to Lyrica later, so I did that. I lasted 3 months on Lyrica. Fluid retention is a very common side effect of Lyrica. I didn't have that, I had FAT retention. I gained 20% of my BW, went from 100-105 to 120 pounds in 3 months. I never felt better physically than on Lyrica, but the weight gain was too dangerous of a side effect. I had no idea I was gaining weight until the last 6 weeks, when I was exercising more and NOT losing any weight.

It never affected my appetite, it just slowed my metabolism incredibly.

Neurontin was very hard for me to get to a therapeutic dose. Lyrica was much easier comparatively. However, you won't know the full effects of either until at least a month in.

I kind of scanned the posts prior to me so if you have a more specific question feel free to ask.
Yea I'm worried about that weight gain thing. I'll try it out for the trial but i'm kind of skeptical still...

OpiatedChronically
03-03-2011, 03:51 PM
I was prescribed Gabapentin for nerve pain when I had Sciatica as a result of herniated discs. It worked great, I didn't develop side effects at all, not one, it just relieved the nerve pain when even opiates couldn't do that. It took about a week to find the right dose, and apparently my doctor said I was on a higher than average dose (I was on 4,200mg a day) It was a pretty decent WD comfort med as well, calming my RLS and anxiety, helped a bit with the general aches that come with WD, and sometimes it would help me sleep.

Then on Christmas 2009 my mother bought an Inversion Table for me. Within 10 days I was completely off the Gabapentin, although I did slowly taper off for another 2 weeks after only because I felt really anxious when I stopped abruptly, which NO DOCTOR warned me about. W/D from gabapentin is very real, and although IMO dependence doesn't develop as quickly as with benzos and opioids, it DOES develop.

One of the best things about gabapentin is the diffuculty of OD. You can take well over 20 grams and still be ok, although you SHOULD NOT need more than just a few grams of this drug to gain beneficial results. This is to give you an idea of how safe the drug is, in terms of dose. From the official packet info on Gabapentin:

"Acute oral overdoses of Gabapentin up to 49 grams have been reported. In these cases, double vision, slurred speech, drowsiness, lethargy and diarrhea were observed. All patients recovered with supportive care."

Just because you can take massive doses in terms of grams instead of milligrams, doesn't NOT mean you should just pop 20 grams and see what happens. ALWAYS start at as low a dose as possible and titrate up as needed.

The Ryan
03-07-2011, 09:22 AM
Just because you can take massive doses in terms of grams instead of milligrams, doesn't NOT mean you should just pop 20 grams and see what happens. ALWAYS start at as low a dose as possible and titrate up as needed.

heed this warning you guys, for every drug!

More Feen
03-07-2011, 04:30 PM
If you search the engine, you might find a Neurotin Post by me from a few years ago.

Its seems to be pretty much hit or miss for most folks. For me, it did wonders trying to kick an opi-habit. 800mg would have me feeling fuzzy, with some odd bodily sensations. Nothing at all like an opiate, but closer to a benzo type of effect.

I liked it, and if I still had some, I would use it a few times a week. Not something I would ask my doctor for, or try to buy illegally. But if some turned-up in my pocket, I wouldn't throw them away.

It seems like ~15--20% of people who take it like it to some degree. ~60% who take it don't care for it much. And maybe 20% who neither hate it nor like.

M F

Inside_out
03-09-2011, 09:11 PM
Yea I like them they help my sciatic pain like nothing else has.