PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol and Methadone

Raz
01-05-2008, 03:31 AM
Hola, any answers out there.?I,ve been told that if you use alcohol excessively while trying to get clean on Done, the alcohol will mess your sytem up.Easy ? is ;is it better to stay off the booze while trying to get clean using done?As sometimes i use the booze just to knock myself out when the cravings are bad.Appreciate any advice from those in the kno...Raz

Duckfeet
01-05-2008, 04:31 AM
I never noticed it made any difference, unless it was just that alcohol always made me say "fuck it," and go do something other than methadone... I don't drink anymore, and maybe that's why I've stayed on methadone this long...on the other hand, u said "get clean on 'Done" and that might be something else. I always find that when *detoxing* whether on methadone, or anything else, that alcohol just makes me thro in the towel...always get drunk, then get money, then get high...never fails...I don't suppose alcohol, really makes any physical difference, unless u consider hangovers and such a "difference..."

Hola, any answers out there.?I,ve been told that if you use alcohol excessively while trying to get clean on Done, the alcohol will mess your sytem up.Easy ? is ;is it better to stay off the booze while trying to get clean using done?As sometimes i use the booze just to knock myself out when the cravings are bad.Appreciate any advice from those in the kno...Raz

Saint
01-05-2008, 08:31 AM
I always drink when WD-ing from done. Not too much though. In Spain I liked those cheap brandy's they sell in every bar: they usually pour you a huge glass for 3 euro's or even less. I felt great - or at least it made me feel somewhat better - but not so much so the day after... going through WD's WITH a hangover is about the worst feeling there is.
But normally I always drink a few beers in the evening and it helps me relax. Never during the day though and never all night long, just a couple.
In the past alcohol usually had me running off to the nearest dealer but somehow I'm past that now.
But I too have read that you shouldn't drink alcohol during WD's. My guess is that you might dehydrate in WD-s and alcohol might make things even worse and/or DF's reason: you tend to throw in the towel sooner.
Hope you get a more 'scientific' explanation. I'm interested in this too.

trainwrecker
01-05-2008, 08:37 AM
I used to drink pretty often when I was on the done. And usually it did make me feel worse, especially the next day.

I think I heard, and I personally believe that alcohol kind of 'eats up' your methadone, making you sicker faster. It does seem like after a few drinks your 'wellness' kind of starts wearing away.

I used to be on the clinic three times a week, and I would drink all my takehomes with my normal dose so by the next day or two days later I was really needing some opiate. Drinking in that situation was the worst thing to do, it made me feel so much worse...

reddragon3668
01-05-2008, 10:35 AM
Before I quit drinking in 2003, I was drinking a case, case and a half of beer a day along with 120-169ng of methadone. Its a very wicked combination, imo. Definitely gives you that. "I don't give a fuck" feeling that Duck described. I would not recommend it to no one... at least, thats the official word.

Saint
01-05-2008, 12:06 PM
No, I wouldn't recommend that either, a case or a case and a half is quite a lot, especially in WD-s. But as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with having a few glasses of wine or cans of beer to take the edge of things.
I guess it depends on your personality: if you know you can keep it moderate and when it adds to your chances of a succesfull taper, it's o.k. imo. But if you know that you're unable to stop drinking after a few glasses or are prone to getting that 'what the fuck-mentality' and go scoring, then it's a definite NO I guess..

Still no-one who knows the scientific side of this? Does alcohol prevent your brain from 'healing' during a taper/WD's etc.? Does it interfere somehow, even when used in moderation?
And is it true that alcohol shortens the halflife of methadone? So that it doesn't work as long as it would without any alcohol? (I keep hearing this but have yet to read any proof of this. I don't have any problems with it myself)

mollywopped
01-05-2008, 10:01 PM
I think it just makes yuor body metabolize the methadone quicker or something along those lines. It seems, as someone else already said, that the more you drink, the quicker the methadone wears off. so if you are using methadone to detox, which sucks anyway, I mean, you are already gonna be kinda sick all the time and then adding the booze which makes you sick even quicker, just can't be a good combo.

Diener
01-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Honestly I think the alcohol is just going to make you do more drugs. Or eat more food. Or make an ass out of yourself more often.

Raz
01-06-2008, 01:27 AM
No, I wouldn't recommend that either, a case or a case and a half is quite a lot, especially in WD-s. But as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with having a few glasses of wine or cans of beer to take the edge of things.
I guess it depends on your personality: if you know you can keep it moderate and when it adds to your chances of a succesfull taper, it's o.k. imo. But if you know that you're unable to stop drinking after a few glasses or are prone to getting that 'what the fuck-mentality' and go scoring, then it's a definite NO I guess..

Still no-one who knows the scientific side of this? Does alcohol prevent your brain from 'healing' during a taper/WD's etc.? Does it interfere somehow, even when used in moderation?
And is it true that alcohol shortens the halflife of methadone? So that it doesn't work as long as it would without any alcohol? (I keep hearing this but have yet to read any proof of this. I don't have any problems with it myself)

This is what i,m talking about this halflife or whatever. The scientific stuff ; what happens to the meth or the way your body absorbs it. I,ve been told by swim that alcohol fucks wiv your juice intake. Makes it leave your system quicker. I am only a beer drinker, trying to cut down, now i am on a litre an evening.
I would appreciate some answers from those guys in the know.Not wether booze makes you an arsehole or do more drugs....Peace Raz

Inspektahdek
01-07-2008, 07:22 PM
not a bad combo, just don't overdue it and like me start nodding with a beer in your hand and pass out and have a full beer, freshly opened pour upon the floorish. heehee good times, yet not the greatest idea. Not drinking beer but really overdoing it and taking mass quantities of methadone. I was doing like 150mg done and drinking a half crate around 12 beers like an american case. MODERATION IS KEY my friend.

mollywopped
01-07-2008, 09:16 PM
This is what i,m talking about this halflife or whatever. The scientific stuff ; what happens to the meth or the way your body absorbs it. I,ve been told by swim that alcohol fucks wiv your juice intake. Makes it leave your system quicker. I am only a beer drinker, trying to cut down, now i am on a litre an evening.
I would appreciate some answers from those guys in the know.Not wether booze makes you an arsehole or do more drugs....Peace Raz

Yes, I do believe that alcohol does make you metabolize the methadone faster. Personally, I almost never drink anymore, but I take another guy with me to the clinic and he drinks beer from the minute we wakes up until he passes out at night and it does seem that he gets dope sick faster than me and we are on the same dose and take it with in a minute of eachother. But, we are 2 different people so that obviously has an effect. But the docs at the clinic have told him he needs to cut way back on the drinking because of the half life and metabolizing issues.

EleusisII
01-07-2008, 11:43 PM
Yes, I do believe that alcohol does make you metabolize the methadone faster.

I think you might be right. I was surfing on a methadone-advocacy website awhile ago, and they had a nice little pdf handout thingy of which drugs can affect methadone metabolization. Alcohol was one of the drugs, that made the methadone disappear faster from your system, from what I remember.

Woah, no... Wait a second. I found it, and it seems that acute alcohol intake increases the levels of methadone in you, while chronic alcohol use decreases the levels. Apparently because they both use the same liverenzymes.

OK... There are pages upon pages of which drugs interact with methadone here, even some antibiotics. I guess I'll just leave a link, and let people check it out for themselves. I've never seen anything like this on the site, so it might be interesting reading for some of you guys. Maybe somebody could make a sticky? Interesting information for sure. Scroll down to page 22:

http://pain-topics.org/pdf/Methadone-Drug_Intx_2006.pdf

opi8fiend
01-07-2008, 11:55 PM
this thread is very ironic due to the fact that i have not logged on here for a while, and first thing i see is this thread when i do log on, and guess what I'm doing? drinking warsteiner after i ate a wafer. To me it really doesn't have any negative effects. like stated above, moderation is key....just a few beers on top of done probably won't hurt it....im not sure about potentiating it....

Raz
01-08-2008, 02:40 AM
not a bad combo, just don't overdue it and like me start nodding with a beer in your hand and pass out and have a full beer, freshly opened pour upon the floorish. heehee good times, yet not the greatest idea. Not drinking beer but really overdoing it and taking mass quantities of methadone. I was doing like 150mg done and drinking a half crate around 12 beers like an american case. MODERATION IS KEY my friend.

Hola, i was doin exactly what you've just desribed. Fuck knows what clinical dose of juice i'm on as i buy it straight from the same guy every week, as soon as he's a few steps away from the metabus.
But the alcohol has been fuckin wiv my breathing and my juice intake. Now that i've cut down to a ltr per night , strictly after 6pm ( b4 i was opening a beer at 11am) i feel like i am getting somewhere.Even managed to put on a few lbs.So i think i'm goin in ze right direction.
But would it be better if i didnt drink at all???? Last night i really enjoyed my limited amount of beer...
Any clues out there, as my aim is to eventually get clean?.. Peace Raz

20Dollarholla
01-11-2008, 07:42 AM
I was under the impression that it was the other way around and that 3 drinks or more a day would slow your metabolism down and the blood concentration levels of methadone would stay higher longer.

Sadly I cant check the book they gave me when I started MMT because I gave it to my consouler since the information he had on methadone was from the HBO documentry "Methadonia".

I think it just makes yuor body metabolize the methadone quicker or something along those lines. It seems, as someone else already said, that the more you drink, the quicker the methadone wears off. so if you are using methadone to detox, which sucks anyway, I mean, you are already gonna be kinda sick all the time and then adding the booze which makes you sick even quicker, just can't be a good combo.

MPVT
01-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Drinking alcohol decreases the methadone serum level.You have to drink quite regularily and drink a fair bit for this to happen.You can actually go from being on a stable dose to withdrawls and cravings.So be careful and try not to booze it up to much........Dave

Raz
01-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Drinking alcohol decreases the methadone serum level.You have to drink quite regularily and drink a fair bit for this to happen.You can actually go from being on a stable dose to withdrawls and cravings.So be careful and try not to booze it up to much........Dave
Dave thanks for the info, along with everyone else who took the time to type. I guess done and booze dont mix.. I feel lots better since i've cut down on ze booozzzzzee. Thanks Raz

Chipper
01-11-2008, 02:58 PM
Alcohol with Methadone always made me sweat more and feel like I was hanging out. It always started out well but end up worse. A bad combination in my books.

mikells43
01-12-2008, 12:08 AM
Before I quit drinking in 2003, I was drinking a case, case and a half of beer a day along with 120-169ng of methadone. Its a very wicked combination, imo. Definitely gives you that. "I don't give a fuck" feeling that Duck described. I would not recommend it to no one... at least, thats the official word.

thats a shitload of beer lol. bet u pissed alot lol. thats like drinking a little more than a five gallon bucket of beer a day. u should have gotten kegs lol. yea im glad i stopped drinking too. and never fails when i didn't have opiates i was drunk, and when i was drunk i said fuck it im doing whatever i can to get those sweet little bastards in my system. some nites i would stop drinking after getting them and finish the nite on opiates. as an alcoholic thats rare for me to put down the booze but opiates were the only thing that ment more to me than booze

Raz
01-12-2008, 03:16 AM
Hola, guess the word is ;its a fucked up combo....Since i've cut down life is sweeter.No drinkin b4 6-7pm, not 11am anymore and we are all happier.....The sun is shining and the weather is sweet...
Fuck, why didnt i do this years ago??? Might be coz i,m a junkie who cant hear and has to feel, to learn anything......Thanks for the input....Raz