PDA

View Full Version : How much does it cost to start Bup/Sub treatment?

Vico-Dan
01-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I'm considering starting Bup/Sub treatment/maintanence. I simply cannot go to a Meth clinic on a daily basis due to work schedule, so I'm considering seeing a Dr. for Bup/Sub

I understand the medications isn't that expensive (or is it?) but the Dr. visits, bloodwork etc.. can add up. I have no insurance currently, so I will be paying out of pocket.

I currently spend about $400.00 + per month on Pharmacueticals (Norco, Tramadol) but my tolerance is going up and up, so I must use more and more just to achieve baseline, and it's getting quite expensive, and I'm tired constantly worrying about if FedEx/UPS is going to show up with my scripts on time, making drug money my priority etc...

I love opiates, for a variety of reasons, but am quickly approaching the point where I can no longer afford them, due to my tolerance. I take about 15 Norco per day, when I have them, and about 15-20 Tramadol on non-Norco days.

So, what does an initial visit, including all tests and bloodwork costs, the cost of the meds, and the monthly maintanence costs?

Thanks

Oh yeah - what's the difference between Bupe and Subox?
And, is there any Euphoric feelings when taking those drugs?

Daniroo
01-28-2006, 07:10 PM
Hi there Vico-Dan this is Daniroo2, Anyhow I really wonder where or who told you sub was inexpensive,? I only say that because I currently am spending about $495-498.00 a month, I don't have insurance so when I go see my sub doc, he charges me roughly 100.00 per visit every month But I do live in MT and all so maybe sub docs where ever y'all are are a bit cheaper but Vico-Dan I was shooting 60mg. ms contin's , at least 6-10 a day, I had quite a big tolerance, when and if I didn't have my opiode's that I loved to shoot I would roughly be taking 15-20 10/10 hydrocodone,(or vicodin's) but one time when I ran out and had been super dope sick for about 3-4 days a fellow doper told me he could hook me up w/ half a 8mg suboxone I was so desperate so I took it, It more than put me back into tip top shape!! and that was at 600mg morphine habit so, anyway when I was first put on suboxone I read and found out all there was to know about sub, I thought I would be taking the maximum dosage of 4, 8mg's a day but when the doctor said just start wiith like one and then if you feel you need more then take more just don't exceed 4 of the 8mg I was all thinking sweet I can just take as many as I want you know within the 4, 8mger's, So I gently put just half of an 8mg, which was about 4mg's under my tongue, I was fine for like ten minutes then spit the damn thing out because I had to throw up which I did for the next month, but you might be surprised, although you have a fairly big size tolerance of vic's by the way you are absolutly killing your liver with all that acetaminophen! As if you didn't already know that plus o.k. the nice thing about sub is that you Vico-Dan may not need alot of sub. Me and my pharmacist are close so she tries to give me a good deal on the price but on average everywhere I've gone suboxone's are $5.25 a piece where I live I take three a day so 15.75 a day ish times 30 days plus the doc bill every month to get the script= $100.00 So I'm spending more than my rent!! about 600.00 bucks, But like I said you may not need as many as three-four a day so it could be cheaper I don't know but In my opinion obviously it would be healthier for you, but you can't take any other of the opiode's if you're on sub because sub blocks your opiode receptor's I mean you can take vic's or whatever you want but it would be an absolute waste believe me!! I've tried it! O.k the difference between bupe and sub is that bupe I think is just good ol' bupenorphine sub has burenorphine and naloxone which I think is the blocker, I personally think there is a euphoric feeling when you take sub, some people would argue with that but I think there is and, all in all just not being dope-sick is euphoric, but Dan if you're just looking for a new and different drug to see if you get high and you're not sick and tired of being sick and tired then sub may not be for you, also If you do decide to go and talk to a doctor and get sub they more than likely will ask if you are committed to getting help, me myself have seen three different sub doctors and two out of the three asked me to sign a contract where they can randomly give you a U.A. to see if you're taking other opiode's and other drugs also if you decide to get on sub too you have got to be off all I mean all of the other opiode's you've been taking for at least 3-4 days before they can give it to you because if you're not it could send you in to withdrawel, believe me pal you do not want that! my god it is the worst withdrawel feelings I've ever experienced also, If you don't want to be on sub anymore and you want to take all that other crap that's got you where you are now you would also need to wait about 3-4 to get it all out of system some people get it out of their system quicker some slower just depends. So I hope I was able to help you! Good luck Vico-Dan, By the way good name!! (Dani), aka-Daniroo2

exitwound
01-28-2006, 09:55 PM
shit man, be careful using that much Tramadol in one day! That's 600mg+.....400mg is considered the safe ceiling and 500mg the absolute ceiling if you want to be sure you're not going to risk seizures!

If you notice side effects such as leg twitching, jerking of the limbs, anything that seems like proto-seizure activity, cut back on your dose!

pointed
07-29-2006, 01:02 AM
So, what does an initial visit, including all tests and bloodwork costs, the cost of the meds, and the monthly maintanence costs?

Oh yeah - what's the difference between Bupe and Subox?
And, is there any Euphoric feelings when taking those drugs?[/quote]

I think price differs from place to place and program to program. I have yet to locate a real long term maintenance program where I live, but prices for term length gigs seem to range between 2.5k and 5k (outpatient), not including lab work and meds. The lab work and meds are pretty cheap, provided that you don't have any special health problems to accommodate.

Bupe is a partial agonist that is the "active" ingredient in Sub. Sub is the trade name of the drug that includes bupe and naloxone, an antagonist. As for euphoria - to me it is a good feeling, but I've had very little experience with it, and I'm not strung on anything right this moment. However, I'm starting sub again this coming Monday 'cuz it improves my sunny (sic) disposition. One thing to keep in mind, though. The more sub you take, the more it seems to function as an antagonist. It ain't like dope where slamming one bag is good ergo slamming three is better. Good luck.

paperrabbit
07-29-2006, 08:43 PM
daniroo <enter> is your pal ;)

Vico, first of all, do you have insurance? You say you work so you may - this will help ALOT, but still don't expect sub treatment to be cheap. I have pretty decent insurance and the treatment still runs me quite a bit. I just started my treatment this past week (I am in the detox stage of the 2 stage process, detox and maintenence) - my co-pays for the visit are 20$ for the doctor visits and for the first five days I had to go in every morning. The good thing is I get in and out of there right when the office opens at 8 and he is done with me in about five minutes. At my doc they don't have the bupe on-site so for induction (which I didn't know was taking place that day so didn't wait the 24 hours previous not using) so I go in, he writes me a script for the day, I go fill it at the pharmacy and repeat. This is a bitch because those little pills are expensive, espcially when I am only getting 8 for the day and have to drop 30$ for my script (lame) and when I picked up a script for 18 it was 40$ (what my highest prescription co pay is when there is no generic available).
However, this is only for my first week of the "detox" period - now I will be going in for weekly appointments and slowly decreasing the dose.
Not all doctors do it this way - many will induce on the spot and then script you for a few days or a week and then see you again (cheaper).
I do have to say that bupe it working very well for me, I have some minor side effects (very tired, nausea) while I am trying to play around and find my right dosage and dosage times. I really like being able to go to an actual doctor's office as opposed to a clinic. I have the type of job that being seen at a methadone clinic would not fare well.

Anyway, it DOES work. And suboxone is buprenorphine and naloxone in tablets you take sublingually. Your doctor will decide on the dosage for you and alter accordingly to your response. I started at 16mg but am doing just fine at 12mg. I also took similar amounts of tramadol to you during the day so I would not get sick until I could get the "real" opiates at night....however it also had some nice antidepressant properties I liked, but am going to be scripted some antidepressants to deal with that. And EW is right, in case you didn't already know, those tramadol doses are very dangerous (a big reason I had to get the hell off of all that). Bupe does lessen cravings, though they aren't gone COMPLETELY it's not like how it used to be when I would try to abstain. I don't get high off of sub - it does kill the wds and put me in a better mental state, but I don't get any euphoria (though for some this is reported) - and if that's what you're looking for it might not be the time to be looking into treatment.

You will also find more info on this as you search the site - best of luck in your decision. :)

Sitar
07-30-2006, 01:42 AM
Here's what it cost me:

$200- For first doctor's visit which included the physical, assessment, and induction (actually, they didn't give me any bupe at the appointment, they just gave me a script to fill afterward. I was there for about an hour or so total.

$75- For my first script of Suboxone; 24 count @ 2 mgs. each. This was for me to transition from drug-of-choice to Suboxone, setting my dose wherever I saw fit until my next appointment 3 days later to get my first month's supply script.

$250- For my first month's script of Suboxone, this time it was 42 count @ 8 mgs. each (12 mgs. per day).

After this, I was to return to the doctor's office every 4 weeks (28 days) for a check-up and a new script. Each visit cost me $110. After the first month, I reduced my dose to 8 milligrams per day, so a month's supply cost me about $160. By the way, all of these prices are what I paid WITHOUT insurance. I don't have insurance, so with insurance your cost may be much less. It would certainly be much less for the prescriptions.

So overall, the cost of Buprenorphine treatment is not that bad. It's comparable to Methadone in cost, but without all of the hassles of Methadone programs. Also, it's much easier to stop using Buprenorphine. The cost of my Suboxone treatment, even including the doctor's visit costs, is much less than what I was spending on illicit opiates. I'm happy to be in this treatment; it has really improved the quality of life and has given me the chance to get my life together again and be productive.

Any questions?

paperrabbit
08-01-2006, 08:34 PM
an hour on your first visit? - i'm feeling ripped off at my 5 minute appointments. Eh, i'm sure the doc's trying to make as much money as he can off the junkies

Sitar
08-02-2006, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I seem to recall it was about an hour on the first visit. Of course, every visit after that was only 5 minutes and at $110 a pop.

Computerdoc80
04-14-2010, 02:27 PM
Here in central Indiana, it's 150.00 for 1st visit (cash only, no insurance) where you get scripted for anywhere from 1-3 a day for 2 weeks. (most get 2 1/2 = 20mg a day) I got 2 1/2 a day, but really only need 1 1/2.
You go to their office near you (they have LOTS of them) after the 1st 2 weeks. You pay $40, talk to the Dr. for 5 min, and get a script for the next 2 weeks. I have a friend on medicaid who pays $3 a script!! I have Blue cross, I pay $38 every 2 weeks.
Here in Indiana, They go for $10-$15 each on the street.
If you want the Subutex, tell them you don't have insurance and can't afford the name brand Suboxone. Subutex has no Naloxone in it (opiate blocker) but Suboxone does. and Suboxone is VERY expensive.....

bigNasty
04-14-2010, 04:19 PM
in my area....

visit is $100-300
pills are $7 each at the pharmacy.

I know two sub dr's in my area. One is $300 for first visit, then $150 a month after that. The other is $120 for first visit and $120 a month after that, but after two months he'll start writing you 3 months worth of meds at a time and you only come back when you need more

RxQueen
04-15-2010, 01:28 AM
geez, you guys realize that you're responding to a 4 year old post, don'tchya? let's let this one rest back in its grave.