PDA

View Full Version : Keep Missing My Veins

AlteK
12-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I just recently began shooting after months of contemplation. I just want to try the IV route a bit, but I am having trouble. I don't have anybody experienced to actually do it for me, hence I am left to do it myself. I have seen tons of people do it so I was pretty confident I could do it myself. I ran into a big problem though.. I keep missing my vein I am trying to get in. I am getting the needle through the skin and I am pretty sure I am going deep enough. I just don't know if the vein is rolling off the needle or I am going too deep or what the problem is. I have successfully done it twice now, but it takes countless times piercing my skin and poking around. It is really hard to do it myself too since I am new at it. I try drawing for blood and I get nothing but air most of the time. I am trying on the inside of my elbow (left arm). I know the vein is there and I am feeling it with my finger before I go for it. I get in and am confident I got in and when I draw the plunger back, all I get is air. Does anyone know what my problem might be? Sometimes as soon as I pull out the injection site begins to bleed so I know I am hitting the vein! I just can't seem to keep it steady enough or get it in at the right time to push the load in. Anyone? Tips? Suggestions?

My arm can't take much more poking around. I am taking a bit of a break before I give it another shot. I am getting really frustrated and could use some advice. Bleh.
Thanks.

Jade Warrior
12-03-2007, 10:40 PM
I just recently began shooting after months of contemplation. I just want to try the IV route a bit, but I am having trouble. I don't have anybody experienced to actually do it for me, hence I am left to do it myself. I have seen tons of people do it so I was pretty confident I could do it myself. I ran into a big problem though.. I keep missing my vein I am trying to get in. I am getting the needle through the skin and I am pretty sure I am going deep enough. I just don't know if the vein is rolling off the needle or I am going too deep or what the problem is. I have successfully done it twice now, but it takes countless times piercing my skin and poking around. It is really hard to do it myself too since I am new at it. I try drawing for blood and I get nothing but air most of the time. I am trying on the inside of my elbow (left arm). I know the vein is there and I am feeling it with my finger before I go for it. I get in and am confident I got in and when I draw the plunger back, all I get is air. Does anyone know what my problem might be? Sometimes as soon as I pull out the injection site begins to bleed so I know I am hitting the vein! I just can't seem to keep it steady enough or get it in at the right time to push the load in. Anyone? Tips? Suggestions?

My arm can't take much more poking around. I am taking a bit of a break before I give it another shot. I am getting really frustrated and could use some advice. Bleh.
Thanks.
The veins on the back of your arms are rollers. Why not go for the arm pit? Usually when one first starts out these are the easiest to use for sure.

jackjohnson
12-03-2007, 10:56 PM
first of all before you inject do some exercise, get really warm and keep warm, tap the area your going to inject, put a tourniquet (arm tie) on, rub the area vigorusly, and clench/unclench your first. all of these things will bring your veins to the surface and dilate them, making them much easier to spot and hit.

secondly, make sure your using a new needle.

third, take deep breaths and just calm down. theres nothing to be nervous about, and being nervous will hinder you in 2 ways: your veins tend to shrink (like your penis, :P ) when your nervous. secondly, nervousness leads to shaking/unsteady hands, and those never help an injection.

also, i find this helps for me atleast, its easier to inject with my dominant hand (im a righty) and into my non dominant (left) easier then vice versa.

lastly, if you cant hit your bend of elbow vein (which sucks for me it never sticks out, i always either use the top of my hand or top of my forearm), try a different vein. as i just said, the hand is a really easy place to hit and so is the upper forearm. also, dont try to pull the plunger back when you think your in. instead, what i usually do is, stick the needle in just enough to keep it in, then i pull the plunger back with my teeth (i have a hard time doing it with my hands) and hold it back with your fingers while you fish for a vein. when you see blood spurt in, wait until you see it filling the syringe, if you go before that you could not be in and just have bumped into the vein, which will cuase blood to spurt in real quick but not keep filling the barrel.

also, last but not least, if you start to inject when your (think) needles in the vein, if you start to feel any pain or burning or start seeing a lump, stop imediately and pull out then stick back in. the pain/burning and the lump means your missing the vein and wasting your shot. hope this helps.

SurfRat
12-03-2007, 11:24 PM
It takes practice to get good at it.

And it might not be something you want to get good at.

Can you tell us what substance?

mollywopped
12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
Make sure you are not going in at too steep an angle. If you are trying to get the vein in your elbow bend, the needle should be pointing towards your bicep and the barrel should be almost flat against your forearm, not flat, but close. Maybe an inch off of it, if that makes sense. This link is to some random pic I found. See the angle the rig is at. That is what I was trying to describe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggis/38493129/

Also make sure you are not pushing the whole needle when you try to push down the plunger.

I'm-Nod-Addicted
12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
You should feel a slight "pop" when you hit it it....and then stop right there and draw back.

You could be going too far (right through the vein).

Jade Warrior
12-04-2007, 07:53 PM
Make sure you are not going in at too steep an angle. If you are trying to get the vein in your elbow bend, the needle should be pointing towards your bicep and the barrel should be almost flat against your forearm, not flat, but close. Maybe an inch off of it, if that makes sense. This link is to some random pic I found. See the angle the rig is at. That is what I was trying to describe.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/baggis/38493129/

Also make sure you are not pushing the whole needle when you try to push down the plunger.
What the hell are those guys in the photo's doing anyway? Hydrating themselves to treat a hangover?!?

I'm-Nod-Addicted
12-04-2007, 08:25 PM
heh- Pussies!

toighttoiger
12-04-2007, 08:28 PM
i don't mean to hijack your thread, but does anyone else have a terrible time registering with 'short tip' needles? (~7mm instead of ~12) i bought some of these assuming they were going to be regular size until after i bought them. i can't fucking use them well at all for some reason. maybe i'm overcompensating and shooting at too much of an angle, but i can barely get a goddamn register. i can shoot with my eyes closed basically with regular size tips, but these little fuckers are throwing me off.

I'm-Nod-Addicted
12-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Yes, shorter needles are more difficult to use....much more difficult. I always use 1/2 inch long.

Chicago
12-04-2007, 10:26 PM
Sometimes when u put it in spin the dart around "twist it" sometime the hole in the dart when is in twist it around then out of no where u draw blood b/c that hole in the tip of the dart will draw blood, something like that hard to explain.

jonny-5
12-04-2007, 10:31 PM
ya that vein tends to roll with most people. theres a vein more towards the center that goes at an angle that tends to be easier to hit. when i do it i barely pierce the skin, then i pull back on the plunger just a little and get a small vacuum bubble, then i go for the vein. since theres a vacuum in the syringe as soon as you hit any vein it will pull blood in.

AlteK
12-04-2007, 11:17 PM
ya that vein tends to roll with most people. theres a vein more towards the center that goes at an angle that tends to be easier to hit. when i do it i barely pierce the skin, then i pull back on the plunger just a little and get a small vacuum bubble, then i go for the vein. since theres a vacuum in the syringe as soon as you hit any vein it will pull blood in.

The vein I am usually trying to hit is in the center. It is probably the easiest vein to spot on my arm, but I heard it rolls a lot? I'm not sure which vein experienced users go for but I basically picked the easiest looking one on the center inside elbow. Next time I try I will use this method with the vaccum bubble. How far do you guys usually insert the needle before attempting to draw blood or get a successful shot. I am using standard 29g insulin needles and sometimes I am going all the way to the end of the needle with the tank hitting my arm. Am I trying for too deep? Should I be going 1/2 the length of the needle? 3/4? I feel as if I am not deep enough most of the time, but maybe I am too deep? Sometimes I do feel that pop, and I am like YES, I found it, but I draw air.. then I end up going deeper or start fishing around with it, pulling air constantly until I pull too much and end up getting it out. I try this over and over and I have only got it twice. I want to be able to get it at least on my 2nd or 3rd try, but sitting there and poking myself 15+ times for nothing is really frustrating. Last time I even used a tourniquet.. the vein was clearly there and I got right in but drew air I don't know what I am doing wrong! How far do I need to go and at what kind of an angle? I try all sorts of angles and depths and I get nothing. I am inconsistent and it's demoralizing. I thought it would be easier than this. Bleh.

jackjohnson
12-04-2007, 11:23 PM
The vein I am usually trying to hit is in the center. It is probably the easiest vein to spot on my arm, but I heard it rolls a lot? I'm not sure which vein experienced users go for but I basically picked the easiest looking one on the center inside elbow. Next time I try I will use this method with the vaccum bubble. How far do you guys usually insert the needle before attempting to draw blood or get a successful shot. I am using standard 29g insulin needles and sometimes I am going all the way to the end of the needle with the tank hitting my arm. Am I trying for too deep? Should I be going 1/2 the length of the needle? 3/4? I feel as if I am not deep enough most of the time, but maybe I am too deep? Sometimes I do feel that pop, and I am like YES, I found it, but I draw air.. then I end up going deeper or start fishing around with it, pulling air constantly until I pull too much and end up getting it out. I try this over and over and I have only got it twice. I want to be able to get it at least on my 2nd or 3rd try, but sitting there and poking myself 15+ times for nothing is really frustrating. Last time I even used a tourniquet.. the vein was clearly there and I got right in but drew air I don't know what I am doing wrong! How far do I need to go and at what kind of an angle? I try all sorts of angles and depths and I get nothing. I am inconsistent and it's demoralizing. I thought it would be easier than this. Bleh.

go as far as you have to, if you gotta put the whole needle in do it. like i said and someone else already said as soon as the needles in pull back on the plunger to create a vacuum so as soon as you hit a vein you know it. the angle - about 45 degrees. if you dont know what 45 degrees is, its halfway between flat against your skin and straight up.

jonny-5
12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
ya i put the whole needle in all the time, thats the point of the vacuum bubble i was talking about, you just stop when the blood rushes in. um only other thing i can think of is to fully extend your arm as far as you can, you know to try and "stretch" the vein out, the more tension it has the less likely it will be to roll.

jackjohnson
12-04-2007, 11:54 PM
PS: heres the angle i was talking about:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/images/ency/fullsize/9481.jpg