PDA

View Full Version : NEEDLE MARK (a.k.a. "TRACKS") HOME REMEDIES

Zoops
12-27-2005, 06:37 PM
What, if any, methods do you all use to make those unsightly track marks go away faster?

In the past, I have tried:

1. Ice cubes applied to the injection site. Doesn't really work.
2. "Oxy-10" acne cream. It has 10% benzoyl peroxide in it. I applied this to the track marks a few times a day in the hopes that the peroxide would bleach away the little bruise. Didn't work.

Recently I have discovered that applying "Absorbine Jr." liniment to the track marks a few times a day really does work at making them go away faster! Absorbine Jr. has a whole bunch of plant extracts in it, and it is acetone-based. It also has a bunch of menthol in it, which is why it makes sore feet and muscles feel good. One of the plant extracts it has in it is absinthium oil (wormwood extract) - the same stuff that's in absinthe - how about that. Don't try drinking it though.

Also, I have discovered that allowing the injection site to bleed out for a few seconds, lightly covering with a piece of tissue paper, rather than pressing down on the injection site immediately, makes for a much much less conspicuous mark.

So, what has anyone else tried?

devilsdrug
12-27-2005, 06:52 PM
this probablly isnt the kind of answer you were looking for,womens makeup coverup,but neosporin works the best , but in the meantime a little dab of coverup does wonders

exitwound
12-28-2005, 03:36 PM
another option might be regular intake of the fruit enzyme Bromelain....it's available in just about any "health food store" and when taken on an empty stomach, helps break down scar tissues anywhere in the body.

candy
12-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Some great home rememdies. Neosporin is good too. I have used Arnica Gel or Cream for bruising and it works great too. Available in any health food store or vitamin shop. Comes in a tablet as well. Alternating sites is helpful. While it won't completely stop track marks, alternating your sites will help. Vitamin E is great and cocoa butter has been known to help as well. They also sell some creams that are supposed to fade age spots and brown marks that work pretty well.

Do not use Preperation H. Years back, someone told me to use this and while it can decrease inflammation, for some reason, it made my bruising worse. So, I really avoid it altogether.

For chronic users, those dark marks are really unsightly and if your going to start using something to help, I would advise applying it daily. Maybe after each injection.

Zoops
12-30-2005, 06:26 AM
Thanks, folks.

Any other dirty, filthy, cruddy, nasty, ol' dope fiends have any ideas?

poppy
12-30-2005, 10:18 AM
Thanks, folks.

Any other dirty, filthy, cruddy, nasty, ol' dope fiends have any ideas?
Hi Zoop, sorry but I've never found a successful way to hide tracks other than to wear wait for it......... a long sleeved top (not very helpful am I!!) Also in defence of good old 'prep H', I've never tried the prep H remedy on tracks but it does work really well on new tattoos!!!! and also on the piles it was designed for (a side effect of the nasty constipation us opiate users are prone to....)
Also I couldn't have used and abused as much as I have and seen what I have without saying that the chances are things are going to get worse rather than better, you may be looking forward to a future of abscesses and worse, particularly if you are banging pills!, I know a guy with 1/2 his foot missing from injecting & I doubt my arms will ever recover to such an extent that I would go out in a short sleeved top!! Anyway I don't mean to sound like a goody two shoes, I'm not, I'm still banging more or less daily, so I'm in no position to preach, I just wanted to share my experience; I should also point out that my partner who's been injecting for over 20 years (more or less daily apart from times in prison) has had a totally different experience regarding veins and tracks to me, and he still has wicked veins,(lucky bastard), works on a building site in short sleeves and no body's any the wiser. Anyway Good Luck. Laters Poppyx

Zoops
12-31-2005, 12:08 AM
It seems that a sharp set of works is KEY. I banged some ambiens last night (yes, that's my new habit because I am on buprenorphine, so I can't bang any narcotics)

they only track mark I have are two red dots. No bruising at all, which is cool The bruises take way longer to go away than the red dot from the needle sticking through the skin. I am using Absorbine Jr.on the marks.

Hope the bupe doc I see on Tuesday, 3 January doesn't insist on examining my arms for track marks (he hasn't so far). I'll tell him I donated blood. We have a red cross place for doing just that right behind the building where I work.

GMorris
12-31-2005, 01:32 PM
I don't do it very often anymore, but a brand new really sharp needle is one of the best ways to avoid the marks, not to mention that it is less painful and MUCH better for the veins. Back in the days when I banged daily, I TRIED to have a new needle every time, but whether I had one or not I used Vitamin E from the little gelcaps. I'd just bite a little hole in one end of the E cap and apply it liberally to the injection site. I would repeat this several times per day and it really DID help. It seems to speed up the healing time for some reason, and it will soften the skin some as well. Not only that, but it doesn't hurt to just take one of them once in a while either!

poppy
12-31-2005, 04:58 PM
It seems that a sharp set of works is KEY Zoop you're damn right that a 'NEW' therefore 'SHARP' set of works is needed every time you have a dig if you are intending to live to tell the tale.....(particularly the new bit) I still find it really hard to understand why things are so different 'harm reduction' wise in the US compared to the UK. Usually the US seem way ahead of us in terms of medicine/technology etc Just be careful, its all too easy to get infections not just the more scary aids/hep c things but abscesses,cellulosis etc which may not kill you but are upleasant none the less. Laters Poppyx Just read this back to myself don't mean to preach just want you to be careful while you enjoy yourself.

Zoops
12-31-2005, 07:06 PM
Yeah, you're right, poppy. Some places in the USA make it tough to get new works, but where I live it's no trouble at all. Just buy 'em at the pharmacy. They are for insulin. :D

poppy
12-31-2005, 09:21 PM
So u have to pay for them? and I assume they're the standard insulin syringes, ie. all in one with an orange lid......

GMorris
01-01-2006, 08:18 AM
Yep, all in one with the orange cap, and they definitely aren't free here in the states. I used to use those, and they arent' the greatest syringes to use either. I can even remember buying them (brand new) at the dealer's house for $2 apiece. Now I have several of the BD 3ml jobs with the attachable/detachable needles and they are great. Those ol' insulin syringes are just harder to work with, though they get the job done when needed!

Zoops
01-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah, we have to pay for them, but they don't cost much. $2.00US for a pack of 10 (insulin 1m orange cap kind).

But, you can get those detacheable needle 3ml jobs for $0.50 a piece. Those are the BEST! Especially for breaking down pills!

poppy
01-01-2006, 10:20 AM
Yep the attachable/detachable needle detail is a triumph in design for making the IV junkie's life a little easier!!! Still can't believe u have to pay for works even if its not very much!!!! its just totally mad. I'm not familiar with the 3ml 'model' here we just have 1,s,2,s and 5,s, and long may it continue.
Do you get the same 'knowing but not approving' looks when you 'buy' your works as I used to at my local pharmacy? (our chemist no longer provides the needle exchange service it used to, something to do with money!! surprize, surprize!)
This is one of my big moans because us junkies in my area are now totally reliant on getting new works from CDT(Community Drug Team) which is the place where our scripts are prescribed from. Not only are its opening hours totally erratic but 1st and 4most if u r being prescribed meth of the uninjectable kind and r supposed to be on the waggon so to speak, then u have no business getting new pins, and yes they still give them to you but its the old never let your left hand know what the right hand is doing scenario!! (if u still fetch pins then u are obviously still using)
Take Care.

Zoops
01-02-2006, 05:25 PM
Knowing but not approving. Yes I know what you mean. We have to have a line made up about needing to get syringes for grandma's diabetes, or, in the case of the detacheable jobs, a geriatric cat that needs to get vitamin shots.

The pharmacist kindly asked a few questions about my cat, how old it was and what kind of vitamins I was giving it. I obliged with a few made-up details.