PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Mylan Patches

reddragon3668
10-25-2007, 09:41 AM
I've UTFSE and can't seem to find an answer. If you cut a mylan patch in half, which is designed to release 50mcg an hour, its still going to release that amount, just not last as long? I did it thinking otherwise, but I am sure I was wrong. Its not like cutting a pill in half.... can someone who knows confirm this?

OxyContinuously
10-25-2007, 09:47 AM
nah, if u cut the patch in half, and break the "seal" or matrix or whatever tehy call it, all the Fent'll come out at once. In your case, since it's a 50mcg/hr/72hr deal, that means the whole patch has 5 milligrams of Fentanyl (5000 micrograms) and half will be 2.5 milligrams of Fent (or 2500 micorgrams)...

that's a big dose, comparitively...I assume u meant cut the patch in half then eat it or whatever? Even if u put it on, in half, it'll still release the 50mikes an hour, just that it will be done in 36 hours instead of 72...it won't release 25mcg/hr just cuz u cut it in half though. be careful cuz once the patch is "broken," u could put it on and have a lot of the Fent come out all at once, transdermally and that could be a problem...once they are cut or tampered with, the delivery system is most often compromised. so take necessary precautions

hope that helps

later

reddragon3668
10-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks for the information! Its rainy here today, and I was feeling it. So, I cut the mylan patch (put on skin) and my thinking was screwed. I would have been better off just slapping the whole thing on.

Oh well, I am feeling much better, and will take precautions as you suggested.

nah, if u cut the patch in half, and break the "seal" or matrix or whatever tehy call it, all the Fent'll come out at once. In your case, since it's a 50mcg/hr/72hr deal, that means the whole patch has 5 milligrams of Fentanyl (5000 micrograms) and half will be 2.5 milligrams of Fent (or 2500 micorgrams)...

that's a big dose, comparitively...I assume u meant cut the patch in half then eat it or whatever? Even if u put it on, in half, it'll still release the 50mikes an hour, just that it will be done in 36 hours instead of 72...it won't release 25mcg/hr just cuz u cut it in half though. be careful cuz once the patch is "broken," u could put it on and have a lot of the Fent come out all at once, transdermally and that could be a problem...once they are cut or tampered with, the delivery system is most often compromised. so take necessary precautions

hope that helps

later

reddragon3668
10-25-2007, 11:10 AM
I just found this: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&ct=res&cd=4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fda.gov%2FOHRMS%2FDOCKETS%2Fd ockets%2F04p0506%2F04p-0506-c000001-06-Tab-04-Flynn-vol1.pdf&ei=wL0gR9m8JIbWerTMpaUC&usg=AFQjCNEUyjNhF1roNYnnkiDI1CSJh44i-Q&sig2=XAr_tyP9oh29Sf7lsNCSKQ

This was written in 2004 by a pharmacalogical professor who posits that you do not break the time release matrix on a mylan patch by cutting it... or, even by placing it under the tongue. It was sworn testimony, I think in a patent issue. Interesting read...

devilsdrug
10-25-2007, 05:26 PM
correct mylan are not gel so that one character is another case of a non knowloable person talkin like he knows people do not believe what some say on here for they know not what they talk about , i really feel like cuttin loose but i wont

nick
10-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Go on cut loose man.

dopesick
10-28-2007, 02:23 AM
I realize this is a little late coming, but you need to be careful what you read. Cutting a Mylan patch in half will only dispense the Fentanyl at Half the rate of the full patch. For example a 50mcg patch cut in half will release 25mcg/hr. NOT the full 50. That is why the patches are different sizes, because it is the area of the patch that determines the amount. Cutting the gel patches are a different story, of course, because the fentanyl gel will just leak out if cut.