PDA

View Full Version : What can you do to help a xanax WD?

tptptp
10-09-2007, 01:46 PM
What can someone do to help someone in xanax WD? any remedies or shit to help? I don't know much about the stuff but someone is asking me about this...I know many of you know your shit.

tptptp
10-09-2007, 03:57 PM
c'mon I know you guys know something, this guy doesn't know how to help his wife and this isnt my area of expertise. even the BASICS are unknown for us. Little help, please.

wafflehead77
10-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Sort of seeing a doctor, I would say trying to find CNS dep. like phenobarbital, Topamax, maybe clonidine.
Dont quote me on this, but would booze maybe help? I know benzo's and alcohol have similar mech. of action, so maybe a little wine or beer could help recuce the anxiety and risk of seizure. Im not sure about that though, but maybe someone else will know.
Be careful though. Im sure you are aware of the high risks associated w/ benzo cessation.

This may be a stupid question, but do you have any hookups for diazepam or clonazepam? This would alleviate the w/d, but I am assuming if you could get these, you wouldnt be posting this ? right now.

tptptp
10-09-2007, 06:01 PM
Thanks, any more info anyone else have input its appreciated. The story is a 1mg habit of xanax for 4 years. I know, not much compared to most here but regardless we all know any WD is a bitch, and this I believe is this perons first. They cut to a half mg, a 50% drop, after trying a cold turkey...too much of a drop right????

Clonidine was a good idea, I forgot about that one. They aren't hooked on opiates or id recommend kratom but if they hit a speedy dose or it doesnt sit well with them as it doesnt with many that would make it worse. So thats a no go.

Whats a tried and true good taper schedule and where does it start to get real hard?

any more advice on anything else that would help someone out would be good.

This persons doctor doesnt want them ff the xanax and made me think maybe thats why they cut it 50% maybe not enough to cause serious health problems but make them wish they were dead...sop they get back on.

pharmboy
10-09-2007, 09:30 PM
WH77 pretty much nailed it I think. Phenobarb would do great but

would need a script. Booze does work on the same receptors.

So I would try some booze but don't overdo it.

Or she could go back on the xanax and taper.
There was a good thread about a taper sched. awhile back.
Basicaly it's 3 days on, drop 33%, on down to zero.

Dr. Oxy
10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
wait what, her doctor wants her on 1mg of xanax, hes forcing her to stay on, by making her uncomfortable, and she wants off....whats this world coming too :p

seriously though, tell her to keep filling them and buy them off her. lol, this is the first time i've given junky advice, its kind of fun.

Ragdoll
10-10-2007, 03:48 AM
Ohhh, a tough one. Wish I had some *great* answer. Pot might help some; believe it or not, Advil (ibuprophen) can at least take the edge off of various pain/soreness issues. Simply Sleep by itself or Tylenol in it can help with sleep probs. Benzo w/d is sick shit.

OxyContinuously
10-10-2007, 10:36 AM
Tp

any OTC sleep aid that has GABA or associated in it...better yet, GHB, GVL,et al if u can find them anywhere...i know gamma amino butyric acid is legal in sleep preparations, also valerian root and St. JOhn's Wort are excellent..

pm me if u wanna

wafflehead77
10-10-2007, 12:08 PM
Tp

any OTC sleep aid that has GABA or associated in it...better yet, GHB, GVL,et al if u can find them anywhere...i know gamma amino butyric acid is legal in sleep preparations, also valerian root and St. JOhn's Wort are excellent..

pm me if u wanna

Good Call

Inspektahdek
10-10-2007, 04:46 PM
5htp-------

mikells43
10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
I warn people about the hell withdrawl from benzos. they fucking suck. im sure you have searched all throu the interweb for your solution. but the only solution to your prob is to 1. wait it out and be miserable, paranoid, and just generally feeling like mental shit for 5-8 days or 2. to take anouther benzo. you can take phenobarb to prevent sezures cause u can have sezures and sometimes fatal sezures form benzo detox, benzzos and booze are the only 2 detoxes that are proven that u can die from if not handled the right way or going off of a high dose or what not. the sezures can come soon or late in the detox, i have known people to be on day 6 of the detox and have one, fall break their back and then go for help. librum is great to come off of benzos with, its a benzo itself but can and is used to come off benzos. thats about all i can say about this. and remember how shitty u feel before you take a benzo again. play the tape thru. best wishes.

tptptp
10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Thanks for all the help folks. This really isn't my withdrawal I dont take benzos. Just trying to help someone else out so the info helped. I don't know much about them other then withdrawal sucks.

EleusisII
10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Nobody should go cold turkey through benzo-withdrawals. They can be dangerous, and last for months depending on your habit. Tell your friends wife to quit being an arse, and get back on the benzo-wagon.
If she wants to quit, she needs to get on a long-acting benzo like valium or klonopin, and taper slowly. Depending on her habit, and 1mg for a year isn't that much, it could take weeks or months.
Some of the poor souls that take 10 or 20 mg xanax a day, might never get off, or it'll take years for them, so all in all, your friends wife is pretty lucky.

tptptp
10-11-2007, 07:14 PM
Nobody should go cold turkey through benzo-withdrawals. They can be dangerous, and last for months depending on your habit. Tell your friends wife to quit being an arse, and get back on the benzo-wagon.
If she wants to quit, she needs to get on a long-acting benzo like valium or klonopin, and taper slowly. Depending on her habit, and 1mg for a year isn't that much, it could take weeks or months.
Some of the poor souls that take 10 or 20 mg xanax a day, might never get off, or it'll take years for them, so all in all, your friends wife is pretty lucky.

Actually it was 1mg for FOUR years, I know not much of a habit compared to others but its all relative...I've given him all the info from the posts here and he said shes doing better down to 1/4 mg most days but we all know the jump is the hardest. I've done my share tryin to help though.

They really didnt have a clue about this at all or that there would be a bad WD. Doc's never warned 'em and I guess like most who dont have lots of doc experience they didnt think twice since the doc never mentioned anything.

EleusisII
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
It's all relative I guess. My dad has been on bromazepam for 30 years, and isn't addicted. He'll take it two-three times a week when he can't fall asleep, but is fine without it the rest of the week.
Needless to say, he didn't pass off his non-addictive genes to me ;)

cracksinthepavement
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
If you can't get any other sedatives as mentioned above (atarax is an easy one to find in people's cabinets, phenobarbital, fiorcet even), try to find a sedating opiate (h,morphine,even hydro). In case no illicits can be obtained, try the following:

1. Heavy doses of benadryl.. We're talking many times the recommended dose
2. Kava extra.. This has helped me in times of ALMOST running out and needing to supplement. works surprisingly well. Get from speciosa or equivelant, make sure its kava root not leaf or you'll have liver trouble to worry about.
3. Bedrest - there will be hot and cold flashes, try taking several baths
4. No caffeine!
5. Low sugar. Do not eat fast food, candy, or sugary stuff.. The sugar will make your system tweak when its in any sedative withdrawal.
6. Research herbal sedatives. Kratom works well for some in high doses, though it is speedy for others.. I think it is all dose dependent (low dose = stimulation, high dose = sedation)
7. Combine the above till you feel human again.
8. Try to find some sedatives! This should be #1..

Good luck to whoever has to go through that hell

EleusisII
10-11-2007, 11:27 PM
Meh, all that herbal stuff might be good for the psychologial WDs, but I'd be more concerned about the risk of seizures. That's why you need to keep taking them, and tapering, when you want to quit.

Doctors take this really seriously. I once scored an (for an ER) unholy amount of valium, by telling them that my two week benzo supply got stolen :p

RxQueen
10-13-2007, 07:58 AM
tp,
she really would have an easier time if she were taking a longer lasting benzo (like valium) for her taper. xanax's short half-life leaves a person on that roller-coaster of ups & downs, which makes the mental/psych symptoms of the WD harder to deal with. if anyone can score a benzo with a long half-life, she'll gain some better stability (especially with the mood swings that benzo WD carries). and switching to it from the xanax is easy enough with a dosage converter.

but if she really has to continue tapering with the xanax, advise her to drop the dosage as slowly as she's comfortable with. the taper from opiates (the 1/3 decrease every 4th day) isn't the same as a benzo taper. she needs to decrease slower than if she were on opiates, and stay at each dosage long enough to feel comfortable and ready for the next drop. it took me 8-9months of gradual dose reductions just to get finished with the end of a valium taper... and this was AFTER i had gotten down to only being dependant on 10mg a day! hell, i think i spent at least 2-3 months just hovering at a daily dose of around 2.5mg before i could drop down lower.

also, tell her to break those pills into the smallest increments she can, so she can do the smallest drops in her dose possible. she may benefit from taking several smaller doses through the day rather than a once a day dose, since she's taking xanax (again, because of the short half-life). best of luck to her... benzo WD's are HELL. i hope you find something useful for her in this post. and most of all, remember to tell her not to try rushing it.... slow is good for a benzo taper!

Moonrock
10-13-2007, 10:37 AM
You can use Paroxetine on the side as you decrease your daily xanax dosage to reduce the wd effects till you get off it comepletely.
But then you'll have to get off the Paroxetine itself.

Hiram
11-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Benzo WD's can be very serious, even life threatening is certain cases. Everything that you ever wanted to know in depth about Benzo Addiction, Withdrawal and Recovery and even a dosage comparison/half-life chart can be found on this website.
http://www.benzo.org.uk/

OxyContinuously
11-02-2007, 08:23 AM
tp,
she really would have an easier time if she were taking a longer lasting benzo (like valium) for her taper. xanax's short half-life leaves a person on that roller-coaster of ups & downs, which makes the mental/psych symptoms of the WD harder to deal with. if anyone can score a benzo with a long half-life, she'll gain some better stability (especially with the mood swings that benzo WD carries). and switching to it from the xanax is easy enough with a dosage converter.

but if she really has to continue tapering with the xanax, advise her to drop the dosage as slowly as she's comfortable with. the taper from opiates (the 1/3 decrease every 4th day) isn't the same as a benzo taper. she needs to decrease slower than if she were on opiates, and stay at each dosage long enough to feel comfortable and ready for the next drop. it took me 8-9months of gradual dose reductions just to get finished with the end of a valium taper... and this was AFTER i had gotten down to only being dependant on 10mg a day! hell, i think i spent at least 2-3 months just hovering at a daily dose of around 2.5mg before i could drop down lower.

also, tell her to break those pills into the smallest increments she can, so she can do the smallest drops in her dose possible. she may benefit from taking several smaller doses through the day rather than a once a day dose, since she's taking xanax (again, because of the short half-life). best of luck to her... benzo WD's are HELL. i hope you find something useful for her in this post. and most of all, remember to tell her not to try rushing it.... slow is good for a benzo taper!

i know the thread is a bit old, but good call, RxQ!!!

born2lose
11-20-2007, 05:39 PM
first of all things would be easier for her if she was on a longer acting benzo like valium or librium
2nd, she's gonna suffer, benzo w.d;s suck, even when you're on a decent taper
3rd all the herbal stuff never helped me but ive been recomended valerian,kava kava, kratom
probnly all siad before but hope it helps

mikells43
11-20-2007, 11:51 PM
wonder if a longer acting benzo is tougher to get off of like a longer acting opiate like methadone is tougher to get off of :-/. my grandpa was on temaz 30mg for 30 years faithfully. he took it to sleep, never was physcally addicted or dependent physcally. i started getting them off of him, and he eventually stopped taking them. now he sleeps fine.... theres a video on youtube about a guy getting off of benzos. heres the link http://youtube.com/watch?v=uDbPnAQ-c1o

roxi*stardust
11-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Taper would be the best way to w/d from benzos. The w/d can be deadly. I would not try a home remedy detox from benzos, I have seen a few people I know seize out and shit from this. And some of their habits were much less than 4 years.

mikells43
11-25-2007, 12:23 AM
yea it is horrible to see someone seize form eather alcohol or benzo detox. the only 2 that if not attended to by a doc and medicated u can die from. im not saying u cant die from other detoxes but htose are the most prominate. and i still wonder if a long acting benzo would be harder to come off of like a long acting opiate, plus a taper never worked for me id eat them all beforehand

BigLou
11-25-2007, 12:41 AM
that is really scary i have been prescribed to xanax 0.5 mg 3 times a day for about 4 years. i hope i never have to taper off them.. man..