PDA

View Full Version : Tramadol-> what can I expect?

OhJoy
09-12-2007, 04:44 PM
Hello,
I'm interested in learning more about this med. Would it be sufficent to switch to for a few days and not be in w/d? How do you feel when you take tramadol? Tired but happy....or speedy.... or calm .....or energized? Or depends on the dose?

Also about the dose.... Is 50mg pointless or a good start?

I don't have a huge habit of hydrocodone, mostly because of availability. But my tolerance it going up and I need to give it a break. I can barely feel good for three hours. :(

The problem is I'm far too depressed to function without anything so I'm hoping tramadol can to the trick for me. Maybe swich off every two weeks or so? Anyone with any comments please share:)

I'm not so much looking for a high, but looking to be normal (and not suicidal ) during a 'break'.

Thanks for all your help and advice.

slugbone
09-12-2007, 04:53 PM
i've been taking tramadol daily for over 2 years now. usually 250-400 mg per day. it works to stave of w/d esp with pods or percocets. it does not make me groggy, it has a slight speedy effect and works for me as a mood enhancer. better than any depression type drug i've ever taken anyway.

even after this long i still am able to reduce dosage to 150 per day without too much effort. it is long lasting for me, 100 mg will take me through the day 6 hours or so.

i like tramadol, avoid higher doses of course due to potential siezures, although i have never had one myself. it is an effective painkiller mixed with tylenol as well, but i take it for the mood lift and to reduce my pod intake,.

*edit* i've not noticed any significant side effects except sometimes i can't sleep if i take too much, because it has the speedy effect. not anywehre close to an upper but it definitely does enhance my moods possibly lke a seratonin type deal

Moonrock
09-12-2007, 04:59 PM
i guess if ur DOC is herion or codein, then u'll like Trams,
it does come with some nice nodding too
but u'ld have to watch ur dose, dont consume more than 250mg over a 24hr period
i mainly use it to help reduce wd symptons
but u can still get high on it
happy nodding in advance
and 50mg wont do shit, pop a 150 then follow it with another 100 after 5 or six hrs

tptptp
09-12-2007, 05:07 PM
The bad thing about tramadol is quite a few people have gotten seizures. The good thing is you can buy them fairly cheaply overseas online. My friend threw about 100 50 mg tabs away recently when he moved and kinda wishes he had them now. They help ease W/D somewhat and help elevate mood a little but in a weird incomplete feeling kinda way....50mg might give an opiate naive person a tiny buzz......at least 100 most likely more, for someone with little to no tolerance to buzz. 400 is the "max daily dose" so if you start going over that you're really pushing the risk for seizure. They're definitely nice to have and easy to pop but I'd rather have kratom.

By the way some people hate tramadol and some people love them. Some claim they don't work at all (but usually these are people with high tolerances) and sometimes even people with high tolerances cna feel them.

The drug is chemically similar to effexor.

If you get the american red tabs they have apap in them to the extent that if you have any decent tolerance you're gonna be probably in the "safe" but unhealthy zone for taking them. I dunno if you can CWE these or what.

That being said tramadol is a fairly weak, but different drug. It's an energetic buzz for many people but in high amounts probably not so much so. It doesn't really feel quite like a true opiate once you have any decent tolerance.

slugbone
09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
and 50mg wont do shit, pop a 150 then follow it with another 100 after 5 or six hrs

i don't know moon, i hesitate to tell someone to do 150 mg without knowing how the person will react, no matter how opiate tolerant they are - you just never know.

of course you may be right about the 150 but my harm reduction concience tells me anyone should start slow and build up like 50mg, then another 50 in an hour based on how he or she feels

OhJoy
09-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Duely noted Slug about the dose. I'm going to have the Ultram. (I'm sorry it's tramadol the generic, not Ultram)

I'll definetely start low. I'm also on Lexapro which I understand is similar to effexor too. So there is something for me to consider. As usual you all have great experience and have provided much food for thought. You guys Rock! What would become of me without you?

I did a search for tramadol looking for experience, but maybe I need to look up 'trammies'?

I'm much looking forward to getting my rx and I will let you know how it works out.
Peace.

tptptp
09-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Duely noted Slug about the dose. I'm going to have the Ultram. (I'm sorry it's tramadol the generic, not Ultram)

I'll definetely start low. I'm also on Lexapro which I understand is similar to effexor too. So there is something for me to consider. As usual you all have great experience and have provided much food for thought. You guys Rock! What would become of me without you?

I did a search for tramadol looking for experience, but maybe I need to look up 'trammies'?

I'm much looking forward to getting my rx and I will let you know how it works out.
Peace.

Ultram....I'm pretty sur ethe only ultram's I've seen have APAP(acetinmonphen)(sp?) in them so good thing to keep in mind. if they are red pills they are.

insaneike
09-12-2007, 09:26 PM
The Ultram name brand have APAP, but its only like 2-400mg, so no need to worry unless you're going over 4000mg, or 2325mg daily. The oblong tbas that read ULTRAM on them. The name brand ULTRAM imprinted ones with APAP were white(US).
but when I was 15 and couldn't get nothing but Lortab and Ultram I clearly remember every script for tramodol was for Ultram and they never had APAP. I think theres just a type fo Ultram that has APAP, because none of mine did, I had to lil bitty ones and the round white ones, both were generics for Ultram. So who knows, but they don't contain enough APAP to be harmful so don't worry about that, unless there some form of Tram I'm not aware of that contain large amounts of lol.

and I'd say start with at least 100mg... I personally never felt nothing from Ultram/Tramodol. Back when I was opoid naive and could get decent effects from just 25mg of Lortab Trams never did a thing for me. When I was 16-17 and all I could get for my leg was Lortab/Trams they wouldn't even ease WD for me.
but remember everyone reacts differently to different chemicals!!! and always start small, as you can always take more, but you can't undo what you done took!

Some say they get kind of partial opioid and some energy and mood lift from ultram and some can't feel a thing. So don't be all mad if you hit 3-450mg and don't get any WD relief. It could ease WD, give a buzz, or not do shit. It could go either way with ultram. It all depends on the person with Ultrams.

Trams alone are pretty useless for the avg person, IMO, but maybe try combining with your hydroco as a potentator. Like if you normally take about 50mg of hydroco take 100mg Ultram and 40mg hydroco. It could help stretch further. I don't know your toler so it's hard to say, but just play around with a tab here and there and thats the only real way to do it. Because what works for someone might not for someone else. So just play around with them taking a tab here and there, one tab at a time that is, giving ti 45min to take effect, until you find 'that' dose or find out they don't affect you.

Good luck man and be safe man! Be safe because you have read a lot of people feel 'something' from Ultram/Tramodol, and when you take the dose they did and don't feel nothing you might keep going higher, and in not even that high of doses Tramodol can cause seizures. Almost everyone I know who tried Ultram had a seizure, so be safe and just play around with a tab here and there.

Sorry I'm just rambling now, script day was yesterday... 'nuff said:cool:

OhJoy
09-13-2007, 03:58 PM
Like if you normally take about 50mg of hydroco take 100mg Ultram and 40mg hydroco. It could help stretch further. I don't know your toler so it's hard to say, but just play around with a tab here and there and thats the only real way to do it. Because what works for someone might not for someone else. So just play around with them taking a tab here and there, one tab at a time that is, giving ti 45min to take effect, until you find 'that' dose or find out they don't affect you.

Good idea Ike- Thanks

What does a seizure feel like? Would I know it's happening? I've heard that one could have a siezure and not know it and have a lapse in memory. Is that true?

btw I'm a girl :p
I'm blonde and curvy too. :D

GoddessofRATs
09-13-2007, 04:14 PM
Actually Ultram has no APAP, it's Ultracet that has the APAP. Just FYI

GOR

slugbone
09-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Good idea Ike- Thanks

What does a seizure feel like? Would I know it's happening? I've heard that one could have a siezure and not know it and have a lapse in memory. Is that true?

i think ike calls everyone dude. have you tried em yet? i'm cuirious as to if you will like them. i've got a online place that i';ve ordered from for years they are very good one day delivery $99 for 180 50mg

GoddessofRATs
09-13-2007, 04:23 PM
Same here, I've got 2 great places i order from. They may even be the same place as Slug's. But we're not allowed to post lins to pharms here i think.

The 2 places i use, been using for 3 years never had a problem. The only time i ever had a problem with an order it was on Fedex or UPS' part. One time i was in such bad withdrawal and waiting desperately and i checked Fedex's site and it said "Uncontrolled delay" or something like that. So i called FedEx and they told me the plane broke down and they are trying to fix it but i wouldn't get my order till Monday (It was Saturday), i just about cried but i was nice to them on the phone, it wasn't the customer service guys fault so i didn't take it out on him. BUT a few minutes later i remembered i had a 100 count refill at a pharmacy but it was a few days early... i gave it a try anyway... i kept talking to the pharmacist while she was working on my order on the phone to distract her so she wouldn't see how early it was, well it worked... i got the pills LOL. Either that or she just didn't care. THANK GOD, otherwise I would have been in w/d all weekend.

And a few other times i've had problems with late shipments but it was never the pharmacies fault. The two sites i use are always super fast and never give me problems. All you have to do is fill out a medical questionaire and you're good to go.

PM me if you want the site links.

GOR

I-Nod
09-13-2007, 04:32 PM

You going to be in the Opio-calendar? They need some more ladies, I believe.

I'm one of those people who was rx'd Tramadol's and felt almost nothing at all. However, they did take the edge off of WD's for me. Wish I had some input, but just goes to show that for one person tram's are great... to another they almost go un-noticed. Hope they work well for you!!:)

OhJoy
09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
The trammies are on their way. I don't expect to have them until tomorrow. I will post back here and let everyone know how they do.

I'd love to be in the Opio-calendar, but I'm too paronoid to post my picture. For all I know some of you guys could be my neighbors or coworkers. I'm in the closet so to speak. No one knows about how I self medicate and I plan to keep it that way. :)

Slug- I think I paid 85 for 120, so not too bad. I was going to get more, but what if they don't agree with me ya know?

BTW I'm thinking of revisiting my 'Life Totally Sucks' thread. Just found out my mom has cancer.

GoddessofRATs
09-13-2007, 04:49 PM
HELL YEA I'm gonna be in the calender. Below is the picture i submited.

What do ya think? Is it ok for the calender?

GOR

You going to be in the Opio-calendar? They need some more ladies, I believe.

I'm one of those people who was rx'd Tramadol's and felt almost nothing at all. However, they did take the edge off of WD's for me. Wish I had some input, but just goes to show that for one person tram's are great... to another they almost go un-noticed. Hope they work well for you!!:)

slugbone
09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
The trammies are on their way. I don't expect to have them until tomorrow. I will post back here and let everyone know how they do.

I'd love to be in the Opio-calendar, but I'm too paronoid to post my picture. For all I know some of you guys could be my neighbors or coworkers. I'm in the closet so to speak. No one knows about how I self medicate and I plan to keep it that way. :)

Slug- I think I paid 85 for 120, so not too bad. I was going to get more, but what if they don't agree with me ya know?

BTW I'm thinking of revisiting my 'Life Totally Sucks' thread. Just found out my mom has cancer.

that's horrible joy. sometimes there seems to be no fairness in the world. i guess i was hoping the tramadol would help lift your mood. i've been in teh same boat with depressed feelings and trying to medicate with booze, valuim and whatever pills i can get.

i really hope the tramadol helps you as it has helped me

tptptp
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
My friend bought from two companies one was like 30 cents a pop and one was like 40-45 cents a pop ordered from two places in case one didnt come but they both showed up exact same day oddly enough he didnt know which came from who cuz it was the same country and no indicationand one of em gave like a 10% order bonus of trammies so it made the count even harder I think he ended up figuring it out though.

I've heard others claim the foreign ones are the exact same strength-wise as the foreign ones but they seemed a little bit weaker.....and I understand generics are supposed to be just as strong, and when it comes to american generics I have no doubt.

One came blister packed and I think dated the other came sealed in just plastic wrap which I didn't like too much cuz they coulda been old as hell...but they worked.

I-Nod
09-13-2007, 08:13 PM
HELL YEA I'm gonna be in the calender. Below is the picture i submited.

What do ya think? Is it ok for the calender?

GOR

You are a Goddess, GoR! Very pretty pic... I like the touches you added too. I pictured you w/ a pure, white aura around you... clean, good vibes! Guess I was right :D

Very sorry to hear that OhJoy. I recently went through the exact same thing you are about to embark upon (my mother & older sister both had cancer at the same time... both got double masectomies and their reproductive systems removed, not sure what that's called?) This was last year and they are both through chemo and doing fine now.

My younger sister had cancer when she was 2yo (had a 21" tumor and lost a kidney, but perfectly fine now), this was 29 years ago, so our family has seen how far along cancer treatment has come in the past 3 decades... and the treatment has improved leaps and bounds!! I send my best to you and your mother and if you ever need to talk to someone, or just need to vent, PM me - I'd be more than happy to oblige. Take care OhJoy!!

EDIT: Doh! Sincerest apologies for going so off topic... umm... hope the tramadols work good for ya :o does that help any? heh. :o

GoddessofRATs
09-13-2007, 09:25 PM
OhJoy, i am so sorry to hear about your mother. That must have been a blow. We're all here for you ok. PM me if you ever need to talk.

I-Nod... that's sweet of you to say. Some people have told me i have a pure white aura, or as one person put it once "A clean and clear aura." She told me usually children only have those type of aura's, not sure why i have it though.

GOR

StillChippin
09-14-2007, 12:23 AM
i hadnt tried tramadol ever after doing many opiates , but i tried 200 mg a few days ago and felt more of a speedy effect than anything....i felt sedated but no euphoria just didnt want to move and felt tired but couldnt really sleep. not a great opiate, like codiene buzz or less , but thats just me ;)

Majortom
09-14-2007, 04:59 PM
Tramadol works fine for h users, let me tell you my latest w/d schedule given me by a doc. 400 mg to start with first 2 days and then coming off 50 mg for another 3 days and reducing 25 mg relavently.

But let me remind you I was taking other medication w/ it. And I felt just fine even shocked myself how I missed this med. for years over my w/d's...

Surely I should remind for the guys n girls doesn't know me. I ve been on h for long, long time so this may not set an example but wanted to share it cause I ve just experienced it 2 1/2 months ago and worked for a while..

In this case I assume 25 in the morning 25 in the afternoon and 25 in the evening should do the trick, nicely.

GoddessofRATs
09-14-2007, 05:38 PM
That is very common for Tramadol. Trams usually give a speedy effect. Which is why i LOVE to clean when I take it. IF i have a major cleaning project or it's cage cleaning day Tramadol is perfect. It is a good pill however, you will not get that 'Classic' opiate feel from it. It's a tricky little Opiate indeed.

I wish i had some right now, i would use it to potentiate my Morphine for Morphine has a bit of a sedation affect on me which is why i am disliking it more and more. I like good old Oxy, that is my DOC. I bet Oxy and Trams would work great. Next time i have the both gonna give it a whirl.

Tramadol was my DOC for 3 years, it was a great drug for me.... that is until i got the 'Good stuff' from my pm lol. I still love Tramadol, always will.

GOR

i hadnt tried tramadol ever after doing many opiates , but i tried 200 mg a few days ago and felt more of a speedy effect than anything....i felt sedated but no euphoria just didnt want to move and felt tired but couldnt really sleep. not a great opiate, like codiene buzz or less , but thats just me ;)

OhJoy
09-17-2007, 08:53 PM
Hey all- I got the tramadol and I took 100 and felt a little 'up' but nothing more. I had more difficulty sleeping then usual.

I'm going to try some again tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should do it on an empty stomach with hot tea? I always take my doc with hot tea and it's way better that way, so maybe the same with tramadol. I'll let you know.

kyuss
09-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Hey all- I got the tramadol and I took 100 and felt a little 'up' but nothing more. I had more difficulty sleeping then usual.

I'm going to try some again tomorrow. I'm wondering if I should do it on an empty stomach with hot tea? I always take my doc with hot tea and it's way better that way, so maybe the same with tramadol. I'll let you know.

Hey Beautiful,
I'm sorry about your mom.
I hope the trammies help you,
just don't go to high.(seizures)

Hammilton
09-21-2007, 04:28 PM
I recently got 150 50mg tramadol and 250 Somas for absolutely nothing. Quite a deal, eh? Great IOP, I guess. 7 day shipping, too.

If you're injecting, you can take up to 800mg of tramadol daily, as I recall. It's an odd thing, I guess.

Anyway, I find tramadol to be the most nauseating drug I've ever tried (bar one, LSA) and I kinda doubt that the stimulating effect is due to any opioid effects. I also doubt that I get any buzz from the opioid effects (or feel them) because of my suboxone.

I have a fairly severe case of bipolar disorder, and I think it's SE and NE effects may cause mania (I can become hypomanic with higher doses)

OhJoy
09-21-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey Beautiful,
I'm sorry about your mom.
I hope the trammies help you,
just don't go to high.(seizures)

Thanks, I took 150mg and 10mg hydro with a hot cup of tea and it took about 50minutes b4 I felt any relief. I was good for about 4 hours. I guess it will have to do in a pinch.

GOR, I'm curious how much to you typically take? And do you take it alone or with other meds?

Update on mom. She had the surgery a total hysterecomy. And GET THIS They sent her home with 15 (yes 15 pills) of oxycodone 5mg. What is the world coming to?!!!:mad:

Is this normal after such a major surgery? I just don't get it. It also looks like the ROP world is having some problems too. :mad::mad:

Have I mentioned that life totally sucks?

GoddessofRATs
09-21-2007, 05:25 PM
OMG, i can't believe they only sent her home with 15 oxy's and only 5mgs, that is just awful. Sorry to hear that, it just totally sucks.

I typically take 8-10 Tramadol at a time (50mgs). I usually start the day out with 8 and than my second dose i usualy take 10 and then my 3rd dose i take 10, so i can take up to 30 a day but actually one time i took 45 in one day. I don't do that anymore though, i could feel that was way to much.

I usually don't take them with other meds mostly because i don't have other meds or when i have other meds i don't have Trams lol.

GOR

Bluedreamer
09-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Tramadol 50mg i believe 40 or 50 tabs $4.00 at Walmart!

Hammilton
09-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Last time I checked tramadol wasn't on the 4.00 price list at Walmart, at least not in our state (and their idea of an anxiety med is hydroxyzine. nothing scheduled, either).

I honestly think tramadol is about as enjoyable as Effexor. If it hadn't been noted to have an opioid metabolite, it probably would never have been abused. I'd like to see a study of men and women without any history of abuse given the drug and asked to rate it. I checked pubmed and a couple other searches and I couldn't find anything.

I did see a study that found less than 2% (in a group of 1000 plus long term scripts) ever abused it (ie, taken more than prescribed). I think it was 1.6%. Hydrocodone was either 4.6 or 6.4%, I think the latter. That's a huge difference.

GoddessofRATs
09-21-2007, 08:16 PM
Well everyone is different. Just because you didn't enjoy it doesn't mean other's can't. Yes, most people don't like Tramadol but for a small precentage of us can get pretty high off it, including myself. I can even get to a nod with it.

It's just body chemistry, drugs affect every single person differently. Like some people enjoy Morphine and some do not. I used to enjoy Morphine but not anymore but YouWon loves it, it just affects everyone differently and that goes for Tramadol as well.

I'm not saying you did this but i get tired of people saying Tramadol sucks just because they didn't like and that is the end all to it, some people love it or use it to hold of w/d's. I think most people don't give Tramadol a chance. IT doesn't have that classic opiate feel to it, it's a completely different high. I guess some people don't feel the classic high so Tramadol sucks lol. They have to remember that Tramadol feels totally different and no like a classic high.

Anyway. Just because someone doesn't like it doesn't mean it sucks. And just because some people like it doesn't mean it's works great. There are a few of us lucky enough to enjoy Tramadol and get high off of it, although it's rare.

GOR

OhJoy
09-22-2007, 02:21 PM
Yes GOR! Tramadol does NOT suck and for those of you who don't like it, well please qualify it with a 'for me' tramadol sucks. I'm glad GOR was here to mention tramadol, or else I would not have known about it. I'm glad I have tried it and it's def going to help me take breaks from my normal DOC.

Walmart may have tramadol cheap, but you still need an rx so that doesn't help me. :(

I still can't get over the crappy rx given to my mom for post op pain!!

Hammilton
09-22-2007, 05:15 PM
I never said that it sucks. I said that it has roughly the same abuse potential as Effexor. I'd bet that many people couldn't even tell the difference.

I think it's okay, but tramadol isn't an opioid, and it doesn't have any opioid effects. It has a metabolite that does, but I'm not going to call carisoprodol meprobamate because of a metabolite.

Tramadol can't keep withdrawals at bay for me, at least not with 600mg daily (off of 8mg daily suboxone).

GoddessofRATs
09-22-2007, 05:24 PM
Tramadol IS a opiate, every doctor i talk to says it is. It's just a different type of opiate, i don't know the technical part of it. And i didn't say YOU said it sucked, it was a generlization.

I've taken Effexor and they are nothing alike- at least to me. And Tramadol does have abuse potention. I was highly addicted to it for 3 years, if i stopped taking it i got severe withdrawals. Sometimes the w/d got so bad i had to go to the ER for a dilaudid shot and more Trams. Not proud of it.

I think people should read up on it a bit more before stating facts. In fact I'll see what i can find. Also, almost every medication website etc, says Tramadol is an opiate plain and simple.

Ok that being said, i don't want to cause problems. I'm just trying to defend Trammies lol. I'm not taking this out on you Hammilton or directing this towards you. We all have different experiences and different opinions about stuff. So, i just don't want to get into a Tramadol-argument lol.

All is cool, no worries :)

GOR

Hammilton
09-22-2007, 08:09 PM
But tramadol isn't an opiate, plain and simple. The only reason it has any opioid effects are due to a metabolite, the o-desmethyl version, as I recall.

It's pretty obvious looking at the structure that it can't fit into an opioid receptor.

I don't mean to be rude, but I've done years of research into the stuff. I had a doctor once tell me methadone wasn't an opioid. In plain english, don't believe everything you hear.