PDA

View Full Version : Does liquid Methadone = long term tooth damage?

zen
09-04-2007, 04:12 AM
My friend who I met at the clinic has been on the program for 5 years now and her teeth are suddenly getting all messed up! She has been taking the liquid methadone the whole 5 years, since she was 18. Well being only 23, and a healthy girl with a beautiful smile, she tells me that her teeth have always been perfectly normal until now. She cant think of any other culprit other than the 5 years of daily liquid methadone. Basically she has a few cavities, and when the doctor went to drill the teeth, they cracked all they through! Not only that, she was eating some toffe or caramel or some chewey candy bar, and her tooth broke right in half!!!! Fu*king ouch!! Now, from having perfect teeth, to having 3 crack on ya in a few days, that sounds a bit suspicious. She hasnt been using any other drugs, and has been clean for over 3 years.
I personally dont know if this is true or not, but she tells me that this teeth damage thing is common knowledge that all methadone users know about....Sounds like somekind of myth that surrounds almost any popular drug, ya know?! But I have been on the Methadone for 3 months now, and I have recently stablizied on 125mg's a day. Now I am getting worried that the bitter liquid may be causing tooth damage....

So what is the truth about liquid methadone making teeth brittle after so many years???

Synack
09-04-2007, 04:33 AM
AFAIK, the liquid 'done should be free of sugar - ie: for diabetics, etc.

Personally, if I had to take it, I'd rinse afterwards...

zen
09-04-2007, 04:46 AM
Well yeah I rinse afterward.
At the dosing window they have two pitchers, one with water, the other with cool-aid. Personally I like the cool-aid. After I dose, I fill up my dosing cup with cool-aid to get the left over methadone into my system. Then I hit my water bottle until that bitter taste dosent bother me. But no matter how I take the shot of methadone, and no matter how mant times I rinse afterward, I still feel the methadone coating my teeth, and nowdays its been making me cringe as the thoght of a crack-head's smile at 25 years of age keeps pestering my consciense...

freedomclub
09-04-2007, 07:11 AM
Methadone does nothing to your teeth or bones. Not taking care of them will rot them out among other negative things.

rachamim18
09-04-2007, 11:05 AM
The part about both bone damage and tooth damage is nothing but an urban ledgend/myth. The oral formulations come in both sugar free and regfular but even inr egular it does no more damage to your teeth than any other artificially sweetened foodstuff on the market. Just take care of your teeth as you are supposed to and you will be justy fine.

Sadly, in my 17 years on MMT I only met one person, in 2 nations and 2 American states who even knew who had introduced OST to the world, let alone the pharmokineticks of methadone,etc. Most happily lap up whatever rumor is flying around but please, continue to ask questions and educate yourself.

prettypoppy
09-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Here's the "real deal".....Methadone is an opiate. Opiates--all opiates--dry your saliva production, causing dry mouth. Dry mouth=no saliva to wash bacteria away, and the sticky stuff (plaque) on your teeth builds up and the bacteria thrive and voila! Cavities! The methadone itself does not have anything in it that causes tooth decay, rot, etc. It just tends, like all opiates, to make the mouth a favorable environment for decay to take hold. To avoid this, MMT patients need to step up their oral hygeine, stay hydrated, and use products designed for those with dry mouth, such as the Biotyne line (at any drugstore or grocery). This should prevent any problems.

Often times, addicts who get on MMT stabilize and start going to the dentist, brushing, anbd taking care of themselves for the first time in years. Then, the years of neglect suddenly start getting noticed by the dentist, or a long-decayed toothe finally cracks, etc, and the patient says "A-HA! It's that methadone! My street buddy ol' scummy Charlie warned me about this!" and then they go around telling everyone else this story, with a few embellishments for flair, and an urban myth (always with the required grain of truth to start it off) is born. That's how the one about methadone turning your insides orange got started, too.

dirtdog
09-05-2007, 01:49 AM
Id have to agree with pretty poppy
Ive never done methadone on a regualr basis but the dry mouth and salavia cant be good for ur teeth.
My teeth are fine but I still worry cus my moms been doing crack since forever and shes toofless

doctor diesel
09-05-2007, 11:25 AM
My teeth are fine but I still worry cus my moms been doing crack since forever and shes toofless

If she's toofless... then there's nothing to worry about. She can't lose her teeth.
Unless you're worried for you, and you do crack...
No, that's not it.
What you worried about Dog?

Doc

dirtdog
09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
hahaha
its just in the back of my mind
you see all these people losing their teeth
i tend to worry about it
not i dont stress about it ya know?
and no i dont do crack ew
i likes me crank hahaha :rolleyes:
mom said it will give you a heart attack but crack wont?

Saint
09-05-2007, 02:16 PM
God, again this urban myth about methadone. I've used liquid and pillform methadone for 24 years and yes, my teeth were getting bad but NOT because of the methadone. In Europe we use ascorbin/acid/lemonjuice to dissolve the heroine when IV-ing and that's what messes up your teeth. Plus I used speed for a few years when I was 15.. and to be honest I didn't take that much care of my teeth back then. Not the way I'm doing now anyway.
After I quit heroine 8 years ago I only used methadone and my dental health has improved greatly.

NastyZilla
09-05-2007, 03:33 PM
Here's the "real deal".....Methadone is an opiate. Opiates--all opiates--dry your saliva production, causing dry mouth. Dry mouth=no saliva to wash bacteria away, and the sticky stuff (plaque) on your teeth builds up and the bacteria thrive and voila! Cavities! The methadone itself does not have anything in it that causes tooth decay, rot, etc. It just tends, like all opiates, to make the mouth a favorable environment for decay to take hold. To avoid this, MMT patients need to step up their oral hygeine, stay hydrated, and use products designed for those with dry mouth, such as the Biotyne line (at any drugstore or grocery). This should prevent any problems.

Often times, addicts who get on MMT stabilize and start going to the dentist, brushing, anbd taking care of themselves for the first time in years. Then, the years of neglect suddenly start getting noticed by the dentist, or a long-decayed toothe finally cracks, etc, and the patient says "A-HA! It's that methadone! My street buddy ol' scummy Charlie warned me about this!" and then they go around telling everyone else this story, with a few embellishments for flair, and an urban myth (always with the required grain of truth to start it off) is born. That's how the one about methadone turning your insides orange got started, too.

Absolutely and 100% correct. Opiates and certain other drugs can give us dry mouth... and the lack of saliva causes - eventually - rotten teeth. Oh, and chronic bad breath. There are OTC dry mouth preparations and rinses in the toothpaste section of the drug stores, and there are prescription drugs a dentist can prescribe. Be warned, if an opiophile has chronic dry mouth, he/she should look into dealing with it... bad breath and rotten teeth aren't fun, and sure hurt the love life!

rachamim18
09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
"Methadone is an opiate.":Nope. An opiate is a product of the opium poppy. Methadone is instead an OPIOID. Opioids are substances from sources other than the oopium opppy that mimic the actions of opiates.

"Opiates cause dry mouth.": first, this only happens in some people. Secondly, even when it does happen it happens to such a slight degree as to be inconsquential.

"MMT clients stabalise and for the first time in years go to a dentist and this is why problems sudenly seem to have come form methadone.": Absolutely on point with this one. So true. illicit habits tend to make people negelect so many aspects of their life.

prettypoppy
09-09-2007, 08:26 AM
I would not say the dry mouth is "so slight as to be inconsequential". I remember in my years on various opiates/opioids, I had such a dry mouth I couldn't pry my lips off my gums to talk half the time! And it sure wasn't just me--everyone I knew had the same problem, plus it is mentioned over and over in the literature.

As for the opiate/opioid thing, you are correct. I tend to sometimes use the terms interchengably because so many do, but it's true that methadone is an opioid, not an opiate--however, the dry mouth side effects are the same.

trainwrecker
09-09-2007, 12:14 PM
Agreed, methadone does not hurt your teeth. But treating your mouth like shit and eating like shit will.

rachamim18
09-10-2007, 12:42 AM
Oppy: On the terminology, I really should not make a point of it but for soem reason I always do. I excuse it by saying accuracy is everything,etc. but who can say why it really irks me.

As for dry mouth, inconsequential as to the degree which clinical studies have made of the issue. All studies that I am aware of say methadone users are no more or less prone to decay and other problems . I kind of look askance at it though because everyone knows junkies do not take time for teeth cleaning,etc. but this is what the date says...

Tar_Baby
09-10-2007, 04:39 AM
Id say yes.Im assuming you are referring top the red mallinkrodt brand cherry syrup? Shit is loaded with sugar..I never have gotten used to the taste of that shit and preferred the old Biscuits or 40 mg wafers..

freedomclub
09-10-2007, 07:38 AM
but your not soaking your teeth in it or swilling it all day are you? Rach meant
inconsequential as a whole not individually, I believe.

vicious86
09-10-2007, 11:17 AM
I was cavity free until age 28 when i got my frist cavity and started the clinic that year as well. Many people say it doesnt hurt your teeth but since i went on methadone ive got 10 cavities and my mouth is a mess. It def does have a negitive effect on my teeth and my wifes as well.

youwonhundred
09-10-2007, 05:51 PM
Fear not, friends. Technology to the rescue!! I remembered an article I read a few months ago, so I discussed it with our good friend Google, and found an actual product supposed to hit the market soonish, to actually help regrow teeth. Admittedly, it isn't quite as impressive as the original article, which proclaimed that lab-grown teeth were a thing of the near future, but it is, in fact, a damn good start.

http://frostfirecore.com/new-toothpaste-can-regrow-teeth

zen
09-12-2007, 09:49 PM
Rach, thank you for teaching me the difference between opiates and opioids! Yeah misinformation and the potential bothers me too. :p

Poppy, I think you have a very good point about addicts neglecting thier teeth until treatment, then putting the two cases together, kinda like Dubbya's math.

Yet still there seems to be a little skepticism...

freedomclub
09-13-2007, 05:55 AM

reddragon3668
09-13-2007, 06:11 AM
Here we go again... I did not have my first cavity until I was 27... had a perfect smile until I started taking methadone about six years ago. Now, near bout all my teeth are gone and I am in the process of getting dentures.... dry mouth or not, urban legend or not, I am never going to believe that the methadone did not have something to do with it. I've brushed my teeth twice a day, at least, and flossed once a week for as long as I can remember, high or not... One thing I will admit though, and the dentist pointed this out, once I got to where I could not work, I did drink a lot more soda, which is like bathing your teeth in acid all day... but damn, this bad??? End of soap box... :)

mmnyc9
09-13-2007, 06:23 AM
A few years back a Conference was held about the Myths of Methadone, the Title of the Conference was "The Myths of Methadone". Most people don't realize Meth is one of the most studied drugs of all time maybe Aspirin beats it but not by much.

freedomclub
09-13-2007, 08:23 AM
A few years back a Conference was held about the Myths of Methadone, the Title of the Conference was "The Myths of Methadone". Most people don't realize Meth is one of the most studied drugs of all time maybe Aspirin beats it but not by much.

or that they shouldn't call it "meth".

zen
09-15-2007, 08:41 PM
reddragon, i appreciate your feedback! Any more cases alike?

Thebane
09-16-2007, 01:50 PM
slightly OT, but does anyone know how to prevent tooth damage from dry mouth? Whenever I use pods I get horrible dry mouth. Is the only thing to do drink alot of water? I don't have any problems now, but I'm afraid that after long-time use I may.

And dry mouth is what causes habitual meth (not done) users to lose their teeth. Thats pretty much a scientific fact, seen it stated by many reputable sources. And since when I use opies I get VERY noticeable dry mouth I can't see it not being a problem.

jonny-5
09-16-2007, 01:55 PM
if anything its the sugar. and drinking koolaid instead of water would prolly make it worse. but i can assure you that the methadone itself is not damaging teeth.

zen
09-21-2007, 06:37 PM
Gum chewing helps to stimulate your saliva glands, hence the commercials for gum that fights tatar and plaque.
Our clinic gota monthly newsletter run by clients and staff and this would make an intersting topic.
Dragon I bellieve you, although you scare me! If ya dont mind me asking, whats your age?