PDA

View Full Version : Need advice with Sub treatment...

Crow
08-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Hey guys,

Gunna call up a sub doctor this week, try to get myself on bup to lose the killer dope habbit I have right now. Im on my way out the door but I had a few quick questions to shoot at ya before I pop out.

First off, I have no insurance, but I was thinking of lying to the doctor and saying that my parents kicked me out and I have been couch hopping for the past few three or so weeks, in hopes that I might be considered independent. I do not want the doctor calling my parents, I want everything to remain confidential. This includes payment, which I intend to pay in cash at the time of the appointments. Is this realistic? Is there any chance of medi-care picking up anything? I don't know anything about this stuff really, so I have no clue whether I will get any aid or not. How much should I expect to pay for everything (introduction appt., scripts, follow-ups, etc.) if I do not have insurance? If you know of any options that will help me out in my situation then please, gimme some advice. Insurance or no insurance, the $200 atleast a day I spend on dope right now is sure as hell a more expensive habbit. I despise methadone, mainly because I know how dangerous it can be, and I do not have the time to take off work (nor money) to do detox or rehab. I have used subs before when friends have offered them to me, and I am fairly confident that they are the way to go. Any suggestions, comments, advice, anything? Thanks guys, you rule. Wish me luck breaking free of this beast.

P.S. I'm hoping to get a benzo script aswell when I first see the doctor, to help with any withdrawal symptoms I will encounter. Should I ask for any specific drug? I have no preference, valium would be nice, but xanys work too. Same with ativan, though its probably last on my wishlist. Might want some sleeping pills too. Anyways, any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

kazman32
08-25-2007, 08:10 PM
My medicare pays for most of my visit, I end up oweing maybe 20% but I don't cave a co-pay or anything, insurance alos pays for my script as well I only have a 5.35 co-pay there, I think they pills without insurance are around $8 apiece, sorry I really couldn't help you much except to say that sub treatment has been a real help to me, I used to reaaly abuse my sub too though, but I'm learning to do better and take what I'm supposed to, you have to be serious about wanting to stay clean, and up till recenty I was only semi-serious but latley I have realized how sick I am of the whole game.

I wish you the best.

jonny-5
08-25-2007, 08:17 PM
my insurance wont cover it. i had to pay 150 for the first visit, 75 for every visit after that (once a month). i pay $175 for 30 eight mg pills. hope this helps.

Crow
08-25-2007, 09:39 PM
Nice, its good to get all the specifics, I wanna know what Im up against exactly. Thanks again. Kaz, I wish you the best with yr battle too.

I forgot to mention that I am 20 years old,but still living with my parents. Again, I would prefer that my sub treatment goes unnoticed by my parents, but if getting them in on it means saving me shiiiiiteloads, I might be down. They already suspect that I have been using again, and I dont want to let them down anymore, want to handle shit on my own. Thanks!

NastyZilla
08-25-2007, 10:56 PM
Unless you're disabled, Medicare only pays for certain expenses for the elderly.... I forget the qualifying age, but you ain't there yet if you live with your parents.

Medicaid is for the poor, but you have to go through a rigorous process to qualify.

You can pay cash for treatment (I did), but beware the pills are expensive.

Why would the doctor call your parents? If you're 18 or older, the doc can't do that.

If you're under 18, you're not supposed to be on this site. Sorry.

kazman32
08-26-2007, 11:05 AM
I live with my mother too, (father commited suicide long time ago) Hell Im almost 40 I haven't ben right since me and my ex gf split 2 1/2 years ago, I guess I'm 'lucky' I'm on disability, though I want to return to part time work and school sometime and try and get my life together...I wish you the best with your battle let us know how your doing, I know you don't want your parents to know, but it better that you get treatment no matter what....don't let anything discourage you...

Crow
08-26-2007, 12:35 PM
NastyZilla, I am 20. You must have missed my last post. I didn't really think the doctor would call my parents, I was just asking, because I have heard some horror stories. I know they are not SUPPOSED to do that, but we all know the people in charge can really botch shit up. A lot. What are people without insurance paying for the scripts? I've gotten some quotes already, but the more the better. Im gunna give the local doctors a call in a few minutes, try to find someone with a space open for me. I hope this works, and fast. I cant keep up with my habbit much longer.

94accord
08-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Sounds like you are in a situations almost identical to the one i was in when i started the sub program. I was looking in to the program for a while before my parents knew what i was really in to. They did have an idea i was doing shit though. I am 20 also. Well i worried a lot about how i was going to pay for it then one day my cousin was visiting and put my girlfriend on the spot in front of my parents about what i was doing so she pretty much had to tell them what was going on. I must say it was the best thing that ever happened to me, because it pretty much jump started my treatment and i do not think i could be where i am today without my parents help. It helped because i was able to be on my dads health insurance since he retired from the military and he had some other health insurance also. I am not saying your parents will have health insurance that you are under, but it is something you should check out.

I didn't want to hurt my parents by telling them what i was in to, but it really was such a relief after they knew. I was in treatment and on the sub program within a week of my girlfriend telling them. It's just an option you should take in to consideration to possibly help you save a lot of money. Otherwise you will really be spending a lot for your doc visits and your prescription. Subs work out to be about 8 bucks for a 8mg pill so its not cheap. Good luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

betmylife
08-26-2007, 01:27 PM
yah but an 8mg pill is good for a day, sometimes 2......my advice is, try and get 16mg a day...thats what I did, Im not saying you will relapse, but it happens to the best of us....if you get scripted 16mg a day, but only take 8...you will have leftovers .....that will be helpful in a time of economic distress, or if you relapse and need to get back on em....they are a little expensive, my co-pay made me pay $50 a script, but my doc was cool and wrote it for the whole month......also, just say you are having trouble sleeping...the offered me valium off the bat, just make sure you dont tell em you use benzos recreationaly........I now go to the same doctor for pain managment(funny right?) and I still get 20mg of valium a day...plus my measly 30mg of oxy....anyways, good luck with the sub treatment....also ask the doc about clonopin, they help with cravings.....just say you have done alot of research and he will prolly give it to you, clonopin is very cheap, and effective.....cause the subs dont get rid of the cravings for dope, at least not for me.....but anyways good luck man...peace

BML

tptptp
08-26-2007, 02:58 PM
Most insurance does cover subs! W/out it call around pharmacys and ask the price around $6 a pop is good, you wont find em any cheaper then $5 each.....roxi stardust posted a free insurance card on the board somewhere I think can be used on subs and help a bit, I don't think it saves a ton but worth looking at.

The doc visits are the killer if you have insurance.....just look for one at least eventually that has a low rate and low # of req'd visits.....coud save you thousands.

how exactly is methadone dangerous for addicts? I've been on bupe for a while and everytime the switch back seems worse than again I guess I've probably come down off without as much of a break or more amounts of opes prior. Subs nowadays are , eh ok. I think they are workable for some. Don't completely eliminate cravings but it helps. If you plan to switch back and forth between them and your DOC it seems as though it gets harder each time.

Crow
08-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Oh, and to tptptp - a full blown methadone addiction is fucking hell to kick. That in my mind, makes it more dangerous than H itself. Maybe not dangerous as in chance of OD, contaminents in the drug, etc., but I have would rather kick smack then methadone anyday.

Oh crap, I just edited Crow's post instead of quoting it, sorry I'm an idiot...I can't retrieve the old post now, luckily it wasn't long, sorry. This is tptptp's post following....(responding to what crow had posted)

Yeah I'm aware of that just when I saw you say "dangerous" I was curious what you meant.

Bupe doc for $100 the first visit? not likely. It's possible though eventually you want to find a doc whos real cheap I've heard of docs being real low for follow ups but they're rare. In NY you've likely got many choices as we do here in Bmore....I found a good doc starts at $250 and goes down a good bit from there but it covers the whole month regardless of visits. Keep in mind the $300 start up visit may actually be more if the doc makes you come in ten times a month, against the $400 guy whos once a month but definitely call around and compare prices and ask how often they make you come in. Some docs are easy to work with and some are very controlling. Also make sure they do maintenance, some ONLY do detox.

go to naabt.org to find a doctor

I would say on average be prepared to pay like $350 first visit and go down from there. But definitely call around and find a good deal. I went through naabt.org's doctor locator and of the few docs in my area that responded this guy was the only one to give me a personalized response and turns out he was a pretty decent doc.

Also save your pills. Don't buy into the 16 + mg/day thing it will only make you feel worse! That doesn't mean you gotta tell them that.

I'm on subs and thinking of trying done but this has the potential to work, especially if I wouldnt have kept fucking around with it off and on, at some point it becomes a bitch to switch.

jonny-5
08-26-2007, 04:05 PM
hey crow, i just moved back with my parents too, and they thought i was clean. i told them about this "new medication" that cures the craving without getting me high, and that i wanted to get on it as a preventative measure, plus to cure the depression of not having anything at all, and they went for it. this approach might work for you.

EDIT: the doctor never once asks about your parental info anyways and theres no way a doctor is going to call an ADULTS parents on them.

Crow
08-26-2007, 08:40 PM
Jonny, that IS a good idea....If parental aid is needed, thats the excuse I will use to convince them. They have a bud who is a heroin addict, who has explained methadone/subs to them, so they might know that I have a habbit if I ask to be put on buprenorphine. Plus, if they ask to see my arms, I'll have the answer to their question tattooed to my veins..

If I need to tell my parents, I will. At this point, its not a necessity, so I'd rather avoid it. I dunno, I know they would rather I tell them while Im still hooked on shit, but Id rather spill the beans once Im offa smack, back on the track to sucessful life. Know what I mean?

I downed a full handle of whiskey (not to mention shot a bundle of goodness) within the past half hour, so if Im fumbling up my attempts at making a valid point, then please excuse.

Have a good night everyone, may all the sick ones out there be saved by their dealer, or for what its worth, good luck.

Duckfeet
08-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I was laughing, because I'm a lot older than any of you, and sooner or later, I'll probably be having to move back in with *my* mom, just so somebody can drive her around ;-) And I think if yer parents understood subs, they'd probably be in favor of them, u won't get any buzz, and certainly no noticable high or anything, maybe just a slight "feeling better," about an hr after taking one, IMO.

For me, the sub website, NAABT.org was very helpful, and particularly good for getting a doc, near me. I paid all my own way, and I get medicare disability along w/VA pension, and neither paid for this. After initial visit, around $75, I pay fifty bucks a visit, once a month, and get monthly script from doc, which costs ten bucks a pill, and I get subutex, which I prefer, since there's less crap in it. I don't fix'em. Tried it, thought it sucked. I'd shoot for 8mgs a day subs, then actually try to cut to 4mg, as with subs, less is more, then you'll be fine, save money and pills....

I believe yer youth and movitation make subs a good call. Me being a lot older--56--and lot of years on heroin and other stuff, motivation not too good, and subs didn't work so good, for me, but they often work good, and are much easier than clinic, and even if it irritates me, I kind of agree that methadone can be a real bear, dammit. I'm at 100mg daily, and thinking of trying to cut it in half, since it has some crappy side effects I can't seem to shake..

Best wishes to you

tptptp
08-26-2007, 10:10 PM
$10 each? ouch! I dunno if the price varies much from tex to the regulars but I'd shop around you should be able to get em for about $6 a piece, even that can be a bitch but less is more and after getting stable you probably wont need more than one a day, if one at all.

Crow
08-27-2007, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the info, keep the good stuff coming.

Duckfeet, I've seen a lot of your posts on the boards recently, and I just wanted to say that you seem to know your shit more than most. Plus, you are a damn cool guy. I can tell we have similar minds, only difference is you have a few decades on me. Anyways, good luck with the battle.

mikells43
08-27-2007, 10:30 PM
good luck getting a benzo scipt. alot of sub docs will not give benzos and alot test for benzos before even starting u. u can't go in there thinking ur gonna get a candy shop to choose from. also u will not get shit for withdrawl when on subs. NONE so yea go for it. and most docs want cash only cause insurance dont cover it. it will cover ur pills tho. good luck

NastyZilla
08-27-2007, 11:05 PM
good luck getting a benzo scipt. alot of sub docs will not give benzos and alot test for benzos before even starting u. u can't go in there thinking ur gonna get a candy shop to choose from. also u will not get shit for withdrawl when on subs. NONE so yea go for it. and most docs want cash only cause insurance dont cover it. it will cover ur pills tho. good luck

This is absolutely right re: benzos. The literature on subs clearly states that you're not supposed to take benzos while on subs (I'm sure exceptions exist, but I doubt your doc will give you benzos, at least not the first visit).

Just stick with getting the subs. Oh, and HAVE FAITH in the subs. THEY WORK, seriously they do. Assuming the dosage on the subs is correct, you will not need any benzos or anything else for w/d symptoms because you will not have w/d symptoms.

EDIT - oops, hit post too soon -

To me, subs were "transparent" to use. You don't have to worry about 'acting funny' on subs unlike other drugs because you will not get high (at the right dose), you won't have w/d symptoms (at the right dose) and you are not constanting popping pills or whatever your DOC is, so it's really pretty easy to hide. NO ONE except my sub doctor knew I was on them.

Are you going to use your parents health insurance? If so, the EOB (explanation of benefits) will go to their home, and YOU DO NOT WANT THAT unless you explain to them first. If you're paying cash or have your own insurance, you can just tell your sub doc how confidential this is to you. Remember, substance abuse professionals are extememly tuned into privacy concerns, and most states (as well as federal law) provide greater privacy protection for substance and alcohol abuse treatment than for almost any other type of medical treatment.

Best wishes, Crow. I believe in subs. I believe in you. You'll be fine!

tptptp
08-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Are you going to use your parents health insurance? If so, the EOB (explanation of benefits) will go to their home, and YOU DO NOT WANT THAT unless you explain to them first. If you're paying cash or have your own insurance, you can just tell your sub doc how confidential this is to you. Remember, substance abuse professionals are extememly tuned into privacy concerns, and most states (as well as federal law) provide greater privacy protection for substance and alcohol abuse treatment than for almost any other type of medical treatment.

Good to know since I'm back on my rents insurance in school....first time being on someone elses coverage.

Crow
08-28-2007, 10:55 AM
This is absolutely right re: benzos. The literature on subs clearly states that you're not supposed to take benzos while on subs (I'm sure exceptions exist, but I doubt your doc will give you benzos, at least not the first visit).

Just stick with getting the subs. Oh, and HAVE FAITH in the subs. THEY WORK, seriously they do. Assuming the dosage on the subs is correct, you will not need any benzos or anything else for w/d symptoms because you will not have w/d symptoms.

EDIT - oops, hit post too soon -

To me, subs were "transparent" to use. You don't have to worry about 'acting funny' on subs unlike other drugs because you will not get high (at the right dose), you won't have w/d symptoms (at the right dose) and you are not constanting popping pills or whatever your DOC is, so it's really pretty easy to hide. NO ONE except my sub doctor knew I was on them.

Thanks for the good thoughts guys, you are the best.

About the benzos though, the sticky page on top of this forum that explains everything about buprenorphine says that there is a good chance to get something else to help with the unrest. Im just going with what a lot of people have told me. Either way, the subs are the most important script I guess. Valium wouldnt hurt though..... ;)

Duckfeet
08-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it depends on the doc. So many addicts, when they get on methadone *or* subs, just really want more of a "buzz" so often shoot for benzos w/the deal. IMO that's why methadonians, and any t.v. show showing people on methadone, they always look like drooling idiots, since they are usually all full of benzos for the camera shoot: hey, no stress, man...

You seem pretty savvy tho, so you'll be able to tell right away what kind of doc it is, and whether or not they are going to be "liberal" or tough...

best wishes to you

Inspektahdek
08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
I think I get 4mg K-pins a day when I get my subs filled, taken in .5 increments if my memory serves correct. Depends on the doctor, lol, mine was scripting me 32mg bupe a day and 4mg k-pin a day, heh

mikells43
08-29-2007, 11:02 PM
i think u would have to to have a pretty cool doc here in the states to give u 4/1mg kpins daily on top of bupe. i read somewhere that there have been over 200 documented overdose deaths with bupe and benzos mixed. for me benzos dont get boosted by bupe but i stay away from them cause i develop a hell of an addiction to them even if i just take a few i get w/d symptoms that include emmense paranoia and that sucks let me tell u. but like i said alot of docs test u for benzos and if u have any in ur system then say goodbye to getting a sub script that visit. so my advise would be not to fuck with them untill u kno the docs rules. i called a sub doc early in my addiction when i had a moment of clarity and wanted to actually try to get clean and he asked if i took benzos, and i was scripted them, he said u cannot take benzos with the bupe, and i will not be able to help you until you can give me a clean urine benzo free, cause he did not want that liability. also i have a friend who is in a halfway house right now cause he took xanax when on subs for opiates. well he traded addictions and within 2 weeks was immeditly hooked both mentally and physcally on the xanax and over 5 months kept getting the dosage upped. well i told him at first that its dangerous to take them and not to mention when ur not getting opiates ur brain wants something to get u high so u will go to something without even realizing that is reality and before u kno it ur just taking something to ease the day up and ur fucking hooked on it .. now wht, theres no bupe for benzo withdrawl lol. so id stay away form them esp if ur trying to clean up, cause ike i said , the addictsbrain is funky and u might just be taking them for the wrong reason and before u kno it ur hooked on something else. and benzo withdrawl is hell like i said. im just trying to give u some advice cause ive been there with those little bastards(benzos) and they will win each time. good luck

Crow
08-31-2007, 06:22 AM
Yeah, benzo w/d is a mindfuck (and bodyfuck, for that matter). Still, some Klonopin or Valiums would be a good thing to get, just in case I needed something to take the edge off of that 12 hours of sickness before I can take the bup. Just my opinion. Wouldnt kill me if I didnt get em though.

Inspektahdek
08-31-2007, 12:54 PM
i think u would have to to have a pretty cool doc here in the states to give u 4/1mg kpins daily on top of bupe. i read somewhere that there have been over 200 documented overdose deaths with bupe and benzos mixed. for me benzos dont get boosted by bupe but i stay away from them cause i develop a hell of an addiction to them even if i just take a few i get w/d symptoms that include emmense paranoia and that sucks let me tell u. but like i said alot of docs test u for benzos and if u have any in ur system then say goodbye to getting a sub script that visit. so my advise would be not to fuck with them untill u kno the docs rules. i called a sub doc early in my addiction when i had a moment of clarity and wanted to actually try to get clean and he asked if i took benzos, and i was scripted them, he said u cannot take benzos with the bupe, and i will not be able to help you until you can give me a clean urine benzo free, cause he did not want that liability. also i have a friend who is in a halfway house right now cause he took xanax when on subs for opiates. well he traded addictions and within 2 weeks was immeditly hooked both mentally and physcally on the xanax and over 5 months kept getting the dosage upped. well i told him at first that its dangerous to take them and not to mention when ur not getting opiates ur brain wants something to get u high so u will go to something without even realizing that is reality and before u kno it ur just taking something to ease the day up and ur fucking hooked on it .. now wht, theres no bupe for benzo withdrawl lol. so id stay away form them esp if ur trying to clean up, cause ike i said , the addictsbrain is funky and u might just be taking them for the wrong reason and before u kno it ur hooked on something else. and benzo withdrawl is hell like i said. im just trying to give u some advice cause ive been there with those little bastards(benzos) and they will win each time. good luck

I believe most of those deaths were from IV bupe use (subutex, etc.) and benzo combination, particularly in France, check the google machine :)

chopstix
08-31-2007, 02:58 PM
And I wouldn't be surprised if the users were either opiate naive or there were exceptional doses of something involved. I think most addicts would have little problem with a dose of sub and a reasonable benzo dose. I was mixing the two regularly with only slight potentiation of the sub.

I almost got a script but the Doctor was a jerk and it didn't work out for a couple reasons, but he knew that I'm scripted valium and he was willing to write for Subutex. It just depends on the doc..

Mikells43: Glad you beat that one man (benzo addiction), it's a fight I'm not looking forward too..

flipside
08-31-2007, 03:31 PM
Interesting about the benzo's ans sub doc's. I know all about the done clnics and benzo's BC I've been on K-pins scripted for 30 years now for a severe panic disorder, the clinic here refused me, after I faught and got them to take me in spite of being told" I belonged in pain management"

Well duh, ain gonna happen anytime soon.,if ever. Although i do have an appointment with a new Pm doc the end of Sept. Not sure if I'm gonna get anywhere and I can't go on like this for aother 3 1/2 weeks.

Yesterday after a complete meltdown I went to the naabt site and could not find any sub docs in my area, i did find 6 within a 60 mile radius though. I also could not find ANY medical detox for narcotics in a 50 mile radius, plenty for alcohol but none for narcotics. Lots of after care rehbs both in and outpatient.

I called a sub doc's office about 37 miles from me and the first thing the nurse asked me was if I had been detoxed yet? told her no, she transfered me to the medical detox unit in the hopsital this Dr works out of. They were so nice, after 30 calls of doors being slammed in my face it was such a relief.

The way they work it is I go inpatient for the first 48 hours so I can be watched for dehydration, BP, etc, etc, and then after DC I go immediately across the street to the outpatient center to see the sub Dr who will dose me in his office for 4 days, adjusting the dose, and doing group. Then I get my script for a months supply..with monthly follow up visits.

I'm on meicaid and medicare and called, they will cover all expenses, inpatient, doctor visits and my prescription. the max allowable for RX's is 8mg per day..that's all they will pay for. Should be more than enough. Not sure if I am going to really do maintenence or just see if I can sucessfully detox with them..but will go as if I am going the maintenece route and will have to stick with it if nothing pans out at PM.

Wow I went off topic, point was about the benzo's. one of the first things they nurse told me when she was running down the list of meds I would be getting was a benzo, trazedone for sleep, flexaril for muscle spasms and phenergan for N & V. ( Iv for hydrtion if nec) also possibly an anit-histamine I guess for the watery eyes etc. It's almost the exact same meds they used at both sub detox places i went to when I lived in Baltimore.

So it's part of their regimine to give other meds for detox initially while ajusting the dose. Let me tell ya, it's huge relief. Wanted MMT but no way can I come off the benzo's.

To whoever it was that said they were from Baltimore Bayview has a sub detox and maintenence program that's free. So does partners in recovery (associated with Sheppard Pratt)

Well I went way OT, srry bout that...I'm just so relieved to finally have found a program to help and one that dosen't want me to come off my benzo's.

To the Op best of luck. If you think your parents will be spportive..tell them. if you don't hve to do this alone..why do it? My son just cme clean with his grandmother whom he liveswith in b more and she andd my father got him inot sub treatment and are helping him with transpo, suppoert, etc. As a parent i can assure you I am glad my son confided in me and allowed me to help. It took away a lot of tht feeling helpless to do nything for him..but I had to wait for him to be ready. Sounds like you are. I hope whatever route you decide to go with your parents it works out for you
best of luck

Duckfeet
08-31-2007, 05:53 PM
Flip: good thinking. I know when we were talking the other day, I didn't even think of subs...but with the Klonopin they will probably be *way* better than just detoxing. And if m'done is really off limits for now, which I think is a crime, maybe this will be o.k. The subs *did* work, for me, as far as getting rid of withdrawal symptoms, and first time, I really don't remember much of craving....don't really remember much of anything...which ain't the drugs, it's the age I'm afraid :-(

But in any case, this could work out really good, if they will pay for it, plus u don't have to play near as many games getting subs, once u get the system going o.k...

So good move on yer part, and wish u best of luck of course....
df

mikells43
08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
[

Mikells43: Glad you beat that one man (benzo addiction), it's a fight I'm not looking forward too..[/quote]

It is doable, and ive done it mabey 4 times, cause for some reason each time i take a benzo i get hooked as fuck and it is a binge thing. but i havn't touched them heavly for a while now, i did have that bought with serex at the beginning of august but i won that one and it was only 10 pills that i spread out over 8 days. my best advice for kicking benzos would be to not stay to urself for that whole time that u feel like shit, cause ur gona be paranoid as fuck no matter what, for the first couple days yea u can chill out and vegitate, but then get ur ass out and do shit, no matter if its grocery shopping, ur anxiety is gonna be high, just remember htat u can get throu it and that it will end, for benzo withdrawl it gets worse before it gets better, so its gonna get really shitty then start to get better daily, . dont take anything to fuck the detox up thats the next advice, as bad as u wanna end it DONT do it, cause that just prolongs it. then when its done and ur back to feelin allright, dont take anouther benzo so u have to go throu the process all over again. thats my best advice on how to detox form benzos, its deff not easy but it is doable and takes time and work. u can take phenobarb to ease up the pain some, or if ur sezure prone, but id reccommend not to take anything to prolong the detox. my benzo use has allways been in binges, like id get some a bottle of 60 or whatever, eat them in 10 days, get more go on for short peroid of time and end up ina lot of pain from my brain getting hooked yet again so my detoxes were allways very very harsh and painful cause i take benzos and black out and eat the whole bottle and loose weeks at a time when i used them. but im sure u can do it. u just have to wanna be done.

Opiyum
09-01-2007, 02:19 AM
Hey guys,

P.S. I'm hoping to get a benzo script aswell when I first see the doctor, to help with any withdrawal symptoms I will encounter. Should I ask for any specific drug? I have no preference, valium would be nice, but xanys work too. Same with ativan, though its probably last on my wishlist. Might want some sleeping pills too. Anyways, any help would be great. Thanks in advance!

Hey man good luck with your appointment I dont know if you've already gone at this point or not because I only read your first post but I thought I would tell you that you may have trouble getting a benzo prescribed at the same time from your sub doc.

Many will do this and I was able to get 20 Mazzies a month along with my 42 subs but this was cut short one day when I had to change my appointment to a different time and because of this I had to see one of the other docs in the office. Once he saw I was precribed banzo's to he immediately said he wouldn't fill that for me and at my next appointment with my original doc he said he was no longer allowed to give me it either.
It's funny cause I never actually abused it and only used it as intended since I always have trouble sleeping no matter what drug I may be using at any time.

I'm getting off track but the point is it's prbably a 50/50 chance if they will prescribe both and if they do they probably will stop at some point and tell you you dont need them anymore.

Once again good luck.

Crow
09-14-2007, 07:04 PM
So I finally found a doctor and set up an appointment, next wednesday is the day. Soo stoked, I can't even begin to tell you guys how hard its been keeping myself high and well with the five bundle a day habbit I have. I'll tell ya how everything works out, wish me luck!

Oh, and I told my parents, and they were happy that I found something to get me off dope. So, you guys were right on that one. I was just holding off until the right time, Im glad I told em though. They cant help me with the money situation, but just having them on my side is a big help.

mikells43
09-14-2007, 08:43 PM
im sure u realize the insanity of addiction. and also u realize that once you are clean that you canot just take one. suboxone or no suboxone its the principal of the therey. if u take one u willl realise your addiction all over again. everyone who has went back out allways says it gets 10 times worse than it was before. so just dont take that first one and ull be good. also i suggest 12 step progs. they saved my ass.

Crow
09-19-2007, 10:48 PM
Saw the doc today, paid $116 with no insurance for my first visit, in cash right then and there. Got a script of three 8 mg Subs a day for a week (which is until I see him again, then monthly there after), but still havent done the switch off dope because cant afford the copay or risk of missing work from precipitated withdrawals or unexpected side affects until this weekend. Doc says I probably will not need all that is scripted, may only need two a day, but I have the feeling I will say I need them even if I don't really, so I can stock pile for emergencies, or give my fiance some for her to taper easily. 24 mgs of Suboxone a day is a pretty heaping dosage to my knowledge...Isn't it? Probably wont try taking all of it at first, I'll start off low in case it makes me feel shitty. Anyone know how much 21 pills will cost me? It doesn't say it on the prescription. Im guessing, yet dreading, that I'll be paying almost two hundred big ones a week just to be well. Someone please enlighten me, or maybe even cheer me up if I am thinking way above how much they will actually cost. Still thinking about asking for a benzo when I see the doctor next, I know a lot of doctors would shut out the idea immediately, but I don't see the harm in asking for something that can potentially help me get sleep. (I often times suffer from insomnia, especially when even the least bit sick or during a switch off dope, so I'm expecting the transition to cause atleast a fair lack of shut-eye. Would there be any harm in saying that I have tried valium/xanax before and while I do not find them to hold any recreational value, they have helped me sleep well in the past? Sleeping pills might be an easier alternative, better than nothing, but I would definately prefer a benzo. Anyone got any suggestions? The doctor was very impressed with my knowledge on opiates, buprenorphine, and methadone and said I was the most educated patients he has ever had. Quite frankly, I suspect I knew more than him about the subject, not to be cocky, but kind of a scary thought. Anywho, thanks for listening guys, I'll keep posting how my treatment is working/not working (keep your fingers crossed) if you all dont mind, maybe it will answer some questions for people who are about to begin taking bup. Good luck to anyone in a similar position!

P.S. One more question, the doctor wants me to get my blood tested before next weeks appoinment....how much does this normally run? I've heard Planned Parenthood does free blood tests, but the guy seemed to think that was only for AIDS/HIV and not Hepatitis as well. I'm really hoping so far that the amount of money I'm pouring into cleaning up will be worth every penny.

mikells43
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
great news. and if u take ur last shot at nite lets say 12am. wake up in the am and are sick u can go on sub. ill post a link for a prec w/d chart that has a w/d scale on it so u can get ur score. sorry for the late reply. also thats cheap for a doc. id keep his ass. use this chart(the 2nd page on the pdf to score ur w/d ) if u score over 10 u are good. but read the whole chart. http://www.naabt.org/documents/NAABT_PrecipWD.pdf

good luck let me know how ur doing. or u can email me ill give u my im.

Crow
09-21-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks for that withdrawal chart, I've never seen anything like it, good information. I'm going to make the jump from dope to bup tomorrow. Got my last few (for awhile, atleast) bundles tonight, gunna slam em down in only one or two glorious shots, then I'll fall asleep. Tomorrow morning and early afternoon I will bite the bullet and get sick, hopefully I will sleep most of the 12+ sick hours away, but for some reason I don't think snoozing will come as easy as I'm hoping. Once I feel sick enough and just cant take anymore, thats when the I'll start taking the suboxone. All of my friends who go to sub doctors in the area are bieng prescribed klonopin along with their subs, so I am going to ask about that at my next appointment on wednesday. Another thing the doc wants me to have done by then is a blood test. My friend is telling me I can just go to Planned Parenthood and get it done for free, but the doctor seemed to think that was for HIV/AIDS only, not Hep C, and the others. Anyone know if this is true? What is the general cost of a blood test, if I do in fact have to pay at a hospital? There is a blood drawing station where my doctor is located, but I know for a fact that it costs money, what I don't know is how much exactly. Any estimates? Anyway, its all I can do to even sit up and type right now, so I'm gunna go enjoy myself with some friends. I told ya, its my last night of dope fun for awhile, gotta go milk it for what it's worth. Thank you all, and may your night be as good as mine, dope or no dope.

chopstix
09-21-2007, 05:40 PM
Another thing the doc wants me to have done by then is a blood test. My friend is telling me I can just go to Planned Parenthood and get it done for free, but the doctor seemed to think that was for HIV/AIDS only, not Hep C, and the others. Anyone know if this is true? What is the general cost of a blood test, if I do in fact have to pay at a hospital? There is a blood drawing station where my doctor is located, but I know for a fact that it costs money, what I don't know is how much exactly. Any estimates?

I got a quote for a full STD panel a couple years ago from PP, including HCV and it was like $14. Make sure you ask for HCV because a lot of test panels don't cover it.